• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FL Prosecutor refuses to seek death penalty. Gets death threats. Removed from case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B33

Banned
This case has gotten a lot of publicity because the man being charged murdered a cop execution style, killed his girlfriend (who was pregnant at the time), and wounded his brother. Also, another officer died in pursuit of him.

I don't believe in capital punishment and loathe Rick Scott. Executing a person because of the crimes they committed doesn't solve anything. Studies have shown it drops public morale.

I can't wait to leave Florida. This state sucks major ass.

xRaizen

As someone who lives in Orlando and my (now ex) girlfriend lived just down the street from the search area while Loyd was still at large - I've mixed feelings about this.

Deepwater

I have some mixed feelings about this and live just outside Orlando so I've been hearing about this for a bit. I am against the death penalty but feel that it is not appropriate for her to inject her personal feelings into this, especially considering she did not publicly say she was against the death penalty during her campaign which considering how close her race was, she may likely have lost had she said so. My feelings about Kim Davis not doing her job because her personal feelings mean I'd be a hypocrite to say this case should be different just because I happen to agree with the state attorney on the death penalty. Add to that the particular case in question being extremely heated and covered extensively locally, and I can understand her being removed from the case. I don't see why her race is coming up at all outside of some disgusting comments from assholes on social media and whatnot, but assholes come out of the woodwork for every controversy, I don't think it's indicative of a large amount of people's feelings.

Florida has 214 white males on death row as compared to 144 black males on death row. It is most definitely about race

I have some mixed feelings about this and live just outside Orlando so I've been hearing about this for a bit. I am against the death penalty but feel that it is not appropriate for her to inject her personal feelings into this, especially considering she did not publicly say she was against the death penalty during her campaign which considering how close her race was, she may likely have lost had she said so. My feelings about Kim Davis not doing her job because her personal feelings mean I'd be a hypocrite to say this case should be different just because I happen to agree with the state attorney on the death penalty. Add to that the particular case in question being extremely heated and covered extensively locally, and I can understand her being removed from the case. I don't see why her race is coming up at all outside of some disgusting comments from assholes on social media and whatnot, but assholes come out of the woodwork for every controversy, I don't think it's indicative of a large amount of people's feelings.

We just had 8 years of politicians on the right treating Obama like shit because he dared to be black and be president and you don't see why race is coming up?

You cannot remove race from the equation. She is a black woman in a position of authority who is daring to exercise that authority over an issue that is historically racially linked.

Grant Maloy, the Seminole County Clerk of Courts and Comptroller, said Wednesday that he requested McCullars’ resignation after an investigation, and McCullars agreed to step down.

He had been on administrative leave with pay since Monday.

rbanke

It's up to the prosecuting attorney to decide what punishment fits the case. If she believes the death penalty doesn't fit any cases then technically that's her choice. If she just never went for the death penalty but never stated it publicly no one would care. Maybe a case or two people would get upset but never enough to get removed from a case

This is definitely an interesting way to look at it and it's certainly common to hear 'the prosecuting attorney has decided to seek the death penalty'. I can see the difference between that and the reference I made.

Florida has 214 white males on death row as compared to 144 black males on death row. It is most definitely about race

I'm not quite sure how those statistics add up to this being about race?

We just had 8 years of politicians on the right treating Obama like shit because he dared to be black and be president and you don't see why race is coming up?

You cannot remove race from the equation. She is a black woman in a position of authority who is daring to exercise that authority over an issue that is historically racially linked.

If Jeff Ashton (previous state attorney) had made this proclamation at the same time on this case, I believe he would receive as much backlash. The suspect in this case was the center of attention for some heinous shit and a lot of people want to see him get the maximum penalty, it's that which I believe is the motivation for the majority of outrage. I see why race is coming up, I don't think it's the major motivator of outrage is all.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
People's bloodlust continues to amaze me. Also, may the victims rest in peace.
a6c431c1-39da-43a6-a7bc-858a39790323_image.jpg

B33

Banned
If Jeff Ashton (previous state attorney) had made this proclamation at the same time on this case, I believe he would receive as much backlash. The suspect in this case was the center of attention for some heinous shit and a lot of people want to see him get the maximum penalty, it's that which I believe is the motivation for the majority of outrage. I see why race is coming up, I don't think it's the major motivator of outrage is all.

You're arguing against what's happened with a hypothetical you can't actually prove.

Racism doesn't have to be overt to still be a major factor.

This is definitely an interesting way to look at it and it's certainly common to hear 'the prosecuting attorney has decided to seek the death penalty'. I can see the difference between that and the reference I made.

Yeah I'm sure it's just a coincidence that a black woman was threatened with being hung from a tree.

rbanke

You're arguing against what's happened with a hypothetical you can't actually prove.

Racism doesn't have to be overt to still be a major factor.

Definitely, I'm reading all of this and I don't see what value there is in me downplaying race, putting less focus on racism doesn't elevate any other position. I am fully against the capital punishment, so I don't even know why I'm trying to defend the position I don't agree with. My instant mental comparison was the Kim Davis situation and I thought she should do her job regardless of what her beliefs on the situation were because she is representing the state not herself. In this case, It was pointed out to me that there is a big difference because prosecutors are in the position to make a judgement on what penalty to seek.

Yeah I'm sure it's just a coincidence that a black woman was threatened with being hung from a tree.

The point of the statistics is that blacks make up only 16% of the Florida population, yet account for more than half of the prisoners on death row? Do think that is just happenstance? The issue of criminal justice system , and the death penalty, in America is about race. You have to be naive to ignore it, especially in this context.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I'd have to think that racism has emboldened certain people to comment as if they were sociopaths. He says these things to other racists without incident and then must have been surprised when he got called out on his racist asshattery.

Stan is 52 years old. Threatening to lynch a black person in Florida wouldn't have raised an eyebrow during most of his childhood. Florida was the lynching capital of the US at one time.

Also, I have never heard a convincing argument for the death penalty. Not a single, solitary one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have some mixed feelings about this and live just outside Orlando so I've been hearing about this for a bit. I am against the death penalty but feel that it is not appropriate for her to inject her personal feelings into this, especially considering she did not publicly say she was against the death penalty during her campaign which considering how close her race was, she may likely have lost had she said so.

Prosecutors always have discretion whether or not to seek the death penalty, even if it is on the books, just as prosecutors always have discretion as to which of the possible sets of charges to indict a perp on. It is not the case that in a death penalty state, all prosecutors must always seek the death penalty for all crimes that might hypothetically be eligible for it. How ghastly would that be? "Well, I don't think this merits execution, but spark 'em up anyway gents!"

My feelings about Kim Davis not doing her job because her personal feelings mean I'd be a hypocrite to say this case should be different just because I happen to agree with the state attorney on the death penalty.

A county clerk does not have discretion whether or not to do their job including issuing routine and uncontroversial forms. A prosecutor does have discretion which punishment to seek.

What are you even talking about? Do you know what a prosecutor does? There is no mandatory death sentence (well I guess unless for treason?) so this is NOTHING like that situation AT ALL. A prosecutor's job is to decide these things, a county clerk's job is to do what she's suppose to do.

Also, I find it ironic that the people threatening her are basically "Kill this guy or we'll kill you". Fucking savages, but it's florida

Xe4

Banned
Good on her! Scott proves he's a fuckhead again, no surprises there. Shame on those racist dickheads giving death threats as well.

Rick Scott is still around? Fucking gross.

Oh don't worry, once his time as governor is done he'll be gone for good, since he was elected twice already.

Would be grand to shove his Voldemort lookin' ass down a deep hole and leave him there to rot, but that wouldn't be too nice apparently.

Oh don't worry, once his time as governor is done he'll be gone for good, since he was elected twice already.

Would be grand to shove his Voldemort lookin' ass down a deep hole and leave him there to rot, but that wouldn't be too nice apparently.

Don't jinx it. He's being pushed to run for Senate against Nelson in 2018.

Brakke

Banned
This case is such a weird jurisdictional clusterfuck. If the people of Florida aren't pleased with her decision about whether or not to pursue death penalty cases, their remedy is to recall or else defeat her on the next election; they obviously thought she was qualified to do this job when they voted her in. Doesn't make sense for the governor to intercede. But also it doesn't make sense for different counties to enforce state laws in wildly different ways; the people of Florida made the decision that the death penalty was acceptable (expected, even) when they voted in their legislators.

Anyway let's just solve the general case and abolish the death penalty, then there's no conflict here! E-z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom