• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at "The House."

Also, I wonder if Disney is somewhat surprised by Cars 3 only taking in $140 million.

my son has at least 15 toys that are cars related. It makes more money than any other movie in the top 10 right now. Kids love these. They are favorites in DVD, Bluray and netflix market as well.

RE: SMH: I love* how the movie so much of the forum was loving last week somehow is now only so-so.

* not really.

I realize this is down to the dynamics of who feels most emboldened to speak up, and it's different people posting, but the effect is amazing. Spectacular even.

Anyway, SMH, I still love you! You're still a fantastic movie, even if just about everybody who wanted to see you did so right away!

kunonabi

LOL at "The House."

Also, I wonder if Disney is somewhat surprised by Cars 3 only taking in $140 million.

I dont think theyll really care if they can start selling oodles of merchandise to girls which was really the point of the movie.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Seriously. The thread title sucks especially badly this week. I'm annoyed with people trying to constantly find ways to diminish the WW success.
Wonder woman's success speaks for itself. No amount of passive aggressive remarks will finish it's legw domestic gross and worldwide gross.

Mrbob

I wonder if I'm starting to get too cynical with movies because like Spiderman I enjoyed, but didn't love, War for Planet of the Apes. I thought the second movie was paced much better and there is too much downtime in War. I thought the third act got way too bogged down and we never got a battle as cool as the end of Dawn of Planet of the Apes.

Bronx-Man

Banned
RE: SMH: I love* how the movie so much of the forum was loving last week somehow is now only so-so.

* not really.

I realize this is down to the dynamics of who feels most emboldened to speak up, and it's different people posting, but the effect is amazing. Spectacular even.

Anyway, SMH, I still love you! You're still a fantastic movie, even if just about everybody who wanted to see you did so right away!

It's just DC nerds and the regular 'superheroes movies are garbage' members coming out of the woodwork now that everyone's seen it and enjoyed it, just like with Guardians 2. It'll happen again when Thor: Ragnarok gets a 92% on RottenTomatoes and people fill up that thread with "No steaks, too many quips, looks like a tv show"

It's just DC nerds and the regular 'superheroes movies are garbage' members coming out of the woodwork now that everyone's seen it and enjoyed it, just like with Guardians 2. It'll happen again when Thor: Ragnarok gets a 92% on RottenTomatoes and people fill up that thread with "No steaks, too many quips, looks like a tv show"

2 weeks later when Justice League comes out and has a better opening weekend, that'll be some entertainment.

Mrbob

Thor 3 gonna get the Green Lantern bump like Deadpool.

Vampfox

Banned
They should have done one more ASM movie. The first 2 weren't as bad as people made them out to be. Ending superhero movies on a duology just isn't right and probably left a bad inconclusive taste in peoples mouth. I mean even Thor got his own trilogy. Sony messed up.

No!
Sony did the right thing cancelling the ASM series.

If you read any of the information during the time that Sony was hacked you would see that after ASM 2 Sony was basically running around like a chicken with it's head cut off over what to do with the ASM series.

As I said in the other thread:

A good film after three bad ones is going to have an uphill climb. Simple as that.

It is underperforming expectations at the same time that Wonder Woman is vastly overperforming expectations, so there will be some comparison. Nothing wrong with that.

As an addendum, this is what we do: compare movies under/over performing expectations, estimates, and their contemporaries. Whether it's BvS or Spider-Man seeing the drops, we're going to talk about it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

That's not true at all, DCEU fans around here basically don't leave their dedicated thread. They've become the OT equivalent of Xbox fans on Gaming side.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
As I said in the other thread:

A good film after three bad ones is going to have an uphill climb. Simple as that.

It is underperforming expectations at the same time that Wonder Woman is vastly overperforming expectations, so there will be some comparison. Nothing wrong with that.

As an addendum, this is what we do: compare movies under/over performing expectations, estimates, and their contemporaries. Whether it's BvS or Spider-Man seeing the drops, we're going to talk about it.
Eh this is some hyperbole Amazing Spider-Man 1 was not badly received. It didn't set the world on fire but neither critical or audience reception was poor.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Eh this is some hyperbole Amazing Spider-Man 1 was not badly received. It didn't set the world on fire but neither critical or audience reception was poor.

Not to mention this movie opened up to $117m. That's not really what I call paying for the sins of previous movies.

Batman Begins had a 5 day opening of $73m after Batman '89, Batman Returns and Batman Forever all set the opening record weekend at their time. That's a movie that paid for sins past.

Bronx Man..... Get some perspective.

Really gonna throw around such absurd generalizations just because not everybody is as enamored with the new Spider-Man movie as you are? Hell no.

It was ok. Don't gotta be a dc fanboy or shit on all comic book movies to think that.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Bronx Man..... Get some perspective.

Really gonna throw around such absurd generalizations just because not everybody is as enamored with the new Spider-Man movie as you are? Hell no.

It was ok. Don't gotta be a dc fanboy or shit on all comic book movies to think that.

counter-point:

it was good

I mean, I liked Amazing fine enough, but it's clear that Spider-Man 3 > Amazing > Amazing 2 all form a clear downward trend in Spider-Man box office revenues. Even looking at the meta, we were down for SM3, up for Amazing, and back down for Amazing 2, but never touching the first or Spider-Man 2. Critically, Homecoming is sitting roughly around where the first did.

It's a course correction.

That's not true at all, DCEU fans around here basically don't leave their dedicated thread. They've become the OT equivalent of Xbox fans on Gaming side.

Come on now. We don't need to promote this sort of infighting on the boards. Many of those posters are active in other film-related threads.

Disco is something else though. Disco got weird opinions on stuff. =P

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Come on now. We don't need to promote this sort of infighting on the boards. Many of those posters are active in other film-related threads.

giphy.gif

MrMephistoX

I mean, I liked Amazing fine enough, but it's clear that Spider-Man 3 > Amazing > Amazing 2 all form a clear downward trend in Spider-Man box office revenues. Even looking at the meta, we were down for SM3, up for Amazing, and back down for Amazing 2, but never touching the first or Spider-Man 2. Critically, Homecoming is sitting roughly around where the first did.

People like to shit on 3 but it wasn't bad aside from the stupid dance number and the incredibly stupid idea to have emo peter do the hustle, and the fact that Eddie basically should have been in 3 to build the hatred and tension and featured in 4. It's a flawed but entertaining movie with Raimi style.

Toa TAK

Banned
Christopher Young's score in 3 was great, too. The whole Harry vs Peter fight in the beginning was awesome, and easily the best action sequence in the film.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yeah but up for AM1 means we weren't in a streak of 3 bad films far from it which goes against your point.

Legs also matter a lot I think the fact were not on a streak of 3 bad films means Homecoming won't necessarily have amazing legs to make up the up the initial sales.

Spider-Man 3's biggest problem IMO is that first act was messy as hell, trying to tie off the cliffhanger from SM2 as well as set up the half dozen new plot threads for SM3. Film manages to balance itself a little better eventually, but it's got a really rough start.

It's still better than either amazing Spider-Man movie. It suffers from attempting too much in the plot but the few moments when the heart of the first two shows in there was great

And man the humor is still as enjoyable as ever. That trilogy is still the funniest set of superhero movies imo.

Yeah but up for AM1 means we weren't in a streak of 3 bad films far from it which goes against your point.

Legs also matter a lot I think the fact were not on a streak of 3 bad films means Homecoming won't necessarily have amazing legs to make up the up the initial sales.

Again, liked Amazing fine. BO numbers went down for all three films consistently.

If I append "bad" with "declining performance" can we end the semantic argument?

People like to shit on 3 but it wasn't bad aside from the stupid dance number and the incredibly stupid idea to have emo peter do the hustle, and the fact that Eddie basically should have been in 3 to build the hatred and tension and featured in 4. It's a flawed but entertaining movie with Raimi style.

I liked the dancing scene. The film's problem was Raimi trying to juggle too much within a single film. Rough first act and the wrap-up feels rushed.

Peter was sterotypically emo. The style the haircut the attitude. He literally could not be more if he tried. I went to school with that dude man. It was all there.

That dude wasn't emo. He was a douchebag, yes. But there is nothing stereotypically emo about Peter Parker in Spider-Man 3.

He's more like an Entourage castmember.

Nev

Banned
I watched SM3 many years after release. Being familiar with the intense hate I was genuinely baffled when I found out it was actually an awesome movie.

The haters deserved ASM.

Nategc20

Banned
Box office tallies dont show it but Marvel movie fatigue is real. The next avengers, black panther and thor 3.. All gonna fizzle at the BO. That universe is getting stale.

Top Bottom