• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Week 1, 2024 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

After a short delay, the latest UK boxed charts are now in and this week sees the return to a very familiar top three.

Hogwarts Legacy once again finds itself ahead of the pack, while last week's silver medalist and Christmas number one (sort of), Super Mario Bros. Wonder, has dropped a place and now sits in second. This has left room for the old faithful EA Sports FC 24 to slide into the top rankings once again after briefly spending a week at number six.
The rest of the chart is just as unsurprising this week too. The classics of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Nintendo Switch Sports and Minecraft all hang about in the top ten (because of course they do) and the rest of the lineup is much as you might expect. That said, the Switch is the most popular platform for NBA 2K24 this week, which is... something.

Here's your look at this week's top 40 in full, with platform splits for Switch games that also appear on other platforms:
Last WeekThis WeekGamePlatform Split
11Hogwarts LegacyPS5 41%, PS4 27%, Switch 19%, Xbox One 6%
62EA Sports FC 24PS5 40%, PS4 24%, Switch 24%, Xbox Series 11%
23Super Mario Bros. Wonder
84Mortal Kombat 11 UltimatePS5 51%, PS4 48%, Xbox Series 1%, Switch 0%
45Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
36Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
57Marvel's Spider-Man 2
78Grand Theft Auto V
109Nintendo Switch Sports
1210Minecraft
1311Animal Crossing: New Horizons
912Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora
1413Assassin's Creed Mirage
2014The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
1515Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
-16The Sims 4: For Rent
1717Just Dance 2024 EditionSwitch 96%, PS5 3%, Xbox 1%
1818The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
1619Sonic SuperstarsSwitch 58%, PS5 28%, Xbox Series 8%, PS4 6%
2120WreckfestPS5 99%, PS4 1%, Switch 1%, Xbox One 0%
-21It Takes TwoSwitch 57%, PS4 43%, Xbox Series 0%
3022The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY EditionPC 92%, PS4 4%, Xbox One 3%, Switch 0%
1923Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
3524NBA 2K24Switch 37%, PS5 31%, PS4 21%, Xbox Series 11%
2225LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaSwitch 46%, PS5 38%, PS4 10%, Xbox Series 6%
2326Mario Party Superstars
2427Cyberpunk 2077
3428Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive EditionPS4 41%, Switch 35%, Xbox Series 24%
-29Mafia Trilogy
2730Pokémon Violet
-31Ring Fit Adventure
253230 in 1 Game Collection
4033LEGO Harry Potter CollectionSwitch 70%, PS4 25%, Xbox One 6%
3634New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
-35Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
3736Super Mario Odyssey
3237The Crew Motorfest
-38Bluey: The VideogameSwitch 74%, PS4 10%, PS5 10%, Xbox Series 6%
2939Elden Ring
-40Dark Souls Trilogy

[Sales Data Compiled by GfK]

Bernoulli

M2 slut
PS5 51%, PS4 48%, Xbox Series 1%, Switch 0%

PS5 41%, PS4 27%, Switch 19%, Xbox One 6%

PS5 40%, PS4 24%, Switch 24%, Xbox Series 11%
Frustrated World Cup GIF

The refresh digital only makes sense now

Last edited:

mdkirby

Pretty damning stats for xbox. It’s no wonder Sony is more easily able to get third party exclusivity deals looking at that, any publisher would be out of their mind to sacrifice 80-90% of their sales unless crazy amounts of cash were dumped in their lap.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wait a min.....

2K24 sold the most on the....Switch???

Hogwarts didnt even chart on Series consoles??? This has to be a typo........cot dayum.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

MK11 with 99% sold on Playstation is NUTS!

Combined with, hopefully not alot, Xbox users seemingly all in on "I'll Wait For It To Be On Game Pass " and....yeah......

Last edited:

jroc74

Frustrated World Cup GIF

This is the UK Boxed Charts, btw, so that's why the split heavily skews towards PS4/PS5/Switch. Imma ask the mods to put that in the thread title.
Ok, now it makes sense.

Xbox users really aren't buying physical games....huh.

Ppl still buying physical on the damn PS4 and XBO and not on Series consoles is....wild.

Saber

Gold Member
Its very sad to see Xbox owers don't buying games. How the heck they want to move up games if you guys don't give a fuck about buying them? Stupid lazy people thinking of waiting everything to go to GP, dissapointing.

Last edited:

freefornow

Gold Member
Last WeekThis WeekGamePlatform Split
11Hogwarts LegacyPS5 41%, PS4 27%, Switch 19%, Xbox One 6%
62EA Sports FC 24PS5 40%, PS4 24%, Switch 24%, Xbox Series 11%
23Super Mario Bros. Wonder
84Mortal Kombat 11 UltimatePS5 51%, PS4 48%, Xbox Series 1%, Switch 0%
45Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
36Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
57Marvel's Spider-Man 2
78Grand Theft Auto V
109Nintendo Switch Sports
1210Minecraft
1311Animal Crossing: New Horizons
912Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora
1413Assassin's Creed Mirage
2014The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
1515Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
-16The Sims 4: For Rent
1717Just Dance 2024 EditionSwitch 96%, PS5 3%, Xbox 1%
1818The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
1619Sonic SuperstarsSwitch 58%, PS5 28%, Xbox Series 8%, PS4 6%
2120WreckfestPS5 99%, PS4 1%, Switch 1%, Xbox One 0%
-21It Takes TwoSwitch 57%, PS4 43%, Xbox Series 0%
3022The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY EditionPC 92%, PS4 4%, Xbox One 3%, Switch 0%
1923Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
3524NBA 2K24Switch 37%, PS5 31%, PS4 21%, Xbox Series 11%
2225LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaSwitch 46%, PS5 38%, PS4 10%, Xbox Series 6%
2326Mario Party Superstars
2427Cyberpunk 2077
3428Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive EditionPS4 41%, Switch 35%, Xbox Series 24%
-29Mafia Trilogy
2730Pokémon Violet
-31Ring Fit Adventure
253230 in 1 Game Collection
4033LEGO Harry Potter CollectionSwitch 70%, PS4 25%, Xbox One 6%
3634New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
-35Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
3736Super Mario Odyssey
3237The Crew Motorfest
-38Bluey: The VideogameSwitch 74%, PS4 10%, PS5 10%, Xbox Series 6%
2939Elden Ring
-40Dark Souls Trilogy

[Sales Data Compiled by GfK]

Your doing it wrong!!!!
s7ESuZd.png

Woopah

Ok, now it makes sense.

Xbox users really aren't buying physical games....huh.

Ppl still buying physical on the damn PS4 and XBO and not on Series consoles is....wild.
Exactly! Super wild.
It would make sense if most Series models were the S no?
What's with percentage splits? Since when do those get reported?
A new thing that Nintendo Life has started doing (hopefully it continues!)
Am I high or does this not make sense?
You're right, it's poorly written.

onQ123

PS4 going crazy in it's 10th yeah is crazy but also NBA2K24 selling more on Switch is wild

MK11 with 99% sold on Playstation is NUTS!
I was trying to think of a nice way to say that fighting games might as well be PlayStation console exclusives nowadays

onQ123

Pretty damning stats for xbox. It’s no wonder Sony is more easily able to get third party exclusivity deals looking at that, any publisher would be out of their mind to sacrifice 80-90% of their sales unless crazy amounts of cash were dumped in their lap.
Are you insinuating that someone spent a lot of money to keep up with the Joneses in Indiana?

Last edited:

nowhat

So according to my expert detective skills, MS probably coughed up a fuckton of cash to Lucasfilm for exclusive Indy?

The Witcher 3 has PC sales with 92% split though
Maybe it went on a deep discount? I've seen the Dead Space physical release for PC on a deeper discount than console €20 vs €30-35. Regardless, that was not the point I was trying to make. People were taking that data out of context and the thread title was updated by the mods at my request to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Maybe it went on a deep discount? I've seen the Dead Space physical release for PC on a deeper discount than console €20 vs €30-35. Regardless, that was not the point I was trying to make. People were taking that data out of context and the thread title was updated by the mods at my request to avoid confusion.
Yeah it's weird. I wouldn't think there would exist enough physical W3 PC copies to massively overtake console sales. Maybe it's a typo and threw in the digital sales for this game as well without noticing

Last edited:

jm89

Physical + Digital splits would be nice.

Gbiz use to supply them monthly and even sometimes at the end of the week for some big releases. But they stopped giving out Physical + Digital splits entirely for whatever reason.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Are you insinuating that someone spent a lot of money to keep up with the Joneses in Indiana?
No, but yes they would have had to pay a shit ton, game will be “free on games pass” it’ll sell very few units, and will be missing out on the biggest platform by far. They’ll have had to negotiate covering those lost earnings. If for instance it was expected to cost 200mil in dev, but projected revenue of 800mil cross platform (plus the fact it’s Disney so the value is also brand extension/mindshare), microsoft won’t need to be just covering development cost, they’ll need to be covering the lost profits for what pre acquisition (when it was originally in negotiation) would have been multi platform.

Blade (assuming it’s not on PlayStation) will probably cost them less as they’ve not had to change the terms, that would have been negotiated with it already in mind…but still won’t have been cheap, particularly as they are trying to revitalise the blade franchise.

Microsoft have obviously decided it’s worth hedging their bets. I’d love to see one day just how much these deals are costing them, but we probably need an insomniac style hack to ever find out.

All that said, the current rumblings about 1st party xbox games going multiplatform could feed into this. Time will tell on that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Those splits do sound terrible for xbox.

But, if Gamepass isn't getting the uptake Microsoft hoped for and the digital only Series S is the most popular of Microsoft's consoles, would it make sense to guess that most of Microsoft's game sales are digital, and therefore not reflected in this boxed game chart?

Edit: Anecdotally - I've got a series X and I think I've only bought one physical game for it since owning it.

I suppose it might be a reach, but given that physical is cheaper and easier to sell on, it's likely the choice of the more price sensitive consumer, but the cheaper of Microsoft's consoles is digital only. So consumers that are more likely to buy the Series S than Series X based on price are perhaps likely to have been the people more likely to buy physical, but they're now buying digital.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Why do people think MS just outright bought Bethesda and ABK?

It's much much cheaper for them in the long run if they want games on GamePass. Especially if they do want to go 3rd party.
The fees MS would otherwise have to pay to cover the loss in revenue on Playstation would be insane.

jroc74

It would make sense if most Series models were the S no?
Yeah, that's right.

Its making more sense now.

Most ppl with a Series console have the S, MS is doing basically fire sales on both the S and XSX. They would discontinue the XSX before the S.

MS painted themselves into one hell of a corner this gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom