• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Trump’s time at his golf club hurt the response to Maria

Oersted

At first, the Trump administration seemed to be doing all the right things to respond to the disaster in Puerto Rico.

As Hurricane Maria made landfall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, there was a frenzy of activity publicly and privately. The next day, President Trump called local officials on the island, issued an emergency declaration and pledged that all federal resources would be directed to help.

But then for four days after that — as storm-ravaged Puerto Rico struggled for food and water amid the darkness of power outages — Trump and his top aides effectively went dark themselves.

Read it in full here, its worth it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...92ed0a-a522-11e7-8c37-e1d99ad6aa22_story.html

Some bonus quotes

Trump did hold a meeting at his golf club that Friday with half a dozen Cabinet officials — including acting Homeland Security secretary Elaine Duke, who oversees disaster response — but the gathering was to discuss his new travel ban, not the hurricane. Duke and Trump spoke briefly about Puerto Rico but did not talk again until Tuesday, an administration official said.

Trump's public schedule Monday was devoid of any meetings related to the storm, but he was becoming frustrated by the coverage he was seeing on TV, the senior official said.

Lock if old

SpaceWolf

Banned
tumblr_inline_o0cabgqf3K1qgk5jl_250.gif

Raxus

This man fucking complained about Obama golfing and now is almost literally playing the fiddle as Rome burns.

Chumly

This man fucking complained about Obama golfing and now is almost literally playing the fiddle as Rome burns.
Yep. Meanwhile practically every republican makes up some excuse how it's not the same and trump is really working. Fuck them

ACLU is on it.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The American Civil Liberties Union on Friday launched the first legal challenge to President Donald Trump’s new restrictions on people entering the United States from eight countries.

The civil rights group said in a statement that it will seek to amend an existing lawsuit in Maryland federal court that was filed against Trump’s previous March 6 ban.

In a letter filed with U.S. District Court Judge Theodore Chuang, the ACLU said the new proposal announced on Sunday violates the U.S. Constitution as well as federal immigration law.

“President Trump’s newest travel ban is still a Muslim ban at its core, and it certainly engages in discrimination based on national origin, which is unlawful,” said the ACLU’s executive director, Anthony Romero.

“We’ll see President Trump in court - again,” he added.

DarkKyo

You still can't get any admission of hypocrisy out of Trump, his admin, or his supporters on this topic and it's fucking ridiculous and obvious the sheer level of hypocrisy that exists there.

Whales

Banned
Trump did hold a meeting at his golf club that Friday with half a dozen Cabinet officials — including acting Homeland Security secretary Elaine Duke, who oversees disaster response — but the gathering was to discuss his new travel ban, not the hurricane

this dude is fucking trash

piece of garbage human being, fuck you trump

ACLU is on it.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The American Civil Liberties Union on Friday launched the first legal challenge to President Donald Trump's new restrictions on people entering the United States from eight countries.

The civil rights group said in a statement that it will seek to amend an existing lawsuit in Maryland federal court that was filed against Trump's previous March 6 ban.

In a letter filed with U.S. District Court Judge Theodore Chuang, the ACLU said the new proposal announced on Sunday violates the U.S. Constitution as well as federal immigration law.

”President Trump's newest travel ban is still a Muslim ban at its core, and it certainly engages in discrimination based on national origin, which is unlawful," said the ACLU's executive director, Anthony Romero.

”We'll see President Trump in court - again," he added.

I think many people here hate the ACLU now, ever since they found out they defended the free speech of Nazis.

Garlador

Is this guy the worst president in the history of this nation yet?

Serious question.

Well, William Henry Harrison died after just a month, but at least he gave a really good speech once.

Andrew Jackson is the reason thousands of my Native American ancestors died and why my grandmother was raised on a reservation in nowhere Oklahoma.

James Buchanan is still one of the worst ranked by his failure to address or stop the Civil War...

Nixon, of course, is short-hand for "corruption" these days.

Though all of these presidents at had at least SOME positives to them that made them effective politicians long before they held the presidency.

Trump... I don't know. History will be unkind, I think, but history is also written by the victors and we don't yet know where this battle is taking us.

Well, William Henry Harrison died after just a month, but at least he gave a really good speech once.

Andrew Jackson is the reason thousands of my Native American ancestors died and why my grandmother was raised on a reservation in nowhere Oklahoma.

James Buchanan is still one of the worst ranked by his failure to address or stop the Civil War...

Though all of these presidents at had at least SOME positives to them that made them effective politicians long before they held the presidency.

Trump... I don't know. History will be unkind, I think, but history is also written by the victors and we don't yet know where this battle is taking us.

Hmmm less than a year in, so he's got 3 more - god forbid another term. But shit so he's already 4th place in 9 months.

On his way to breaking top 3 by term end then.

There was a guy named W who destabilized the entire middle east over a family grudge

I think many people here hate the ACLU now, ever since they found out they defended the free speech of Nazis.

"Make no mistake — the views expressed by Steve Bannon, Ann Coulter and Milo Yiannopoulos are about bigotry and racism," the regional branch of the ACLU said in a statement. "While the Constitution protects the expression of those views, let’s be clear that this event is about spreading hate and intolerance, not free speech."

They didn't for the Milo week.

Zophar

People deride Trump as a M-F, 9-5 President, but even that's too generous.

This fucker can't even put in the bare minimum expectations for the -most important job in the nation- and he's pissed the media is pointing this out. Unbelievable.

Trump's public schedule Monday was devoid of any meetings related to the storm, but he was becoming frustrated by the coverage he was seeing on TV, the senior official said.

He's frustrated that he has to hear about a national tragedy. Let that sink in. He doesn't care and he doesn't want to care. He cares so little he's actively hurting relief efforts.

San Juan's mayor was on to something. Trump's just shy of being a genocidal maniac.

EDIT:

From the recent thread regarding Trump's tweets about Puerto Rico:

D5aLqqB.jpg

He said it needs to be a "community effort" but wants nothing to do with it, the hypocrite (not to mention the asinine pot shots at the people calling for aid). He has the nerve to boast that he's doing a "good job" and has the nerve to be frustrated that it requires more than a day's effort.

Supast4r

Serious question.
Andrew Jackson caused a mass genocide of native Americans.

Andrew Johnson fucked up the post civil war period so hard that we still it's effects today.

James Harding stole millions from the US government in a crazy scandal.

James Buchanan helped cause the civil war and did nothing to stop it from happening.

George W Bush fucked up Katrina, went out of his way to murder millions in the middle East to continue his father's wars, helped fuck up the US economy, etc.

Trump is probably 6 worst president imho but he can get worse....

"Make no mistake — the views expressed by Steve Bannon, Ann Coulter and Milo Yiannopoulos are about bigotry and racism," the regional branch of the ACLU said in a statement. "While the Constitution protects the expression of those views, let’s be clear that this event is about spreading hate and intolerance, not free speech."

They didn't for the Milo week.

They didn't defend his actions or rhetoric. But the ACLU absolutely would have defended their right to speak if the university rescinded their slot.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
What was this about?

911 had already happened. He was made aware and kept reading a children's book to an elementary school class.

I think he left when the second plane hit the WTC.

I hated Bush, but it's a bit petty and he is clearly concentrate/in shock and left once it was clear it was an attack.

Snaku

Banned
I feel like he got really excited and energized with Harvey, but then Irma and Maria happened so close together right afterwards and he got bored and frustrated with dealing with hurricanes and all the meetings and just wanted to go back to his golf clubs. He just doesn't want to do the actual job of being president, and it's become a bigger problem now because people are fucking dying because he's a lazy piece of shit.

RDreamer

Serious question.

No.

Bush did some shit that will echo for decades more. To be fair, some of Trump's shit will echo for a very long time but I don't think he's done anything quite as hellish as Bush... yet. He still has a lot of time and at this trajectory he'll get there. But Bush is hands down worse.

I find it amazing that basically anyone working in a business and showing a similar „attitude to work“ as Trump does would be fired quite fast.
This dude keeps on doing nothing constructive, but instead behaves like a drunken toddler of goes golfing..

Zabka

911 had already happened. He was made aware and kept reading a children's book to an elementary school class.

I think he left when the second plane hit the WTC.

I hated Bush, but it's a bit petty and he is clearly concentrate/in shock and left once it was clear it was an attack.

He left seven minutes after the second plane hit.

Fair to say that if Trump had been around in the 1800's he would've done the same shit as Jackson and Buchanan, if not worse. He's a sociopath. As evidenced by his complete lack of concern for Puerto Rico, even though they are American citizens. If they weren't American citizens, I think we can be sure he wouldn't be lifting a finger.

Nixon was a corrupt bastard, but he also founded the EPA. That alone saves him from the worst of the list IMO.

Dubya was pretty bad; allowing torture, invasion of countries for personal grudges, etc. At least he didn't seem to be an overt racist, he wanted to improve relations with Mexico and address immigration reform, and he generally, despite his good ole boy persona, treated the office with dignity.

Trump, on top of his vile, rampant racism and misogyny, is also allowing foreign interests to run roughshod over our democracy, and it seems likely that he used foreign manipulations in order to win the presidency. He's surrounded himself with fascists, crackpots, and people who want to destabilize the nation. He has made himself an enemy of the people he's supposed to serve. I have no doubts in my mind that he's the worst President this country has ever had, and he represents a clear and present danger to it.

JordanN

Banned
There was a guy named W who destabilized the entire middle east over a family grudge

Trump will one up that when he goes to war with North Korea, and then Mexico when he can't get bill them for the wall.

And unlike all the other presidents, Trump is the only to openly call for the use of nuclear weapons. So there's that too.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fair to say that if Trump had been around in the 1800's he would've done the same shit as Jackson and Buchanan, if not worse. He's a sociopath. As evidenced by his complete lack of concern for Puerto Rico, even though they are American citizens. If they weren't American citizens, I think we can be sure he wouldn't be lifting a finger.

Nixon was a corrupt bastard, but he also founded the EPA. That alone saves him from the worst of the list IMO.

Dubya was pretty bad; allowing torture, invasion of countries for personal grudges, etc. At least he didn't seem to be an overt racist, he wanted to improve relations with Mexico and address immigration reform, and he generally, despite his good ole boy persona, treated the office with dignity.

Trump, on top of his vile, rampant racism and misogyny, is also allowing foreign interests to run roughshod over our democracy, and it seems likely that he used foreign manipulations in order to win the presidency. He's surrounded himself with fascists, crackpots, and people who want to destabilize the nation. He has made himself an enemy of the people he's supposed to serve. I have no doubts in my mind that he's the worst President this country has ever had, and he represents a clear and present danger to it.

Agreed. Nixon and W had many problems but redeemable qualities. Trump has none.

JordanN

Banned
Agreed. Nixon and W had many problems but redeemable qualities. Trump has none.

W is forever an asshole, for invading another country under false pretenses and never went to court for it.

Which is pretty damming when you think about. If Bush was jailed immediately, would countries like Russia never have tried invading Ukraine if they saw international law go flagrantly ignored?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
W is forever an asshole, for invading another country under false pretenses and never went to court for it.

Which is pretty damming when you think about. If Bush was jailed immediately, would countries like Russia never have tried invading Ukraine if they saw international law go flagrantly ignored?

In not saying he was good. And as horrible that is it is damage to other countries. Trump damages all countries, the Presidency, and humanity.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Not only that but a family grudge that was hyped up by people invested in the only company on earth that would profit from a protracted war in Iraq. And w was still literally leagues smarter and more competent than Trump.

People would always soften attacks on w with the meaningless but allegedly true anecdote that he was a great guy to grab a beer with.

At no point has an insider or believable hanger on ever expressed anything other than deep loathing for the man.

He’s literally one of the worst Americans ever to roam the land and without hyperbole the stupidest and most selfish and incompetent president by miles.

If Trump is kept above the bottom of the list, it will be because he and his party are too incompetent and disfunctional to enact their agenda, and not because of any redeeming value or positive accomplishments.

Volimar

The sheer fucking audacity to talk shit about the mayor of San Juan from a fucking golf course. This man is so vile.

Not only that but a family grudge that was hyped up by people invested in the only company on earth that would profit from a protracted war in Iraq. And w was still literally leagues smarter and more competent than Trump.

People would always soften attacks on w with the meaningless but allegedly true anecdote that he was a great guy to grab a beer with.

At no point has an insider or believable hanger on ever expressed anything other than deep loathing for the man.

He’s literally one of the worst Americans ever to roam the land and without hyperbole the stupidest and most selfish and incompetent president by miles.

Perhaps I've forgotten.

It's been years and yes we have had eight whole years of another president and in that time the internet has grown and the world has shifted as a whole...

Going off of that id assume yes Bush would also be hated as much if not waaaaaay more than trump now, in a way Bush got off lucky he served his time in that age instead of now.

SaviourMK2

Andrew Jackson caused a mass genocide of native Americans.

Andrew Johnson fucked up the post civil war period so hard that we still it's effects today.

James Harding stole millions from the US government in a crazy scandal.

James Buchanan helped cause the civil war and did nothing to stop it from happening.

George W Bush fucked up Katrina, went out of his way to murder millions in the middle East to continue his father's wars, helped fuck up the US economy, etc.

Trump is probably 6 worst president imho but he can get worse....

Bastard, I spent almost 2 hours learning about some of these guys that branched off into me reading about some other things.

Top Bottom