• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, so after getting to the forest and some initial play time, my thoughts so far are:

- Voice overs aren't bad. Drippy is leagues better than everyone else in just the quality of the person doing his vocals.

- I laughed at the game when
Oliver's mom died. She just clutches her heart, falls over, then they cut to the next scene where she's in bed and just dies. They took all of the tension and heart break that could have potentially been in that scene and completely ruined it. Thus, I wasn't the least bit shocked or sad when she died.

- The world map is pretty gorgeous and I like that there's no random battles on it

- Transitions between fully voiced parts and then going to parts with no voice overs at all is kind of jarring and takes me out of the experience. All of the dialogue should've been voiced.

- Combat feels a bit slow. We'll have to see how this progresses throughout the game.

- Story is not doing much for me so far. Feels pretty generic RPG story to me.

Not bad from what I've seen so far, but certainly not top 5 material.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I am totally going to get sidetracked in those sidequests and bounties.

I just did the three that were present when you get to Ding Dong Dell:

For the fetch quests:

Not sure why but the earring one took me a while to finish, I couldn't find any pots with them in it. I also got really lucky with the flowers and springwater one. I had all the flowers already and got the springwater by finding the shiny area on the map and then having a monster drop it.

For the bounty:

I definitely almost got my ass kicked in there. I kept forgetting that I could defend so those 3 dogs just kept beating me up. I learned in that fight I really do need to employ strategy going forward

Emilbus

Finally got a full party and it gets pretty hectic. I guess that's why they decided to introduce the all out defend/attack option there, although it would have been useful with the 2nd party member. Going to do some testing but I wonder how good the AI with those options. Noticed that if you use the all out defense, AI would switch out to familiar with highest defense. I wonder if you give it a familiar with evade ability, would they switch to it when there are monsters with unblockable moves like status effect. Maybe I'm hoping too much. :)

Just beat the first boss, I'm REALLY glad I got this game, loving it so far. Especially since I just bought it during that $12 off Newegg coupon code deal, not really sure if I'd want it. This game is good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
they're totally different games, but this is the first game since GTA 4 to make me feel like I'm in a living city. Obviously this is on a completely different scale, but I went up the tower in the first town and when I got on that elevated platform and I could see the people on their porches and three birds came flying in to rest on a ledge. I went

tumblr_m0j9ilpqkH1qbvioh.gif

I just turned off the guided star. Though if you just stand still it pretty much tells you where to go anyway, lol

I started playing the game that way and liked it, but turned it back on because doing all the errands and bounties had me running around enough that I didn't want to add more running around for myself. I do think playing with the star off is the "better" way of playing the game if there is such a thing, but I can only run way out of the way and come back so many times before I start resenting the game and feel like I'm wasting my time.

RPGCrazied

I started playing the game that way and liked it, but turned it back on because doing all the errands and bounties had me running around enough that I didn't want to add more running around for myself. I do think playing with the star off is the "better" way of playing the game if there is such a thing, but I can only run way out of the way and come back so many times before I start resenting the game and feel like I'm wasting my time.

It doesn't affect those on the map, they still blink. The guided star is just where to go to further the story.

Enron

Banned
This fucking game is impossible to purchase in Atlanta, Ga. Only one fucking gamestop has it, and no best buys. What the fuck.

zroid

Banned
I really like everything so far, especially the localization, but the battle system just feels kind of cumbersome. I'll probably get used to it. It helped when I realized you can use L2 and R2 instead of the D-pad to cycle commands, lol.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I really like everything so far, especially the localization, but the battle system just feels kind of cumbersome. I'll probably get used to it. It helped when I realized you can use L2 and R2 instead of the D-pad to cycle commands, lol.

original.gif

Well fuck, you may have just made the battles a bit easier for me now.

It doesn't affect those on the map, they still blink. The guided star is just where to go to further the story.

I know. I said that the side stuff had me running around enough that I didn't want to do extra running looking for where I was supposed to go when I came back to the main quest. Also, it helps me avoid triggering the main quest accidentally.

so is there any shortcut for blocking? Or do you literally have to press circle to cancel the attack, then hit left, then hit x to choose block?

- Transitions between fully voiced parts and then going to parts with no voice overs at all is kind of jarring and takes me out of the experience. All of the dialogue should've been voiced.

This is the one thing I think has annoyed me so far in the game. At first I was thinking I switched some setting somehow and turned it into doing that and was kind of pissed. I'd much rather them having the voice for all dialogue as well.

I just got to the Ding Dong place. Beautiful game so far. I've never been a huge fan of these kind of games (or RPG games in general) but I can see me sticking with this game for the whole thing.

The "tutorial" I guess you can call it (the first 45 minutes of the game basically), where they explained every last little thing to you about killed me. Yeah, it's probably needed, but I was going nuts waiting for it all to be over. It was one thing after another, maybe I'm just complaining to much. The game is super fun so far though, and really if that's my only complaint then that's not too bad. Glad I bought the game day 1 regardless.

Fuuuuck enough with the god damn tutorials an explanations. The first two hours is nothing but one giant, boring tutorial.

That doesn't change, unfortunately. With Drippy following you around all the time, I really wish he would only tell you what you need to do if you talk to him. As it is, whenever you encounter anything that requires player interaction, he spells it out for you through line after line of unvoiced dialogue, almost always telling me what I already know or might have gotten a bit of satisfaction out of figuring out for myself.

Theres a counter system? The fuck?

Also, the fact that they dont tell you you can use L2 and r2 for battles is really bad.

For all the forced tutorializing this game does, it's kind of heinous the things they don't tell you. Like I wanted to know how the Sun/Moon/Star signs interact, but they never tell you, so I went to the tutorial stone thing and basically all he says is they're the Sun, Moon, and Star signs, and they interact, but won't tell you how. SO THEN I went into the wizard companion, found the familiar signs section in the table of contents, then clumsily navigated myself to that page number manually to finally learn that Sun > Moon > Star > Sun, plus Planet > All including double Planet. Maybe it was in the instruction manual, but that would have required getting up.

ALSO HOLY SHIT I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT R2/L2, I'VE BEEN DEFORMING MY INDEX FINGER INTO A TWISTED CLAW

zeopower6

It's kind of funny to see "too much tutorial!" after the demo had next to nothing regarding tutorials. Keep in mind that this game is an 'all-ages' type game. Even though KH is also rated as such, it's slightly different for this game for sure.

I'd only hope that there are some kids playing out there and also loving it, lol.

It's kind of funny to see "too much tutorial!" after the demo had next to nothing regarding tutorials. Keep in mind that this game is an 'all-ages' type game. Even though KH is also rated as such, it's slightly different for this game for sure.

I'd only hope that there are some kids playing out there and also loving it, lol.

It's probably because I played through all of Earthbound for the first time last week and found it refreshing how little hand holding there was in that game. People would tell you what you need to do in broad terms, not tell you step by step with arrows everywhere. And if you could figure out what you needed to do before hand because, logic, you could skip the talking to people part and feel good about figuring out something for yourself.

Emilbus

So with the merit unlock, it seems like you have to buy all the available one before new ones would unlock. It could have been a coincident and I just got up to the part where more would unlock but as soon as I bought the last one that was available, 4 or 5 new ones popped up to purchase. Anyone up the part where they can confirm this also?

Bladenic

It's probably because I played through all of Earthbound for the first time last week and found it refreshing how little hand holding there was in that game. People would tell you what you need to do in broad terms, not tell you step by step with arrows everywhere. And if you could figure out what you needed to do before hand because, logic, you could skip the talking to people part and feel good about figuring out something for yourself.

How amusing, I also played Earthbound for the first time last week and loved it.

Anyway, I have no problem with long tutorials or whatever.

Aeana

Is there an easy mode in this game, and what are its caveats?
Enemies hit for less for sure. That's the only thing I know with certainty. However, it also feels like item drop rates are lower on easy, but that could be entirely in my head. EXP/money gains are the same though.

Top Bottom