• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games- Shadow of the Eternals Crowdsourcing + Kickstarter [canceled]

krizzx

Just PC and Wii U? Come on, you can get it on PS3 and XBLA too. I don't know how to feel about it being episodic. Sure Walking Dead was awesome, but telltale missed the mark a few times.

Also, all depends on how much they are charging for one episode. And 1.5 mil? Good luck with that.

Port begging this early?

Though, if they truly intend for this show next gen levels of fidelity like the video demonstrated, then putting it on the PS3 and XBLA would require to much downscaling.

Pooya

so there are only 9 people on their team? and that's including their 'Forum Moderator'? There are only 6 people on Linkedin at Precursor Games which are the same people as the list on the site.

I don't think this is Silicon Knights, pretty much only it's top level management :b I think everyone else went elsewhere, somewhere better...

It's not really too different to Kickstarter in that there's no legal obligation for the people behind these campaigns to deliver on their promises, and you just have to go by their reputation (and what they'd lose if they screwed everyone over).

With that in mind however, I think you'd have to be certifiable to donate money to a new company helmed by Dennis Dyack! This guy's reputation is already mud, and his most recent promise of a trilogy of Too Human games was most definitely not fulfilled.

Mithos

This is absolutely my kind of game. BUT it also raises the same questions other have already asked.

Was that demo running on Wii U or PC.
What will Nintendo have to say about this and the sanity stuff.
How much will all 12 episodes cost if I wait and buy them after its confirmed that they will actually be released, right now its $50 for all 12 episodes if I take a chance.

gngf123

Yeah this is looking pretty shady...

As much as I would like a good Eternal Darkness sequel, I think I'll be giving this donation campaign a miss. Sorry guys.

RPGCrazied

I'm not port begging. I was just asking why, if on the Wii U(with lesser units out there), would it not get released on the other 2 consoles(which has a bigger install base). I don't care if it doesn't get on all consoles. Was just a question.

Nugg

From the FAQ:

What happens if you do not reach your goal?

Our financial goal is a flexible one, and Precursor Games is committed to creating Shadow of the Eternals. All contributions will go directly towards the development of this game and making it a reality.

That's why they don't use Kickstarted. They keep your money even if the goal is never met. This is pretty shady.

Xater

It's not really too different to Kickstarter in that there's no legal obligation for the people behind these campaigns to deliver on their promises, and you just have to go by their reputation (and what they'd lose if they screwed everyone over).

With that in mind however, I think you'd have to be certifiable to donate money to a new company helmed by Dennis Dyack! This guy's reputation is already mud, and his most recent promise of a trilogy of Too Human games was most definitely not fulfilled.

It's different because even if they don't reach their goal your money is gone. On Kickstarter there is a bigger chance of success because the money only goas to the people if the goal is reached.

I'm not port begging. I was just asking why, if on the Wii U(with lesser units out there), would it not get released on the other 2 consoles(which has a bigger install base). I don't care if it doesn't get on all consoles. Was just a question.
To avoid Nintendo's wrath? If they got the Insanity meter and other elements of the Eternal Darkness Ip they need to stick with Ninty, I don't know if they'd mind a PC version of one of their less known Ips but a PSN or Xbox Arcade game is a big no, no.

Van Owen

Banned
Thing is definitely sketchy. Nintendo clearly must own the ED trademark since this is only a "spiritual successor" along with environments and scenerios and that cathedral is right out of ED. Same layout and everything. Dyack could have another lawsuit on his hands.

Thorakai

Probably designed to get hardcore Nintendo fans to fund the game and/or convince Nintendo proper to invest. The whole thing is banking on the Eternal Darkness name and the best way to further push that is to make it Wii U 'exclusive' essentially.

Funds! Rot their funds...! Their nostalgia-pandering sees through your soul like looking through a window... And the terms... festooned with tiny, hook-like disclaimers...that gape and gnash... It doesn't make sense...no game development would work like that...but it has!! Was it natural? How could it be? Oh unholy beast, thou must be killed, lest you corrupt my world!

Funds! Rot their funds...! Their nostalgia-pandering sees through your soul like looking through a window... And the terms... festooned with tiny, hook-like disclaimers...that gape and gnash... It doesn't make sense...no game development would work like that...but it has!! Was it natural? How could it be? Oh unholy beast, thou must be killed, lest you corrupt my world!
This..... can't ......be .......HAPENING!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Have at thee! HAVE AT THEE!

Hiltz

I don't expect this game to meet its goal so there's no point in trying to get too excited about it. It seems like Precursor is trying to tiptoe around the publishing rights and patents Nintendo's got on the Eternal Darkness IP. In addition, given how the team consists of less than 10 guys, I don't blame Nintendo for not feeling comfortable supporting it. However, if there's nothing shady going on and if Precursor had more staff, then yeah, I think Nintendo would be passing up on a potentially cool offer. They need all the second-party exclusives they can get, and it would be nice to see more mature IPs anyway. It's a shame too, since Eternal Darkness makes a lot of sense to bring to Wii U due to the convenience and of the GamePad to put the inventory screen on without having to constantly pause the game.

8vEMYTO.jpg

There's no way I'd donate money to Dyack for a game not coming out until the end of 2014 at the earliest. I also doubt that $1.5 million can get them through the first episode at the production quality they're promising.

Xater

Looks interesting, obviously it's far from finished.
Also, I want insanity effects!

I don't know if cutscenes and a dude walking around counts as interesting...

Also two of the most important things are nowhere to be seen, the combat and the insanity effects.

kazebyaka

Banned
I predict this: They will fund their campaign and will develop a game like usual, but at the end of a deadline they will say "Sorry, we need moar money, plz pledge more". And they'll leach gamers like Dyack leached money from Activision, while developing something else entirely.

no seriously this is like some kind of horrible nightmare

a cryengine powered spiritual sequel to eternal darkness for wii u/pc is like something taken directly out of my brain's deepest wrinkle, but everything else about this is some twisted abomination

prag16

Banned
Only US and UK residents can.

Anyway, from what I understand, they take your money even if they do not reach their goal as they say it's "flexible".

I'd hope this means that they are guaranteed to release AT LEAST the first episode regardless. That'd suck hard for anyone who donated, and the game doesn't even come out...

duckroll

no seriously this is like some kind of horrible nightmare

a cryengine powered spiritual sequel to eternal darkness for wii u/pc is like something taken directly out of my brain's deepest wrinkle, but everything else about this is some twisted abomination

It's just a sanity effect.

scitek

3. No Obligation. Precursor Games will use its commercially reasonable efforts to develop and produce the Game, and will apply all donations to the development and production of the Game and the other rewards. However, circumstances outside of Precursor Games’ control may make it impossible for Precursor Games to complete production of the Game or other rewards. Precursor Games is under no obligation to complete the Game, or in the event completion is impossible, return any of the donations it has received. Precursor Games does not currently have a firm date for release of the Game[, but we expect to post updates on a regular basis].

Yeeeep.

statham

They don't have to complete the game and no refunds. I hope they don't get another dollar.

EDIT: they even gave themselves an out on the rewards too?!

scitek

They don't have to complete the game and no refunds. I hope they don't get another dollar.

EDIT: they even gave themselves an out on the rewards too?!

My guess is, at this point, Dyack really doesn't like contracts.

EDIT: That is, contracts that keep him in line.

Sadist

My master has other ways of acquiring the right tools and funds to mold his vision of gamedevelopment. Come, set into darkness. The gods of old will thank you.

Ahem.

Anyway; I always wanted a sequel to Eternal Darkness, but not like this. Good luck getting your cash.

Top Bottom