• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

mattp

ugh i cant stand the minimap + glowing dot style of game design
just add in an extra sentence of dialog explaining where we need to go, and ditch the fucking minimap

i plan on doing the whole game without that stupid star on

Well, I hit that sudden difficulty spike that JRPGs love to throw at you. Time for the grind. And I have this shit set to easy... :/

Dinosur

Speaking of the Wizard Companion, is there anyway to view recently acquired pages or do you just randomly have to flip around or scavenger hunt in the "view all pages" list?

Went home to grab shirts for the Dry Cleaner and noticed that the mail came early. A Gamefly copy of Ni No Kuni is in my hands, huzzah! Now I don't have break the deal on my Amazon copy and will patiently wait for my Wizard Edition to arrive!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Speaking of the Wizard Companion, is there anyway to view recently acquired pages or do you just randomly have to flip around or scavenger hunt in the "view all pages" list?

When they show you the thumbnail of the page you unlocked, you can read the page number in the lower right corner.

Other than remembering the page number, there is unfortunately no easy way to find new pages that I have found...

Andrew.

Banned
Went home to grab shirts for the Dry Cleaner and noticed that the mail came early. A Gamefly copy of Ni No Kuni is in my hands, huzzah! Now I don't have break the deal on my Amazon copy and will patiently wait for my Wizard Edition to arrive!

Pop that shit in son and let me know if you got the Evermore/Podunk vibes from Motorville.

dan2026

I just tried the demo and the graphics are really blurry and low res.

As in all the text is blurry, Its really strange.

Looks kinda awful.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Looks kinda awful.

Unplug your PS3 from your old CRT and plug it into an HDTV.

Just kidding. That's weird. I've had no problems with the demo or the final release.

This has been a great experience so far, but for some reason I HATE MR.DRIPPY :( Oliver is the shiz tho!

tumblr_ma0bcqh0Rn1qa9kon.gif

ugh i cant stand the minimap + glowing dot style of game design
just add in an extra sentence of dialog explaining where we need to go, and ditch the fucking minimap

i plan on doing the whole game without that stupid star on

I think being able to turn it off is the best of both worlds.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Looks kinda awful.

I recently upgraded my old 720p tv to a new 1080p set.

In the video options on the PS3 I set it for "1080p". This was about four months ago. Since then I have played Tokyo Jungle and a few PSN games. The first retail game I have played is Ni No Kuni. It looked pretty blurry, but I chalked it up to the game rendering at sub-720p.

After playing for about five hours, I realized that the save screen UI was way bigger than it normally is. I hit the "info" button on my TV, and it said the resolution was really low.

I then thought "wait a minute... no, it can't be... but I'll see". I went back into the Playstation video options and checked "720p" as well as "1080p". I booted up the game, and my god. What a difference.

So, yeah. The Playstation will display 720p games at 480p if you don't have 720p checked in video options, even if you already have 1080p checked.

Brilliant move there, Sony.

(Tokyo Jungle looks a lot better too!)

dan2026

So, yeah. The Playstation will display 720p games at 480p if you don't have 720p checked in video options, even if you already have 1080p checked.

Just came to the same conclusion mere moments ago.
Had my PS3 set to 1080P.

A freaking moron coded this shite.

I recently upgraded my old 720p tv to a new 1080p set.

In the video options on the PS3 I set it for "1080p". This was about four months ago. Since then I have played Tokyo Jungle and a few PSN games. The first retail game I have played is Ni No Kuni. It looked pretty blurry, but I chalked it up to the game rendering at sub-720p.

After playing for about five hours, I realized that the save screen UI was way bigger than it normally is. I hit the "info" button on my TV, and it said the resolution was really low.

I then thought "wait a minute... no, it can't be... but I'll see". I went back into the Playstation video options and checked "720p" as well as "1080p". I booted up the game, and my god. What a difference.

I wonder if this might be happening with me. My game is pretty blurry.

Andrew.

Banned
How are you guys screwing something like that up? Always in the PS3 XMB display section you should have every resolution checked off. If your HDTV is at least semi decent, it will automatically display the highest resolution that the game can provide once you start playing. Now, certain games can be "upscaled" from 720P to 1080P if you solely just check off 1080P (even though you really can't notice much of a difference), but yeah if the game can't display 1080P/I, and that's all you have checked off, then it's automatically going to display it at 420P.

The coders aren't the morons. The morons are the ones that don't take the time to learn the basics of their game systems.

Pop that shit in son and let me know if you got the Evermore/Podunk vibes from Motorville.

Only had time to run around Motorville for a few minutes before returning to the office. I had hoped there'd be a save point easily accessible after the Milk Bar cut scene, but nope, not there.

And yes, definite Evermore/Podunk vibes from Motorville! Damn, going to be counting down the minutes until I can dig into the game tonight after my wife & baby are asleep.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How are you guys screwing something like that up? Always in the PS3 XMB display section you should have every resolution checked off. If your HDTV is at least semi decent, it will automatically display the highest resolution that the game can provide once you start playing. Now, certain games can be "upscaled" from 720P to 1080P if you solely just check off 1080P (even though you really can't notice much of a difference), but yeah if the game can't display 1080P/I, and that's all you have checked off, then it's automatically going to display it at 420P.

The coders aren't the morons. The morons are the ones that don't take the time to learn the basics of their game systems.

Yes, they are morons.

What possible edge case would you want to display only 1080p and render anything else as 480p? Any TV that does 1080p can do 720p.

If anything, when you check "1080p", it should automatically check everything else under it.

I've been gaming since the Timex Sinclair, and have owned every major computer and console ever made. If I don't get it, you've royally fucked it up.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I do find that a little amusing. I only have a 720p/1080i set, and I have both 720p and 1080i both checkmarked.

Some games will auto to 1080i, but most default to 720p. I have a 40" Samsung, and I've owned it for about 5 or 6 years now. Ni No Kuni (demo for now), looks amazing on it.

The living room set is a 24" 1080p Samsung. The PS3 on that one also has both 1080p and 720p checked off. It was one of the first things I learned about the PS3 when I first got my HDTV a few months after I got my PS3.

Then again, I tend to spend a good hour when I buy a new console just fucking with the various settings and seeing what they do before I even fire up a game. I did the same thing with my Vita. I like to know as much as I can about the console/handheld before I start playing games. It's part of the fun, for me.

Also, this thread is like torture. Still waiting for Amazon to ship my copy out, but I can't stop reading this thread!! So, so cruel. I don't know why I do this to myself...

dan2026

So the PS3 is designed only for gadget heads, and anyone else buying it is a moron who shouldn't bother. Got it.

Apparently according to some people.

It only took me 10 minutes to work out how the PS3 was fucking up.
But for the average guy, this could be a problem.

Man, I really want to cancel my Wizard's Edition. Shipping sucks. I just want to download off of PSN and just play a bit, but then I'd be paying $200 for this game

How are some of you able to buy both W.E and standard? I wonder if I can sell my W.E copy of the game for a good price, and just download the digital version NOW.

But I'm afraid that by the time I get my W.E, I wont be able to sell the actual game without a loss, and I cant lose anymore money.

Why dont these guys ship extra early for people who buy the premium products? What's the big deal if people play it early a day or two?

TEJ

I just got the ability to recruit.

but none of these damned familiars want to be recruited. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I just ending up with two copies. Simply as that. :D

If I only had that kind of money. The wait is destroying me, as I've been following this game from the very start that it was announced for PS3. Now it's right in front of me, and my arms cannot reach out.

And with everything I'm hearing about Digital River, I dont expect to see the game for another whole month. The stress of waiting for the delivery and potentially having the shipment stolen/lost is killing me too.

I dont think Im ever preordering like this again, when all I want to do is play.

I am enjoying hearing your impressions though :) Glad so many people are so fond of it.

If I only had that kind of money. The wait is destroying me, as I've been following this game from the very start that it was announced for PS3. Now it's right in front of me, and my arms cannot reach out.

And with everything I'm hearing about Digital River, I dont expect to see the game for another whole month. The stress of waiting for the delivery and potentially having the shipment stolen/lost is killing me too.

I dont think Im ever preordering like this again, when all I want to do is play.

I am enjoying hearing your impressions though :) Glad so many people are so fond of it.

Just don't pre-order from scamco again.. I know I won't..

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just got the ability to recruit.

but none of these damned familiars want to be recruited. What the hell am I doing wrong?

It seems to be random. Just keep fighting them. It doesn't seem matter who is attacking them either.

zroid

Banned
This is probably the most de-hyped I've ever been for a game between its initial announcement and its ultimate release in my region. Shows how much long dev/localization time can really take a toll on consumer interest.

I think some publishers are just better than others at managing the hype cycle. Nintendo did it really well with Skyward Sword. Bamco screwed this one up pretty badly (for me), but I'm sure I'll love the game once I delve into it.

I'll be streaming later tonight! You might be able to buy a copy at say Walmart,gamestop, etc. Open it up. Keep your receipt. Get Wizard edition. Take that copy back to store (unopened of course) with receipt and get money back? lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, so people seem to be in agreement that the English dub is better? I was gonna play with the Japanese one + English subs in order to make it feel more like a Ghibli movie (that's how I always watch them), but maybe I should rethink that then. On the other hand, I don't actually know Japanese, so I'm not sure I would even notice if it's bad.

Hmm, so people seem to be in agreement that the English dub is better? I was gonna play with the Japanese one + English subs in order to make it feel more like a Ghibli movie (that's how I always watch them), but maybe I should rethink that then.

now how would non-japanese speakers know that the jpn dub is bad? they don't know proper tone or pronunciation and just go with what they think sounds good or bad.

Tex117

Banned
This is probably the most de-hyped I've ever been for a game between its initial announcement and its ultimate release in my region. Shows how much long dev/localization time can really take a toll on consumer interest.

I think some publishers are just better than others at managing the hype cycle. Nintendo did it really well with Skyward Sword. Bamco screwed this one up pretty badly (for me), but I'm sure I'll love the game once I delve into it.

That's good. So you can go into the game with an open mind.

I was very on the fence about this game. I was not hyped. Heck, I didn't even know if I liked JRPG's anymore. (I LOVED them from the first time I played Dragon Warrior on NES and what got me into gaming). I picked it up thinking, well, this may be my last shot at seeing if I like JRPG's any more.

So far, so good.

Gotta love low expectations!

mattp

maybe this has already been discussed, but for as excited as i've been for this game i feel like it came out in japan to almost 0 fanfare and it just faded into obscurity
did the ds version kill the ps3 version's chances in japan?
i feel like this game should have been huge

Sorian

Banned
now how would non-japanese speakers know that the jpn dub is bad? they don't know proper tone or pronunciation and just go with what they think sounds good or bad.

The whole point of voice acting is whether it sounds good or bad......

Proper pronunciation and tone really do come through whether you know the language or not, you can just feel it from the voice. Half the shit drippy says is impractical to understand but you know its great voice acting.

EDIT: I'm talking english drippy of course.

The whole point of voice acting is whether it sounds good or bad......

Proper pronunciation and tone really do come through whether you know the language or not, you can just feel it from the voice. Half the shit drippy says is impractical to understand but you know its great voice acting.

EDIT: I'm talking english drippy of course.

yes but the guy says "people think the English dub is better". the english dub is good, but to say it's better than the jpn dub without understanding the language is a total stretch.

Aeana

I don't understand why the text speed option doesn't seem to affect some of the dialog boxes. Basically any of them that are associated with the story, rather than random NPC dudes.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think the particular way in which the JP dub is bad won't be obvious to non-speakers. Well, maybe not anyway. But as someone who is fluent in the language, I really can't take it. It's super stilted and awkward. The English dub is much better directed.

madhtr

yes but the guy says "people think the English dub is better". the english dub is good, but to say it's better than the jpn dub without understanding the language is a total stretch.

But the people that do understand it have said that the Japan dub isn't very good.

Top Bottom