• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need to talk about Bojack Horseman

Subtle

I think you kind of need to be a "bad person" to like the show's drama. I like it because a lot of things Bojack does are things I have done/would do. Going through a rough patch right now and this show is the most helpful thing I could have.

I'm trying to re-watch season 1 again after really disliking it when it first came out. It's still not hooking me. I think I'll still try and power through , but so far I'm hating it yet again. I think one of the minor yet important issues I'm having with it is that I find the animation really ugly. The characters look gross to me. The overall aesthetic is just really bad and it's not helping my enjoyment.

Parham

Banned
I love the show. I've watched every season at least three times. It's one of my all-time favorites and resonates with me a lot personally.

I'm trying to re-watch season 1 again after really disliking it when it first came out. It's still not hooking me. I think I'll still try and power through , but so far I'm hating it yet again. I think one of the minor yet important issues I'm having with it is that I find the animation really ugly. The characters look gross to me. The overall aesthetic is just really bad and it's not helping my enjoyment.

Compared to Family Guy and American Dad, the animation and art is Pixar quality. Seriously, all the character designs in Family Guy are so damn ugly that I can't tell what's supposed to be attractive in that universe. They don't even have that endearing, quirky visual style that helps win the viewers over like Simpsons or Bob's Burgers.

At least with Bojack, the humans resemble actual humans.

10 eps in now. The last few have been so much better than the previous ones, so if it only gets better next season I'm very glad I pushed through those first ones.

Farmboy

10 eps in now. The last few have been so much better than the previous ones, so if it only gets better next season I'm very glad I pushed through those first ones.

Honestly, it's just the early episodes of season 1 where it's still finding its footing. From the latter half of S1 onward, it's just fantastic. Maybe a few individual weaker episodes but largely consistently great, with some of the best episodes of any tv show included.

So yeah, if you're not on board by, say, S01E07, you can give up. The show is probably not for you. It won't be for everyone.

But for me, it's up there with Better Call Saul and Rick & Morty as one of the best shows still running. The show it reminds me of the most may be Louie, in the way it combines absurdism and great humor with honest, sometimes gut wrenching emotions. And as dark as it gets, it remains fundamentally a show about hope.

Everyday it gets a little easier.

ehead

Season 4's episode 9 killed me. S4 has very some unique styles, I loved it. I just recommended this show to my brother and his wife. They were not "in" at first because of the show's presentation but I told them to stick with it.

TheOasis

So yeah, if you're not on board by, say, S01E07, you can give up. The show is probably not for you. It won't be for everyone.

Personally, the show didn't hook me in until season 2 which is where, in my opinion, the show hits it's stride and just continues to deliver high quality content consistently. S1 has some stand out episodes for sure but a lot of what the first season sets up doesn't come to fruition and pay off until S2, and it's very powerful stuff when it does. I'd recommend that anyone who wants to watch this to, at the very least, get to the second season before they decide to whether on not they want to drop it.

Personally, I hated a lot of what I saw in S1 but adored almost everything from S2 ep1 and beyond.

I like it a bit but that's it, even though I suffer from depression, I can't relate to them unfortunately. Sometimes I say "yeah that's me, I would totally do that shitty thing" and some others times I'm just "come on, you're pushing it too far". Maybe because even though I'm on the same conditions as these characters I'm still living a whole different live so I'll probably don't understand them completely. And I already forgot three quaters of these episodes

Still a decent show, S04E11 moved me.

charliebear

Neo Member
I think Bojack needs to be characterized more as a drama with comedy elements and not the other way around. Seems like perception for those who haven't seen the show or only have a few episodes under their belt find it bad because it's not all that funny. I kind of agree that while there are some good references, hilarious puns, and absolutely deep cuts, the meat and potatoes of Bojack are how the characters are portrayed and how relateable an animated horse can be when it comes to the human condition and all of the shit that comes with it.

I can agree with you on this being the case for Bojack, but not for the reasons you describe.

I think this too. First time I tried couple years back I didn't make it past episode 4. Tried again after being urged to by friends with the mindset of it but being comedy and loving it. Still got another session to go.

Also weirdly reminiscent of Arnet's Flaked.

Darkwater

I've only watched s04e06, the one about depression. I thought the inner monologues, decision paralysis, outbursts of anger and escapisms were very apt. The ending was quite a killer, too, and they kept it nice and subtle.

The daughter asks Bojack if those thoughts and feelings of utter worthlessness were just teenager things that went away. Bojack hesitates and says yes.

This is all I know about the show. Good episode, I guess. Good voice acting by some familiar voices from Arrested Development, Community, Breaking Bad..

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I still watch the show and there are a few standout episodes that have been mentioned already. But for the most part I find the show tedious and need to watch it sped-up.

Like many things, the fanbase is probably the worst part about the show. Especially on the reddit subforum, it's pretty ludicrous to see everybody tripping over themselves to proclaim how much they cried or how depressed they are when watching.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Like many things, the fanbase is probably the worst part about the show. Especially on the reddit subforum, it's pretty ludicrous to see everybody tripping over themselves to proclaim how much they cried or how depressed they are when watching.

what's your premise here? that they're lying?

Zubz

Banned
Like I said in the other thread, this is Cow and Chicken for adults.

What?

Bojack Horseman is really Evangelion for furries.

The last episode of season 1 made me realize that

What?

I'm see Bojack as its own beast, so to speak. I can't think of any show like it. The show hits a lot of dramatic notes, but it's mixed in with an absurdist-yet-dad-like sense of humor that's only there because the show's a cartoon about animal people, & that's all it was supposed to be.

Bob-Waksberg was told to pitch a show, & only made it about animals because Hanawalt primarily drew animals. The show was a happy accident, so I don't think it'd be feasible to see another show like it. I apologize if it sounded rude at all. It's just that Cow & Chicken is too absurdist & lacked any emotional moments that I can recall as an adult, & Evangelion is arguably in the same "not easily comparable to anything" boat, to my knowledge (Never saw it), so I'm genuinely unsure about how these comparisons were made.

What we really need to talk about is beloved character actress Margo Martindale. Such a wildcard, I wonder what she's up to now.

This season felt too quiet without her. I think she was just mentioned on one of the MSNBSea tickers during one of Keith Olberman's character's parts.

That said, I'm pretty sure she's spending time with her family now...

dm9t11apdocvkdhka8t4.jpg

The joke is that she's playing Ma Beagle in the DuckTales reboot... Meaning that Beloved Character Actress Margot Martindale is again playing a brutal criminal mastermind.

Fun Fact: I listened to an NPR piece that insistently referred to her as "Beloved Character Actress Margot Martindale." At least twice using those exact words.

Sotha Sil

I tried giving the series another shot but there's always something missing or out of place. A few jokes land here and there ; a few manifestations of depression ring true. But I never know how to place my empathy. The show's world is so inherently stupid and absurd that I can't bring myself to feel for the "normal, sad people"'s existential woes, for example.

Season 4 spoilers :
Take the underground episode. As usual, background characters and Peanutbutter himself are painted as vapid, one-note morons who can easily be turned into cannibalistic cultists. What am I supposed to feel when Diane's wondering what's wrong with her, and saying Peanutbutter's the best thing that ever happened to her ? That's not even mood whiplash, that's just empty and meaningless.

The show is divided between hopelessly stupid characters and depressed-but-normally-smart ones : I find the first group uninteresting and the second's plight made meaningless by the first. Context ruins most of the emotional heft as far as I'm concerned.

Aaaaand I'll leave things at that before further venturing into "stop liking what I don't like" territory.

Wag

I just binged the whole series.

As someone who suffers from chronic anxiety and depression, season 4's, "Stupid Piece of Shit" episode really got to me. It was difficult for me to watch. It really demonstrates how crippling chronic anxiety can be.

I have a love hate thing with bojack horseman. Whenever it tries to be a somewhat serious character drama, it's pretty good. But a lot of the times when its trying to be funny, it isn't. Todd truly is the worst, he's responsible for most of the unfunny slap stick B stories, and he doesn't fit in with any of the cast.

It's close to true greatness but I feel like a lot of its wackier stuff holds it back. Season 4 was the most consistent season yet but a lot of the stuff involving Todd fell really flat. The show handles the hard topics really well but fumbles in a lot of the smaller areas, it's frustrating at times.
In one episode Bojack drives Sarah Lynn to a fatal overdose and in the very next episode LA is being taken over by spaghetti noodles or some shit. Its tonally all over the place.

Top Bottom