• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games- Shadow of the Eternals Crowdsourcing + Kickstarter [canceled]

my question is; how Denis Dyack is going work around the two patent Nintendo has on Eternal Darkness?

edit:

Emily Rogers‏@Emi1yRogers
I wonder how Dyack will get around Nintendo's two Eternal Darkness patents. 1st patent: Sanity meter. 2nd patent: http://tinyurl.com/crdv426
How does the second patent even hold weight at this point? In laymen's term, it's contextual interaction with objects within environments, and loading/playing out specific output based on context. Many games do this now.

duckroll

Awful. Like a slow motion trainwreck. I hope these people don't regret wasting their time and money.

I wonder if they're seeding some of the money on their own to make it seem like it's going smoothly, so people let their guard down and think there are others donating so it should be okay.

Linkhero1

I wonder if they're seeding some of the money on their own to make it seem like it's going smoothly, so people let their guard down and think there are others donating so it should be okay.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. It's going to end badly. I can see it from here.

I wonder who those last two characters are on the characters page.

character_tba15.jpg

character_tba14.jpg

WHY

So why are people being so negative already? Cry engine 3 licencing is expensive, they have the game up and running and most of the stuff looks cool (good graphics, animation, lighting, sound etc).

This sounds like DmC all over again...

jmizzal

Nintendo will either pick up the game, or they will sue and either cancel the game or they will have to change it.

I think Dyack really wants Nintendo to pick up the game.

Nintendo prob knows about it, Dyack cant be that stupid to cause another lawsuit after the Epic thing.

Nintendo prob told them if they can get funding and dont use the ED name and also only console they put it on is WiiU, they are ok with it.

scitek

In all seriousness, I would like for this to work out, and for Dyack to be good on his word, and to release a kickass game. I don't think it would be anything but good for everyone, but at this point I just can't trust this company enough to just give them money. If everything works out, I'll be able to buy the game when it releases, and that'll be enough support for me.

jmizzal

So why are people being so negative already? Cry engine 3 licencing is expensive, they have the game up and running and most of the stuff looks cool (good graphics, animation, lighting, sound etc).

Dyack is hated on GAF, yes its self inflected but I agree what we see is that it is legit stuff.

OnPoint

Man... this has got to be one of the shadiest things I've seen in a long time. I really want this sequel, but not like this. Not like this at all.

ArjanN

Is the sanity effect/meter thing even a big deal? Because a bunch of games since like Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth and Amnesia have basically had the exact same mechanic.

Trigger

This sarcasm is too subtle.

Just look at the gameplay demo. I thought I was looking at a remake. This "spiritual" successor could be ED2 if you changed the name. No one would even question it. Well not surprising because at one point it was.

Seriously. Charlemagne's courier? A monk who is investigating a murder of his fellow monk? Those are literally exact scenarios from the first game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just look at the gameplay demo. I thought I was looking at a remake. This "spiritual" successor could be ED2 if you changed the name. No one would even question it. Well not surprising because at one point it was.

Shadows of the Eternals is simply a fancy way to say Eternal Darkness.

Well, not donating now. They should have done a kickstarter instead. Wonder why they didn't.
This should be highlighted at OP (and become more common knowledge)

Kickstarter is "US exclusive" as it uses Amazon payment, which requires the account holder to be a US citizen: Who is eligible to start a Kickstarter project?

Projects outside of US/UK are started with someone who can actually meet those requirements, or found a proxy that can do that for them.

duckroll

Would to donate money to people who allegedly took their last publisher for a ride and then ran their own company into the ground? Especially after they tell you that they're going to take your money and are under no obligation to give you a product? Lol.

Tenki

I may be a bit dense today, but taking a look at the Sane Supporter tier, for example:

SANE SUPPORTER : $25.00
Receive the following rewards:

• Shadow of the Eternals Episodes 1-6
• First Episode is FREE

Do you receive Episodes from 1 to 6 or just the first one? Do you have to pay 2 to 6 too?

disap.ed

Maybe the campaign ends just before E3 starts because Nintendo will show Retro's ED2 there :)

I may be a bit dense today, but taking a look at the Sane Supporter tier, for example:

Do you receive Episodes from 1 to 6 or just the first one? Do you have to pay 2 to 6 too?

I was asking myself too what this means...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Doesn't indiegogo have to reach the goal before it takes your money?

The person who hosts the campaign on Indiegog can either set it to flexible funding (which means they get the money even if it doesn't reach the goal, but Indiegogo takes a 9% cut unless you reach your goal, which then is a 4% cut), or fixed funding (only receive money if you reach your goal, 4% cut).

Dyack is hated on GAF, yes its self inflected but I agree what we see is that it is legit stuff.

oh, that's too bad then. Sure SK failed hard on Xbox 360, but like everything in life they should be given another chance to prove themselves. They shouldn't quit just because they failed once.

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo prob knows about it, Dyack cant be that stupid to cause another lawsuit after the Epic thing.

Nintendo prob told them if they can get funding and dont use the ED name and also only console they put it on is WiiU, they are ok with it.

Yeah maybe.

Effect

No way in hell would Nintendo would be okay with that type of deal. They're control freaks regarding anything they have ownership of or rights to. Then there are the legal issues surrounding Dyack. They likely wouldn't want to be near him. It's just a question of how quickly does the C&D letter goes out now that this has been officially announced.

Projects outside of US/UK are started with someone who can actually meet those requirements, or found a proxy that can do that for them.

Bingo. There are plenty of successful non US/UK kickstarters (ie: Castle Story) but they all have to be piped through a US/UK proxy who will end up dealing with the IRS and such.

Kusagari

The person who hosts the campaign on Indiegog can either set it to flexible funding (which means they get the money even if it doesn't reach the goal, but Indiegogo takes a 9% cut unless you reach your goal, which then is a 4% cut), or fixed funding (only receive money if you reach your goal, 4% cut).

Ahh, I didn't know that. My only experience with it is through the Skullgirls campaign.

That first option is pretty shady.

Malvingt2

How does the second patent even hold weight at this point? In laymen's term, it's contextual interaction with objects within environments, and loading/playing out specific output based on context. Many games do this now.

I don't know...but it is there..

Nugg

At this point, I'm sure Nintendo would be ok with pretty much anything as long as there is something released on Wii U

scitek

I think the episodes will cost $5 a piece, totaling a $60 product when all 12 are done, and with a $25 donation, that'd only be enough to cover 5 eps, so they'll give you an extra "free."

Pretty much what I thoughts as well. I wonder how much work this small team has done and what was done back when a bigger team at Silicon Knights was working on it.

Top Bottom