• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Kill La Kill 05

"Nudist Beach"? Even worse than "Debauchery Tea Party"

This dude seems cool though

The bits where Matoi''s talking to her uniform and everybody's weirded out is hilarious

Kyousougiga - 3

This keeps getting better with every episode. I was kinda skeptical at first, but I think it definitely lives up to the hype. I need more of this crazy world and its crazier inhabitants.

Jintor

...this show is so fucking absurd.

I love it.

I like the larger elements of world-building, like the three-star mentioning Satsuki's larger plans, but this show really excels at just moment to moment absurdity.

Syrinx

Ouran High School Host Club 15

Oh Hikaru and Kaoru sleep in the same bed together? The brotherly love goes to even greater levels than I imagined. Though I shouldn't really be talking since I've slept in the same room as my brother since as far back as I can remember. Not the same bed though.

I fucking lol'd at Tamaki's fence job.

Ooooooohhh a new facet appears. An old friend of Haruhi's? An old flame even? Who is he???????

Jex

[Monogatari] - 19

More creepy nonsense. Avoid.

Really, the only standout-arc of this season has really been the Snake Arc but that arc was so god damn amazing it nearly makes up for how tepid the rest of this is. Nearly.

And SOME PEOPLE still haven't even gotten around to that arc!

LordCanti

[Monogatari] - 19

More creepy nonsense. Avoid.

Really, the only standout-arc of this season has really been the Snake Arc but that arc was so god damn amazing it nearly makes up for how tepid the rest of this is. Nearly.

And SOME PEOPLE still haven't even gotten around to that arc!

Did it leak? What the hell? The Aussie's will never get another simulcast at this rate (if it was part of the same leak).

CorvoSol

What did I say about watching the uncensored version!

On the other hand, the unprofessional censorship is far and away the most List feature of the show.

what movie?

there definitely isn't a blood-c movie.

As much as I would like for there never to have been an Eureka Seven movie, there was. I wish they'd made a sequel to the show, though. I bet that would've been cool.

Good image of Nagisa on the Free v3.

Green stripes is still best guy.

Unicorn primarily stars Banagher Links and near incomprehensible technophobia, if it didn't I'd rater it a lot higher.

I'll give you that Banagher Links is a pretty lame character unworthy of the amazing fight scenes he's in, (and while I would sooner him over chumps like Uso any day, that's neither here nor there), let's not pretend that the protagonists of Gundam Build Fighters are the reason it is rated so highly, either.

Also Unicorn brought me Ms. Marida.

duckroll

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...rts-advance-in-Oscar-race/UPI-33611383858095/

10 Animated Short Films Advance In Oscar Race:

"Feral" by Daniel Sousa
"Get a Horse!" by Lauren MacMullan
"Gloria Victoria" by Theodore Ushev
"Hollow Land" by Uri Kranot and Michelle Kranot
"The Missing Scarf" by Eoin Duffy
"Mr. Hublot" by Laurent Witz and Alexandre Espigares
"Possessions" by Shuhei Morita
"Requiem for Romance" by Jonathan Ng
"Room on the Broom" by Max Lang and Jan Lachauer
"Subconscious Password" by Chris Landreth.

Only one anime in the list. No Kick Heart. No Anime Mirai shorts. They even picked Possessions over Combustible, proving that CG > 2D. RIP everyone.

Caladrius

Green stripes is still best guy.

You are wise.

Started watching K and Karneval. (up to ep 2 on both.)

I like both of them so far. Neither of them are exceptional but I'm having a good time. (Instantly fell in love with the lead of the former, as you probably guessed.)

The second episode of K was a mixed bag though. Once the cat
transformed into a busty naked chick with space warping powers
I went:
um-what-the-fuck.jpg

And I think the episode should have moved the story forward a bit more. There's only 11 episodes left, man!

You are wise.

Started watching K and Karneval. (up to ep 2 on both.)

I like both of them so far. Neither of them are exceptional but I'm having a good time. (Instantly fell in love with the lead of the former, as you probably guessed.)

The second episode of K was a mixed bag though. Once the cat
transformed into a busty naked chick with space warping powers
I went:

And I think the episode should have moved the story forward a bit more. There's only 11 episodes left, man!

Both are so good, Ive watched K twice and rewatching it yet again. Story advances well in abit. If you do like it, eventually read K Memory of Red and Days of Blue for more time and backstory on both groups.

Karneval too, hope funimation does bring it on BD here.

BluWacky

Both are so good, Ive watched K twice and rewatching it yet again. Story advances well in abit. If you do like it, eventually read K Memory of Red and Days of Blue for more time and backstory on both groups.

I find it ironic that there should be something called Memory Of Red in association with K, given that the anime seeemingly had absolutely no memory of red when it came to its colour palette...

jbug617

Banned
IS S2 6

Good episode in that Laura and Charlotte dominated it.
From Laura starting the discussion about underwear to Charlotte disappearing underwear.

LordCanti

Monogatari 19

This was a better episode for me than the last one. We learned what
Arararararagi was doing when he sent those text messages much earlier in the season.
I'm not sure we learned anything else, but it was a fun episode in any case
Hachikuji fondling, threats to kiss Ononoki, Hachi and Ononoki drawing on his unconscious body. It was a good day.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...rts-advance-in-Oscar-race/UPI-33611383858095/

"Feral" by Daniel Sousa

Only one anime in the list. No Kick Heart. No Anime Mirai shorts. They even picked Possessions over Combustible, proving that CG > 2D. RIP everyone.

No Wolf Children. No Death Billiards. The Oscars continue to be pointless.

CorvoSol

SHIN MAZINGER Z 2

Where have you been my entire life? This show! THIS SHOW, GUYS. I can't. It's too good. I'm not worthy. Holy crap, this is the purest form of Super Robot ever. It just, it just is, you know? Everything about this is right. The music, the action, the shouting, the mechs. It's all so ridiculously awesome. It's like one extended metal song you never want to end. Kid hasn't even gotten in his mech yet and it is still so freaking amazing.

So good so good so good

Articalys

"Feral" by Daniel Sousa

To be fair, Combustible was on the shortlist last year, but didn't make the nomination either.

JCG

SHIN MAZINGER Z 2

Where have you been my entire life? This show! THIS SHOW, GUYS. I can't. It's too good. I'm not worthy. Holy crap, this is the purest form of Super Robot ever. It just, it just is, you know? Everything about this is right. The music, the action, the shouting, the mechs. It's all so ridiculously awesome. It's like one extended metal song you never want to end. Kid hasn't even gotten in his mech yet and it is still so freaking amazing.

So good so good so good

I'm very glad to hear that.

Some people tend to get a bit exasperated by the non-robot parts of Shin Mazinger, especially later in the show, but I felt they worked nicely. This was yet another case of not everyone getting what they expect and thus making a huge deal about it, even when it's well-executed.

You're already an Imagawa fan since you love G Gundam so much though, so it should be nice to have some positive thoughts for a change.

cajunator

Banned
It's not the end of Hidamari, it's just going to make me cry like a motherfucker!

If I had money to spend on butts and boobs I would, maybe if it ever goes on sale.

I knowwwww but still I dont want to watch it because it means hidamari has to end sometime.
I cant bear to think about it. :(
At least its coming out in BLURAY GLORY WIDEFACE HNNNGH

Isn't when you guys-

- Aw dang it. I'm always late to the joke....

Heyyy...thats....
me

I don't know; this isn't the first time I've seen the "same place in parallel dimensions" concept.

Yes, but the way the worlds interact with each other is poorly explained. Like are the yokai that inhabit the human world born there? They'd have to be if no one knows anything about the other world, right? And if no one knows anything about the other world, how does the premise work at all unless there's a ton of information we're missing, information that Suzuhito doesn't seem to want to give.

Articalys

Media Blasters sez:
Going forward, a new policy: we announce acquisitions as they happen and then only announce street dates after the product is done. We will give you updates as we are working on it around here. Right now that will work best for all involved!
So their stuff will still take an eternity to actually be released but at least there will be no false promises anymore. Maybe.

fertygo

Yes, but the way the worlds interact with each other is poorly explained. Like are the yokai that inhabit the human world born there? They'd have to be if no one knows anything about the other world, right? And if no one knows anything about the other world, how does the premise work at all unless there's a ton of information we're missing, information that Suzuhito doesn't seem to want to give.

Like you usually give a a shit to coherence writing anyway.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 2

Show's RAW, man. Professor Saotome is a man so dedicated to his science stuff that he honestly does not appear to care that his SON IS DEAD and his daughter almost died. No wonder Anno makes Gendo into such a bastard. Most of these science dads, seen through another light, are. Musashi is a dang coward who is afraid of the coolest things God ever did put on this Earth. And Ryouma is an abusive jerkass, while Hayato is an apathetic douchebag.

Are these people really heroes?

duckroll

That makes even less sense now. Both Combustible and Possessions were screened at the same festivals ahead of the rest of the Short Peace segments. How is it that one can be shortlisted for 2012, and another for 2013? The submission process must be really dumb!

I don't really see the issue here. I mean I've only see 5 episodes so far, but it makes sense to me.

The non-humans are born in our world, and have always been part of our world. They're the basis of myth and legend throughout human history. Tuning is the act of sending a non-human to another world, carried out by humans who possess a special power handed down through the generations. This act is clearly devised by humans, and acts as a tradition to get rid of non-humans who interfere with how human society is expected to exist.

The tradition is carried out because most people don't care about those who are different from themselves, and care only about what they see as "their own people". So throughout history it seems that often tuning is forced upon the non-humans who get caught or who cause trouble, and most of the time it seems they died in the process. It was only because one person actually cared about doing it "right" in the first place that the bridge between the worlds was created. He sacrificed his life on our world in the process. but in doing so created a place where non-humans would feel safe, knowing that even if they do get tuned, it would be under the best circumstances.

Because of this one change in the history of tuning, it seems to have changed the culture of the tradition itself. It was no longer viewed as something which simply had to be done, but something that can be done if required. Due to this one change, it caused this town to flourish as a place where humans and non-humans can live together in peace. Which is the premise of the entire story.

Does anyone know anything about the other world? Nope. Does it matter? Probably not.

Narag

Aku no Hana 7

god damn, i said. god damn. Ending sequence was one of the prettiest things I've ever seen from anime.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy 13

These last few episodes just keep piling on how awesome Ginja, Sasami's Dad is. I mean jesus christ, he's made out to be a man among men, possibly to fill the quota of useful male characters in a magical girl anime. Doesn't even give a fuck about Sasami getting a 60. That's enough for a FEAST IN HIS DEFINITION!

Can't help but feel that Pixy Misa wasn't actually a bad guy here. I mean yeah, she summoned a monster, but she also revealed how much of a scumbag Mr Arranged Marriage is.... and that guy SHOT RAINBOWS FROM HIM HANDS AND SUMMON CHERUBS LIKE IT'S NOTHING! EVERYONE WAS IN ON THE MARRIAGE!

So far, this has been really worthwhile. It feels like this and Dokkaan will be the last pitstop of goodness before we truly descend into a deeper Magical Hell.

Gazoinks

Aku no Hana 7

god damn, i said. god damn. Ending sequence was one of the prettiest things I've ever seen from anime.

Yeah, the ending sequence of this episode is absolutely stunning. This ending and the beginning of the next episode together are one of my favorite anime sequences.

Like you usually give a a shit to coherence writing anyway.

No need for personal attacks, dude.

I don't really see the issue here. I mean I've only see 5 episodes so far, but it makes sense to me.

The non-humans are born in our world, and have always been part of our world. They're the basis of myth and legend throughout human history. Tuning is the act of sending a non-human to another world, carried out by humans who possess a special power handed down through the generations. This act is clearly devised by humans, and acts as a tradition to get rid of non-humans who interfere with how human society is expected to exist.

The tradition is carried out because most people don't care about those who are different from themselves, and care only about what they see as "their own people". So throughout history it seems that often tuning is forced upon the non-humans who get caught or who cause trouble, and most of the time it seems they died in the process. It was only because one person actually cared about doing it "right" in the first place that the bridge between the worlds was created. He sacrificed his life on our world in the process. but in doing so created a place where non-humans would feel safe, knowing that even if they do get tuned, it would be under the best circumstances.

Because of this one change in the history of tuning, it seems to have changed the culture of the tradition itself. It was no longer viewed as something which simply had to be done, but something that can be done if required. Due to this one change, it caused this town to flourish as a place where humans and non-humans can live together in peace. Which is the premise of the entire story.

Does anyone know anything about the other world? Nope. Does it matter? Probably not.

I guess that makes sense, though the information being fragmented and the manga expanding on the concept later on causing more confusion didn't make it the easiest thing to understand for me.

Media Blasters sez:

So their stuff will still take an eternity to actually be released but at least there will be no false promises anymore. Maybe.

Well it still sounds like stuff might get licensed but never released. So nothing really new I guess besides the whole Media Blasters is still undead.

duckroll

I guess that makes sense, though the information being fragmented and the manga expanding on the concept later on causing more confusion didn't make it the easiest thing to understand for me.

It's possible that it's really poor presented in the manga. I wouldn't know, since I've never read it. I think the TV anime is doing a surprisingly good job of being coherent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom