• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds Brings Back Szechuan Dipping Sauce on October 7th, One Day Only

Biske

So cool of McDonald's to partner with resellers on the distribution of this.

At this point any limited event is just a carnival of dipshits. Why bother.

Snaku

Banned
Hearing reports that some locations only have about 20 sauce packets. And people are already camping for the 2 PM start.

Jesus, so sick of this artificial scarcity bullshit. It's all done to get social media buzz and whip everyone into a furor. Nintendo gets away with it, and now McDonald's thinks it can?

Biske

Jesus, so sick of this artificial scarcity bullshit. It's all done to get social media buzz and whip everyone into a furor. Nintendo gets away with it, and now McDonald's thinks it can?

Will.

We love this crap.

My sister bought a SNES classic from her friend for 100 bucks. Wasn't particularly into games, or the SNES. Doesn't know what games are on it, had to ask me what it was. But knew the NES was super hard to get, so she was hyped.

Reading on Twitter how the locations only got 20 packets and many have already given them out... Baahahahahaha

Glorious

Omadahl

Banned
I will not be going anywhere near the one McDonalds in town that has this. There will be a traffic jam of epic proportions. Fellow Omahans, stay away from Dodge between 72nd and 84th... you know, like every other day of the week.

Biske

Honestly, reading on Twitter about people's experiences, unless the McDonald's is next door and you casually walk over, I wouldn't bother.

Some people talking about driving hours only to pull up and see that either this location doesn't actually have it, or all 20 packets have already been given out

Honestly, reading on Twitter about people's experiences, unless the McDonald's is next door and you casually walk over, I wouldn't bother.

Some people talking about driving hours only to pull up and see that either this location doesn't actually have it, or all 20 packets have already been given out
Why would you drive hours without checking to see if they had it lol

McDonalds wants to test the waters before they gear up production and spend money introduceing a new menu item based on an internet meme.

McDonalds has been facing significant losses because people don't want to buy their dumb gimmicky menu items. Nintendo got burned because no one baught the WiiU.

Consumers speak with their wallets and have said "we don't want this dumb shit
Wait wait wait, but we do want THAT dumb shit"

It's not fiscally responsible for a company to go all in on something just in case they don't hurt anyone's feelings if there isn't enough nugget sauce.

It's just dipping sauce

Apparently the website was wrong and even though it said a store would have it, it didnt
I would be so pissed

McDonalds wants to test the waters before they gear up production and spend money introduceing a new menu item based on an internet meme.

McDonalds has been facing significant losses because people don't want to buy their dumb gimmicky menu items. Nintendo got burned because no one baught the WiiU.

It's not fiscally responsible for a company to go all in on something just in case they don't hurt anyone's feelings if there isn't enough nugget sauce.

It's just dipping sauce
Why did they get rid of Mac Jrs for all this dumb mix and match shit. Never saw anyone order that once.

greatgeek

Banned
Artificial scarcity creates artificial demand--it's not much of a test of how well something will sell under ordinary commercial conditions. And a disproportionate amount of consumers participating in this event will be because of the meme.

Biff

Artificial scarcity creates artificial demand--it's not much of a test of how well something will sell under ordinary commercial conditions. And a disproportionate amount of consumers participating in this event will be because of the meme.

God, the Rick and Morty fanbase truly, truly is the worst. Just awful.

Sandfox

It's just dipping sauce
If anything I feel like the twitter giveaway they did showed there was a lot of demand and this current promotion is far too limited to do anything other than piss people off.

If anything I feel like the twitter giveaway they did showed there was a lot of demand and this current promotion is far too limited to do anything other than piss people off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/new

I thought it was going to be a mess but I didn't think it's be a 100+ people in line kind of mess.

Should have just done it the Taco Bell way and tested it in a few small test markets before trying to pull this.

Biske

Like... this is the society we live in.

People lining up, HOURS early, some having driven for hours, just in hopes of getting 1 of 20 packets of sauce.

DLjY_ukXkAEjef1.jpg

Only to find... the quantities are extremely limited or have already been given out or

But don't worry, fellow humans got your back, can pay 49 bucks for that 1oz packet...

It's something else.

Like... this is the society we live in.

People lining up, HOURS early, some having driven for hours, just in hopes of getting 1 of 20 packets of sauce.

Only to find... the quantities are extremely limited or have already been given out or

But don't worry, fellow humans got your back, can pay 49 bucks for that 1oz packet...

It's something else.

Let's start another 'so GAF how do you feel about scalpers?' thread

What location was this? I'm actually scared to even try my local McD's now.

Arthos

Have a friend who's dad is a manager at a local participating McDonalds.he said they were only sent 17 and that it was being raffled.

The fact that the sauce was so limited is ridiculous. I don't know if this was being done at your locations, but at this one you basically had to buy a chicken sandwich and then wait until 2pm to which they would then raffle out the 17 sauces they received.

Mind you, the place was packed when I went at 11:30.

Haruko

What I don't get is they just rolled out a bunch of new sauces with these new chicken tenders... Why not just make Szechuan one of them?

Biske

Let's start another 'so GAF how do you feel about scalpers?' thread

What location was this? I'm actually scared to even try my local McD's now.

I'm just looking on Twitter, just a tiny sampling of posts. Tons of people reporting the same thing

Some talk of fights breaking out, cops on site. Protests lol.

DarkestHour

Banned
How much you want to wager store employees took the sauce and are probably reselling it on Ebay or something. I remember when I worked at McDonald's as a kid during the Beanie Babies craze and plenty of us did this.

painey

planning on heading out to try the new tenders and hopefully get a poster. hope there's no line or i'll just go next door to hardees

How much you want to wager store employees took the sauce and are probably reselling it on Ebay or something. I remember when I worked at McDonald's as a kid during the Beanie Babies craze and plenty of us did this.

Oh hell yes they'll do that. Come into work for the day, snag one or two packets and make the entire days pay for selling it off.

Heroman

Banned
WHy would anyone wait in line for a sauce? WHy would anyone drives more then 10 miles for a sauces? Why would anyone pay more then 1 dollar for a sauces?

Snaku

Banned
It had no following before Rick and Morty. McRib this is not.

The McRib isn't even the McRib. It's only limited because if it was a regular menu item everyone would order it once and never again. Making it limited lets everyone forget how shit it tastes and order it again when it comes back.

LProtag

Really glad I didn't think about going to the one a town over. Apparently there were like 300 people in line and 20 packets.

Top Bottom