• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry...me too, common movie lines that annoy you

'We're alike, you and I' or conversely 'We're not so different'

Fuck you, I didn't watch 2 hours of this shit for you to pontificate bull with the antagonist.

Came in to post this

"We're the same, you and I". Ridiculous how many films this comes up in.

You're not the same, you're a cunt and he's a hero. Knobhead.

Or just repeat the last few words of whatever the person just said, Dougie style.

It's just lazy filler when they have to put a quick line in a character's mouth.

This is a cultural Japanese language pattern thing. They repeat what the other person said to demonstrate they've been listening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aizuchi

Aizuchi can also take the form of so-called echo questions, which consist of a noun plus "desu ka". After Speaker A asks a question, Speaker B may repeat a key noun followed by "desu ka" to confirm what Speaker A was talking about or simply to keep communication open while Speaker B thinks of an answer. A rough English analog would be "A ..., you say?", as in: "So I bought this new car"; reply: "A car, you say?".

"This isn't you."

fuck that

also "I think you better come here and see this thing that we're going to cut straight to."
okay, its makes dramatic sense but its silly

"I know a guy." Then cut to the guy. ALso makes more dramatic sense but again, its silly.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
"Let me tell you a story that seems wholly unrelated to the events we're discussing but will prove ever so tangentially related in the end so that I can provide you a simple takeaway message"

Shredderi

I don't like how many films do the "we're the same" thing but I don't it is in itself that bad of a thing. It kind of signifies how even the baddies want to relate to someone and want someone to understand them. Many times it's the hero who best understands the villain, even better than the villain's own allies. It's a bit corny to outright say it though. Best cases portray that through action and body language etc. instead of uttering out a corny line.

Ralemont

not me
"Stop running away!" "You're just running away!" in response to various psychological traumas/issues none of which should be solved by this stupid line.

My friends and I used to joke we could easily write a show for CBS with lowest common denominator tropes. I think most of GAF could TBH.

UrbanRats

I don't like how many films do the "we're the same" thing but I don't it is in itself that bad of a thing. It kind of signifies how even the baddies want to relate to someone and want someone to understand them. Many times it's the hero who best understands the villain, even better than the villain's own allies. It's a bit corny to outright say it though. Best cases portray that through action and body language etc. instead of uttering out a corny line.
I agree, plus in videogames especially the meta commentary of the means to an end of baddy and protagonist are legit similar, often times.

Namely, slaughtering hundreds.

Mr_Zombie

"You have to trust me" followed by formerly sceptical people doing crazy shit.

- What happened?
- It's better if I showed you.

No, fuck you, just tell them and THEN show them.

"It's complicated."

No it's fucking not. It's lazy writing is what it is.

"You wouldn't believe it if I told you"
"Try me"

That's basically most of the dialogues between Leon and Helena in the first chapter of RE6 :D

? This is actually used in real life -- especially in dating / marriage relationships. Why does it annoy you?

I could be wrong, but I interpret OP's "I'm sorry...me too" as being in a negative light. Like person 1 has done something REALLY BAD and ruined everything and person 2 is angry with them, person 1 says "I'm sorry," person 2 looks at them really disapprovingly, stands up, pauses, looks at them and says "me too" just before walking away.

Also, anime is absolutely filled with too many instances of "It can't be helped."

That's the easiest translation of a really common Japanese phrase. More creative localization would come up with other ways to say this ("Well, there's not much we can do about it now...").

Just saw the first replies but how "You don't get it, do you?" wasn't mentioned. I don't think there's one single movie or TV show without that line in the entire world lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"I don't have time to explain"
Often used when if they did explain the other person has useful info that would help quickly solve the issue. Also used when if they did explain the other person would *record scratch* and veto the crazy plan and suggest going to the cops or someone instead.

Not so much a common line, but more like a hand to hand combat trope that's always bugged me in TV and movies.

Good Guy vs Bad Guy, the fight almost always goes like:

1. Fight starts evenly between GG and BG
  2. GG appears to be getting the upper hand
  3. BG gets in a solid but non-lethal blow to GG and we're meant to think this could suddenly go badly (cut to the arm, a few good punches in, etc). This is usually accompanied with some sort of monologuing on the part of BG.
  4. GG musters willpower (with a speech?), beats up BG and saves the day
TV shows fall back on this so often it's like a standard cut and paste into any script, and almost any time I watch something I'm completely disengaged by the fight scenes. I recently started watching Black Sails and this is pretty much every single sword fight or duel involving main characters. There are some exceptions to the rule; Daredevil comes to mind, where the main character really DOES get fucked up in fights.

In big blockbuster movies this can pretty much be applied to the entire latter third of a movie.

That's why I liked Winter Soldier. Cap vs WS in the Hellicarrier. Cap handles him pretty easily gets his back and chokes him out.

"We're looking at a level2 RSS feed worm meltdown within a plate tectonic phenomenon!"

"Let's pretend I'm a kid/not a scientist/etc and explain this to me in plain English..."

(Dramatic pause. Scientist looks around worried)

"The end of life..as we know it."

KoopaTheCasual

Some variation of "I could kill you now, but I want to make you suffer".

Honestly, none of the examples in this thread (outside the anime/manga one about saying a character's name) bothers me at all. But THIS? Fuck this trope.

It's so annoying and unrealistic. That's why Watchmen was so refreshing with how the antagonist approached his goal.

Wiped89

"What are we going to do?"
"Save the world"

Maybe I've just heard it too many times now, but I'm kind of sick of every little scuffle contained entirely within New York, USA, being about saving the entire world.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Conversely, characters who SEE crazy unexplainable stuff for themselves and then espouse some unreasonably skeptical viewpoints during high tension moments.
I know the types of scenes you mean, but to be far, when you see some crazy explainable things, it is infinitely more likely that you're just hallucinating, than that whatever you saw really exists. Being sceptical there is a fair game.

HereticJ

"We've got company!" Whenever bad guys show up.

It's not the worst line or unrealistic but I must have heard it several dozens of times by now in films.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anime characters that just say character's name in one line... Is it common in Japan?
Ghost Slayer...
Ghost Slayer-san....
Goddammit.

"It's complicated."

No it's fucking not. It's lazy writing is what it is.
' Don't you see? '

"He/she didn't make it."

There is a youtube video of like 10 minutes of movies with just that line.
I honestly fail to see what's so wrong with those. "It's complicated" can be used correctly for brevity, for example if the viewer knows the full story but the receiving character doesn't (and it can be implied to be explained to them later).
"Don't you see?" followed by an impatient explanation is reasonable enough. So, no, I don't see the problem with this one. ;)
And "s/he didn't make it", well... sure it's cliché but how else would you write a line explaining as gently as possible that someone, well, didn't make it? Just saying "s/he died/fell/got eaten by the monster"?

"There is nothing we can do."
"There's still something I must do."

"I knew you would return, brother."

"You and I, we are not that different."

"One day, perhaps, you will understand."

"I have lived too long to not know this day would come."

"The pride of men slaughtering each other in the name of their so-called God."

"We will atone for our sins in time."

"My kind are no more evil than yours."

"I have always known."

"Men were never meant to live this life."

"There shall come a day when all our burdens will end, brother. Maybe then, we shall know true peace."

These are all quotes from the ending of The Order: 1886.
Ok, the spoiler made this post. That's just really funny.

karasu

"This won't bring her/him/them back!." Like, no shit. My quest for vengeance isn't meant to literally bring my loved ones back to life.

Every horror movie.

Hello, is there anyone there?

a5698aa69848adc88e0e76ebe7e9b1e6--robert-englund-freddy-s.jpg

Top Bottom