• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

mreddie

Hawkguy and Higgins Nightwing

Also, Waid tells a story that he helped push a book with a black writer and all black cast, retailers basically said LOLNO.

Basically, everyone is to blame but we're still wondering who'll actually give a shit and help change things.

get-out-trailer-screen2.jpg
Don't you laugh at my pain.
Sorry about that :(
I don't know if you're gonna get Zelda but if you do, the wait is well worth it.
It's bundled with it.

Barnaby Bagenda's art in GL/Planet of the Apes #1 was pretty good, i'll be surprised if he isn't on a mainline GL book soon after this. It'd be a step up from the usual mediocre dudes like EVS and Tan

Emma Frost in Iceman's body doing some foreshadowing by mentioning how "inconvenient" it would be if she "shattered into a million pieces".

Phalanx Covenant delivering.
Hawkguy and Higgins Nightwing

Also, Waid tells a story that he helped push a book with a black writer and all black cast, retailers basically said LOLNO.

Basically, everyone is to blame but we're still wondering who'll actually give a shit and help change things.
That had a terrible ending. They never tied up anything and then Dick dies in Forever Evil. Unless it was brought up in Grayson, none of that Chicago shit has mattered. At all.

jurgen

Barnaby Bagenda's art in GL/Planet of the Apes #1 was pretty good, i'll be surprised if he isn't on a mainline GL book soon after this. It'd be a step up from the usual mediocre dudes like EVS and Tan

He and King are apparently working on a new project. I wouldn't be surprised if Gerads is involved as well.

Best run/series endings, GO.

I love good endings to runs and/or series, but it feels like satisfying endings are few and far between. Starman by Robinson is by far the best series ending I've ever read. Green Lantern by Johns and Flash by Manapul/Buccellato had pretty good endings.

I want to hear from your guys so I can maybe get some suggestions on stuff I should read.

Scalped
Sweet Tooth
Unknown Soldier
Hellboy
BPRD
Locke & Key
Vision
Omega Men
Secret Warriors
Immortal Iron Fist
Hawkeye
Criminal is incredible and basically gets a wrap at the end of every volume.

come straight to mind. Lots more runs I consider to be awesome, especially in the superhero realm, but runs with actual incredible endings, hum. I definitely agree, even my favourite writers considered, actual incredible endings are few and far between. I mean Bendis/Bru Daredevil stuff effectively has no ending, they just pass the baton even though great. Bru's Cap, just kind of petered out eventually. The Winter Soldier end of the run went better but still a bit anticlimactic. Creator owned is much easier since they always have definitive endings.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Been a couple of months but I finally got around to making a big IST haul.
1Xp755U.png

qbfMefn.png

Super excited to see how Abe Sapien and BPRD ends.

Super excited to see how Abe Sapien and BPRD ends.

Dude haha. Cometh The Hour....holy shit haha. No disappointments is all I'll say! Interested to see what you think of Abe. I literally just bought/read a bunch of these haha. You're gonna have a good time with Deadly Class too, and that volume of Low was great.

Akira box set is now down to $120 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1632364611/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Batman Rebirth #1, #1 - #6: I don't know what to make of this. I liked the dumb action sequence at the beginning and would have liked that tone to continue through. But the trade just kept shifting between different tones and couldn't decide on one. The Gothams thing wasn't very interesting. What was it supposed to be? An A/B experiment of putting two kids in the same position as Bruce was and see how it turns out? I did like the relatively-fresh-to-me villains, for however short a time they were on screen. The hook for the future arc was tempting enough that I think I will give v2 a shot.

They pretty much have a monopoly, so I wouldn't expect anything to change.
The crazy thing to me is that they have a monopoly entirely because the industry allows them to. They make nothing. If the people producing the comics said "nah, we're gonna try something else" that'd basically be that, no?

The crazy thing to me is that they have a monopoly entirely because the industry allows them to. They make nothing. If the people producing the comics said "nah, we're gonna try something else" that'd basically be that, no?

No one else has the scale to replace or even supplement Diamond. The last serious attempt, when Marvel set up their own parallel system was by all accounts a complete clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Reading up on a few things I missed from WonderCon.

The next topic Phil brought up was that one thing you only get in comics is a massive restructure of continuity. It doesn’t happen in television. “Except when Bobby Ewing comes back from the dead.” joked Phil. A few people got that one.

Christina Strain talked about how odd it is for her when writing Generation X to realize that some of these plot ideas have been done not just once, not just twice, but THRICE and the editors expect her to just drop a single line of dialogue to gloss over it, while she’d rather address the core concept and figure out why they’re three-peating themselves. She does get frustrated when thrown for a loop, but mainly just needs to vent to someone else to get over it.

Yeah, I would much rather have new stories than repeating the same one multiple times.

I love good endings to runs and/or series, but it feels like satisfying endings are few and far between. Starman by Robinson is by far the best series ending I've ever read. Green Lantern by Johns and Flash by Manapul/Buccellato had pretty good endings.

I want to hear from your guys so I can maybe get some suggestions on stuff I should read.

Planetary
Harbinger (Dysart)
Ivar, Timewalker
Fear Agent
Preacher
XO Manowar (Venditti)
The Valiant
Watchmen
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior

I am actually looking at reading more completed stuff in the coming months. I may drop something in your inbox if it really stands out to me.

So I've read 4 rebirth trades. Three are drops. (Hal Jordan and GLC, Justice League, Action Comics). One series that I am 50-50 on but will still read the next trade. (Batman).

Still in queue for Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Superman and Green Lanterns.

The next topic Phil brought up was that one thing you only get in comics is a massive restructure of continuity. It doesn’t happen in television. “Except when Bobby Ewing comes back from the dead.” joked Phil. A few people got that one.

Someone needs to tell The Flash writers that.

tim1138

No one else has the scale to replace or even supplement Diamond. The last serious attempt, when Marvel set up their own parallel system was by all accounts a complete clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Hell, Marvel's attempts are what led to Diamond in the first place.

So I've read 4 rebirth trades. Three are drops. (Hal Jordan and GLC, Justice League, Action Comics). One series that I am 50-50 on but will still read the next trade. (Batman).

Still in queue for Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Superman and Green Lanterns.

Someone needs to tell The Flash writers that.

I was really down on Action in it's first arc because I thought it was really drawn out and pretty boring, but I'd say it got better pretty quickly.

GLC got better, but it took longer.

Everyone is too lazy, though. Diamond capitalizes on that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Decent week for comics. Also includes the only Walking Dead this week I care about:

Batman #20
Deathstroke #16
Green Arrow #20
Nightwing #18
Superman #20

James Bond Black Box #2
Walking Dead #166

All-New Wolverine #19
Avengers #6
Captain America Steve Rogers #15
Royals #1
Spider-Man #15
Star Wars #30
Uncanny Avengers #22

Reread Tokyo Ghost vol 1 last night. Still not Remender's best. For the time spent on Tokyo it just doesn't feel like it's explored enough and the character arcs a little too basic for the stakes or payoff at the end to feel earned or really like anything is in the balance. That said, it's a fun world visually, some of Murphy's larger spreads are gorgeous, and Remender's writing has its trademark bite. Tokyo Ghost vol 2 tonight.

I've had a huge turn around on Remender lately. His heavy use of inner monologuing really put me off previously and kept his books at good but not great for me, but as I've been rereading more and more of his stuff recently and gotten more attuned to his voice, I've started to really dig the positives of such a prose like style and forgive the cons. Maybe it's just what I'm in the mood for. He can still be a little too on the nose with what the theme or the character arc is meant to be but whatever. I'm enjoying him alot lately,and I love how big he'll go with his concepts and worlds. It never feels like he's holding back. Plus he works with some of The best artists. Anyone who thinks artists don't drive book sales are high because the sheer quality of these guys and the colourists etc are what kept me on these books long enough to come around on the writing.

Got Persona 5 in the post. Should be playing but instead I find myself watched NXT Takeover Orlando haha, what is happening. Great show so far though, I really appreciate the lack of flash and focus on the in ring action. They've basically cribbed all the things I enjoyed about RoH years ago. McGuinnes is even on commentary.

Nothing beats Morrison's New X-Men in this regard.

How is The Unstoppable Wasp? I read that Moon Girl was going to be somewhere in Volume 1 and that piqued my curiosity.

Art's really good. I only read the first issue but the writing was weak. Did not feel any desire to continue beyond then if that was going to be how it was written. Dialogue was trying very hard to be cutesy and it didn't work for me.

Hell, Marvel's attempts are what led to Diamond in the first place.

Its so weird to me.

That Marvel would just make a bad business decision that would ultimately hamper the industry to this day.

Theyre usually so good with those

Is there a good place to read up on these events? I tried once the Wikipedia article but it was quiete confusing.
Not sure if theres a good place exactly but as far as I remember it went like this

At the time, there were a handful of distributors servicing the various publishers.

Marvel decides they can do better if they distribute their own books, so they buy a distributor and tell the other distributors to take a hike.

Now all other distributors freak out because they essentially just lost ~40% of their business. Diamond convinces the other publishers to go with them exclusively.

Marvel runs into a world of problems. The distributor they bought wasnt equipped at all to handle the workload they were given since Marvel decided to change their distribution quickly rather than gradually.

The end result is that Marvel signs an exclusive distribution contract with Diamond like everybody else now. Now, if you know anything about monopolies, its that they get economically inefficient (which is to say the don't care about investing and expanding their business). So now, Diamond is super lazy. They don't reach out to places where comics used to be sold like gas stations and supermarkets and won't carry books that don't present easy profit for them.

At the heart of the comics industry, the problem is their distribution above any creative decisions from publishers

Whats crazy to me is that it seems Marvel hasn't used any of Disney's resources to put their comics wherever Disney is. Disney's reach goes far and wide and I haven't seen Marvel use that to its advantage to increase customer accesss

Top Bottom