• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nate the Hate: The Switch 2 will be revealed in March

Draugoth

Gold Member
KNKOABF5HZGQ3OTCBVVNG7LLJY.png

He said this on the Game and Talk podcast here:

"Nintendo WILL announce the Switch 2 in March. Everything I'm hearing dating back to Gamescom last year has indicated something was happening in March. That talk has resurfaced in the past few weeks, and it is indicating that the Switch 2 is set for a reveal or an announcement in March."

He also mentions his Partner Direct talk as "informed speculation" as well as the idea of no Joy-Cons again. That said, Nate doesn't know what form the reveal will take.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Seems like the right time. My only concern is they can’t leave behind 135 million Switch owners its too big of a market.

I just hope that their titles aren’t held back on switch to because of the switch one.

splattered

KNKOABF5HZGQ3OTCBVVNG7LLJY.png

He said this on the Game and Talk podcast here:

He also mentions his Partner Direct talk as "informed speculation" as well as the idea of no Joy-Cons again. That said, Nate doesn't know what form the reveal will take.
Thats an interesting render... looking at it on my phone is it like a giant hinged 3ds?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We really need to all get on the same page with terminology, announcing and revealing aren't the same thing, and you can announce various aspects of the same platform. Look back at the history of the Switch:

April 2016: (accurate) release month announced to investors
June 2016: announced that BotW will be cross-platform on the "NX"
October 2016: fully revealed to public
March 2017: launch

Obviously that doesn't need to track 1:1 with the Switch 2, but the world is already well aware of what's coming at this point, just not the specifics. The key point is that Nintendo absolutely did not want to spill all the beans too early and give competitors a leg-up.

Portugeezer

We really need to all get on the same page with terminology, announcing and revealing aren't the same thing, and you can announce various aspects of the same platform. Look back at the history of the Switch:

April 2016: (accurate) release month announced to investors
June 2016: announced that BotW will be cross-platform on the "NX"
October 2016: fully revealed to public
March 2017: launch

Obviously that doesn't need to track 1:1 with the Switch 2, but the world is already well aware of what's coming at this point, just not the specifics. The key point is that Nintendo absolutely did not want to spill all the beans too early and give competitors a leg-up.
If it's coming this year, it'll be shown.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
If a reveal is in March, I assume a release is in June-July, maybe when kids are out of school?

Astral Dog

Seems like the right time. My only concern is they can’t leave behind 135 million Switch owners its too big of a market.

I just hope that their titles aren’t held back on switch to because of the switch one.
Some of them undoubtly will be cross gen, like any other recent platform

At least the differences should be bigger than say, Wii U to Switch ports

Last edited:

SCB3

They will probably have a few ports and cross platform games for the first year or 2, I can see a new version of TotK for example, Prime 4 on both with Exclusive stuff on the new hardware and so forth

I'm all in on it being Holiday this year, I said that after the Summer Direct last year we're a year and half away, the game releases are slowing down and the Directs are ones to watch now

Interestingly enough, we could start seeing stuff for this rumored Direct next week AND pokemon day is the end of Feb as well, but I see Pokemon having 1 last release on Switch, be it a Remake or a Let's Go sequel

Woopah

I imagine Nate's developer contacts have been told that trailers and demos need to be ready by March.

New Mario Kart will be a launch title, Prime 4 shortly after

IMO
I think the opposite, Prime 4 would benefit a lot more from launch hype than Mario Kart.
If a reveal is in March, I assume a release is in June-July, maybe when kids are out of school?
I would say September at the earliest.

Chastten

Banned
I can believe that. Reveal in March, launch in September.

This is just my personal opinion, but Nintendo just can't afford to wait any longer than that. They've always missed out on all the big Western third party games, and a new Switch won't fix that, but this week, for the first time in forever, they also missed two big Japanese third party games that could've and should've release on a Nintendo console. Granblue Fantasy Relink and Persona 3 Reload are two games I feel would've done really well with the Nintendo audience and the Switch just isn't getting them. And that situation will only get worse, from here on out. I know Visions of Mana is skipping the Switch and there's probably more.

If Nintendo wants to avoid a Wii --> Wii U situation, they'll need to release the new hardware this year.

Skeptical

Neo Member
Well, if he's right about the traditional February Direct being a partner direct, this makes sense. Nintendo as a publisher have managed to maintain a steady output of games over the past 7 years. And it is highly speculated if not known that they have sat on games for a while before release as well. So for the release schedule to suddenly dry up (only Luigi and Paper Mario planned for the April-Sept timeframe) suggests either things came crashing down or the new console is coming sooner than one might think.

While September seems like the earliest it could conceivably arrive, I don't think Nintendo needs a huge window between announcement and release. The initial announcement of NX came early because the WiiU was such a failure; that obviously is no longer needed. But the October 2016 reveal trailer needed to be early to get people to adjust to the concept of the Switch. If the form is largely the same, do we need that time for the Switch 2? And the Jan 2017 presentation, which was the blowout that revealed key details including the price, came less than 2 months before release. So while I highly doubt it is the case, the system could still conceivably arrive in June.

If not March for announcement, it has to come soon. No way is Nintendo HAS to take the Switch 2 into account for their next fiscal forecast. Also, as an aside, IF the Switch 2 is as powerful as some hope and (combined with the fact that games tend to be more scalable these days) therefore that more third party parity is expected for the Switch 2, it would be in Nintendo's best interest to allow 3rd parties to start marketing Switch 2 versions sooner rather than later, and therefore in their interest to end the secrecy before Summer Game Fest. Is Square making a Switch 2 version of Visions of Mana? Is Capcom bringing Monster Hunter Wilds over? Who knows? But every day that goes by without an announcement of it is another day where potential customers are lost.

Gambit2483

Well, if he's right about the traditional February Direct being a partner direct, this makes sense. Nintendo as a publisher have managed to maintain a steady output of games over the past 7 years. And it is highly speculated if not known that they have sat on games for a while before release as well. So for the release schedule to suddenly dry up (only Luigi and Paper Mario planned for the April-Sept timeframe) suggests either things came crashing down or the new console is coming sooner than one might think.

While September seems like the earliest it could conceivably arrive, I don't think Nintendo needs a huge window between announcement and release. The initial announcement of NX came early because the WiiU was such a failure; that obviously is no longer needed. But the October 2016 reveal trailer needed to be early to get people to adjust to the concept of the Switch. If the form is largely the same, do we need that time for the Switch 2? And the Jan 2017 presentation, which was the blowout that revealed key details including the price, came less than 2 months before release. So while I highly doubt it is the case, the system could still conceivably arrive in June.

If not March for announcement, it has to come soon. No way is Nintendo HAS to take the Switch 2 into account for their next fiscal forecast. Also, as an aside, IF the Switch 2 is as powerful as some hope and (combined with the fact that games tend to be more scalable these days) therefore that more third party parity is expected for the Switch 2, it would be in Nintendo's best interest to allow 3rd parties to start marketing Switch 2 versions sooner rather than later, and therefore in their interest to end the secrecy before Summer Game Fest. Is Square making a Switch 2 version of Visions of Mana? Is Capcom bringing Monster Hunter Wilds over? Who knows? But every day that goes by without an announcement of it is another day where potential customers are lost.
I'd wager that Japanese developers cannot wait until Nintendo announces and releases Switch 2. As it is now they only have one console to depend on when releasing their newer games...e.g. ATLUS is currently getting the bulk of it's Persona 3 Reload sales from PS5, but they are clearly aware of the money that's being left on the table by not having this game on a Nintendo platform.

Xyphie

Nintendo could basically go "releasing next month, Switch 2" and be fine. That's not really possible though because things would start leaking from manufacturers, RF certification agencies etc ahead of launch and you really want to get out ahead on messaging.

Woopah

That'll mean 6 months of Switch dropping off, I doubt it. And honestly, selfishly I want it soon!!
PS5 was announced more than 6 months before release and PS4 did fine. I think yiu need at least 6 months to build anticipation.

Deerock71

You've lost count. Nintendo's over 140 million by now.
Breaking Bad Train GIF

Excited Donkey Kong GIF

I can believe that. Reveal in March, launch in September.

This is just my personal opinion, but Nintendo just can't afford to wait any longer than that. They've always missed out on all the big Western third party games, and a new Switch won't fix that, but this week, for the first time in forever, they also missed two big Japanese third party games that could've and should've release on a Nintendo console. Granblue Fantasy Relink and Persona 3 Reload are two games I feel would've done really well with the Nintendo audience and the Switch just isn't getting them. And that situation will only get worse, from here on out. I know Visions of Mana is skipping the Switch and there's probably more.

If Nintendo wants to avoid a Wii --> Wii U situation, they'll need to release the new hardware this year.

Very true, but I do think Persona 3 Reload and Visions of Mana are just waiting for the new hardware to be announced. Like, they will be in the reveal sizzle reel type of games.

Top Bottom