• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump hosted $3000/person fundraiser for FL AG after Trump U investigation dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

This is a pretty big deal. He offered them essentially a contribution of $135,000 if you will by charging only $5k vs $140k and then there's whatever was actually raised for her. Plus the $25k payment... we're at $160k in contributions prior to however many people actually showed up and paid for tickets to actually fundraise.

studyguy

This is a pretty big deal. He offered them essentially a payment of $135,000 if you will by charging only $5k and then there's whatever was actually raised for her. Plus the $25k payment... we're at $160k in contributions prior to however many people actually showed up and paid for tickets.

Mind you he misreported the initial 25k charitable donation to Florida AG, saying he gave to a Kansas charity instead to the IRS. Like come on, there's mistakes then there's straight up fraud. Not to mention being set up as a nonprofit made it impossible for him to give to political campaigns in the first place. Dude screwed the pooch, then lied about it to the fucking IRS.

This is a pretty big deal. He offered them essentially a contribution of $135,000 if you will by charging only $5k vs $140k and then there's whatever was actually raised for her. Plus the $25k payment... we're at $160k in contributions prior to however many people actually showed up and paid for tickets to actually fundraise.

is it a big deal? yeah

will it get any attention? probably not. numbers are HARD

Can't wait for this thread to get 17+ pages too

Who am I kidding

Came here to post this. It's hard to deny that sexism plays a huge role when something that is cut and dry like this doesn't get the attention of the same posters who are always trying to paint Hillary as corrupt. I guess it only matters if she might be involved.

Kyzer

Banned
both sides have a lack of evidence of quid pro quo and its a colossal waste of time to sit here waiting for a smoking gun. keep poking at the tax returns/promises to commit war crimes, etc. plz

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Came here to post this. It's hard to deny that sexism plays a huge role when something that is cut and dry like this doesn't get the attention of the same posters who are always trying to paint Hillary as corrupt. I guess it only matters if she might be involved.

Aren't there only like 4 pro trump people on this board? Did they really carry a thread to that many pages or was it everyone else dog piling and making excuses?

Seems like in the past few days, most major outlets have now written about this. Sure, it was slow to take hold, but I'm not sure the "media lets Trump get away with anything!" narrative really holds anymore in this case.

Exactly. He's getting hammered for this case of pay to play where he slipped up and got what he wanted from the contribution that was made.

both sides have a lack of evidence of quid pro quo and its a colossal waste of time to sit here waiting for a smoking gun. keep poking at the tax returns/promises to commit war crimes, etc. plz

The problem with needing a smoking gun for corruption is that unless someone was in the room with a wire or if Pam Bondi has a contract that begins with "I, Donald J. Trump, agree to donate and raise around $200,000 for the purposes of reelecting Pam Bondi in exchange for dropping the investigation into Scam U." there is no way to prove with 100 % certainty that a quid pro quo occurred. Trump has basically admitted to this on stage at a debate but it's not the kind of evidence someone could probably get a conviction out of. Nonetheless, this should be shouted to everyone non-stop for the next 9 weeks because any reasonable person should see the blatant corruption and bribery that occurred here.

Holmes

Seems like in the past few days, most major outlets have now written about this. Sure, it was slow to take hold, but I'm not sure the "media lets Trump get away with anything!" narrative really holds anymore in this case.
Once the Khantroversy ended, the media started letting Trump get away with anything and have now even started to take his surrogates' BS attacks on Clinton seriously. I've accepted that Clinton will win by 3-5% because for the next two months it's going to all be "hmm the Clintons might be up to something shady because emails" without even actually bringing up Trump's actual bribery here, or scams and frauds.

Once the Khantroversy ended, the media started letting Trump get away with anything and have now even started to take his surrogates' BS attacks on Clinton seriously. I've accepted that Clinton will win by 3-5% because for the next two months it's going to all be "hmm the Clintons might be up to something shady because emails" without even actually bringing up Trump's actual bribery here, or scams and frauds.

Complete and total nonsense

But Hillary and emails something something. Right?

Seriously, no real evidence of "pay to play" for Hillary but it's been the big topic and now this is ostensibly a proven bribe and I am sure nothing will come of it.

Pam Bondi is terrible anyway. If you've lived in Central Florida, you're aware of the fact that the ISP situation is a literal shit show.

Verizon sold their FiOS territory out to Frontier Communications, who has proceeded to screw over the local population every which way. The AG (Bondi) was supposed to investigate this, and supposedly brought through "unprecedented changes" to benefit Floridians dealing with this issue. Fast forward 6 months and nothing has changed.

I've been without internet for nearly two months at my condo because of this situation. Its created a veritable monopoly for Bright House. Bondi has done fuck all to resolve the issue, which is her job. I hope she doesn't get re-elected.

This particular part of the story is new, as far as I'm aware.

I imagine if they actually did their jobs in the first place, this story could've been written months ago, when Trump U was making headlines, instead of most people just now finding about Pam Bondi. I'm sure there's more just like her, like Ken Paxton of Texas.

Revolver

I wish that how $25 million in tax debt that Trump owed the state of New Jersey was forgiven when his friend Chris Christie was elected would get some coverage too. The government had pursued Trump for six years for $30 million in back taxes that he owed the state and then Christie gets elected and Trump is able to clear his debt by paying a sixth of what was owed.

Trump had donated to his election campaign and known him for years and Christie handed over $25 million that could have gone to money for schools, healthcare, roads and bridges but instead went to an alleged billionaire.

Whatever you have to tell yourself, buddy. I prefer holding our press to a higher standard.

Which is fine, they should be, but holding them to a higher degree doesn't mean ignoring what is being done, or just flat out lying about what is being done.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Which is fine, they should be, but holding them to a higher degree doesn't mean ignoring what is being done, or just flat out lying about what is being done.
What am I lying about? The original story about this broke months ago and it came and went with most media outlets giving it a brief mention. Even the most low-effort investigative journalism should have turned up a public fundraiser at Trump's resort.

Meanwhile, we have multiple deep investigations into the Clinton Foundation that are published as multi page stories despite the fact that they haven't found anything.

What am I lying about? The original story about this broke months ago and it came and went with most media outlets giving it a brief mention. Even the most low-effort investigative journalism should have turned up a public fundraiser at Trump's resort.

Meanwhile, we have multiple deep investigations into the Clinton Foundation that are published as multi page stories despite the fact that they haven't found anything.

I'm just going to post my reply to exactly this rhetoric from you from another thread:

This really isn't true, and I don't know where this narrative is coming from, unless all you're watching is right-wing media. The general media has actually become very hard on Trump, his campaign, and his surrogates. The panel discussions you're talking about always end up being a Trump surrogate being completely bodied by everyone else on the likes of CNN and MSNBC, for instance. Briana Keiler was waging basically a one woman army against Trump aids and their bullshit when she was sitting in for Wolf on The Situation Room. And the Trump campaign has been called out multiple times because of his flip-flopping and all that shit.

Are they as hard as they should be? No, I will concede to that. The interview Anderson Cooper had with Trump after his bigotry comment is a good example, he should have pressed Trump much harder than he did instead of just asking the same question 6 times.

Are they trying too hard to make this into a race by covering Clinton's negatives? Yes, I agree there, too.

But no one outside the right-wing media is just giving Trump a pass, especially since the general election started. It could be better in that sense, but all you have to do is go to YouTube and you'll see plenty of criticism towards Trump, his surrogates, and his campaign. It may not be as hard-hitting as you want, or as it should be, but it's still there.

I should add I wasn't talking just to you there, but to anyone who seems to be under the impression that the media completely ignores all of Trump's negatives, and even rewards it in some way as another poster suggested. No, they aren't putting Trump and his campaign on blast in the way I agree they should, but it's frankly just flat out ignorant to try and paint the media as setting Trump in roses, either, unless the only media you're exposing yourself to is right-wing centric media or fear-mongering GAF political threads.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm just going to post my reply to exactly this rhetoric from you from another thread:

I should add I wasn't talking just to you there, but to anyone who seems to be under the impression that the media completely ignores all of Trump's negatives, and even rewards it in some way as another poster suggested. No, they aren't putting Trump and his campaign on blast in the way I agree they should, but it's frankly just flat out ignorant to try and paint the media as setting Trump in roses, either, unless the only media you're exposing yourself to is right-wing centric media or fear-mongering GAF political threads.
I didn't say they ignored them, but they don't seem to put much work into looking into things. Looks at Trump's "doctor's note" as another example. That thing was obviously bullshit when it was released last November, and yet it only got even the most basic attention last month, and only because the whole "Hillary is dying" narrative Trump is pushing. Otherwise, no one would have even given it a second thought, despite the fact that it's the easiest thing to look into.

remist

Thread page count comparisons are ridiculous. The reason hillary threads have more discussion is because there is actual disagreement. There is near universal agreement that Trump sucks.

Trump is basically caught bribing a political figure, something he joked about during the primary debates, and it's being ignored by everyone?

Hillary coughs and plays into a web-fueled conspiracy theory, and people can't stop talking about it.

Democracy is dead.

zethren

Banned
Trump is basically caught bribing a political figure, something he joked about during the primary debates, and it's being ignored by everyone?

Hillary coughs and plays into a web-fueled conspiracy theory, and people can't stop talking about it.

Democracy is dead.

It's fucking sickening.

This man cannot be allowed to be President.

Debirudog

Thread page count comparisons are ridiculous. The reason hillary threads have more discussion is because there is actual disagreement. There is near universal agreement that Trump sucks.

Yes, I too understand the serious weight and matter that is coughing.

Democracy is dead.
Yep it's pretty disgusting. I think level heads will prevail at the end of all this though. Really just want this election to be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom