• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Week 2, 2024 (Jan 07 - Jan 13)

clarky

Gold Member
I don't think mobile downloads are included in that calculation.

Retail is still very important for games that have retail releases, but its also true that many PC and indie games are digital-only, which obviously impacts the digital ratio.
They must be, or the PC market is magnitudes bigger than anyone thought.

Otherwise how do you explain going from 9/10 games being digital to a 60/40 split?

Go_Ly_Dow

Any UK GAF members used Music Magpie before for selling/buying physical games or other stuff?

I discovered it recently but haven't used it yet. The Trustpilot score is high.

Last edited:

MrTired

People still buy physical games online.

I was being facetious. The high street isn't the only place people can purchase physical games. Its likely that if there were data available most new physical games are purchased via online retailers.

There is only one console platform where physical games are dying (and it's not just physical game sales that are dying there either).

Yep, and that includes digital. But some people don't want to face reality unfortunately. This should come as no surprise to anyone that's been paying attention, it's actually all by design on the Xbox platform, what they didn't expect however is that it would result in only them being screwed.

I really do think the bolded is true. They thought that Gamepass would disrupt the industry, it still may however what can be disputed is that it's disrupted there own ecosystem. To the point where there looking at other platforms for the ROI.

Woopah

They must be, or the PC market is magnitudes bigger than anyone thought.

Otherwise how do you explain going from 9/10 games being digital to a 60/40 split?
So I looked deeper into that claim about 9/10 and Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives was right, that is including mobile:

"The digital entertainment and retail association (ERA) said 89.5% of games sold had been digital downloads and the remaining 10.5% actual physical copies.

About 30% of the sales came from mobile apps, which are sold digitally."

Last edited:

GHG

Explain to me the issue of a console needing to go online to check if a game is real or not in the modern era . And before you hit back what if the internet goes down, well if the internet goes down you can't buy games either, but we all have smartphones right?

Pathetic point scoring aside I'm sure most people have all their election devices hooked to their Wi-Fi 24 hours a day 7 days a week, even the brave eco-warriors of this world, will have their modems on 24 hours a day 7 days a week for yet more added Irony :p

Still not the same thing. Not sure why you're here making a false equivalence with (and the defending/advocating for) one of the worst forms of DRM that there is.

In the case of single player games, most people would like to be able to game without worrying about how their Internet connection will effect it (both now and in the future).

Still not the same thing. Not sure why you're here making a false equivalence with (and the defending/advocating for) one of the worst forms of DRM that there is.

In the case of single player games, most people would like to be able to game without worrying about how their Internet connection will effect it (both now and in the future).

Games more and more even single-player games require you to log into a server to play them physical or not.

I mean sure online multiplayer game servers shut down but I don't understand why you're conflating that with other single player games and an entire console requiring an online connection to function. These are not the same thing and neither is online shopping. It would be like saying you bought your microwave oven online so why complain if it requires an online connection to function?
But it's not just multiplayer games. There are single player games out there that need the player to log into a server to play. Going forward more and more will do the same or require you to log into a game launcher from the likes of Bethesda or Rockstar Ect even on consoles.
One had to log in to play Doom Enteral

Three

But it's not just multiplayer games. There are single player games out there that need the player to log into a server to play. Going forward more and more will do the same or require you to log into a game launcher from the likes of Bethesda or Rockstar Ect even on consoles.
One had to log in to play Doom Enteral
Then people that may have been interested can complain about those specific titles too if that was the main reason they wanted it in physical format. Still doesn't justify "you order your games from amazon so shouldn't complain about games not functioning offline".
Any UK GAF members used Music Magpie before for selling/buying physical games or other stuff?

I discovered it recently but haven't used it yet. The Trustpilot score is high.
I haven't used them but they're legit. They've been around for years and years and even had adverts on UK tv and radio.

Go_Ly_Dow

Then people that may have been interested can complain about those specific titles too if that was the main reason they wanted it in physical format. Still doesn't justify "you order your games from amazon so shouldn't complain about games not functioning offline".

I haven't used them but they're legit. They've been around for years and years and even had adverts on UK tv and radio.
Nice it's good to know there's an alternative. They seem to have some really cheap used games son their site.

Last edited:

demigod

Glad that people on GAF are still sensible and can see reason when provided with hard data.

People should consider taking those hyperbolic reports about physical games being dead with a grain on salt since like we've seen here the data is being presented in a somewhat misleading way by piling up mobile which is 100% digital together with PC and console sales.
I’m surprised the one who likes phil’s balls hasn’t came in here to claim you’re wrong about physical sales.

You can complain all you like, but if a company shutdown a server it is game over for the game no matter if you own it physically

Three

You can complain all you like, but if a company shutdown a server it is game over for the game no matter if you own it physically
You can complain and not buy that particular game. The problem is that you're trying to brush away any benefit from physical that somebody might prefer or want. For what? simply because they might have done online shopping? or you think they should be defeatist and pretend all games require an online connection anyway when they don't?

You can complain and not buy that particular game. The problem is that you're trying to brush away any benefit from physical that somebody might prefer or want. For what? simply because they might have done online shopping? or you think they should be defeatist and pretend all games require an online connection anyway when they don't?
Half the the time the casuals don't even realize it. I bet many who bought the likes of GT Sport didn't stop to think SONY could kill the game by shutting down the server when buying the physical disc based version

Everything is going more and more online and needing the internet to fully work and deep down most know the days of physical games are numbered, like most highstreet shops.

Top Bottom