• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Police Easily Startled" Warning Signs Appear in Twin Cities

It shows a genuine, true immaturity from these people and the many here that somehow continue to get away with "fuck the police" stuff all the time. Because I'm 100% positive that every, single person posting that stuff here run into only bad cops all the time.

a few bad apples spoil the batch. The day the blue wall comes down and the police start holding eachother accountable is the day people will change their views on the matter.

Because these cops are people too? Unless you're under the assumption that if someone becomes a police officer they forfeit their right to live? Tazers and pepper spray are not 100% effective. And who serves a greater purpose to society, those serving the people, or those that are a threat?

Once you understand that, you'll get why its not "strange."

Why can cops in other countries defend themselves and disarm perps with knives without killing them?

Plumbob

Approx 1000, although 70%+ of those the victim and/or perp has a weapon. But it's kind of debatable in a lot of cases how much of a threat that weapon actually is and if lethal force is required (or if there really even was a weapon). A strange one I've always thought is they are trained to shoot people weilding knives if they are approaching them at like a distance of 15 feet, which seems ridiculous. If someone is closing on you with a knife, and you have room to move, why don't you increase the distance between yourself and them, maybe deploy a tazer or mace/pepper spray if necessary, but just shooting someone without trying to create distance and deescalate is insane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

Why would you wave a knife at a cop 🙄

The sign is great, hope it spreads.

J-Rzez

It shows a genuine, true intellect from these people and the many here that somehow continue to get away with #notallcops stuff all of the time. Because I'm 100% positive that every, single person posting that stuff here don't deal with an oppressive system all of the time.

Our main issue is that the system is shitty, racist, and regressive and the cops are either perpetuating it or not doing anything about it. The issue is systemic.

Yes, thats all they do is perpetuate it or not try to do anything about it. Because every single dept in this country has these bad apples. Every department. Im sure that all people deal with is only bad cops. If someone is targeted or has these experiences every single time I wonder why that is. If there are issues like this, take correct action about it and use all proper channels.

Why can cops in other countries defend themselves and disarm perps with knives without killing them?

Because they can't all the time? Why should we risk someone trained and paid on tax payers dollars again. And why can't people get LEOs are people possibly with families and loved ones as well? Why should we defend the violent all the time?

theWB27

It shows a genuine, true immaturity from these people and the many here that somehow continue to get away with "fuck the police" stuff all the time. Because I'm 100% positive that every, single person posting that stuff here run into only bad cops all the time.

Im so tired of this bullshit its not even funny. As a black man im tired of people defending an institution that, if they took time out of their " me" bubble to do an ounce of research, can see the irrefutable proof of how they target minorities. Of how they get away with crimes regular folk wouldn't and how the good cops are not fighting to clean up this systemic racism.

As if your minds can't wrap around the logic that all of them not being bad doesn't excuse their reluctance to clean up this image that is backed up by real data.

It's not immaturity. Id call anyone who wants to ignore the facts surrounding this union more immature than anyone else.

Because in America we have stories of cops getting off without even a slap on the wrist after killing people who pose no threat to them and killing in cold blood.

So fuck that noise you bring. Imn 100% positive that the problems people have with cops is real and not made up.

Because they can't all the time? Why should we risk someone trained and paid on tax payers dollars again. And why can't people get LEOs are people possibly with families and loved ones as well? Why should we defend the violent all the time?

If they can't do the job they are sworn and paid to do, then they shouldn't be cops. They aren't fucking born with a badge. They knew the risks when they signed up. Do the job correctly or get the fuck out of the way.

Lois_Lane

Yes, thats all they do is perpetuate it or not try to do anything about it. Because every single dept in this country has these bad apples. Every department. Im sure that all people deal with is only bad cops. If someone is targeted or has these experiences every single time I wonder why that is. If there are issues like this, take correct action about it and use all proper channels.

What proper channels??? Almost every cop who commits a crime like this fucking walks. Are you serious right now?

Edit:
Also fuck the second half of this paragraph. We hold soldiers in active war zones to hire standards. You can't cut it then quit and get an actually deadly job like lumberjacking.

HeatBoost

I've never personally had trouble with police once in my entire life. They've even helped me out a few times with flat tires and the like.

I think these signs are justified. They're as justified as if you started hanging up "Stop blowing up foreign civilians" signs in front of military bases or "Quit raping people" signs on college campuses.

If the criticism doesn't apply to you, great! Good for you. But if you can't see that it's a justified criticism, then maybe you care more about looking good and your own hurt feelings than some seriously horrible shit that's going on

The saying is that one bad apple spoils the bunch. Departments either don't punish the cops enough or don't punish them at all.

People have been taking action and going through proper channels, but the frustration arises when doing it the "proper" way doesn't do anything. It doesn't change anything. It doesn't change the entire police culture. Tamir Rice's shooter didn't get time. Or Philando Castile's shooter.

I don't see how putting up signs like the one in the OP is an improper way of doing it. People gonna protest.

olag

We are not or at the very least Im not. What this reflects is a clear lack of training when it comes to deescalation and civilian interactions. Ofcoarse the gun situation in america doesnt help but thats another battle altogether.

Speaking as someone from the UK who has relatives in the US I would prefer it if your police force didnt approach each and every situation they encounter with potentially lethal force because of the color of peoples skin. In addition I would also like to see more accountability, as it stands when ever there is an incident its INTERNATIONAL common knowledge to assume that the initial police statement is most likely bullshit. Now you tell me what that says about your system.

Syriel

Because cops are PAID to take that risk. They get the benefits because they are putting their neck out on the line.

They are SUPPOSED to be doing what it takes to deescalate situations.

A cop who fires a weapon out of fear is no better than a civilian with a gun. And hey, not everyone is cut out to be a cop. But if you put on the badge, you need to get over that fear.

Police should only be firing at verified threats. They should be held to a higher standard.

Tedesco!

Because cops are PAID to take that risk. They get the benefits because they are putting their neck out on the line.

They are SUPPOSED to be doing what it takes to deescalate situations.

A cop who fires a weapon out of fear is no better than a civilian with a gun. And hey, not everyone is cut out to be a cop. But if you put on the badge, you need to get over that fear.

Police should only be firing at verified threats. They should be held to a higher standard.

What constitutes a verified threat?

Syriel

What constitutes a verified threat?

Take a look at military rules of engagement for one. When soldiers have more restraint than police, it's a problem.

The standard can't be "I was scared."

Lethal force should only be used to stop an action in progress.

Nothing from the past few months meets that standard. They all fall under "I was scared."

Take a look at military rules of engagement for one. When soldiers have more restraint than police, it's a problem.

Nothing from the past few months meets that standard. They all fall under "I was scared."

This.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

St. Paul Police Department spokesman Steve Linders confirmed there was at least one sign in St. Paul and another in Minneapolis. Linders didn't comment on any reaction from officers to the signs.

"We are aware of the signs and Minneapolis Public Works is removing them," Minneapolis Police Department spokeswoman Sgt. Catherine Michal said. "We have no further comment at this time."

The next morning, when Free went by the place where the sign had been, it was gone. The sign was taken down because it was attached to a legitimate street sign, Linders said, but he was unsure if the incident was being investigated as vandalism.

Tedesco!

The bolded is the biggest issue I have with law enforcement, and I am speaking as someone that works with law enforcement: There is no consistency across the board.

Some states have a governing agency that oversees all their agencies, while others do not. Training time varies from state to state due to funds or mandates. Some states don't have organized training centers and have to rely on individual agencies to train their officers, while other states have a statewide training centers, but even then not all training is done at those academies; some is still done within the individual agencies. You get the idea.

Rules of engagement can vary between agencies, so the threshold for what an officer constitutes as "scared" varies. To fix something like this will take a lot of time and money (again, depending on the state).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

8BtxQ1B.png

Enzom21

Yes, let's make it a hip thing to insult the million+ US officers that actually do the right thing. That'll show 'em.

On topic, it's a good jab at an area that has clearly had more than their fair share of policing issues, too bad the public works folks will be the poor bastards that will have to work to take them down, lucky them.

Million+ good cops? This must mean law enforcement is free of corruption... I mean if there are so many good cops, how can any bad cops possibly remain employed?

--
Of course J-Rzez is in here bitching. Anything less than love and admiration for your chosen profession is like the bat signal for you.

How many bad cops have you turned in J-Rzez?

SeanC

Shame the hell out of them until they do something like make an effort to reproach how they are trained and show accountability. Got no problem with this and anyone who does is blind to the problems about how the police are ran in the US. Covering shit up, planting evidence, conveniently having "problems" with cameras, they're shameful.

Yes, we can say "not all cops" and there are those that do their job, but those are the ones that need to speak out and do something about this then if they want to not be shamed and embarrassed by civilians speaking out - whether it's blaring "fuck the police" out their window at a funeral or posting these signs. The cops drew the line in the sand.

Mael

This.
I mean it's pretty telling that we would have a better situation if the country was under military rule.
Just think about what this says about the situation for a second.

Enzom21

Shame the hell out of them until they do something like make an effort to reproach how they are trained and show accountability. Got no problem with this and anyone who does is blind to the problems about how the police are ran in the US. Covering shit up, planting evidence, conveniently having "problems" with cameras, they're shameful.

Yes, we can say "not all cops" and there are those that do their job, but those are the ones that need to speak out and do something about this then if they want to not be shamed and embarrassed by civilians speaking out - whether it's blaring "fuck the police" out their window at a funeral or posting these signs. The cops drew the line in the sand.

How do you shame the shameless? Cops are more concerned with people not respecting their chosen profession than they are with their fellow cops who break the law.

Tedesco!

Sadly that could take decades.

Dynasty

This times 100
http://www.npr.org/2016/12/08/50471...e-slower-to-shoot-but-that-got-this-vet-fired

Basically a vet was able to talk down a man trying to commit suicide by cop, backup arrives and immedietly shoot and kill the guy when he starts waving the gun. The vet is then fired for putting the life of his fellow officers in danger because he didnt shoot the guy straight away. Also the gun wasnt loaded in the end.

olag

This times 100
http://www.npr.org/2016/12/08/50471...e-slower-to-shoot-but-that-got-this-vet-fired

Basically a vet was able to talk down a man trying to commit suicide by cop, backup arrives and immedietly shoot and kill the guy when he starts waving the gun. The vet is then fired for putting the life of his fellow officers in danger because he didnt shoot the guy straight away. Also the gun wasnt loaded in the end.

The fact that the vet was fired without so much as a squeak from the supposed good apples just infuriates me to no end.

Tedesco!

The fact that the vet was fired without so much as a squeak from the supposed good apples just infuriates me to no end.

I know it is easy to point the finger at the "good apples", but a lot of that is stopped before it can begin due to the unions.

Dynasty

The cop was a good apple and got fired(so they do exist), this discourages other good apples from going public because at the end of the day they have to look out for there family and livelyhood, when a cop 'rats' out one of there own the whole system will work against them, some there fellow officers will harrass them, unions wont support them, there superiors wil discriminate against them. The system is screwed, good cops have been made an example of whereas bad cops get away with literal cold blooded murder with a simple excuse "I feared for my life, that black guy was walking/standing/sitting"

olag

I know it is easy to point the finger at the "good apples", but a lot of that is stopped before it can begin due to the unions.

I know. Still kinda hurts though. Here's a situation where a policeman was not only able to save a suicidal individual but also show the potential good training might have on the entire police force. And what does the system do? It spits on him, drags him through the mud and then leaves him high and dry just for doing his job.

If something like this can happen, how can anyone still have faith in the police system?

theWB27

The cop was a good apple and got fired(so they do exist), this discourages other good apples from going public because at the end of the day they have to look out for there family and livelyhood, when a cop 'rats' out one of there own the whole system will work against them, some there fellow officers will harrass them, unions wont support them, there superiors wil discriminate against them. The system is screwed, good cops have been made an example of whereas bad cops get away with literal cold blooded murder with a simple excuse "I feared for my life, that black guy was walking/standing/sitting"

Your reasoning is insulting. The "good" apples would rather keep the status quo and see innocent people be killed by their peers and get off free. That does not excuse their behavior.

We live in a world of instant media.

Top Bottom