• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Busty

Banned
Wonder Woman is hitting $400M. No one saw that coming.

Ahem.

The time? 27th of May.

The place? GAF.

busty said:
...., with a final North American gross that is in the same neighbourhood as the first two Hunger Game films with $375-400m even with the increased competition of the summer.

These are both long shots, I know this, but they aren't impossible. I think that WW is going to bring in the female audience like no other superhero film has before, after Warners made Tarzan a 'hit' last summer by bringing in the female audience in a big way I think they'll do the same here.

Expect to see this film have great legs as the studio pushes for more 'mother + daughter night out' (or similar promotions) style screenings as a way to bring out more women. I think that this film can attract the traditional comic book audience as well a demographic that wouldn't usually touch a film like this in the cinema.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=238244733&highlight=#post238244733

Nev

Banned
Btw what a ridiculous attempt to downplay Spiderman's drop with a bitter/jelly out of nowhere jab at WW the thread title is.

The salt is real.

Vampfox

Banned
giphy.gif

Yeah, I can see it. Peter just relentlessly beating Harry down verbally was a trip.
I love Peter's, "Look at little Goblin Jr. Gonna cry?" line to Harry.

I wonder about transformers. Foreign gross is important but don't studios take a smaller percent of the cut from those screenings? In the end I wonder if it even made money or if the studio will come out in the whole on it.

I see sub 200M DOM for all those films. Disney will sell Marvel to Wanda.

Don't underestimate black audiences. We made get out into a thing.

3N16MA

Banned
Box office tallies dont show it but Marvel movie fatigue is real. The next avengers, black panther and thor 3.. All gonna fizzle at the BO. That universe is getting stale.

I see sub 200M DOM for all those films. Disney will sell Marvel to Wanda.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
People like to shit on 3 but it wasn't bad aside from the stupid dance number and the incredibly stupid idea to have emo peter do the hustle
The dance scenes and the incredibly bitchy Harry and Peter moments are the best parts of the movie. Emo Peter is awesome. It's pretty clear no one was that interested in making the movie the studio demanded, so the scenes just making fun of the whole thing are where it becomes good.
Peter wasn't emo.
The dance number was fucking funny
He did have a typical emo haircut and outfit.

ReiGun

He had floppy hair. I'll give people that.

Literally nothing else about his behavior or style or dress or manner was "emo" at all.

He was a douchebag.

Can't recall where I saw it (could very well have been here on Gaf), but I've seen Evil Peter described as "what someone who has no idea how to be cool looks like trying to be cool." Which hits it perfectly. He's an insecure dork trying so very hard to emulate the behavoir of those he feels have been holding him down or getting things he thinks he deserves.

And it's hilarious. The dancing in the street scene is easily the funniest comedy bit in a superhero movie I've seen. The hip gyrating. The music. The way every woman he comes across looks at him with a mixture of confusion and disgust. His fucking haircut. It's perfect.

Schlorgan

Spider-Man 3 is the best superhero movie about the effects of drug addiction.

After having my own experiences with drug addiction while also being a nerd, I appreciate Spider-Man 3 way more now than when I first saw it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Last chance to post your Dunkirk and Valerian predictions.

Edit: Girls Trip as well.

Valerian will be lucky to get $20 million OW
Dunklirk I could maybe see hitting $40 million, but that's solely based on the Nolan name. I don't think the movie has done a great job of selling itself as a big-slot blockbuster.
Girls Trip - $15 million

bengraven

Thank god the super hero genre is dead. Hope Infinity War can make their money back for Disney so they can go back to making serious bank on 2D films like in my childhood that was better than yours.

Busty

Banned
Last chance to post your Dunkirk and Valerian predictions.

Dunkirk $49m OW. -- A lot of premium formats and older audiences who have been left out on the sidelines for most of the summer turn up for this. An opening weekend a little better than Interstellar's. Again great legs bouyed by rave reviews on it's way to a $190/200m final gross that betters Interstellar.

Girls Trip - $21m OW -- Prepare for a load of think pieces about this hammering Valerian into the ground and reports of comedy's death being greatly exaggerated.

Valerian $11m OW -- The advertising has been practically non-existent and even the stars haven't exactly been out beating the drum for this. I think STX, as distributor for hire, knew it had a hard sell on it's hands and did the bare minimum. I think this has $25m final US gross and cult classic written all over it.

What if Girls Trip totally broke out and beat Dunkirk, which still does very well, to the top slot. Ooooooooh.

Spidey nooooo 😭

I'm afraid he can't hear you now, son.

Anth0ny

He had floppy hair. I'll give people that.

Literally nothing else about his behavior or style or dress or manner was "emo" at all.

He was a douchebag.

People remember him looking in the cracked mirror in the alley and making his hair all EMO

That makes him entirely 100% emo

10 years later I love that scene. Coming off Spidey 2... not so much.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Peter in 3 was an edgy emo. It was a funny scene because he was acting like he was so cool, and the hottest shit ever, even though we as audience know he's just a nerd who got bit by a spider.

J_Viper

Apes was excellent but I can get why the general audience didn't go for it.

It's a pretty slow paced movie and can get quite depressing at times. I didn't think there would be monkeys on fucking
crucifixes

I wonder if WB is getting second thoughts about him...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I watched the Raimi trilogy for the first time this past week. Spider-Man 3 was indeed a trainwreck.
I didn't especially love the first two either.

Spider-Man 3 is the best superhero movie about the effects of drug addiction.

After having my own experiences with drug addiction while also being a nerd, I appreciate Spider-Man 3 way more now than when I first saw it.
SM3 is way better than I remember it being. It must be the MCU or DCEU (outside WW)... Take Sandman out completely and it's a really good cape flick.

Top Bottom