• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final trailer for "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets"

I think Valerian beats out Dunkirk the weekend both premiere here in America with Spider Man still being number 1 in it's 3rd weekend, or War for the Planet of the Apes edging out the top spot in it's 2nd weekend.

FTF

Cool trailer, I'm sold on the visuals alone.

I think Valerian beats out Dunkirk the weekend both premiere here in America with Spider Man still being number 1 in it's 3rd weekend, or War for the Planet of the Apes edging out the top spot in it's 2nd weekend.

lol there is no chance Valerian beats Dunkirk opening weekend. There's a better chance Dunkirk doubles Valerian's ow. Dunkirk will get every imax and liemax screen and that alone is a huge advantage.

ryseing

You underestimate Nolan's built-in audience.

One of the few remaining filmmakers that guarantees a solid OW.

I think you're overestimating this genre of film, it's massive budget, and no American stars in a super competitive month of blockbuster films and counter programming. Any success this film has will solely be because of Nolan's name attached to it.

Leads still look like brother and sister.

I'm definitely going to catch this in cinemas, but have a feeling it's gonna be another Jupiter Ascending.

This trailer feels like they watched the Avatar theatrical trailer for inspiration. Listing all of Besson's notorious films in the fashion they do in the trailer. Doesn't quite have the same impact though, lol.

jett

D-Member
Leads still look like brother and sister.

I'm definitely going to catch this in cinemas, but have a feeling it's gonna be another Jupiter Ascending.

This trailer feels like they watched the Avatar theatrical trailer for inspiration. Listing all of Besson's notorious films in the fashion they do in the trailer. Doesn't quite have the same impact though, lol.

And that (awesome) Avatar trailer actually focused on story and characters.

I still know fuck all about what this movie is about.

Elandyll

Banned
Amazing visuals, and if it's anything like the comic it will also be a mind fuck on the script level.

Still afraid it will horribly bomb...

Also have doubts about the main cast, but will have to see in the movie.

And that (awesome) Avatar trailer actually focused on story and characters.

I still know fuck all about what this movie is about.

Elite Agents

City of a thousand planets

Under threat of annihilation by an ultra powerful ennemy

Super limited window to save Millions if not billions of sentient beings across thousands of species.

What more do you expect from a 2min trailer?

kyser73

John Carter or, as Paz said, Speed Racer part 2.

I also have guilty pleasure at Jupiter Ascending simply because it's grand scale space opera that isn't in an established franchise.

I have also realised now that if there are ever any movies or TV shows based on The Culture novels by Iain M Banks, Besson should be in the shortlist for director duties.

nel e nel

Bomb or not, I love how that looks. Proper space opera goodness.

Doesn't hurt the bit the Mass Effect swoosh either.

318Js7s.jpg

overcast

The visuals are pretty sweet but does anyone else get bugged by the look of the two leads? Not even sure it's either one of them specifically but together.

The visuals are pretty sweet but does anyone else get bugged by the look of the two leads? Not even sure it's either one of them specifically but together.

They already look kinda weird and it's heightened with them together as leads of a sci-fi, action blockbuster, and their relationship looks incestuous.

The leads are just... I can't really think of anything else when watching the trailers. There's just something about them that's so distracting, like they're doing something wrong.

They look like siblings, that's why.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I really wanna like this since I like the director a lot but none of the trailers have really seemed all that great.

Wensih

They have very unique features from the typical action leads, so I think it fits the alien nature of the sci-if genre well.

They have very unique features from the typical action leads, so I think it fits the alien nature of the sci-if genre well.

The problem is you're already getting those unique features from the rest of the alien creatures in the film so it helps if your leads look more conventional. It might've helped if they were brother and sister in the film, but the fact they're lovers only makes it look more weird and a bit unsettling.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
there's about a 20% chance this will be one of the greatest science fiction films of all time

and about an 75% chance that it's going to be an unmitigated, worse-than-jupiter-ascending disaster

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They have my attention.

Wensih

The problem is you're already getting those unique features from the rest of the alien creatures in the film so it helps if your leads look more conventional. It might've helped if they were brother and sister in the film, but the fact they're lovers only makes it look more weird and a bit unsettling.

I don't see that as a problem. Why should anything be familiar in a sci-if film that involves alien civilization. I guess I'm just too enthralled with Samuel R. Delany at the moment, but I enjoy sci-if where almost everything, concepts, culture, and appearances, is completely alien, even humans.

I love all the great sci-fi films we have been getting lately. I hope this is one of them...

Agreed. I know people with 0 interest in the genre who are going because of him. Absolutely no way this movie beats Dunkirk.

It looks visually good, but man does Delevinge seem so bland. Shame they couldn't show any of Desplat's score in the trailer, but I imagine it's not finished.

KingV

They're lovers? I couldn't decide from the trailer if they were supposed to be adults or teens.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
About a month away. Boy do I want this to be good. I hope it's not a case of a fun but wacky movie getting middled to death by bloggers and people who lean on RT.

russtc3

Neo Member
This movie has a 197 million EUR (~220 million USD) budget.

I had no idea it was coming out until very recently. Strange.

Top Bottom