• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games- Shadow of the Eternals Crowdsourcing + Kickstarter [canceled]

mAcOdIn

So why is it Wii U only, then (excluding PC)? Why not Xbox 360 / PS3? I mean, if this hits close to home for the big N just by virtue of what it is, doesn't listing it as a Wii U game rub salt in that wound? That seems like a weird thing to do if you're treading on thin ice, unless you've a go ahead. Why would Nintendo care to fund it themselves when they can pass the risk on to Precursor who simply passes the risk on to the consumer? That's good business for a company hurting for games, no?
You know, I agree with you, and before I would have agreed that you're making total sense, but then the Kickstarter campaign for Shadowrun Returns happened and apparently up until a few months ago, well after it had been funded, they didn't even know how they'd be allowed to sell the game! So now I never assume anyone's done their homework.

What a scam. Whoever donates to these guys must be laundering money.

Edit: Maybe the money-laundering aspect is why donations are only open to the US and Canada. LOL

Malvingt2

LDgPsHz.jpg

lol well done.

Patryn

Yea great point given their shady past. I will buy it if it's any good, but I am not donating any money either.

They probably want to build a positive reputation among the development and publishing companies, so they changed their name. lol

Or it's to shield these funds from Epic. Doesn't SK still owe them several million dollars?

Or it's to shield these funds from Epic. Doesn't SK still owe them several million dollars?

Dunno too much about accounting, but Epic can't do anything after Silicon Knights declares bankruptcy. All their tangible assets would be sold and Epic will get x amount of funds after the sale of the assets

Linkhero1

So why is it Wii U only, then (excluding PC)? Why not Xbox 360 / PS3? I mean, if this hits close to home for the big N just by virtue of what it is, doesn't listing it as a Wii U game rub salt in that wound? That seems like a weird thing to do if you're treading on thin ice, unless you've a go ahead. Why would Nintendo care to fund it themselves when they can pass the risk on to Precursor who simply passes the risk on to the consumer? That's good business for a company hurting for games, no?

I don't think that's how Nintendo operates. And if Nintendo were truly behind it then Precursor's ToS wouldn't be worded so poorly with the possibility of it being canned for external reasons. This seems more like a cry for Nintendo's attention than anything else.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Kickstarter is only available to UK and US citizens, these guys are based in Canada.

Awww, what a shame...

Mifune

Mehmber
This hurts me.

Game looks cool. Story with the interrogations sounds dope as hell. But there's no way I can fund this. Maybe as time goes on and I'm seeing how transparent the whole process is, but not now. And I know there are other huge ED fans out there who feel the same way. There's no way this is going to reach the $1.5 million "goal."

cappies

Sorry for the confusion, we have updated our FAQ

What happens if you do not reach your goal *UPDATED*?

Our financial goal is a flexible one. All contributions will go directly towards the development of this game and making it a reality. We are committed to making this game, however, if it becomes apparent that we cannot raise enough to develop this project then we will refund all pledges.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/faq/

Sadist

I still don't get the "A demo of Eternal Darkness 2 was worked on whcih they could take to publishers" line. They could only pitch this at Nintendo right?

Persona7

Banned
I can't believe people still believe that SK actually received that canadian grant money.

I just came across an argument someone just posted about their tax dollars being wasted.

I still don't get the "A demo of Eternal Darkness 2 was worked on whcih they could take to publishers" line. They could only pitch this at Nintendo right?

Maybe they were doing the spiritual sequel thing well before this latest event.

Spoo

I don't think that's how Nintendo operates. And if Nintendo were truly behind it then Precursor's ToS wouldn't be worded so poorly with the possibility of it being canned for external reasons. This seems more like a cry for Nintendo's attention than anything else.

I guess if I was Nintendo (and granted, I'm not), I'd be hedging my bets. I've still got ED2, so letting Precursor go off and make a kind of spin-of doesn't damage what I'd like to do with that -- as the same time, I'm not stupid, so I can see that SotE is cribbing the core ideas, so I'd hover that over Precursor with a loosely-defined "It has to be exclusive to our system" statement, and just wait and see what happens. It seems to me a 0-risk potential gain scenario. But again, the strongest evidence is that Xbox360/PS3 are out of the picture -- that seems, quite frankly, a stupid thing to do when it's probably *easier* getting your game out on PSN/Xbox Arcade for episodes than Nintendo's. And with the history there, I don't think you say "It's coming out on Wii U" unless Nintendo knows about it before hand. Just a total guess, though.

Anyone who funds this deserves to be ripped off. You might as well give your money to Bernie Madoff next. It will be fun watching this train wreck from a distance.

Sorry but your unless you update your Terms of Use the faq is straight up BS.

It reads to me like the FAQ is just intentionally confusing. If, say, they are only able to raise $500k will they refund money like kick starter? Nope. They will just scale back development and/or shop around for additional investors and keep your money under the guise that they still intend to make the game.

syllogism

Sorry but your unless you update your Terms of Use the faq is straight up BS.
What's on their faq can be just as binding as what is labeled as the terms of use, in particular when the overriding faq provision is newer. Not that what you quoted is strictly contradictory anyway
It reads to me like the FAQ is just intentionally confusing. If, say, they are only able to raise $500k will they refund money like kick starter? Nope. They will just scale back development and/or shop around for additional investors and keep your money under the guise that they still intend to make the game.
Kickstarters aren't really any better in this regard as the initial goals are completely inadequate for actually delivering what they are promising

Kusagari

lol that change to the FAQ means nothing. Even if they don't reach the goal they can still say they've heard from investors and thus can still act like they can reach enough to develop the project.

What's on their faq can be just as binding as what is labeled as the terms of use, in particular when the overriding faq provision is newer. Not that what you quoted is strictly contradictory anyway

Kickstarters aren't really any better in this regard as the initial goals are completely inadequate for actually delivering what they are promising

I'm as cautious with most kickstarters and they iffer their own level of risk but at least they offer that one set goal. This offers no protection for the investors.

The demo looked good, but in all honestly even if this game becomes a reality who says that it will play amazing? Eternal Darkness had terrible clunky combat. The reason why I loved that game was because of the story, world and its characters (along with the nice visual/audio tricks they used). If this ever happens it should at least play a lot better than Eternal Darkness or we will end up with a promising game with terrible execution.

wrowa

Why would they be limited to Nintendo? If they go the "spiritual successor" route everyone can publish it.

But, yeah, I don't know how much a "spiritual" in front of "successor" gives you the freedom to do anything you want. What they've shown in the gameplay demo really looks like taken straight out of ED1. I guess you could argue that they are using Nintendo's property, even though they're not calling it ED2.

But then again, maybe they did have cleared this stuff with Nintendo before hand. Who knows. Would be nice if they could clarify this matter and talk about the legal situation behind the game a lot more. It's quite important after all if they want us to pledge our money for it -- if I pledge, I want to be certain that no 3rd party has the legal grounds to C&D them. I don't want to fear that their only weapon against a C&D are the hopes that Nintendo a) doesn't care about all things ED and b) they won't send a C&D because they fear bad press if they shut down a publically funded project and thus are "stealing money from the gamers".

And, yeah, the change in the FAQ is strange. So, is it flexible or is not? You've got to decide. You can't say you've got a flexible goal, but then claim you'll refund if you won't reach mystery number X.

Malvingt2

Why would they be limited to Nintendo? If they go the "spiritual successor" route everyone can publish it.

But, yeah, I don't know how much a "spiritual" in front of "successor" gives you the freedom to do anything you want. What they've shown in the gameplay demo really looks like taken straight out of ED1. I guess you could argue that they are using Nintendo's property, even though they're not calling it ED2.

But then again, maybe they did have cleared this stuff with Nintendo before hand. Who knows. Would be nice if they could clarify this matter and talk about the legal situation behind the game a lot more. It's quite important after all if they want us to pledge our money for it -- if I pledge, I want to be certain that no 3rd party has the legal grounds to C&D them. I don't want to fear that their only weapon against a C&D are the hopes that Nintendo a) doesn't care about all things ED and b) they won't send a C&D because they fear bad press if they shut down a publically funded project and thus are "stealing money from the gamers".

And, yeah, the change in the FAQ is strange. So, is it flexible or is not? You've got to decide. You can't say you've got a flexible goal, but then claim you'll refund if you won't reach mystery number X.

it is not a Nintendo IP? ED? he/she said ED2..

Anyone know how they're planning on making this game with an eight-person team, half of whom aren't actually devs (forum mod, "community manager," etc)?

Buzzman

Banned
What's on their faq can be just as binding as what is labeled as the terms of use, in particular when the overriding faq provision is newer.

Really? Do you have a link that explains that? Because I've always heard that terms and conditions overrule FAQs.

kizmah

For a "spiritual" sequel this sure looks a lot like an hd-remake. The church is basically the same and everything is Eternal Darkness to the point that the only thing not ED is the title. Oh, and the monsters are new...that is, taken from the Eternal Darkness 2-demo made on the side by the X-men staff back in the day.

Now if there only was a journalistic way to question this project and ask both Dyack, and more importantly, Nintendo about the rights for Eternal Darkness. If only IGN had some reporters...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
storafötter;56975858 said:
The demo looked good, but in all honestly even if this game becomes a reality who says that it will play amazing? Eternal Darkness had terrible clunky combat. The reason why I loved that game was because of the story, world and its characters (along with the nice visual/audio tricks they used). If this ever happens it should at least play a lot better than Eternal Darkness or we will end up with a promising game with terrible execution.

The writer for Eternal Darkness is writing this game's story as well, he's been posting on the Shadow of the Eternals forum, so some hope for that. I don't exactly understand what you're asking beyond that, though.

Sadist

But then again, maybe they did have cleared this stuff with Nintendo before hand. Who knows.
That's my reason for confusion. I saw the trailer and they used a few soundbites from the original and the gameplay they have shown... the level design is extremely similar to chapter 3 "Suspicion of Conspiracy". The exact same secret doorway behind the bookcase, a pedestal in in the dungeons, the second floor. Even the character you control is a courier who wants to find Charlemagne.

The character shilouettes are the icing on the cake. A roman soldier and a girl with the same build as Alex Roivas? Lol.

Mifune

Mehmber
Is Kickstarter the only crowd-funding website that doesn't accept donations if the project never reaches its goal? Was there an alternative here?

syllogism

Really? Do you have a link that explains that? Because I've always heard that terms and conditions overrule FAQs.
I may be mistaken or extrapolating from a general contract law principle that may or may not be applicable in this context or in every jurisdiction. The point is that the consumer may be able to rely on the faq, if it clarifies the contract, in particular because the standard terms are being incorporated only by reference. The fact that they publicly updated the faq with the intention of clarifying or changing their intentions further reinforces the idea. A contract is rarely just the paper you sign, but also includes things that parties say and agree to. They can't intentionally mislead by saying one thing on the faq and then later claiming that only the ToS is binding.

e: this is not to say ToS can not overrule the faq, just not in a situation like this

munroe

That's my reason for confusion. I saw the trailer and they used a few soundbites from the original and and the gameplay they have shown... the level design is extremely similar to chapter 3 "Suspicion of Conspiracy". The exact same secret doorway behind the bookcase, a pedestal in in the dungeons, the second floor. Even the character you control is a courier who wants to find Charlemagne.

The character shilouettes are the icing on the cake. A roman soldier and a girl with the same build as Alex Roivas? Lol.

I think that bit is just a vision of what events have transpired, that the hand maid, Clara Rusznyuak saw, from pilot 1 faq, the main playable character is that woman.

From the demo, the visuals look good and if the story is as good as the first one then I would definitely purchase however, they are asking for a lot, $1.5m just for the pilot, then I'm guessing the same amount for each subsequent episode?

Man, if I was rich, I'd so buy that $10,000 package but alas...

Top Bottom