• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Toa TAK

Banned
Worldwide Updates:

Wonder Woman - $765M
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $751M
Despicable Me 3 - $619M
Transformers 5 - $517M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $103M
The Mummy - $390M
Why does The Mummy keep making money

This is why the Apes outlasted man

Falchion

I hope Spiderman has the same box office legs that Wonder Woman does because it's refreshingly fun and I don't want to give Sony any reason to reconsider giving it to Marvel.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I hope Spiderman has the same box office legs that Wonder Woman does because it's refreshingly fun and I don't want to give Sony any reason to reconsider giving it to Marvel.
Don't worry, it will do just fine. It won't have near the legs WW has though. That ship has sailed.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
gvhiQ8o.png

So is Disney finally going to stop trying to make Cars work?

Wonder Woman is the kinda movie that only comes around and takes everyone by surprise once every few years. It's this year's Deadpool on steroids.

Spidey is doing fine though, the overall weekend drop is going to be 1-2% off from the usual 50-60%.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
10 billion in Merchandising money.

The Caesar trilogy is done. If they continue on, it will be most likely with a new team and not Reeves.

Yeah, Reeves is on Batman now. I do wonder if they (Apes 4) will try to keep it consistent with the new trilogy.

gvhiQ8o.png

So is Disney finally going to stop trying to make Cars work?

Cars is John Lasseter's pet project that happens to sell billions upon billions of dollars worth of merchandise.

So no.

Wasn't someone mentioning how they weren't going to make a fourth Apes film?

I think I mentioned it sarcastically when someone commented that it was a shame that the Apes trilogy is finished now. Because as far as I know there has been no news at all about the continuation of the series and calling it a finished trilogy is misnomer. And Reeves wasn't even involved in the first movie, so it's not like there was a 3-movie plan from the beginning.

If they do make a 4th movie though, they should probably change up the naming scheme. RotPotA, DotPotA, and WftPotA acronyms are too damn long.

This Apes trilogy was a HUGE success so far with all 3 films achieving critical acclaim while the first 2 ones achieving box office success. Rise made $481 million worldwide followed by Dawn with $710 million. I expect War to get to $600 million worldwide. I do hope they don't get greedy and start making more movies in the series essentially milking it to death.

It's so strange seeing the theater count for movies nowadays. I remember when Jurassic Park had a huge rollout... of like 2200 theaters. Now over 4000 is common for the big releases. Bonkers.

mreddie

This Apes trilogy was a HUGE success so far with all 3 films achieving critical acclaim while the first 2 ones achieving box office success. Rise made $481 million worldwide followed by Dawn with $710 million. I expect War to get to $600 million worldwide. I do hope they don't get greedy and start making more movies in the series essentially milking it to death.

A new Planet is rumored to be next.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I honestly am not sure if I want another Apes trilogy. I wasn't satisfied with War, even if it was a good send off. It is a great legacy trilogy to an orginal masterpiece of cinema.

He is so cool and its action films are great
I saw The Mummy just for him and I liked the film, hope that Dark Universe will continue
Ehh....

To me, they completely butchered the Dark Universe with how they integrated it into The Mummy. Terrible is an understatement.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't think I want another Apes film after War. War closed up the story so well and we've gotten a great trilogy out of it this reboot.

I feel like any more would be scraping the barrel so-to-speak.

And yeah, if they DO make another, I would prefer to see a remake of the original that follows this trilogy.

Black Panther is the first big budget film tailored to a community that loves action films and a country that loves consuming black culture. It'll do some numbers.

Also, it's MCU. It's got the floor to start from. And people generally had a strong positive reaction to Panter in Civil War (IMHO, best part of the movie).

It's going to do great.

Even still.

That's a big drop. I think this is the last Cars movie.

Maybe it is, or not. I doubt Disney or Pixar are going to get in the way of John Lasseter doing whatever the hell he wants though. That guy makes it rain money and awards. I'm pretty sure his official job description is just "everyone shut up and listen to John Lasseter when he's talking."

Also, it's MCU. It's got the floor to start from. And people generally had a strong positive reaction to Panter in Civil War (IMHO, best part of the movie).

It's going to do great.
People bring up MCU like it is a positive for Black Panther but then again some people bring up MCU as the negative for SMH. Which is which?

I do think MCU has like a ceiling and while it will give it a boost and appeal for opening high, it won't just magically propel it to record breaking heights like Wonder Woman.

I also think that the movie being a little too serious means it won't have the same appeal as something like Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool.

Merchandise sales in the US as of Jan 2016:

Cars: $10b
Minions: $267m

I'm just saying let's wait a bit until we worry about Cars toy sales.

Vectorman

Banned
Having rewatched the original Apes film a couple days, it's really stunning at how relevant the themes are still. I really think if they could convince Reeves to come back for a proper Apes reboot, it think it could be just as good and with a cord in the audience.

People bring up MCU like it is a positive for Black Panther but then again some people bring up MCU as the negative for SMH. Which is which?

I do think MCU has like a ceiling and while it will give it a boost and appeal for opening high, it won't just magically propel it to record breaking heights like Wonder Woman.

I also think that the movie being a little too serious means it won't have the same appeal as something like Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool.

I'm not one of the people saying MCU is a box office negative for SMH.

Top Bottom