• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Current Gen finally getting some fighting games I wonder if the standard dpad still has an influence on where people play?

cireza

You can enjoy a fighting game casually with the standard controller. People buying sticks that cost several hundreds of dollars are a minority.

I think both PS and Xbox have good dpads, Switch definitely not.

Last edited:

beck_

Ive always played streetfighter type games on controller, you can do very well although my execution doesn't always come out, so maybe stick would help with that.

However SF6 is bringing modern controls, which takes away the execution problem (at least with motions). So this could level the playing field for controller players especially. You can focus more on reacting etc rather then executing motions.

kunonabi

Doesn't matter so much with fighters since I use arcade sticks but the Switch's lack of dpad makes playing retro games on the switch a miserable experience.

onQ123

I won't play any fighting games on anything but a PS5 or PC. I have no desire to get an arcade stick, and I don't like the d pads on the Xbox controllers or the Switch pro controller.
To be fair, fighters aren't really my bag anymore. But I do play occasionally.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I don't think so. Playstation is the defacto fighting game console. If you have a PS and an Xbox and interested in fighting games, chances are you're going with Playstation. There isn't a single fighting game that boasts crazy concurrent player counts after release window. So without Xbox/PS crossplay, it really does matter which console you choose. The available player pool for any given fighting game is already small, so going with Playstation is always a safer bet.

I think the d-pad is a secondary or even tertiary consideration for most that have access to both. I personally do not like either d-pad from Playstation or Xbox for fighting games, but I play stick or hitbox, so it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Ive always played streetfighter type games on controller, you can do very well although my execution doesn't always come out, so maybe stick would help with that.

However SF6 is bringing modern controls, which takes away the execution problem (at least with motions). So this could level the playing field for controller players especially. You can focus more on reacting etc rather then executing motions.
What are these "modern controls" you speak of and how do they take away the execution "problem", did they decide that even hadouken and shoryuken is too much difficulty for todays kids?

Part of the reason I enjoy fighters is because you have to learn the special moves and it becomes rewarding after you couldn't do them before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom