• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

fantastic bluray idea.

so far my ranking is:

Dawn
original Planet of the Apes
Rise

will see War in a couple days, pretty excited for that. I don't recall any of the old planet of the apes sequels but there were probably a few good ones in there. The first with charlton heston was a great sci fi.

the tim burton movie sucked but the evil ape in there was pretty terrifying. Tim Roth and the makeup department killed it.
apes72_riotfinal1.jpg

I'd easily put Conquest of the Planet of the Apes below the original in that ranking. Essential viewing. It's the most political of the lot. Haven't seen War yet.

-2011 on neogaf

To be fair by 2011 there had been one good MCU movie (Iron Man) and 4 bad ones. Thor and Captain America where so bad that I didn't see another Marvel movie in theaters until Age of Ultron. So if you had asked me in 2011 I would have said the same thing.

Pachimari

I'm surprised Wish Upon is only at 20%. It was my impression it was to be the best horror movie of the year.

Spider-Man earned $117,027,503 in its Opening Weekend domestically?

ZeoVGM

Banned
To be fair by 2011 there had been one good MCU movie (Iron Man) and 4 bad ones. Thor and Captain America where so bad that I didn't see another Marvel movie in theaters until Age of Ultron. So if you had asked me in 2011 I would have said the same thing.

The vast majority of people do not consider Captain America to be a bad movie.

kswiston

I noticed you said 30 years instead of the 15 i think you were talking before (referring to Spider Man 1's run?), has the run become even more extraordinary? What made the 15 turn into 30? :p

30 years in terms of legs. Well almost 30 years. Batman 89 had better legs. Blade 1 did as well, but Blade was a minor film compared to any of the big releases today.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I was surprised at reading a couple of posts that said 'War was bad', hm.
I wouldn't call it bad, but I would say, you have to have some major suspension of disbelief to make the plot work. It's also rather slow and feels as if not a lot happens. I think people were wanting more out of the last movie in the trilogy.

Jawmuncher

That's one hell of a drop for Spider-Man. Wonder why. People tired of the Spidey as a kid regardless if the movie is good?

Busty

Banned
Yeah I imagine none of them are outright bad, but exist in the it was fun but forgettable realm.

Captain America has a good first twenty or thirty minutes but the second and third acts are the very definition of lazy, go nowhere story telling.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
At the first time, I didnt enjoyed Captain America not that much. I liked it, but nothing more.
As I grow more fond of Cap and Chris Evans, and rewatched it in the light of Civil War starting in the cinema, I really started to love it.

Penguin

�� Who's strong and brave here to save the American way? ��

The musical number is the peak of the movie for me.

And just to be fair before someone says something, not saying these movies are bad, but most movies we watch just kind of exist as "oh right I saw that"

In 2011, at least among friends, it was: hey, X-Men First Class* was pretty good. Thor and Captain America were mediocre. Green Lantern was a trash fire.

Many years later, that hasn't changed much for me. Online, it seems First Class and Captain America are seen better in retrospect.

Again at the time, it was hard to get excited for Avengers after Iron Man 2, TIH, Cap TFA, and Thor. Wasn't until Iron Man shows up in Germany that it picked up and it ended up being pretty good.

*quick note: this was after X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins Wolverine, so there was skepticism going into First Class. Plus you had those awful posters.

kmfdmpig

Spiderman was ok, not bad but not putting the world on fire too, I think people are tired of origin story ( sure we haven't seen Ben's death but it's still an origin story ), Iron Man hurt the movie as well for me, the fact that he is behind Spidey costume or
Karen or Spidey growth
isn't a great idea, as good as Spidey and Vulture are in this movie, the rest of the cast is terrible, miscast, out of characters, acted badly etc...

I hope it'll do great at the end cause I want to see more of it and I'm sure it will but they need to step up their games for the sequel.

I guess I see how it could be considered an origin story, but it's certainly not a clearcut one. He had been Spider-Man before the movie started and we never see him become Spider-Man or learn to use his powers, etc... It seems more like a "early days" story than an origin story to me.

Wonder Woman, which has done surprisingly well, however, is an origin story and that didn't seem to be an issue.

I think that people don't want to see origin stories for the same characters over and over. We all know why Bruce became Batman, know about Superman's origin, and Spider-Man's. Redoing those ad nauseum is a mistake. For characters that have not had origins on the big screen it doesn't seem like people are really sick of them. Deadpool and Wonder Woman, for example, both did quite well.

That's one hell of a drop for Spider-Man. Wonder why. People tired of the Spidey as a kid regardless if the movie is good?

Too many reboots in short amount of time I'm sure really hurt the legs on this Spiderman. It's just anecdotal, but I know alot of people personally who just didn't see it yet cause they are like "another reboot already? ugh". Even if it's great, I think SONY kinda hurt the franchise by not giving Spidey some room to breath before trying again.

Cheebo

Banned
Do we need a 4th?

Like I'm content with this being a trilogy and that being the final movie.

As stated earlier, this third film ties directly into the original Planet of the Apes. It contradicts nothing and sets it up perfectly. There is your 4th film right there.

Miles X

Do we need a 4th?

Like I'm content with this being a trilogy and that being the final movie.

War is the final movie in the trilogy, as they've said though it's the groundwork for the franchise going into the future where they can get more towards the 1968 original

Penguin

As stated earlier, this third film ties directly into the original Planet of the Apes. It contradicts nothing and sets it up perfectly. There is your 4th film right there.

Then we're set!

We completed the circle.

We have a great modern trilogy and now we can loop back to the originals

Face of someone who knows they made the right decision!

DE8HKmYVYAAp4GT.jpg:large

Kusagari

Considering the name of a certain character, wouldn't it be set way sooner after Caesar than the first movie?

Considering the name of a certain character, wouldn't it be set way sooner after Caesar than the first movie?

These three Apes films haven't ever been intended to be literal prequels to the original story, but a reboot that is telling the stories of how a Planet of the Apes could come about. They're not literally building up to the original film. If they ever do get to a point where they'll remake the original following on from these, it'll be a new take on the story.

Kusagari

These three Apes films haven't ever been intended to be literal prequels to the original story, but a reboot that is telling the stories of how a Planet of the Apes could come about. They're not literally building up to the original film. If they ever do get to a point where they'll remake the original following on from these, it'll be a new take on the story.

I know that. I'm just saying the dynamics and conflict would be entirely different because ape civilization won't have progressed as far as in the original movie.

Penguin

I know that. I'm just saying the dynamics and conflict would be entirely different because ape civilization won't have progressed as far as in the original movie.

Could be one of those like royalty things where they alternate the names of Kings/princes

They should have done one more ASM movie. The first 2 weren't as bad as people made them out to be. Ending superhero movies on a duology just isn't right and probably left a bad inconclusive taste in peoples mouth. I mean even Thor got his own trilogy. Sony messed up.

nah. it's a good thing they rebooted it when they did and Spidey is in the MCU and will be in infinity wars.

I genuinely like Thor 2 and don't understand the hate it gets.

Seriously.
Thor 2 is basically middle-of-the-road MCU at this point. Maybe a bit on the low end now with Homecoming out. There's far worse MCU stuff.

Thor 1 is one of the best non-Cap movies.

Pachimari

I don't get the "too many reboots in such a short amount of time." I feel like I've been waiting 10 years between each reboot.

Heck, reboot it again, and I'll be there day one.

Busty

Banned
Thor 2 is basically middle-of-the-road MCU at this point. Maybe a bit on the low end now with Homecoming out. There's far worse MCU stuff.

I think First Avenger might the most overrated of all the MCU films. It's one good act and the rest is montage ridden nonsense and flat story beats.

What's worse than Thor 2? The only one I like less in Incredible Hulk, and at least it had a coherent through line.

Not meant to be combative, I'm curious which ones since I legitimately didn't like Thor 2 and have ranged from liked to loved almost everything else.

Top Bottom