• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1, 2, Switch to feature at least 20 minigames

Alphahawk

Again, I don't think a lot of you are understanding who this game is targeting. This game is not Wii Sports, where you get it and play with your family whenever you want. This game is made for people who hosts large get togethers like block parties or cookouts and for people who frequent them. You pay $60 bucks up front, and you have an instant party starter. It's like Rockband, kinda in that way.

halfbeast

Banned
It appears to be at least 24. I wrote a post about this on the NintendoSwitch subreddit, but there's 8 known games as you see here:

e060b594e7.png

And then there's another 16 games that are different as seen here:

8db7e01e32.png

I want to know what the final number is.

please tell me those shitty stockimages aren't part of the game?

guek

Banned
Again, I don't think a lot of you are understanding who this game is targeting. This game is not Wii Sports, where you get it and play with your family whenever you want. This game is made for people who hosts large get togethers like block parties or cookouts and for people who frequent them. You pay $60 bucks up front, and you have an instant party starter. It's like Rockband, kinda in that way.

Yeah. I'm starting to wonder if that's what's going to happen.

But it would have to be really fun at parties.

Totakeke

The closest game I can think of is Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party on Wii U. It was a great party game because it made you do all kinds of silly stuff. This one doesn't really ask you to do anything interesting other than experience the tech.

Schnozberry

The closest game I can think of is Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party on Wii U. It was a great party game because it made you do all kinds of silly stuff. This one doesn't really ask you to do anything interesting other than experience the tech.

I don't know, a lot of these seem set up pretty well to become drinking games. Think Beer Pong except your whole house doesn't have to smell like a shitty college bar the next day.

FuturusX

Yeah. I'm starting to wonder if that's what's going to happen.

But it would have to be really fun at parties.

I get that it's a party game experience...and that will be the core audience...But how fun is milking the cow and and invisible table tennis after a few tries?

Even for casual players this thing feels thin....I hope I'm wrong though. I love out of the box ideas.

random25

People pay to experience the tech, like going for iMax instead of a regular cinema. While I don't see its overall mass appeal, its competitive aspect plus its quirks have some value in certain sections of entertainment.

Future

People pay to experience the tech, like going for iMax instead of a regular cinema. While I don't see its overall mass appeal, its competitive aspect plus its quirks have some value in certain sections of entertainment.

Wii sports had the tech and the inkling of depth to make you want your own copy. Really doubt this one will have the same draw.... but who knows. I'm out of college and a grown ass adult so I have no idea what the kids are doing.

The game isn't the problem. It's the $60. And the fact shit like this is making the joy cons more expensive. We will see how it goes. I'm gonna read some of those impressions

Totakeke

Wii sports had the tech and the inkling of depth to make you want your own copy. Really doubt this one will have the same draw.... but who knows. I'm out of college and a grown ass adult so I have no idea what the kids are doing.

The game isn't the problem. It's the $60. And the fact shit like this is making the joy cons more expensive. We will see how it goes. I'm gonna read some of those impressions

It's not $60.

random25

This game caters to a different audience as compared to what the Wii Sports caters to. The Wii Sports is sort of a means to introduce someone who does not play video games to video games. It plays like what we normally associate to video games, but controls differently via motion controls so that the barrier or entry for casuals is very low and they can enjoy these games without being good at button presses. And this is also why Wii Sports can be played solo.

1, 2, Switch on the other hand is not something that introduces anybody to video games. It's a video game hidden behind a physical party game. You go face to face with your competitor and does not require any visual cues from looking at a TV screen. Every action is made through moving and pressing the Joycons and the reaction of the game comes from the Joycons too via the HD rumble. This game sort of an alternative to icebreakers or parlor games rather than a video game, because all 1,2, Switch does is analyze the action happening in the Joycons, sends a feedback to the player and display/announce the results. There's no element on the screen that you control or play as, like how we view video games traditionally.

As for the price (I believe it's $50, not $60), while I think it's pricey too, value proposition is very subjective and vary from people to people.

Rambone

Personally I do not see the appeal of this game. I think I would be amused watching a few youtube videos of people playing this vs paying for and experiencing it myself.

zoukka

From the groundbreaking Wii Sports - to mildly entertaining Nintendoland - to 1 2 Switch that nobody's excited about and costs 50 bucks/euros.

Fuck.

So... this is like PSVR Worlds in that it should be a pack-in but isn't? Little tech demos to show off the thing and maybe 30 minutes total of redeeming content? I need to know is this is an accurate comparison of corporate jackassery.

Future

Struggling to find any positive impressions of this really beyond ign. Consensus seems to be that it's an interesting tech demo distraction.

Maengun1

So... this is like PSVR Worlds in that it should be a pack-in but isn't? Little tech demos to show off the thing and maybe 30 minutes total of redeeming content? I need to know is this is an accurate comparison of corporate jackassery.

We don't know the full details yet, but this should DEFINITELY be a pack-in regardless IMO. This not being included with the console and the paid online were the only 2 things that actually pissed me off about the conference. Wii Sports and NintendoLand were both included with the console and they were way more of a full videogame than this is (again, from what we know so far, I mean you don't even look at the screen ffs).

That said if this turns out to be fun I'll probably get it with the amazon prime discount for $40 lol. Nintendo always has me by the balls

Shaanyboi

Banned
If this is meant to have the same appeal of Jackbox or something, those games are half the price, have tons of replayablily, and allow a bunch more players.

This absolutely should have been a pack-in at that $300 pricepoint...

I will gladly pick this up when I find it on clearance for $10

Dominator

I just don't see how this thing is viable for parties. Is everyone at the party just going to go completely silent and watch people play this game? The game heavily relies on sound, so a party setting is not good for it.

I laughed during the trailer when it showed people at some kind of party playing this. Not a prayer they could hear it off the tablet.

Neiteio

A graphics-free minigame collection based pretty much entirely around motion controls and HD Rumble sounds interesting, especially since there are so many games. I just wish this included Snipperclips and the whole lot were included with the system for free!

duckroll

I just don't see how this thing is viable for parties. Is everyone at the party just going to go completely silent and watch people play this game? The game heavily relies on sound, so a party setting is not good for it.

I laughed during the trailer when it showed people at some kind of party playing this. Not a prayer they could hear it off the tablet.

Actually I think this is great for parties. It doesn't really rely on sound at all. For the players involved, the gameplay relies the most on the haptic feedback from the joycons. For the illusion of the thing, I think people are going to be making the sounds themselves. Like "BANG!" when they draw, sick milk sounds, etc.

This is very much a party game for young adults who are just hanging out and don't really want to play serious games. It's a distraction, not the main attraction. The main attraction is the company, the minigames are just an outlet.

The problem with this being a 50 buck product though, is that for someone considering picking this up for that purpose, it's a 350 buck investment, not a 300 buck investment. For someone who is interested in getting more games, it just adds up. As a pack-in, it would have made the Switch itself a more attractive pick up since for 300 you can get the device for what you want it for, and you MIGHT buy other games too.

Neiteio

Yeah, it would've been perfect for 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips to be included on the system, similar to how the 3DS had AR Games and Face Raiders built in. That way, if someone has fun with them at a party, getting their own setup is as simple as buying a Switch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo should read the feedbacks and offer it as a free download for early adopters. Don't send the game to channels yet.

Could they do such a thing, or is it too late?

I think this game likely started development intended to be a pack-in, but then quickly expanded up to 20+ minigames at which point Nintendo thought there was too much content to give away for free. IMO if this is the case 1-2 Switch would have been a great option to follow the freemium model with a demo with only a few of the games then a cheap option to buy the rest as DLC. This would also have allowed them to add more variety later on.

I get that it's a party game experience...and that will be the core audience...But how fun is milking the cow and and invisible table tennis after a few tries?

Even for casual players this thing feels thin....I hope I'm wrong though. I love out of the box ideas.
How is beer pong still a thing? People will do anything when drinks are involved. Especially competitively.

Nintendo should read the feedbacks and offer it as a free download for early adopters. Don't send the game to channels yet.

Could they do such a thing, or is it too late?
So instead of making maybe a tiny bit of money, they'll make nothing and even possibly delay packaging and shipments. Cool. Should work perfectly

tmespe

Seems to me 12 switch is more a marketing push than anything else. It will look fun and casual when showed off on TV and commercials, and will help spread switch to a larger audience. It completely should have been a pack in, and probably will be after the early adopters have bought their switch.

El Odio

Banned
I still have no real interest in this at all but is there any concrete info on how game set up is? Is it just pick and chose a game until you get bored or is there something akin to Nintendolands attraction tour as well. Having a mode like that could help sell that party game angle. Me and my friends still love booting up Nintendoland for that reason.

to be honest PSVR Worlds is probably the best game on PSVR right now. 1,2 Switch does not look like it will be anything near the best game on Switch.

From the groundbreaking Wii Sports - to mildly entertaining Nintendoland - to 1 2 Switch that nobody's excited about and costs 50 bucks/euros.

Fuck.

we dont know what the full retail game is like yet

Yukinari

Yeah, it would've been perfect for 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips to be included on the system, similar to how the 3DS had AR Games and Face Raiders built in. That way, if someone has fun with them at a party, getting their own setup is as simple as buying a Switch.

Snipperclips is 20 bucks and is an actual video game that would probably be more fun with friends after what ive seen of it.

1 2 Switch looks like it exists as a tech demo for the joycon.

Dominator

Actually I think this is great for parties. It doesn't really rely on sound at all. For the players involved, the gameplay relies the most on the haptic feedback from the joycons. For the illusion of the thing, I think people are going to be making the sounds themselves. Like "BANG!" when they draw, sick milk sounds, etc.

This is very much a party game for young adults who are just hanging out and don't really want to play serious games. It's a distraction, not the main attraction. The main attraction is the company, the minigames are just an outlet.

The problem with this being a 50 buck product though, is that for someone considering picking this up for that purpose, it's a 350 buck investment, not a 300 buck investment. For someone who is interested in getting more games, it just adds up. As a pack-in, it would have made the Switch itself a more attractive pick up since for 300 you can get the device for what you want it for, and you MIGHT buy other games too.
How would you know when to draw for the shoot out? From what I've seen, someone is talking in the game and tells you when. Maybe the joycon rumbles but I'm not sure. And ping pong definitely needs the sound, you listen to all of the hits.

Most of the games probably don't need the sound though, you're probably right. Price too, its way too much and should have been the pack-in.

60€ to count ice cubes on a party?

I have a better idea. For that money I'd buy a shaker, a good Gin, some lemons, Soda water, sugar syrup, actual ice cubes to make some nice Tom Cullins cocktails for everyone.

duckroll

How would you know when to draw for the shoot out? From what I've seen, someone is talking in the game and tells you when. Maybe the joycon rumbles but I'm not sure. And ping pong definitely needs the sound, you listen to all of the hits.

Most of the games probably don't need the sound though, you're probably right. Price too, its way too much and should have been the pack-in.

It's just a cue. I think you overestimate how serious people take these games. There's a cue, it doesn't matter if you draw exactly at the cue, only that you draw after it. People watching the game can also do the countdown. It's a total non issue.

Ping Pong might be harder but honestly I don't even understand how that game works. It's just... so abstract.

moozoom

No, they are actually in the game.

Yep, and I'm torn between finding it ugly and "so bad it's good". The extreme cheesiness of some of the images push it in a sort of contemporary kitsch territory...
The images are so plain that it helps focussing on the joycons instead of watching the TV screen, I guess.

I played some minigames at a Switch event : Ball Count, Samurai Training, Safe Crack, Milk, and Safe Crack.

Overall the rumble is interesting and very different from what we're used to - the ball counting minigame really shows the fine feedback you can experience. Safe Crack also uses the rumble and motion to let you feel little nudges, and it's quite subtle. Milk is pretty funny, at least for the obvious innuendo.

Copy Dance booth was devoid of queue because people didn't want to be ridiculous in front of strangers, but I could see it very funny with friends.

After trying it, I can see myself buying the game but it depends on the final number of activities. Most of these mini-games are 1-2 mn of play each so you need a good number of them, like in wario ware.

Hmmm. What if it's actually a fun at parties? IGN's podcast was surprisingly positive on that possibility.

After playing it, I can say that yes, this game is fun when played with a group. It's a chance to be silly with some interesting mechanics, and genuinely everyone I played with and the people who watched were all laughing, smiling and having fun!

The problem is that it is only a good game in those situations. Even playing with 2 people is a bit dull, you need that group atmosphere.

I'll probably pick this game up when the price comes down though.

This game caters to a different audience as compared to what the Wii Sports caters to. The Wii Sports is sort of a means to introduce someone who does not play video games to video games. It plays like what we normally associate to video games, but controls differently via motion controls so that the barrier or entry for casuals is very low and they can enjoy these games without being good at button presses. And this is also why Wii Sports can be played solo.

1, 2, Switch on the other hand is not something that introduces anybody to video games. It's a video game hidden behind a physical party game. You go face to face with your competitor and does not require any visual cues from looking at a TV screen. Every action is made through moving and pressing the Joycons and the reaction of the game comes from the Joycons too via the HD rumble. This game sort of an alternative to icebreakers or parlor games rather than a video game, because all 1,2, Switch does is analyze the action happening in the Joycons, sends a feedback to the player and display/announce the results. There's no element on the screen that you control or play as, like how we view video games traditionally.

As for the price (I believe it's $50, not $60), while I think it's pricey too, value proposition is very subjective and vary from people to people.

I think it caters the same audience, people who don't play videogames, but the way it does it and the purpose are different between the two games.

As you said, Wii Sport was trying to convert them into more traditional players, while 1-2-Switch is just a party game.

Regarding two of the more common complains, you are failing to see you are not the target audience:

- This game should not look like a Wario Ware. I would alienate non-gamers, it would make it less accessible to a wider group of potential players.

- This should not be a pack-in. From a marketing perspective, it would be sending the wrong message to potential buyers: Nintendo doesn't want people to think this is a party/casual gaming console. Additionaly, I don't think the purpose is to demonstrate the capabilities of the Joy-Con to the experienced player. There's no point in doing that.

In other words, 1-2-Switch is not for you, and that's why it's not packed in and why it doesn't look like Wario.

Top Bottom