• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

How amusing, I also played Earthbound for the first time last week and loved it.

Anyway, I have no problem with long tutorials or whatever.

Yeah, I admit that I'm a bit short on patience when being told stuff I already know. Like every time you encounter an environmental puzzle and Drippy goes on and on and on about what you need to do to solve I'm thinking, "I know Drippy, I'm just waiting for you to shut up so I can do it."

madhtr

So with the merit unlock, it seems like you have to buy all the available one before new ones would unlock. It could have been a coincident and I just got up to the part where more would unlock but as soon as I bought the last one that was available, 4 or 5 new ones popped up to purchase. Anyone up the part where they can confirm this also?

I imagine it's based on where you are in the story. Where were you when it unlocked? It could be based on how many stamps you earn, but I'm not sure. I still have 3ish cards to fill still.

Edit: At one point, Drippy even makes a joke about how long the tutorials are... Funny since I had just started getting tired of seeing them.

Just a quick question (below in spoiler tag).

I read about the glitch during the wand mission. Is it the first wand mission you encounter, where Pea gives you the stick, or is it the second one with King Tom?

Sanctuary

I think I'm already starting to get annoyed with this game. Not enough to stop playing, but the obvious ushering while giving the illusion that you actually have some freedom after you
get the boat
is a really shitty design. Just about every single
island has enemies that are impossible to kill because they are way higher level, and no amount of "skill" allows you to compensate in this game. If the enemies are not 20 - 30 levels higher, you're hit with invisible plot walls because the game doesn't want you to go to a specific island that's right in front of you yet, or every structure that has a door on it is magically locked.
That's some of the worst hand holding ever.

The control scheme is also horrible for pseudo realtime, and the AI controlled party members are semi useless on any fight that requires more than mashing X. The visuals of this game are really the only thing it has going for it. It's like they literally took the worst parts of Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest 8. At least 20 hours in anyway.

madhtr

I found changing the tactics helped me out considerably, once I went through a few battles it seemed to learn what to do. *shrugs* I'm constantly over-leveled anyway.

spent merit on useless jumping. noregrets.

Haha, me too... Second one I got (after speed).

VRMN

I just got the game today and just started it and honestly my first thought is...

A town called "Motorville" located on I-75 that features such companies as Motown Motors...did they seriously partially set a JRPG in an Americana-ized 1970s Detroit!?

I just got the game today and just started it and honestly my first thought is...

A town called "Motorville" located on I-75 that features such companies as Motown Motors...did they seriously partially set a JRPG in an Americana-ized 1970s Detroit!?

They absolutely did not set a jrpg in 70's Detroit.
It's 50's Detroit.

VRMN

They absolutely did not set a jrpg in 70's Detroit.
It's 50's Detroit.

Eh, I'd split the difference and call it 60s based on the cars. Though the earnest attitude is right out of 50's Americana, so it's pretty silly to quibble. Weird as hell setting for a JRPG, still.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Since the difficulty spike of this game is... Weird, is it recommended to play this game on easy?

And I believe going easy won't affect your trophy progress, right?

Sanctuary

Since the difficulty spike of this game is... Weird, is it recommended to play this game on easy?

And I believe going easy won't affect your trophy progress, right?

I have yet to actually hit a difficulty spike in 20+ hours. Aside from enemies that are much higher level, the only "huh?!" moment was during a boss fight that kind of makes it impossible for
melee
to do much of anything. It wasn't "hard" in the end, just mind numbingly tedious.

Mikey Jr.

Can we change the title of this ot to....

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT| Use L2/R2 instead of the dpad

Is that too long? I think that information would help people. It has certainly made the game MUCH more enjoyable at least.

Sanctuary

Is that too long? I think that information would help people. It has certainly made the game MUCH more enjoyable at least.

Still way too much kiting involved. It also only really helps Oliver, because of how terrible the AI is most of the time, it doesn't matter if you take control of
them
briefly. As soon as you switch to one, the other
members
are still acting semi retarded, even if you set
them
up for a specific tactic, half of the time
they
forget it not too long after the fight starts. Yeah, L2/R2 takes some of the jankness away from the easy fights, but you're running so much on boss fights that you have all year to use the cross to select commands.

Never even noticed that you could use those. Thanks for the tip!

Mikey Jr.

Is the L2/R2 thing mentioned in the Telling Stone at all?

Nope, zero. And I read all of it.

Still way too much kiting involved. It also only really helps Oliver, because of how terrible the AI is most of the time, it doesn't matter if you take control of them briefly. As soon as you switch to one, the other two are still acting semi retarded, even if you set them up for a specific tactic, half of the time they forget it not too long after the fight starts. Yeah, L2/R2 takes some of the jankness away from the easy fights, but you're running so much on boss fights that you have all year to use the cross to select commands.

Helps me during the small encounters when I want to switch to defend quickly. On the dpad thats impossible. On r2/l2, its manageable.

Aeana

In the Japanese version,

iF6KSQy.png

Goli

This game's balance is so weird. I'm looking for the
Cowlipha
right now, and so far I've been doing every errand and bounty before moving on, so I haven't really experienced all those difficulty spikes people mention when entering new areas, however, I usually had a bit of trouble in the first few bosses till I found a strategy that has worked on every boss so far. Basically I've noticed that if I use my familiars they end up getting hit way too much so all my boss fights have been won by using Oliver only while spamming magic, and he pretty much never gets hit since magic works regardless of how close or far you are to its target... So now I'm basically finding this too easy even on normal mode.
Also how is everyone handling their familiars? So far I'm trying to get to their second stage/evolution all familiars I manage to get, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.
EDIT: By the way, I think someone mentioned that the standard retail version of the game has a black and white manual IIRC, well, the PSN version's at least is in full color.

Ferrio

Banned
I have yet to actually hit a difficulty spike in 20+ hours. Aside from enemies that are much higher level, the only "huh?!" moment was during a boss fight that kind of makes it impossible for
melee
to do much of anything. It wasn't "hard" in the end, just mind numbingly tedious.

This is discouraging to hear. I'm still near the beginning so I was giving the battle system the benefit of the doubt...

BearPawB

Banned
This game's balance is so weird. I'm looking for the
Cowlipha
right now, and so far I've been doing every errand and bounty before moving on, so I haven't really experienced all those difficulty spikes people mention when entering new areas, however, I usually had a bit of trouble in the first few bosses till I found a strategy that has worked on every boss so far. Basically I've noticed that if I use my familiars they end up getting hit way too much so all my boss fights have been won by using Oliver only while spamming magic, and he pretty much never gets hit since magic works regardless of how close or far you are to its target... So now I'm basically finding this too easy even on normal mode.
Also how is everyone handling their familiars? So far I'm trying to get to their second stage/evolution all familiars I manage to get, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.
EDIT: By the way, I think someone mentioned that the standard retail version of the game has a black and white manual IIRC, well, the PSN version's at least is in full color.

I just got to the volcano area boss. Beat him by just letting
the girl
die, and standing back spamming magic.
She
just refused to defend, so i let her die.

zeopower6

Do you ever get access to a spell or item or anything that allows quick travel to/between towns? Like Chimera Wing or Zoom in DQ.

I recall seeing something like that in a playthrough video.

And I guess Hotroit was just 'loosely based on' Detroit after all, lol.

breakfuss

Quote of the night:
"...why, because your mom dropped dead?"
lol, i'm obviously not far into it, but drippy is already a favorite.

I don't think there is, but I've only played a little bit. R2/L2 switching feels good to me. Great game if you could get used to it.

Nice name and avatar!

You too.

I think I'm still in for this game. Nothing else coming down the pipes for a while anyway.

U should check out the Trey live stream tonight/tomorrow if you get a chance.

Maaseru

Banned
The "tutorial" I guess you can call it (the first 45 minutes of the game basically), where they explained every last little thing to you about killed me. Yeah, it's probably needed, but I was going nuts waiting for it all to be over. It was one thing after another, maybe I'm just complaining to much. The game is super fun so far though, and really if that's my only complaint then that's not too bad. Glad I bought the game day 1 regardless.

You know what I thought exactly the opposite. The tutorials was there, but it happen right along a lot of the story exposition and it didn't take your hand all across it.

For example when the menu items and the witch compendium were introduced the "tutorial" only said well everything is here, remember to explore it fully and you'll get the
idea that's it. That was great for me as opposed to having you examine every little thing, every inch of the game/menu one by one. It really felt fresh. Though I understand
that most of the first thing you did were slow, because they do have to explain the mechanics of how the game worked. I loved this tutorial, not dumb at all, just long
because it is an RPG. Everything you had to know was there, everything else was left to you to explore.

So I got pretty far in the game,
I just got my 3rd party member and a boat.
So I'm not really all that far and I'm now experiencing the difficulty switch the reviewers of this game spoke of. I'm going up against enemies that are way to strong even though i spent 1 hour prior of grinding levels. Also, the current boss I'm on wiped my team out with 3 hits.

This wouldn't be that hard if the AI partners were a little better because right now they are almost worthless. They dish out damage good enough, but they most of the time do stupid things. For example they get hit with a very very small attack and heal themselves, or when an enemy drops a MP or HP orb they will stop everything and walk over to pick it up (I'm not kidding they literally WALK not RUN and pick it up). Also during the boss fight one of my party members was switching familiars over and over again repeatedly, the dude was acting like a roulette machine with his familiars. Also during most boss fights my partners die within the first 5mins of the battle so I finish it myself no problem. I know it looks like i'm outright complaining but it's not that bad but its noticeable.

I'm just gonna gain some more levels and try the boss again, but if all else fails I'll just switch to the easy difficulty.

zeopower6

What's the word on missables?

The only missables really are bestiary entries and one enemy encounter, it looks like.

From EgHeadFool@GFAQs:
People keep asking this. There is no way to miss any trophies, or items, or ownable familiars for that matter. The only missable things are a few enemy encounters for bestiary purposes. In one case you'll only miss filling out the "location" section of the entry, because you can still evolve to it. In the other case, you will miss logging the enemies' entries entirely. Details are listed below, so obviously don't read them if you are worried about spoilers (I will keep it as generic as possible). If anyone knows other missables let me know, but I doubt it.

1) Firefry is missable as an enemy encounter. He can ONLY be fought on the Road to Ruin, which is the little path behind Perdida which leads into Miasma Marsh. You can never go here again after clearing the marsh and the castle beyond. Fight him while you can. And try not to die :p

2) Bestiary entries 387-396 can be missed entirely. They are all called "Wretch" and are different versions of the zombified villagers during the ashes event. Make sure to fight every version. These disappear as soon as you restore all three towns. Don't miss one by accident!

Top Bottom