• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s divisive presidency reshapes a key part of his private business

Slayven

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...405pm-1:homepage/story&utm_term=.5e73c8479c66

For two years, a shelter for victims of domestic violence called Safe+Sound Somerset held its fundraiser golf tournament at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J.

They loved it.

Then they quit it.

“Beautiful golf course. Beautiful facilities. We were treated well. But we couldn’t go back,” said Debbie Haroldsen, the charity’s acting executive director. President Trump’s campaign-trail comments about women and Mexicans had offended staff and clients. They found another course.

In Florida this year, the president’s politics attracted a new client for one of his businesses. Steven M. Alembik, a conservative activist, is planning a $600-per-seat gala at the Mar-a-Lago Club.

His logic: Trump helped Israel. So Alembik will help Trump in return.

“He’s got Israel’s back,” Alembik said. “We’ve got his back.’”

Trump’s divisive political career is reshaping a key — and previously apolitical — part of his business empire.

Trump-owned hotels and clubs have long made money by holding galas and other special events. Now, their clientele is changing. Trump’s properties are attracting new customers who want something from him or his government.

But they’re losing the kind of customers the business was originally built on: nonpolitical groups who just wanted to rent a room.

This summer, 19 charities canceled upcoming events at Mar-a-Lago — a major blow to that club’s business — after the president said there were “fine people” among white supremacists, neo-Nazis and members of the alt-right protesting to preserve a Confederate statue in Charlottesville. Dozens of other clients have left since Trump entered the 2016 presidential race.

2300-TRUMPBUSINESS09xx.jpg

Makes sense, peaked during the Apprentice

Although there is a argument for why charities are spending so much on fundraising.

Donate to small local charities for the most bang for the buck

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
He shouldn't even have a private business that his fucking presidency can affect.

jmood88

He's able to get by with the people who want his favor but it's going to be really rough once he's out of office and people don't have to suck up to him anymore. Those charities and businesses that left because of politics will never come back.

KDR_11k

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what the emoluments clause is for...

Although there is a argument for why charities are spending so much on fundraising.

My guess would be that they got to use the facilities for free/greatly reduced cost.

Teh Lurv

I read previously that the Trump business organization is retooling the brand to appeal to "red-state" voters. The first venture being planned is a line of Trump economy hotels in states Trump carried by a wide margin.

I read previously that the Trump business organization is retooling the brand to appeal to "red-state" voters. The first venture being planned is a line of Trump economy hotels in states Trump carried by a wide margin.

Thing is 90% of his base can never afford the fucking shit he sells or even live close to a place with Trump branded products or buildings. After his presidency is done so is his brand.

Teh Lurv

Thing is 90% of his base can never afford the fucking shit he sells or even live close to a place with Trump branded products or buildings. After his presidency is done so is his brand.

That's why they're economy hotels, the trump org knows the high end market brand is damaged for the foreseeable future.

He's able to get by with the people who want his favor but it's going to be really rough once he's out of office and people don't have to suck up to him anymore. Those charities and businesses that left because of politics will never come back.

Yeah. I'm waiting for the entire empire to crumble once he's out of office.

Future

I wonder if it was these business clientele changes that made trump realize people fucking hate him. You can claim fake news on polls all day long, but can't say much really about businesses losing clients.

Zolo

Yeah. I'm waiting for the entire empire to crumble once he's out of office.

I'd personally put bets on Trump having a heart attack or something before seeing that. His family (or whoever inherits the Trump empire) will see the downsides to their father's shit though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...405pm-1:homepage/story&utm_term=.5e73c8479c66

Makes sense, peaked during the Apprentice

Donate to small local charities for the most bang for the buck

Outside of direct services, small local charities often have many inherent inefficiencies that harm their effectiveness as well. Off-topic, but charities spending a lot on fundraising isn't an ill in and of itself, it's all a matter of what a dollar spent in fundraising (marketing) gets them in revenue. Not overly different from the calculus of a for-profit spending money on marketing/R&D.

But on topic.. glad to see his business taking a hit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I think Trump trailer parks and rehab clinics might play to his base better.

Wag

In Florida this year, the president’s politics attracted a new client for one of his businesses. Steven M. Alembik, a conservative activist, is planning a $600-per-seat gala at the Mar-a-Lago Club.

His logic: Trump helped Israel. So Alembik will help Trump in return.

“He’s got Israel’s back,” Alembik said. “We’ve got his back.’”

Hey, dumbass! The only reason why Trump is "helping" Israel is for the Evangelical "Christian Zionist" support. They don't give two shits about the Jews.

Top Bottom