• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You've had a great record so far this year, but I cannot imagine Valerian doing that lol.

Me either.
mjcry1.png

Valerian
$14m OW
$31m DOM
$125m WW

It's weird that Homecoming has a 50-50 divide whereas every 'real' MCU movie is 34-66. I wonder if the domestic is somewhat arbitrarily propped up by fans, or whether the 'MCU bump' is not actually a factor as much as good reviews are.

Kusagari

Valerian will probably do a 300m OW domestically.

Star Wars is finished after people see a real sci-fi epic. Might as well revise your Last Jedi predictions now.

I don't remember what it ended up with but I'm expecting Valerian to get similar numbers to King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

Getting massively similar vibes from those two.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
-2011 on neogaf
I think Marvel fatigue will set in after Avengers 4. The scale can't get any bigger than that and they'll have played all their cards to draw additional interest: Spidey in MCU, first black hero, first female hero, etc.

I think Marvel fatigue will set in after Avengers 4. The scale can't get any bigger than that and they'll have played all their cards to draw additional interest: Spidey in MCU, first black hero, first female hero, etc.

They still have interesting cards to play post Avengers 4 (a Thunderbolts movie being the one off the top of my head), but just finishing off the already started sets of character movies as trilogies gets them through "another phase" (Black Panther 2, GOTG 3, Homecoming 2, Ant Man 3, Cap Marvel 2). And there's still new heroes they could add, or even a one-off of one of the current Avengers (Black Widow, Hawkeye, IM4). And there's still storylines like Secret Wars (original) or Dark Reign (especially if they continue their deal with Sony to give them access to Osborn) to use for Avengers/large scale team-up movies. We may not see another GOTG or Avengers 1 level breakout success for a while, but the truth is that Marvel's floor is probably around $500-650 million for a decent but not great non-team up movie, and as long as they can keep making their movies for $125-$175 million production budget, they can make these movies for as long as they want and still profit off them.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Marvel needs to do straight hero teamup movies. Not like Hulk in Thor Ragnarok or Iron Man in Homecoming, I mean like "both heroes get name billing" team-ups.

Fuck it! Give us Ant-Man/Doctor Strange or Spider-Man/Black Panther.

Marvel needs to do straight hero teamup movies. Not like Hulk in Thor Ragnarok or Iron Man in Homecoming, I mean like "both heroes get name billing" team-ups.

We already know Spider-Man has another co-starring partner in Homecoming 2. We just don't know who it'll be yet. And this is something else I see coming more often post Avengers 4.

Edit: And this the only place where I feel it hurts keeping the Netflix characters so separate from the movie ones. A Spider-Man/Daredevil team up isn't something we're going to see happen, more than likely, no matter how much sense it would make for them to come together to battle Kingpin.

Prompto

Banned

Ant-Man and The Wasp?

Cheebo

Banned
Dawn was like 225 mil right
Maybe War was cheaper somehow?
Dawn was 170, War was 150.

Which makes sense. War had less action and less actors it seemed.

I am trying to figure out what they do next.

I mean War veeeeeeery obviously set up the original 1968 Planet of the Apes. So much of that film set up the original. I mean you could go straight into that and everything would make sense. So either these 3 are a prequel trilogy to the original or they are going to remake the original next.

Schlorgan

Dawn was 170, War was 150.

Which makes sense. War had less action and less actors it seemed.

I am trying to figure out what they do next.

I mean War veeeeeeery obviously set up the original 1968 Planet of the Apes. So much of that film set up the original. I mean you could go straight into that and everything would make sense. So either these 3 are a prequel trilogy to the original or they are going to remake the original next.
I think they're just letting it lead to the original.

Which is good since they probably wouldn't make another one anyway seeing how War is doing.

duckroll

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
War for the Planet of the Apes
Remaster of the Planet of the Apes

4 Film BD set.

Wonder Woman's run hasn't happened in 30 years. Spider-man would have had to open to $150M to have a decent shot at topping Wonder Woman domestically.

I noticed you said 30 years instead of the 15 i think you were talking before (referring to Spider Man 1's run?), has the run become even more extraordinary? What made the 15 turn into 30? :p

Ithil

Box office tallies dont show it but Marvel movie fatigue is real. The next avengers, black panther and thor 3.. All gonna fizzle at the BO. That universe is getting stale.

"Ok, there's no evidence or apparent effect but this thing is totally real, any moment now".

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
War for the Planet of the Apes
Remaster of the Planet of the Apes

4 Film BD set.

fantastic bluray idea.

so far my ranking is:

Dawn
original Planet of the Apes
Rise

will see War in a couple days, pretty excited for that. I don't recall any of the old planet of the apes sequels but there were probably a few good ones in there. The first with charlton heston was a great sci fi.

the tim burton movie sucked but the evil ape in there was pretty terrifying. Tim Roth and the makeup department killed it.

fantastic bluray idea.

so far my ranking is:

Dawn
original Planet of the Apes
Rise

will see War in a couple days, pretty excited for that. I don't recall any of the old planet of the apes sequels but there were probably a few good ones in there. The first with charlton heston was a great sci fi.

the tim burton movie sucked but the evil ape in there was pretty terrifying. Tim Roth and the makeup department killed it.
I was surprised at reading a couple of posts that said 'War was bad', hm.

Angel_DvA

Spiderman was ok, not bad but not putting the world on fire too, I think people are tired of origin story ( sure we haven't seen Ben's death but it's still an origin story ), Iron Man hurt the movie as well for me, the fact that he is behind Spidey costume or
Karen or Spidey growth
isn't a great idea, as good as Spidey and Vulture are in this movie, the rest of the cast is terrible, miscast, out of characters, acted badly etc...

I hope it'll do great at the end cause I want to see more of it and I'm sure it will but they need to step up their games for the sequel.

With the budget it has, there's no way Valerian will end up making a profit but I hope it will do all right in Europe and Asia. But if Tintin couldn't clear 400, Valerian doesn't have much of a chance.

Top Bottom