• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins E3 hands on gameplay videos and impressions are going up

Best footage out there imo

Assassin's Creed: Origins (4K60) - Nighttime Gameplay / Hunting / Infiltrating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WauNAVudo3s

Assassin's Creed: Origins - Exclusive Gameplay - Free Roam / Side Quests / Combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUcywIDOZ3A

Assassin's Creed: Origins (4K60) - Underwater Gameplay / Caves / Looting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV2POlC-9CY

Assassins's Creed: Origins - Exclusive Gameplay Mission #1 "Sobek's Gold" Complete Stealth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAF7OudU3gU

These videos are great. They really sell the game. It may be GOTY territory.

Best thing they did. Taking loot is instant now. No 5 min of feeling up a dead body.

Yep, too many devs lose sight of the fact that these things we play are still games. Let's not take the realism too far and make things that should be straightforward feel like a chore. That's actually what makes Nintendo's game design so damn good a lot of times. They don't lose sight of the fact that these things are about enjoyment and that repetition should be fun, not tedious.

At the start of the Faiyum demo, Bayek had a bronze khopesh – a sickle-like Egyptian sword – as well as an iron spear that sacrificed destructive power for reach. New weapons of varying rarity are scattered around the open world as loot, and a little poking around in fortified mercenary camps produced new swords, shields, paired daggers, heavy maces, and more, each of which opened up new fighting styles to keep enemies guessing. The full list of weapon categories, according to Ismail, consists of regular swords, sickle swords, dual blades, heavy clubs, heavy blades, scepters, and spears, and Bayek can also fight bare-handed. You can amass a sizable collection of gear for different purposes, and eventually unlock quick-swap slots that let you switch between two melee weapons or bows without heading into the inventory screen.

come to papa.

depending on your weapon, filling it will let you unleash either a devastating, defense-smashing Overpower attack that's more than enough to kill most enemies, or a frenzy that briefly makes Bayek stronger, faster, and more resistant to damage.

”Some weapons are more effective against certain enemies," says Ismail. ”For example, with shielded enemies, it is better to use heavy weapons, as they break a shield defense more efficiently. But for enemies that dodge quickly, landing a hit with a heavy weapon is very difficult. Having a weapon with range is more efficient for those enemies."

If you don't feel like going toe-to-toe with your enemies, new bow types are also in abundant supply around the world. The standard hunter's bow is more or less what you might expect: an accurate weapon that lets you draw back and fire arrows into distant, often unsuspecting foes. And while that's great for long-range engagements, Bayek can build up a huge collection of bows with radically different functions and uses.

If you're stuck in the middle of a close engagement with multiple foes, for example, you might want a warrior bow, which fires five arrows at once in a shotgun-like spread pattern; or a light bow, which rapidly shoots five arrows in quick succession with no need to draw back the string. There's also the predator bow, an ideal weapon for snipers, which comes with a super-accurate first-person viewfinder, fires instantly with no pullback, and carries an unlockable ability that lets Bayek control its arrows in flight.

”We've worked very hard to make sure that players can quickly switch between bows and melee efficiently, without big camera movements," says Ismail. ”Players will learn that bows have a strong value in melee. For example, a fully charged hunter bow shot will break a shield defense and knock an enemy to the ground. Being quick with the light bow will allow players to do some damage to an enemy who has a shield up and charging you. And a full shot from the warrior bow will knock anybody to the ground!"

Interesting, that guided arrow wasn't just for show. I really thought it was lol. Not bad at all. Had no idea the bows would be this effective in closer quarters combat. Shield breaking, knocking enemies to the ground, quick switching without heading into inventory screen, stronger, different abilities for adrenaline mode depending on the weapon. All quite cool.

Also, can't believe I didn't consider this.

Your arrows can also be lit on fire if you're near a blaze, which is great for igniting the red pots of oil stockpiled throughout the world – to say nothing of small enemy boats, which can catch ablaze quickly and collapse under their occupants (who will then attempt to swim to other boats and continue the fight).

Did not know the player could tame animals and get them to obey him and follow him into combat till they die. Very nice.

Not only that, but unlockable abilities let her tag patrolling threats so that Bayek can easily spot them, or distract enemies by lunging down at them from the sky.

You're shitting me... the eagle can literally swoop down directly towards enemies for distraction purposes!????

Pachimari

Did not know the player could tame animals and get them to obey him and follow him into combat till they die. Very nice.

Where did you get that from?

I'm pretty sure the animals are wild animals that you can use to your advantage, like letting loose lions from a cage, and Sinu is your eagle to control but I haven't read anywhere that you can tame animals. If so, I must have glanced over it.

Theorry

Where did you get that from?

I'm pretty sure the animals are wild animals that you can use to your advantage, like letting loose lions from a cage, and Sinu is your eagle to control but I haven't read anywhere that you can tame animals. If so, I must have glanced over it.

Seer class has something like it.
3246394-screen+shot+2017-06-11+at+1.53.44+pm.png

Grrr...you guys are posting so much stuff that I can't watch.

Already preordered, now I'm on a media blackout for the game until I play it.

So excited.

Time to go finish Sleeping Dogs.

Gameinformer. Ubisoft’s Quest To Make Assassin’s Creed Origins’ World Their Most Dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQG9l9kECis

Every world game should have NPCs that sleep, work, move about the world. And be killable.

It's what sets Elder Scrolls apart, but the problem of course has always been continuity. Radiant AI in Oblivion was disasterous.

If you go back and play that game and trigger conversations between random people.. it doesnt even make any fucking sense.

"Did you hear about the dragon in the valley?"

"yes, I do like blue cheese in the morning!"

It would be amazing if the dynamic part of it extended to consequences. So if you kill a baker, or a blacksmiith, or mow down a old woman on your horse, that it had lasting effects.

In AC (and other games) the AI always forget your actions very quickly and go back to their normal ways.
There has never been a open world that had a AI system that made it permanent. Kill everyone in a town, and the town is forever changed.

It would be amazing if there was a project ego style execution where the NPCs would give birth, inhabit, and create towns on their own dynamically. And letting the player burn, raze, or take over villages in a fluid way.

Top Bottom