• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Week 3, 2024 (Jan 14 - Jan 20)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why did they made an exception by selling Part 2 50€ instead of 80€ like Part 1 in Europe? Isn't the first time Sony sell a new game this low in this gen? Were they afraid the game would bomb at 80€?

Anyways Part 2 did chart well notably thanks to the lowered price. Coincidentally The price Nintendo sell most of their remastered games. Yep there is a crisis in Europe (thanks to US crazy politics) and most people can't afford to buy an old game 80€.
Part 1 is a full remake with a bigger budget, Part II remaster was not. The PS4 version never dropped below 39.99 officially (Not including discounts). So you get the 49.99 with the 10 dollar upgrade.

Kerotan

Why did they made an exception by selling Part 2 50€ instead of 80€ like Part 1 in Europe? Isn't the first time Sony sell a new game this low in this gen? Were they afraid the game would bomb at 80€?

Anyways Part 2 did chart well notably thanks to the lowered price. Coincidentally The price Nintendo sell most of their remastered games. Yep there is a crisis in Europe (thanks to US crazy politics) and most people can't afford to buy an old game 80€.
It's a remaster not a remake. Remaking TLOU1 would have taken a lot more effort and money to make.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes, I know. But Prince of Persia is a side scrolling platformer from a franchise that hasn't been big in a LONG time. It's priced accordingly. This is a remaster of of a game in a franchise that some would say is at its heights thanks to the HBO show.

It's telling that Sony priced this at $50, as well, when the GOT remaster launched at $70 and debuted at number one.

That's because Director's Cut version was released a year later and included story and online DLC.

PS4 > PS4 Director's Cut - $19.99
PS4 Director's Cut > PS5 Director's Cut > $9.99
PS4 > PS5 Director's Cut $29.99

Ghost of Tsushima also didn't put up big numbers in Europe.

Three

Nope.
So I just looked it up to see how you actually play it without kinect or a cam. since the xbox Series doesn't have any gyros or accelerometers in the controller and kinect doesn't work on it I was curious how that's even possible. Apparently the only way is to download an app on your phone and swing it about in your hand when dancing? 😬

It's weird that on Xbox it's Series only, they didn't do an Xbox one version this year. AND it outsold the PS5 version which has camera support and gyro/accelerometer. Kind of impressive it sold better there.

Ideally MS should have made a kinect adaptor for these type of games and Ubi ought to support PSVR2 controllers too but I guess the market is too small and the game has gone downhill in terms of precision/support.

demigod

Can’t remember when I last played Just Dance, probably 2020. It’s not worth it. The songs are hidden behind a subscription service. Can’t even remember why I was forced to use their shitty app either.

onQ123

So I just looked it up to see how you actually play it without kinect or a cam. since the xbox Series doesn't have any gyros or accelerometers in the controller and kinect doesn't work on it I was curious how that's even possible. Apparently the only way is to download an app on your phone and swing it about in your hand when dancing? 😬

It's weird that on Xbox it's Series only, they didn't do an Xbox one version this year. AND it outsold the PS5 version which has camera support and gyro/accelerometer. Kind of impressive it sold better there.

Ideally MS should have made a kinect adaptor for these type of games and Ubi ought to support PSVR2 controllers too but I guess the market is too small and the game has gone downhill in terms of precision/support.
Xbox created a fan base for Dance games when they had Kinect

Topher

Gold Member
Weird seeing Xbox One owners buying more copies of Hogwarts than Xbox Series

zuzOHMH.png

Three

It doesn't work with camera on PS5 either?

(This is kind of stopping me from buying it to my wife)
Looks like it. Means you can stand perfectly still and just wave your phone about when it asks you to do some leg movement or move your hips. Your other hand is completely ignored too. I never though I'd say this about kinect and camera motion controls but

Last edited:

Roberts

zuzOHMH.png
I would say it is because XO version came out a lot later. Also, and this is purely anecdotal, most of my friends who still play on XO are usually casuals who don't really buy digital. They go to a store twice a year and get a game or two that people are talking about. On the other hand, all of my XS friends have stopped buying physical a long time ago.

Mr Moose

I would say it is because XO version came out a lot later. Also, and this is purely anecdotal, most of my friends who still play on XO are usually casuals who don't really buy digital. They go to a store twice a year and get a game or two that people are talking about. On the other hand, all of my XS friends have stopped buying physical a long time ago.
Why is PS5 first then?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Being 3rd in January were very little is releasing for one week isn’t much of a accomplishment…
So tell us, what would have made it an accomplishment in January when not up against FIFA and something like Hogwarts? What should a Remaster (physical copies only) sell to satisfy your needs?

Oh so this is the new Xbox talking point about TLOU2? Wow, you guys are fast. Don't spend that MS money too fast.
I don't like Xbox.
It has a £10 digital upgrade, the game released 3+ years ago.
And GOT had an upgrade path, as well. And was a brand new IP. Not a sequel to the most popular 1st party game on the PS3, save GT. Nor did it have a successful HBO show based on it.

Last edited:

Roberts

Why is PS5 first then?
I can only speculate, but maybe it is because it is more popular and a lot of kids this xmas got Ps5 as their first console and they wanted a HP game so their parents went to a store. A lot of my friends have kids and obviously all of them want a switch or ps5 because that is what they talk about in school. Xbox is for losers, I keep hearing.

demigod

I can only speculate, but maybe it is because it is more popular and a lot of kids this xmas got Ps5 as their first console and they wanted a HP game so their parents went to a store. A lot of my friends have kids and obviously all of them want a switch or ps5 because that is what they talk about in school. Xbox is for losers, I keep hearing.
UK or USA?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't like Xbox.

And GOT had an upgrade path, as well. And was a brand new IP. Not a sequel to the most popular 1st party game on the PS3, save GT. Nor did it have a successful HBO show based on it.
We know. This game is too ‘woke’ for you, hence the hate on it and Spider-Man despite being a PlayStation fan. Your rep follows you across websites. :p

Anyway, what it boils down to is this is a remaster of the sequel that already sold gang busters and has been on the market 4 years. Tsushima is in a different boat.

Last edited:
Just a reminder why these numbers don't mean much these days... 🥸

Uhm.. I think you missed last week's UK Boxed Charts Sales thread when that report was brought up by another GAFer: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/uk-boxed-charts-week-2-2024-jan-07-jan-13.1665949/post-268810584

I really feel like people like to downplay physical game sales just because they're too lazy to do 1 minute of research.

We also saw that the transition from physical media to digital downloads slowed considerably in the UK last year. If we look purely at the games that were released both digitally and physically (so discounting all physical-only and digital-only games), 66% of games sold in the UK last year were downloaded. In 2021, the figure was 65%. This follows significant growth for digital downloading during the COVID-19 lockdown years of 2020 and 2021.

image.png

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Uhm.. I think you missed last week's UK Boxed Charts Sales thread when that report was brought up by another GAFer: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/uk-boxed-charts-week-2-2024-jan-07-jan-13.1665949/post-268810584

I really feel like people like to downplay physical game sales just because they're too lazy to do 1 minute of research.

image.png
It's slowed but us still the majority and growing. Point still stays. Only boxed game sales isn't even half the picture.

Last edited:
It's slowed but us still the majority and growing. Point still stays. Only boxed game sales isn't even half the picture.
As you've seen from the linked report, physical sales in the UK still account for a significant portion of the games that receive both digital and retail releases, so naturally, they are of interest.

Regardless of personal opinions, these weekly UK boxed charts will continue to be shared here on GAF (if not by me then by someone else), as it provides content that people enjoy discussing.

If you don't like this type of content then please feel free to ignore the thread (there's even a button on the forum for that). 🤷

Last edited:

Rockman33

So tell us, what would have made it an accomplishment in January when not up against FIFA and something like Hogwarts? What should a Remaster (physical copies only) sell to satisfy your needs?
Satisfy my needs? lol.

Would really need to see the actual sales numbers. But considering number 1&2 are both older I’m guessing they were pretty low. I’d think with the given factors it would need to be #1

TheTony316

Because Part 1 is a remake. Part 2 is a remaster.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Satisfy my needs? lol.

Would really need to see the actual sales numbers. But considering number 1&2 are both older I’m guessing they were pretty low. I’d think with the given factors it would need to be #1
#1 & 2 are games that have sold, and continue to sell, a lot. There's nothing wrong with coming up right behind them.

clarky

Gold Member

image.png
Hey i've been quoted from a thread within a thread, to prove a point about some thread. Then I quoted it. 5th wall shit right here ladies and gents.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with it. But it’s not impressive.
It's a Remaster. It doesn't have to light up the charts.

This is also one region, physical sales, in a quiet period of the year with an easy $10 upgrade option. And still sold just behind top selling games. I'm not sure what you expected.

Last edited:

onQ123

zuzOHMH.png
Not really surprising when you think about it .

This is boxed sales so only Series X owners would be buying the physical copies, add that to the fact that it was released later on Xbox One & PS4

Topher

Gold Member

This is boxed sales so only Series X owners would be buying the physical copies, add that to the fact that it was released later on Xbox One & PS4

Yeah, I get it, but still.....just doesn't look right.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

If you don't include mobile game sales it's basically half the picture though. So what are you really trying to say?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It also shows how few people even have an Xbox Series X console specifically, in the UK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom