• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Backlog Blitz - We may stumble and fall but shall rise again

Do you guys count games that you get from monthly promotional things, such as Humble, PS+, and Games With Gold in your backlog? It seems kind of unfair to count games that you had no choice in selecting. I think with mine I'm only going to count the ones that I would actually be interested in, and not the ones that I'm redeeming just because they're free*. Still, might make this difficult.

There's no reason to count anything else then things you buy with the intention to beat/play thoroughly.

Every game you happen to have access to is not a backlog game.

rdytoroll

There's no reason to count anything else then things you buy with the intention to beat/play thoroughly.

Every game you happen to have access to is not a backlog game.

I agree with this. I have a lot of freebies on PS+ or other stuff that I'd never play, so it's not in my backlog and I don't count them at all.

Slythe

Last year I completed the 52 game challenge, but I probably bought twice that many. This year I just want to whittle away at that big pile, and not buy anything new.

Update: I severely underestimated how many Switch games I would want to purchase. Also the release of Bayonetta and Vanquish compelled me to "vote with my wallet" for Sega to continue the ports.
Last Updated 6/8/17

Games Beaten: 8
Games Bought: 11
Games Gifted(*): 1

Current score: 0

Beaten:
1. Final Fantasy VII [PS4]
2. The Last of Us: Remastered + Left Behind [PS4]
3. The Last Guardian [PS4]
4. Uncharted 4 [PS4]
5. Snipper Clips [Switch]
6. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies [PS2]
7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [Switch]*
8. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

Bought:
1. Fast RMX [Switch]
2. Snipper Clips [Switch]
3. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies [PS2]
4. Bayonetta [PC]
5. Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War [PS2]
6. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe [Switch]
7. Vanquish [PC]
8. XIII [PC]
9. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl [PC]
10. Age of Empires 2 [PC]
11. Roller Coaster Tycoon: Deluxe [PC]

Months:
January: +1
February: +3
March: -2
April: 0
May: -1
June: -4

Do you guys count games that you get from monthly promotional things, such as Humble, PS+, and Games With Gold in your backlog? It seems kind of unfair to count games that you had no choice in selecting. I think with mine I'm only going to count the ones that I would actually be interested in, and not the ones that I'm redeeming just because they're free*. Still, might make this difficult.

I only count them (and add them to my backloggery) if I start playing them and intend on finishing them. Otherwise I don't bother, it just seems like needless clutter.

The only downside is you have to keep track of all your PS+ (or whatever) games but I do that anyway because I like to know what games I'll lose if I let my sub run out.

I'll wait until the end of the month to post my progress but thanks as always for running the thread, archnemesis.

MadSexual

-- So, uh... D4... I didn't think I'd have an update this soon.

-- These irresistible Humble Bundles always seem to drop at the start of the year. Fuck. I'm omitting some of the titles I wasn't seeking in the bundle, so that makes it a bit more manageable I suppose. Not sure I could ever beat N++ anyway.

Bought in January: 5
* Life is Strange
* Pony Island
* Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
* VA-11 Hall-A
* Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Beat in January: 2
* D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
* Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Bought in 2017: 5
Beat in 2017: 2
Net Score: -3

DBT85

Liked R&C so much in now finished it 3 times this is year, saw the credits twice today lol.

But Platinum earned. I don't get many so for a game to make me want to play and play is rare.

Woop!

Edit: today I played Journey for the first time ever (mad I know) and finished it. The only 2 trophies I don't have are the two for finishing with a companion.

Danielsan

Man, things were going well, but I won/got gifted 3 bundle games this week. Still at +4 though!

Currently working my way through BIT.TRIP Runner 2. Man, this game is so good. Can't believe I only played a couple of levels prior. Got to the fourth world today. Will definitely beat it this week.

Smilax

How is everyone holding up? Just got done with BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend and it was way longer than the first game. I don't really understand whats going on, but I think I got the gist of it.

Also, for a little fun, what is your weapon of choice when tackling these games? I use my Steam controller for games that feel unnatural on KB+M.

Teggy

I'm doing pretty good, I haven't bought any bundles this year (a whole 11 days) and have finished 4 games. But I'm buying Gravity Rush 2, Nier, probably RE7, etc, etc. But I should play those immediately.

Spyware

I'm doing fine atm. Started with -6 due to the Steam sale and is currently at +1 so that feels like a success! I think I might get done with another game today or tomorrow.
Then I dunno what to play at all. I would like to get done with the NES, but my SO is telling me that my two NES games are pretty hard and I feel like playing something simple first.

As for controllers I would love to try the Steam controller, but I've heard many people say it doesn't work well with long nails. My current controllers to choose between if a game feels bad with m/kb is an 8bitdo SFC30 (a cool wireless SNES controller pretty much) and an Xbox Elite. The SFC30 is used with smaller games where all the extra stuff of the Elite is only in the way. Especially small games that don't actually support controllers (making the sticks useless).
The paddles on the Elite makes it godly for everything else. I will never again have to press down a stick!

I'm currently doing quite fine at -1. I don't intend to buy any more games in January and I should have enough time to beat a couple more games.

Danielsan

I'm doing pretty good as well. I have yet to buy any games (though I did receive a few), and I've just beaten my 8th backlog game today, so I'm at +5. I will probably tackle at least one or two additional indie titles in my backlog around the end of the week.

MiTYH

Curious, do any of these backlog manager sites have mobile versions? That'd be what I use to manage my (mostly) PS4/WiiU/3DS backlog, but I haven't found one that I like so far

How is everyone holding up? Just got done with BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend and it was way longer than the first game. I don't really understand whats going on, but I think I got the gist of it.

Also, for a little fun, what is your weapon of choice when tackling these games? I use my Steam controller for games that feel unnatural on KB+M.

Fine, I guess. I'm still sitting at 0 and am slowly working my way through Steins;Gate and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13. I'm pretty sure I'll only end up buying one or two games this month, so I should at least stay even.

Smilax

I'm doing fine atm. Started with -6 due to the Steam sale and is currently at +1 so that feels like a success! I think I might get done with another game today or tomorrow.
Then I dunno what to play at all. I would like to get done with the NES, but my SO is telling me that my two NES games are pretty hard and I feel like playing something simple first.

As for controllers I would love to try the Steam controller, but I've heard many people say it doesn't work well with long nails. My current controllers to choose between if a game feels bad with m/kb is an 8bitdo SFC30 (a cool wireless SNES controller pretty much) and an Xbox Elite. The SFC30 is used with smaller games where all the extra stuff of the Elite is only in the way. Especially small games that don't actually support controllers (making the sticks useless).
The paddles on the Elite makes it godly for everything else. I will never again have to press down a stick!
Huh, I never thought about that, but yeah. I can see how. The face buttons are pretty close to the right track pad so it would probably get pretty annoying. I wish there was a place for people to demo it, because i love using gyro controls on it for FPS games like Fallout, Borderlands, ect.

Fine, I guess. I'm still sitting at 0 and am slowly working my way through Steins;Gate and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13. I'm pretty sure I'll only end up buying one or two games this month, so I should at least stay even.

Ohh man, Steins;Gate was one of my favorite VNs when it came out. I should come back to that and get the other endings.

Kirie

Doing surprisingly well! +3 atm, and should be clearing out another few indie visual novels in the next few days too. 10 games left in my backlog right now.

At around 25 hours in DQVII and I'm not sure if I can beat it before Tales of Berseria gets here, but I'll keep chugging away at it.

I might actually end up retiring Final Fantasy Type: 0 and selling it back, because I just don't really have the interest anymore in playing it...not to mention I still have FFXV and World of FF to get through.

EDIT: Well I was doing well until a friend pointed out that positive humble bundle, now I'm at -2 lol :( ah well. I only kept 3 of the games and gave the others away, not the worst thing in the world

Doing well enough here. At +2 right now, and should be able to get to at least +4 this month, maybe more. I might grab Zero Mission on Wii U VC while that My Nintendo coupon is available, though.

Initially I had a -1 as well due to craving some Picross and deciding to give Pokemon Picross a shot... but now I've hit that F2P wall and apparently need to grind a tiny amount of in-game currency each day in order to eventually proceed a little bit further, then repeating the process. Fuck that, I'm ditching this shit.

DBT85

Happy with my +2 so far. Now I'm on Uncharted 1 Remaster and I've just done Chapter 5. Playing thus far I think the only reason I bought the remaster set was because I'd played them so long ago and wanted to see the remaster and thought I might be better at it. I'm not lol.

Merkunt

Tried this in 2015 but ended up failing miserably, same mistake in 2016, in total I've amassed over 350 games in the past 2/3 years, and I've yet to complete 98% of them.

2017 will be different as I'll strive to play more and buy less.

Bought in 2017:

Currently playing:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition (second Platinum replay) (0)
Darkest Dungeon
Ziggurat

Edit: Done with Souls

Ohh man, Steins;Gate was one of my favorite VNs when it came out. I should come back to that and get the other endings.

Yeah, I think I'm pretty close to the end of my first playthrough and it's pretty great. After that I'll take a look at a spoiler free walkthrough and try to figure out how to get the other endings.

Steins;Gate 0 is actually one of the two games I'm going to end up buying this month, since it's currently on sale on the EU PSN.

Ikon

Quick update here (+2).

Beaten:
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360) - What a shit show. I had fun with the multiplayer years ago but didn't try the campaign until recently. Worst CoD campaign by far. Even Blops3 with its shit story was better. I'm done with this series, everything's been bad for a while now.
Fire Emblem Fates (3DS) - Finally. This managed to outstay its welcome. I just don't have the same kind of time to play games anymore and the pace of this series is just too slow now. In combination with the worst story of the series I'm starting to think this will be the last one I get unless something drastic changes in the future. This also makes me done with every 3DS game I own.

Bought:
Nothing :)

Platinumed:
DOOM (PS4) - Amazing game! Made me care about the FPS genre in a way I haven't for ages.

Quit:
Dungeon Siege 3 (360) - Dear lord, talk about having close to no redeeming qualities. Glad to have it out of my backlog atleast.
Shadows of the Damned (360) - I can see how some people would enjoy this game. Seeing as how I don't like the superior-and-similar-in-some-ways Resi4 this just wasn't for me.

Currently playing:
Red Dead Redemption (360) - I never liked this game back then. Thought it'd end up in the same category as my two quit games so far but it turns out I absolutely fell in love with it instead. I'm doing less meaningless side stuff this time and am just trying to move through the story, which seems like the way to do it. Funnily enough this game might end up among my favorite games on the 360. Also, this is the second to last game for this system in my backlog :)

Smilax

Fellow Comrades, help me, the Humble Bundle winter sale is killing me, two games I want are on sale but I already have so many games to play!

How do you guys go in the dark during sales? Let me tell you, its hard when two games just cost 12 bucks in total.

DBT85

Fellow Comrades, help me, the Humble Bundle winter sale is killing me, two games I want are on sale but I already have so many games to play!

How do you guys go in the dark during sales? Let me tell you, its hard when two games just cost 12 bucks in total.

Now I just think about how long it'll be till I play them and that by then it'll likely be on sale again.

There are three major Steam sales (and countless smaller ones) every year, not to mention events on GOG, Humble, and others. Any game you're interested in will undoubtedly be on sale again soon, maybe even cheaper. Only buy games that you're sure you're gonna play immediately.

allansm

Now I just think about how long it'll be till I play them and that by then it'll likely be on sale again.

There are three major Steam sales (and countless smaller ones) every year, not to mention events on GOG, Humble, and others. Any game you're interested in will undoubtedly be on sale again soon, maybe even cheaper. Only buy games that you're sure you're gonna play immediately.

This. No point in buying a game if you won't play it right away or before the next sale. Another thing that helps me is to think of the genres of the games on my backlog. I have plenty of strategy games and RPGs on my backlog, so Deserts of Kharak and I Am Setsuna will spend a long time on my wishlist.

January Update (01/14/17): Kickin' off the new year with those negative digits, yo!

Supplementary Posts:
Backloggery Profile
Q1 2015 Blitz (w/ 2014 Beaten Retrospective)
Q1 2016 Blitz (w/ 2015 Beaten Retrospective)
"Game of the Year 2015" Ballot
"Most Anticipated 2017" Ballot
2016 "Beaten" Retrospective
  1. 01/01 - The Order: 1886 (PS4)
  2. 01/02 - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
  3. 02/02 - Life Is Strange (PS4)
  4. 02/10 - Gravity Rush [Remastered] (PS4)
  5. 02/19 - Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PS4)
  6. 02/28 - Minecraft (PS4)
  7. 03/06 - Shovel Knight (PS4)
  8. 03/13 - DmC: Devil May Cry [Definitive Edition] (PS4)
  9. 03/15 - DmC: Devil May Cry [Definitive Edition] --> Vergil's Downfall DLC (PS4)
  10. 04/16 - Resident Evil 6 (PS4)
  11. 04/30 - Tales from the Borderlands (PS4)
  12. 05/21 - Dark Souls III (PS4)
  13. 05/28 - Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty (PS4)
  14. 06/05 - Zero Escape: 999 - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Dours (NDS)
  15. 06/13 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (PS4)
  16. 06/26 - Shadow of the Beast (PS4)
  17. 07/03 - Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PS4)
  18. 07/09 - Rocket League (PS4)
  19. 07/14 - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Vita)
  20. 07/28 - Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (Vita)
  21. 08/28 - Doom (PS4)
  22. 09/08 - Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet (PS4)
  23. 09/17 - Shadow Complex [Remastered] (PS4)
  24. 09/18 - Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (PS4)
  25. 09/20 - Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel (PS4)
  26. 09/29 - Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (PS4)
  27. 10/10 - Thomas Was Alone (PS4)
  28. 10/11 - Thomas Was Alone --> Benjamin's Flight DLC (PS4)
  29. 11/20 - Attack on Titan (PS4)
  30. 11/25 - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
  31. 11/27 - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
  32. 12/08 - REZ Infinite (PS4)
  33. 12/12 - The Last Guardian (PS4)
  34. 12/30 - Steins;Gate 0 (PS4)
Purchased (2017): -04 [exc. 12 pre-orders + 01 nullified]
  • 01/01 – The Walking Dead: Season Two (PS4)
  • 01/02 – The Wolf Among Us (PS4)
  • 01/04 – Firewatch (PS4)
  • 01/05 – Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut (PS4)
    NULL 01/04 – Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Vita)
    NULL 01/15 – Steins;Gate: The Distant Valhalla (PC; Dōjin soft)
    PO 01/17 – Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (PS4)
    PO 01/20 – Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
    PO 01/24 – Yakuza 0 (PS4)
    PO 02/07 – Touhou Genso Wanderer (PS4)
    PO 02/28 – Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
    PO 02/28 – Skullgirls: 2nd Encore (PS4)
    PO 03/07 – Nier: Automata (PS4)
    PO 03/17 – Danganronpa 1+2 Reload (PS4)
    PO 04/04 – Persona 5 (PS4)
    PO 04/18 – The Silver Case (PS4)
    PO 12/31 – Shenmue III (PS4)
    PO 03/31/18 – Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)
Beaten (2017): +01
  • 01/08 – Firewatch (PS4)
  • 01/15 – NULLED: Steins;Gate: The Distant Valhalla (PC; Dōjin soft)
Overall Blitz Score: -03

Shit, look like I'm off to a bad start again.

Finished Games

- FFXV (PS4) (1/2/17)
- Gigawing (Arcade) (1/2/17)

New Games

- Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD (1/14/17)

Score = +1

Sora_N

Bought: 0
Beaten: 4

Score: +3

Beat:

January: 2
14 January: Splatoon (WiiU)
21 January: Uncharted 4

February: 2
5 February: Bound (PS4)
23 February: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS)

Bought:

January: 0

February: 0

marcincz

My backloggery

Bought: 2
1. Dead Space (PS3) - 02/01/2017 *rebuy
2. Virginia (PS4) - 02/01/2017
3. Firewatch (PS4) - 12/01/2017 *rebuy - LRG ed.
4. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PSV) - 12/01/2017 - LRG ed.

Beaten: 2
1. Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4) - 02/01/2017
2. Virginia (PS4) - 05/01/2017

Score: 0

Currently playing:
Ghost Trick (NDS)
Ori and the Blind Forest: DE (XBO)

Mid-month update! As always, January has started off really strong and I've been able to get through a handful of games. To be fair, I had already made a ton of progress in the longer games on my list, and as a result of doing some travelling, I was able to fit in some more portable gaming.

1/15/17 Update
Backloggery

Bought in 2017: 0
Beat in 2017: +7
Current Score: +7

Bought
January (0)
  • Nothing!
Beaten:
January (+7)
  • Pokemon Moon
  • Super Mario Run
  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
  • Abzu
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
  • My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Currently Playing:
  • Dishonored 2
  • Final Fantasy XV

Spyware

So I was at a healthy +3 despite starting out on -6, and what do I do? I go and purchase 3 more games to get back to 0! Yay me! >:D
I just couldn't handle that Assassin's Creed Chronicles price. :D

Hey, so what happens if I sell a game in my backlog?
There isn't a rule or anything for this, just do whatever you feel is appropriate.
I would remove the purchase listing if it was in my Memory Card on Backloggery and then stealth delete the game. Like it was never there to begin with.

There isn't a rule or anything for this, just do whatever you feel is appropriate.
I would remove the purchase listing if it was in my Memory Card on Backloggery and then stealth delete the game. Like it was never there to begin with.

Same here. If I bought it like 5 years ago then I don't bother counting it because it feels like I'm just padding my numbers. Basically, I think the +1 removed should nullify the -1 when I bought it. So something like Amplitude, which I got from its Kickstarter early last year, counted as a +1 removed when I eventually realised I was never going to finish it. But when I removed a game I'd bought years ago, like Dead Nation, I just stealth deleted it on Backloggery and didn't count it towards my total.

DBT85

Another one ticked off, Uncharted Drakes Fortune Remaster. Honestly I'd forgotten about the
monster things
toward the end. It annoyed me this time too. Might go back and try to get some of the more attainable trophies but sure as shit won't be trying a crushing run. Died about 12 times on the last chapter on normal lol. Also it's mad that for brutal killing 5 in a row you get a silver, but for beating the game on normal only a bronze.

Glad I played it to see what they'd done with the remaster, but also kind of wish I hadn't. So strange that with R&C I loved every minute and couldn't wait to play more. This far less so. Maybe that's my level lol.

Anyway, +3!

Smilax

Gamedeed has been such help for me. Ive been focusing on the games that have the lowest play time to get out of the way and just leave the big games for later. I'm at +10 now cuz I have like a lot of small playtime games haha

It's bad that I already have a game in my backlog. Right now, my backlog consist of Captain America and the Avengers (NES), and Rocky (SMS).

Kirie

Finally managed to beat all the humble bundle games I bought on a whim and then a few other small games, so I'm finally back in the positive at +4!

Any suggestions on what to do with Kickstarter games? I backed Torment: Tides of Numenera ages ago and it's coming out late February..Not sure if I should -1 it or 0 it and just +1 it when I finish since I technically paid for it over 4 years ago. Guess it really doesn't matter much, but curious what others do for them!

Any suggestions on what to do with Kickstarter games? I backed Torment: Tides of Numenera ages ago and it's coming out late February..Not sure if I should -1 it or 0 it and just +1 it when I finish since I technically paid for it over 4 years ago. Guess it really doesn't matter much, but curious what others do for them!

Personally, I count -1 when the game is actually released, rather than at the moment of backing. I wouldn't want to take the "backlog hit" years in advance, with no possibility of clearing it until much later. :) I guess there's always the slight chance that the game never comes out, as well...

Teggy

Tomorrow will be my first -1 with Gravity Rush 2. 20 days is pretty good for me, lol. Going to start getting ugly soon, though. So many games coming...

Well, since it's no longer in your backlog you could count it as "removed" and give yourself a +1.

Thanks for the responses guys. I feel like the spirit of this thread is to play games, not sell them, so I decided to just stealth delete them and not change my score.

So far I'm at +3, hoping to beat at least two more games before the month is over. March is going to be a killer month for my score with the Switch release.

Kirie

Personally, I count -1 when the game is actually released, rather than at the moment of backing. I wouldn't want to take the "backlog hit" years in advance, with no possibility of clearing it until much later. :) I guess there's always the slight chance that the game never comes out, as well...

This is probably how I'll end up doing it as well :) Thanks!

Smilax

What do you guys do about Arcade games like Crazy Taxi, where there isn't an end game, but just crazy old school video game fun

jadjei

I would count it as -3 and then give myself a +1 for each game you complete in the collection. If you prefer to count it as a -1 then that is fine too.

Yea I'm going to do that, it would make more sense if I do that.

EDIT:

Update: January

Bought: Ace Attorney Trilogy (-3)

Beaten: 0

Overall Points: -3

Podge293

Update for January

Current Score = 0

Bought: 1 stellaris

Finished: 1
GOT(telltale).

Sunk 6 hours into it today. The rest of my backlog is doomed 😰

jadjei

Update the flash sale got me T_T.

January:

Bought:
Castlevania IV: SOTN (-1)
Steamworld Dig (-1)
Child of light (-1)
Breath of Fire IV (-1)
Injustice: Gods Amongs Us Ultimate Edition (-1)
Ace Attorney Trilogy (-3)

Beaten: 0

Overall Points: -8

Does ps+ games downloaded but probably never planned to be played count as backlog?:p

Last year I had my big plan to clear my backlog. Did not go well I started with a backlog of like 40 games ended up with a current backlog around 45 games.. Only completed around 5 or so.

What do you guys do about Arcade games like Crazy Taxi, where there isn't an end game, but just crazy old school video game fun

You could set an arbitrary objective if you want, like reaching a certain rank/level, getting a certain rating on every level, unlocking everything, etc., depending on the systems involved in the game. Or you could just play until you feel "satisfied" with the game, whatever that means to you, then mark it as completed.

Does ps+ games downloaded but probably never planned to be played count as backlog?:p

No, only count what you actually want/intend to play. :) For PS+ games (and other "free" games due to promotions or whatever), personally I only count the -1 when I actually start playing one, otherwise there's no way I'd keep up with it.

Top Bottom