• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games- Shadow of the Eternals Crowdsourcing + Kickstarter [canceled]

Dascu

I may be mistaken or extrapolating from a general contract law principle that may or may not be applicable in this context or in every jurisdiction. The point is that the consumer may be able to rely on the faq, if it clarifies the contract, in particular because the standard terms are being incorporated only by reference. The fact that they publicly updated the faq with the intention of clarifying or changing their intentions further reinforces the idea. A contract is rarely just the paper you sign, but also includes things that parties say and agree to. They can't intentionally mislead by saying one thing on the faq and then later claiming that only the ToS is binding.

e: this is not to say ToS can not overrule the faq, just not in a situation like this

I would even go as far as to say that a consumer is more likely to have read and based his assumptions on the more accessible FAQ than the ToS. A case could definitely be made.

The writer for Eternal Darkness is writing this game's story as well, he's been posting on the Shadow of the Eternals forum, so some hope for that. I don't exactly understand what you're asking beyond that, though.

A game that doesn't play like shit. That has entertaining action or fighting sections that are at least passable. What I meant is I don't doubt them executing the story and scenario, but more worried about how well it plays.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think that bit is just a vision of what events have transpired, that the hand maid, Clara Rusznyuak saw, from pilot 1 faq, the main playable character is that woman.

From the demo, the visuals look good and if the story is as good as the first one then I would definitely purchase however, they are asking for a lot, $1.5m just for the pilot, then I'm guessing the same amount for each subsequent episode?

Man, if I was rich, I'd so buy that $10,000 package but alas...

They say other episodes will be cheaper, the 1.5 million covers the engine and setting up the mechanics and structures of the games and to get everything running and made for the base of the game.

The writer for Eternal Darkness is writing this game's story as well, he's been posting on the Shadow of the Eternals forum, so some hope for that. I don't exactly understand what you're asking beyond that, though.

The writer is by far the most important aspect of any followup to Eternal Darkness. This makes me hopeful.

storafötter;56977358 said:
A game that doesn't play like shit. That has entertaining action or fighting sections that are at least passable. What I meant is I don't doubt them executing the story and scenario, but more worried about how well it plays. Back then we were more forgiving for flaws than nowadays.

Bullshit. We weren't "more forgiving." We just didn't have current games to compare older games to. When you do that, older games will always come up lacking.

Eternal Darkness's battle system was fine. Not every game has to play like fucking Devil May Cry.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think that bit is just a vision of what events have transpired, that the hand maid, Clara Rusznyuak saw, from pilot 1 faq, the main playable character is that woman.

Yep, it looks like that vision is a "reinterpretation" of the events of Eternal Darkness. Kind of a little nod to fans of the original game.

That's my reason for confusion. I saw the trailer and they used a few soundbites from the original and and the gameplay they have shown... the level design is extremely similar to chapter 3 "Suspicion of Conspiracy". The exact same secret doorway behind the bookcase, a pedestal in in the dungeons, the second floor. Even the character you control is a courier who wants to find Charlemagne.

The character shilouettes are the icing on the cake. A roman soldier and a girl with the same build as Alex Roivas? Lol.

Also, the monk mentions "The Hand of Jude," which was a fake relic created by the monks at Amiens in Eternal Darkness to lure visitors to be sacrificed to an Ancient.

In Chapter 3 you also see the casket of a dead monk who has been murdered, and in Chapter 7 a sympathetic custodian will tell you that there's a conspiracy and to trust no one in the church.

If you look at the donation bonuses, you also see stuff like "Whateley's Hidden Study" ("Whateley" being apparently someone who apparently knows and writes about the, uh, "Eternals" if you look at the site), and an item named "Tyrannus's" Gladius.

Theoderic is Anthony, Whateley is Edwin Roivas, and Tyrannus is Pious, so I guess they don't own the rights to the names.

brainpann

Anyone who funds this deserves to be ripped off. You might as well give your money to Bernie Madoff next. It will be fun watching this train wreck from a distance.

WTF, dude? Maybe you're not a fan of ED but whats with the 'tude? Why look forward to a project potentially failing?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I want to back this... but this is just too shady. :( I get that they can't use Kickstarter as a Canadian developer, but why not Indiegogo then?

Apparently IGN will show an entire "uncensored" interview with Dyack tomorrow. I wonder if they'll have the balls to ask him the hard questions... I guess I'll wait and see what Dyack has to say for himself.

GCNemesis

I truly believe this game will never be released.

Perhaps the intent is there at Precursor to fully develop this game and release a tangible product that aligns with their stated vision, but besides a couple of making-of videos to appear that they are working on the project, I think this is merely a stall tactic to recoup some of the $13 million in debt Dyack/SK owes Epic and the Canadian government. Even if they get to the $1.5 million goal (in additional to other potential investors), that budget will not allow them to achieve a game in line with their direction based on their recent trailer. The following is from Mama Robotnik's great Silicon Knights postmortem thread and explains the possible budget (back then) for such a game:

WmBx0.gif

The following is just an assumption as I do not know the timetable in terms of the repayment of debt based on the court proceedings, but I'm curious if when the decision was handed down in May 2012 of the debt owed, that the founding of Precursor in July 2012 with the "intent" on releasing a game (that they had already spent considerable time developing at SK) was a way to allow Dyack to [appear to] recoup some of that debt, holding up the proverbial hammer from completely falling down on him.

I see this is as similar to a short sale of a home vs. a foreclosure. In this scenario, someone owes a lot of money towards a home and can't pay on it, so the bank comes in and tries to recoup as much of the debt as they can by engaging in a short sale. The fallback in this scenario is a foreclosure, where the short sale fails to sell and the bank takes a larger hit on the outstanding debt. I believe Precursor is in the "short-sale" portion of this scenario by attempting to create and sell a game to recoup more of the debt than they could not founding a new studio/filing for bankruptcy.

A lot of work was already done towards ED2 back when they were developing X-Men Destiny and a demo reel/presentation existed in 2012. I wonder if those assets were re-purposed onto CryEngine3 to give the illusion work is being done currently? In the Silicon Knights postmortem thread, some concept art was discovered from June 2012, created by a previously employed SK artist, David Cho. He does not appear to be employed at Precursor currently, but it appears that the art assets of his was used in the making of this "gameplay" trailer:

WbPeLgN.png

This makes me think that this is the demo reel they were shopping around in 2012, re-purposed onto the new engine, thus "selling" potential donors on the idea that they have done a lot of work on developing this game, when in fact, they haven't.

Precursor has 9 staff members. Please tell me who the lead programmer is, based on this information. There is a COO, CCO and CEO, two community guys, one audio guy and three artists/designers. And this game is to be finished by the end of 2014? Even if it's 2015, how can a team of this size and budget achieve what they have stated, in addition to all the dubious and shady activity that Dyack has/is known for?

As much as I want to see another game in the spirit of Eternal Darkness, there is no way I will donate to this.

Someone who is going to donate $5000 can have my Sanity Effect idea if they want. I call it the Brain Storm and it would have the weather (if you were inside) just randomly start to take over with thunder, lightning, strong headwinds, downpours, or even tornadoes appearing in the room around you.

I just can't trust Denis Dyack he should had distanced his name from this games...

Think I'm gonna finish reading Mama Robotnik's thread on Silicon Knights downfall...

Ok, Real Talk for a moment. If I had the money I'd fund the game myself, and bind Dyack to a contract. But since I'm poor as shit, I don't even have the option to fund it now.

Not that I would, given Dyacks past.

But if the game is made, I'll buy it day one.

Effect

Also, the monk mentions "The Hand of Jude," which was a fake relic created by the monks at Amiens in Eternal Darkness to lure visitors to be sacrificed to an Ancient.

In Chapter 3 you also see the casket of a dead monk who has been murdered, and in Chapter 7 a sympathetic custodian will tell you that there's a conspiracy and to trust no one in the church.

If you look at the donation bonuses, you also see stuff like "Whateley's Hidden Study" ("Whateley" being apparently someone who apparently knows and writes about the, uh, "Eternals" if you look at the site), and an item named "Tyrannus's" Gladius.

Theoderic is Anthony, Whateley is Edwin Roivas, and Tyrannus is Pious, so I guess they don't own the rights to the names.

They are walking a fine line. I don't know how they think they can get away with this. Trying their best it seems to avoid the Eternal Darkness names but clearly wanting to benefit from them. It's like they are begging to be sued and for Nintendo to bring the hammer down on them.

v1oz

I don't think this is Silicon Knights, pretty much only it's top level management :b I think everyone else went elsewhere, somewhere better...

Yes its the exact same management and creative folk (tech director, art director and audio lead).

Precursor has 9 staff members. Please tell me who the lead programmer is, based on this information. There is a COO, CCO and CEO, two community guys, one audio guy and three artists/designers. And this game is to be finished by the end of 2014? Even if it's 2015, how can a team of this size and budget achieve what they have stated, in addition to all the dubious and shady activity that Dyack has/is known for?

Yeah, how is this not ringing off alarm bells in everyone's head? Are they going to contract out all those positions? What kind of shit show is that gonna be?

A small part of me wants to be excited for this... I loved ED... *sigh*

I'm not going to get excited for this until it has gone gold.

WTF, dude? Maybe you're not a fan of ED but whats with the 'tude? Why look forward to a project potentially failing?

I'm actually a big fan of ED and have been a proponent of it on here since way back when it released. I also recognize that that was more than 10 years ago. And that since then the most noteworthy things Denis and the team behind it has done is sound like a crazy person on a episode of 1up Yours, get banned from NeoGaf and try to sue Epic. Oh and release 2 shitty games. Sorry that I don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They could have used Indiegogo, which also has flexible funding (and allows Canadians to use the service). They just don't want to give a cut to anyone, I imagine.

big_erk

To avoid Nintendo's wrath? If they got the Insanity meter and other elements of the Eternal Darkness Ip they need to stick with Ninty, I don't know if they'd mind a PC version of one of their less known Ips but a PSN or Xbox Arcade game is a big no, no.

Hit the nail on the head.

Alfredo

This looks and sounds so much like Eternal Darkness, that I want it to be Eternal Darkness 2 rather than a spiritual successor. I want the ED story to continue, but from this I fear that it's just going to retell the story of ED with different characters. I know it's too early to tell, but c'mon. That book was the Tome of Eternal Darkness!

Aaron Unger
Community Manager

Precursor_AaronU-BioPicLG01.jpg

Aaron Unger is the Community Manager at Precursor Games. Aaron studied Information Technology at Central Washington University with an emphasis in Networking. He has a passion for the sciences and is well versed in geology, physics and chemistry.

Aaron believes that it is “time to bring the community to the next level” by empowering the gamers and making them part of the creation process. This belief evolved naturally as he is a hardcore gamer himself and understands what it is like to be passionate about the game you play. EVE Online, World of Warcraft, Mech Warrior Online, World of Tanks, and Diablo under the handles of (Dax Frey and Fahzza) are only a few of the many games Aaron has spent serious time with. Aaron is dedicated to maximizing your input to the development process and is committed to making the Precursor Games Community the best it can be.

When not spending time with his wife, Aaron enjoys playing video games, bonsai, astronomy, photography and playing Magic: The Gathering. He loves pirates and dreams of being the “Jester of Tortuga”. He is also a proud combat Veteran.

Daven Bigelow

Precursor_DavenB-BioPicLG01.jpg

Daven is a forum moderator at Precursor Games and has been randomly tapping away at keyboards since he was 3 years old, with a love for gaming starting shortly after. Daven studied Physics, Mathematics, and Computing in England before returning home to Canada, and plans on continuing his education at McMaster University.

Since the early 2000s, he has taken advantage of Internet resources, adopting a “learn-by-doing” method to make his own games and software in his free time. He is also a published author with the recent release of his book, “Construct Game Development: Beginner’s Guide”.

In the occasional breaks from working, Daven enjoys playing some of the newest console and indie games, or revisiting classic PC and console gems. In the gaming communities he can often be found using the handles “Jayjay” or “Bigelowed”. Daven believes that everyday can made a little more humorous by reading “Cyanide and Happiness” webcomics.

I don't see why you guys are so worried, 22% of their staff consists of people on message boards so they'll have great access to all the gameplay ideas we give them.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I truly believe this game will never be released.

Perhaps the intent is there at Precursor to fully develop this game and release a tangible product that aligns with their stated vision, but besides a couple of making-of videos to appear that they are working on the project, I think this is merely a stall tactic to recoup some of the $13 million in debt Dyack/SK owes Epic and the Canadian government. Even if they get to the $1.5 million goal (in additional to other potential investors), that budget will not allow them to achieve a game in line with their direction based on their recent trailer. The following is from Mama Robotnik's great Silicon Knights postmortem thread and explains the possible budget (back then) for such a game:

WmBx0.gif

The following is just an assumption as I do not know the timetable in terms of the repayment of debt based on the court proceedings, but I'm curious if when the decision was handed down in May 2012 of the debt owed, that the founding of Precursor in July 2012 with the "intent" on releasing a game (that they had already spent considerable time developing at SK) was a way to allow Dyack to [appear to] recoup some of that debt, holding up the proverbial hammer from completely falling down on him.

I see this is as similar to a short sale of a home vs. a foreclosure. In this scenario, someone owes a lot of money towards a home and can't pay on it, so the bank comes in and tries to recoup as much of the debt as they can by engaging in a short sale. The fallback in this scenario is a foreclosure, where the short sale fails to sell and the bank takes a larger hit on the outstanding debt. I believe Precursor is in the "short-sale" portion of this scenario by attempting to create and sell a game to recoup more of the debt than they could not founding a new studio/filing for bankruptcy.

A lot of work was already done towards ED2 back when they were developing X-Men Destiny and a demo reel/presentation existed in 2012. I wonder if those assets were re-purposed onto CryEngine3 to give the illusion work is being done currently? In the Silicon Knights postmortem thread, some concept art was discovered from June 2012, created by a previously employed SK artist, David Cho. He does not appear to be employed at Precursor currently, but it appears that the art assets of his was used in the making of this "gameplay" trailer:

WbPeLgN.png

This makes me think that this is the demo reel they were shopping around in 2012, re-purposed onto the new engine, thus "selling" potential donors on the idea that they have done a lot of work on developing this game, when in fact, they haven't.

As much as I want to see another game in the spirit of Eternal Darkness, there is no way I will donate to this.

The more I hear about this game, the shadier it gets.

Marcel

Pretty sure Draft is being sarcastic. I can understand why people would be confused tho.

Today I saw someone with the opinion (without irony) that Guacamelee is better than Super Metroid. I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

ironcreed

Banned
SANE SUPPORTER
: $25.00
Receive the following rewards:

• Shadow of the Eternals Episodes 1-6
• Exclusive Membership in the Order of the Unseen

Exclusive membership in the Order of the Unseen, huh? I can't help but wonder if that is code for vaporware.

Top Bottom