• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry...me too, common movie lines that annoy you

"How long will it take you to [complicated thing with deadly stakes]?"

"We can do it in five days."

"You've got three."

MOTHERFUCKER I SAID WE CAN DO IT IN FIVE

"That's going to leave a mark!"

When someone stumbles and falls, or crashes on something, then falls. Then either they A) Have a 5-10 second delay before they react, "Ow!" or B) Yell out, "I'm OK!".

Stop it Hollywood! You stop that right now!

kikiribu

"I'm getting too old for this shit"
"I can explain"
"It's not what it looks like"
"(overly long introduction to a new place that inevitably leads annoying know-it-all character saying "welcome to [insert place here] in an annoying know-it-all tone)
"No bank records, nothing. This man is a ghost"

Honestly movies are shit these days. Every time I hear corny shit like this I cringe at the thought that most people fall for it every single time.

Unnatural exposition. I don't have a particular line that comes to mind. But nothing annoys me more then two characters who explain their situation or motivation to each other for the benefit of the viewer. It's lazy, and uninspired.

Agreed. While this wasn't the only thing that made me hate Pacific Rim, it was a big part of it.

Isotropy

"Like my granny said in her tar-paper shack on Montego Bay, if you want a boxed hurled into the sun, you got to do it yourself. God rest her zombie bones.'

fushi

*Character 1 says something using fancy words and terminology*

Character 2: "English, please!"
By far my moat hated trope. Especially if the technical talk is actually fairly easily understood and the person saying "In English, please!" is supposed to be a highly intelligent field officer.

Chao

The wilhelm scream ruins scenes for me. I'd rather it be the sound editor just yelling through a tin can than hear it again

It makes me mad because everyone seems to be using the fucking Wilhelm scream these days as a hipster thing to do, not as a stock sound that slipped into old movies because of limited budget. It breaks the immersion for me.

You motherfuckers spent 200 million dollar in making this movie, don't tell me you couldn't afford an actor to do the screams.

It makes me mad because everyone seems to be using the fucking Wilhelm scream these days as a hipster thing to do, not as a stock sound that slipped into old movies because of limited budget. It breaks the immersion for me.

You motherfuckers spent 200 million dollar in making this movie, don't tell me you couldn't afford an actor to do the screams.

The Wilhelm scream was never about limited budget. It was an in-joke that has now become a bit too widely known. At least most movies seem to limit its use to trailers recently, instead of putting it in the movie itself.

Acidyl

Not a line, but everytime a conversation happens, then the characters get in a car for like a one hour drive, get out and they continue said conversation. No talking for an hour??

The reall funny thing is that a lot of times when the actual driving scene is shown, they really don't say anything, with the driver looking to the road and the passenger outside to the side.

DavidDesu

Perhaps doesn't fit the thread exactly, but I watched Batman v Superman last night (I kinda liked it in the cinema and still don't hate it, don't shoot me) but it's INFURIATING that Superman doesn't just tell Batman straight away "Lex took my mother and threatened to kill her!" Just say that. Instead he says something like "wait, you don't understand" and then they just start punching each other for 5 minutes.

Just fucking blurt it out. It's amazing how many key moments in films come down to characters not just stating what happened, instead they get cut short and then just fucking carry on with massive misconceptions to their own detriment hanging in the air, and usually it takes some accident or a friend to finally tell to the truth to the up-to-that-point antagonist who immediately has a change of heart based on this info.

FFS!

Keym

Snarky❤;244418652 said:

"You've got three."

I always find this one more hilarious than annoying.

Another:

- So what's the plan?
- We improvise.

PaulBizkit

- MC struggles to open door/open a jar/beat down a bad guy

- Other character steps in and accomplishes this in two seconds

- "yeah, I loosened it for you"

C'mon, that's just cringe worthy now...

Jisgsaw

Snarky❤;244418652 said:

"You've got three."

The only thing worse is when you have this exact same conversation with your boss in real life.

:-(

JC Lately

YOU WON'T GET AWAY WITH THIS

....Oh, but I already have
(90% of the time, they actually haven't)

Unless this is Watchmen, and the character is Ozymandias, you do not get to say this. Ever.

My picks: The ”This is real life" bit and its variants:

”This isn't like what you seen in the movies."
”Forget what you've seen in the movies."
”This isn't a (just ) a game." <--- I foresee this one getting used a lot when the Ready Player One movie drops.

"Umm... (insert name)? You should take a look a this.."

I know It's for dramatic effect but stop being cryptic and just say what you saw right off the bat

JC Lately

"Umm... (insert name)? You should take a look a this.."

I know It's for dramatic effect but stop being cryptic and just say what you saw right off the bat

My wife and I call that The Picard Maneuver.

Not the clever military tactic that saved the Stargazer. I'm talking about the sheer number of times Picard will be somewhere on the opposite bloody end of the ship and Riker or LaForge will ring him up and say: ”You better come see this."

Does the fucking captain of the Federation's flagship really need to run all over the ship see the lame LCARS overlay of the latest warp core malfunction, or the crazy space tornado that just appeared off the starboard bow? No! Get him up to speed immediately so he can issues orders on his way to engineering or whatever. Or better yet, from the damn bridge where he belongs

"I think what (character) is *trying* to say is..."

If someone started trying to speak for me like this I would gently put my hand over my mouth and whisper in their ear: "If you keep talking, I will fucking kill you."

cordy

Banned
Two superheroes yap at each other about some domestic bullshit whilst fighting badguys
'Oh like the time you and X went loco in Y?'
'Don't remind me'
They tag team a robot or alien or whatever the fuck
'You owe me for that!'
'Yeah, and what about that time in Z?!'
'I had that under control!'
Big bad appears, genero death face magoo
'Someone got out the wrong side of bed this morning!'
Sparrows headbutts wall

250px-MvCI_Cover.png

Luminaire

"Remember when X taught us to Y that time?"

Really? You have to audibly explain to the audience that a kid knows how to change a battery in a line no human would ever say?

Characters are far too eloquent.

Very few 'ums' amd 'ers'

This sounds good on paper, but listening to it in an actual movie is the equivalent to watching a film with the cinematography of a Youtube video. Even documentaries would try to cut them if possible. Movies are intended to be appealing, easy to read, and to finish telling a story in a limited amount of time. Such technique would be only employed for specific narrative or artistic purposes where distracting the audience is intended. Otherwise it gets in the way .

Not so much lines, but the bad guy literally has the good guy in his hands and can kill him instantly, but for some inexplicable reason the bad guy proceeds to just throw the good guy across the room. Then proceeds to stalk him slowly while spewing bad guy dialogue. He then picks up the hero and has a chance to kill him again, only to throw the hero across the room AGAIN. And repeat...

Eventually the good guy spots an opening, takes advantage and escapes or kills the bad guy. Ugh.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Snarky&#10084;;244418652 said:

"You've got three."

Even worse when it is super exaggerated.

"You've got three minutes"

And then they do it.

Monocle

When a character literally says "We're not so different, you and I," I'm taken completely out of the movie. It's not a bad character trope but it's dumb as hell to state it flat out in that hamfisted way.

Dali

Snarky&#10084;;244418652 said:

"You've got three."

In the episode of Star Trek: tng where Scotty was pulled out of a warp buffer after years of being trapped he explained to Jordi that you tell the captain it'll take more time than it actually takes so when the captain inevitably demands sooner you can work the miracle.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
"Turn left"

"No your OTHER left"

ugh

it's annoying when people say that in real life, which I hear much more then in movies.

Even worse when it is super exaggerated.

"You've got three minutes"

And then they do it.

basically it means, bypass safety procedures and quality control.
Maybe that's why the consoles always explode on star trek.

when main character screaming "RUUUN", when everyone is already running from the danger...

same with "THIS WAY", while the guy stay still in the only path, leading the innocent bystanders, like they would be lost without him!

And "WATCH OUT"

Keym

"You have no idea the things I had to do to survive!"

Fuck you, you probably killed someone, just like everyone else in the same movie.

Top Bottom