• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Unpleasant Time at a Restaurant

I am injecting myself with a needle. The needle will be exposed to all manner of germs in a public bathroom. Would you perform surgery in a bathroom? No. So why should I be forced to do injections in there? It is literally an injection I need to do to stay alive.

Also it's just a sub dermal injection, it's the most quick minor in out thing possible. Hell I could do my embrel shots under my shirt without people even noticing.

Tom Nook

It was a rather racist experience for me. For a bit of a prospective, I live in a very white "liberal" city. So there is a restaurant my friends always praise how good it is, and it's usually frequented by college student since my town is a college town. It was a Saturday morning and suggested to my brothers that we should give it a try. It was busy and we totally expected that. We didn't wait long for a table, and we got seated. From the moment we got seated, I felt something was off with how the server was talking to us. I look around me and all I see are white college kids or white families. I am like ok it's pretty normal at this point considering the population of the town, and my experience in the town has been very pleasant living in the city despite that. But then the server comes to take our order and we tried asking a few questions about the menu. He blurted just order anything in a very blunt manner. We are in shock. We started discussing what's going on between us after he left and then debated maybe the server is upset about something or that maybe he is overworked, but it's too early in the morning for that. A few minutes later another sever comes and tells us that they have to move us from our table because reasons. They didn't apologize or ask. They just lifted everything off our table. They don't say why and they took us to a dark deep corner in the restaurant. Previously we had a nice window side table. At this point we really thought about just leaving. It was pretty obvious what was going on when they seated a family of 4 in our place. A white family. It's same size as our table and we were 3. Why didn't they just seat them in this table they forced us to? Non of us left a tip that day and the food was definitely overrated. It might the situation that made it taste worse than it is, but I honestly don't care. We haven't went there again. I always tell this story to anyone who mentions this restaurant to me. They are usually disgusted.

I would've just left the restaurant right there. Heck, I would've caused a scene and them "why?". FUCK those places.

cwmartin

Yeah, I guess it is impatient if I have to sit around for an hour after eating for the waitress to even bring me the bill? Especially if we have plans to do something afterwards?

I see the time has gotten longer!

First 15 minutes for the check. Then 15 minutes for her to process the check. This is actually absurd and I argue this has never happened to you.

NOW you poor souls have had to wait an hour just to SEE the bill. By god what terrible restaurants you go to!

____

So she just didn't like what she ordered? Nothing wrong with it?

Sounds like the manager of this place should be the one posting about his bad customers to me.

It wasn't what she expected based off the paltry description on the menu but hey, whatever helps you feel better about yourself lol.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My wife and I finally had to stop going out with her parents.

They can't just order something off the menu- there have to be substitutions and special exceptions to everything they order, even (or especially) if the menu says no substitutions.

Then my father-in-law pulls out the coupon (he ALWAYS has a coupon) and shows it to the waiter, who points out that it's expired. At that point, he'll call over a manager and start haggling until the poor bastard gives in and lets him have his way.

Finally, of course, the food arrives and it's not cooked to their specifications and the complaining and negotiations begin all over again.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to give the staff the "I'm so sorry" look so they don't spit in MY food.

Yeah, I hate this.
I don't eat with people who do this crap either.

gaiages

Banned
Yeah, I guess it is impatient if I have to sit around for an hour after eating for the waitress to even bring me the bill? Especially if we have plans to do something afterwards?

Okay see I can understand having something to do, but honestly if they're really taking 15 minutes to give you your check back everytime that's a problem. Likelihood is they only took 3 or 4 and had to help other customers along the way. That's why I called you impatient, because it seems like you're inflating these numbers and exaggerating because it sounds like EVERY time you go to a restaurant, this happens. I don't really believe that.

You may not be impatient but the way you worded your stories just makes you sound more impatient that you actually being wronged. Someone setting the check down and walking off is normal because it gives you the actual chance to look at it... them standing there, staring, waiting... well, that just seems discourteous. And I mean, 9/10 times you're not the only person they're helping anyway.

When we went to a restaurant with the family.
My parents, my two brothers with their girlfriends and me.

I have a really good relationship with my brothers and all but at that day it was kinda painful as I felt like I wasnt even part of the family, I just sat there, trying to eat starring holes in the air since everyone was busy with each other.

That was a couple years ago but since then I try to figure out who will go and if I end up being the seventh wheel again Ill just stay at home.

Ugh family dinners with my boyfriend's family are the worst for that very reason

I even try to talk but everyone talks over one another and I just don't have a voice that projects lol

cr0w

Old Member
My wife and I went to Taco Cabana, and she ordered a taco salad. We'd already been put off by the cashier, who was just a strange individual. Hard to explain how, she was just weird.

Anyway, our order came up and we sat down to discover a long black hair in my wife's salad. Suitably disgusted, she took it back to the counter and showed the cashier the salad with the hair in it. The cashier proceed to grab the salad from her, pull the hair off, and try to hand it back to her. Fucking what.

My wife told her she wanted a new salad, and the cashier couldn't understand why since she had taken the hair off. The manager came out and had a new salad made for her, but damn.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
One Mother's day my mom got stuck in a booth. They had to get several members of staff to help her out.

Actually everyone, including her, found it hilarious. Worst would have to be going to this Ninja themed restaurant last year - had heard for years about it being this super ridiculous place where the staff dress up as Ninja and attempt to scare you. Finally went and it was the lamest thing ever. The workers all had the emotional level of a disgruntled Gamestop employee. They did not want to be there and as result I didn't want to be there.

Had dinner with a group of friends that included a guy who always bitches about the food. We used to go to this particular restaurant quite frequently, the menu is huge but we usually stick with certain 'recommended" dishes. This time though, this guy decides to try something different, hes unhappy with the portion (mind you the place is quite on the cheaper side anyway), calls the waiter and starts bitching (about the potion) as the poor waiter doesn't know what to say - awkward situation.

As soon as the waiter leaves I scold the guy for this unnecessary awkward situation and his annoying bitching, he starts telling to fuck off and we have this minor fight.

We didn't speak for a while afterwards.

____

Well, I really can't blame on the manager. If just by not liking a meal everyone could replace it, restaurants would not exist. Bad ones because all the meals would be replaced; good ones, because the scoundrels.

You have to have a good reason to ask for a replacement.

Idk, a simple google search tells me I'm not wrong here. Or at the very least there's an argument to be had:

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/53889/i-ordered-wrong/
https://www.chowhound.com/post/food-386880
https://www.quora.com/Is-sending-back-food-in-a-restaurant-morally-right
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-rude-to...n-if-theres-nothing-technically-wrong-with-it
http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-re...t-to-do-if-you-dont-like-your-restaurant-meal
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170273

One, I didn't know what I was going to eat. I have to adjust my insulin dose according to what I'm eating and how much. Two, as pointed out, don't tell me how to manage a disease I've lived with for half my life.

i'm not telling you how to do anything. i wasn't being sarcastic, and was actually genuinely curious as my grandmother deals with diabetes and i hadn't seen her have to deal with insulin like that. you and the other dude don't need to be so defensive

Poppy

Last year at the beach my mom exploded on my dad for not wanting to order anything because he had a late lunch and wasn't hungry. She forced him to eat a salad and sent him home before everyone's entrees arrived. My sister, who always looks forward to going to the restaurant because they have a nice crab leg night, vomited in the bathroom out of fear/embarrassment.

Usually my dad's the one to make a scene at restaurants because of his super strict diet.

stuff like this makes me shrink and quiver in fear just reading it so i guess i understand your sister's reaction

i would never be able to bring myself to go anywhere with them again if that might happen

Went to a Hispanic place in Florida. Took over an hour for an effin' sandwich. My Hispanic father said they didn't like that he was married to a white woman and he took the food we got, told them to fuck off essentially, and then we left and got pizza. Not the first time it happened, but the worst time. I didn't really think that was the reason originally, but as I got older it all added up due to the other similar situations and even his parents not being happy about it for the longest time.

stuff like this makes me shrink and quiver in fear just reading it so i guess i understand your sister's reaction

i would never be able to bring myself to go anywhere with them again if that might happen

Yeah after that my sis, her husband, and I just kinda ate separately for the rest of the trip.

Of course, it all depends on the way you perceive the subject, the size of the fault you think is being commited, and the usual behavior in your community/familiar surrounding.

I've returned a dish just two times in my life. The reason? We clearly and explicitly ask specific ingredients to be removed, but those ingredients were finally there. There were no discussion to be had: we asked for something, we had an affirmative reply, the final product clearly did not match what we asked for.

Of course, there has been a LOT of times when I didn't like at all what I was eating.

Example 1 (the light one): we usually go to a steak house near our home, two or three times a month. Almost each time we order, among other dishes, pork ribs. We LOVE this place, but I have to admit that two or three times the ribs were not at its best. We were in our right to order a replacement? Well, maybe. And given that we are regular consumers, I'm sure that the staff would have made the change without even question it, to keep the good client happy. BUT: we know the hard work that means ruling a restaurant, we know their hard work at the kitchen and at the grill, we know that's just the exception, and we don't mind to not eat the-best-pork-ribs-ever each time we go there. So we just eat them, and after that we still were happy.

Example 2 (the heavy one): times where we go to a new found restaurant: a recommendation, an offer, an invitation, a meeting, a tourist place. And the food we order is plainly bad. But it's the food we order. Can we complain? Well, yes. But it's exactly the food we ordered. The chef is inexperienced? Had a bad day? Had a bad product? Ask for a change and taste something totally different? And what if the new dish is not of our liking, again? Ask for a new change? And then for other? Well, you could do that. I just prefer not.

I'm elaborating too much, and badly. The thing is that I'd only ask for a change if the product I receive is clearly not what I ordered (it's a completely different meal, has different ingredients, something is not eatable, something is dirty). In other case, if the product I receive is what I ordered, but I don't like how it tastes, I remain silent. If I left unsatisfied, I just don't come back.

What's exactly the satisfaction point in which you feel you should not ask for a change? The meal should be a 9/10? A 10/10? So you keep on asking for a change until the food is a 10/10? What if all people in the restaurant continuously do the same? Order a dish, taste it, 'I don't like it... I will not pay for it, bring me another dish and better satisfy me this time', and repeat forever?

I KNOW you sure would not do that, it's just an exageration; but, again, what's exactly the satisfaction point? All people should have a common satisfaction point? And how the restaurant staff could determine that point and meet it in each elaboration?

Piggus

It was a rather racist experience for me. For a bit of a prospective, I live in a very white "liberal" city. So there is a restaurant my friends always praise how good it is, and it's usually frequented by college student since my town is a college town. It was a Saturday morning and suggested to my brothers that we should give it a try. It was busy and we totally expected that. We didn't wait long for a table, and we got seated. From the moment we got seated, I felt something was off with how the server was talking to us. I look around me and all I see are white college kids or white families. I am like ok it's pretty normal at this point considering the population of the town, and my experience in the town has been very pleasant living in the city despite that. But then the server comes to take our order and we tried asking a few questions about the menu. He blurted just order anything in a very blunt manner. We are in shock. We started discussing what's going on between us after he left and then debated maybe the server is upset about something or that maybe he is overworked, but it's too early in the morning for that. A few minutes later another sever comes and tells us that they have to move us from our table because reasons. They didn't apologize or ask. They just lifted everything off our table. They don't say why and they took us to a dark deep corner in the restaurant. Previously we had a nice window side table. At this point we really thought about just leaving. It was pretty obvious what was going on when they seated a family of 4 in our place. A white family. It's same size as our table and we were 3. Why didn't they just seat them in this table they forced us to? Non of us left a tip that day and the food was definitely overrated. It might the situation that made it taste worse than it is, but I honestly don't care. We haven't went there again. I always tell this story to anyone who mentions this restaurant to me. They are usually disgusted.

If you haven't already, I would go on places like Yelp, Facebook, and TripAdvisor and give them a piss-poor review, and post this story with it. As someone whose family owns a restaurant, owners typically take bad reviews very seriously. It might go a long way in making sure others don't have the experience you had.

I work in a restaurant. I could tell a lot of stories. Hospitality is truly entertaining.
Anyway this one is fairly recent.

We have two 'chicken' dishes.
One chicken parmigiana: Crumbed chicken topped with tomato, ham and cheese, served with a pile of chips and a salad.
One more expensive pan fried chicken dish. Topped with prawns and a creamy sauce, served with vegetables and house cut wedges.

We bring meals out to one table, a couple of the girls get the first option, and one gets the second. She instantly becomes upset that her more expensive meal is smaller than her friends meals. My supervisor tries to explain to her that the price is due to cost of ingredients and has no correlation to the size of the dish, and the girl just starts crying and makes take her meal back to the kitchen and recook her the other one.

When going to a diner, I don't use the maple syrup that sits on the table anymore (ihop does this and I got sick really bad). I ask for a sugar free syrup, and they take out a bottle with a closable lid that hasn't been sitting out there for weeks.

HMD

We were served lava hot coffee that literally melted a patch of skin off my body when my 8 year old self was stupid enough to drop it. It was the most painful thing I ever had to endure and I still have a minor scar.

Back when my friends and I were in high school we went to Dennys super late at night and unfortunately it was at the same night a bunch of other high schoolers were there.

Well one group dines and ditches and the manager from the Dennys comes to tell our table, all a group of very obvious Saint nerds, that we need to pay for our friends. We say those aren't our friends and he keeps insisting we better give him details on who they are, and one of my friends mentions they're from our school but that we don't know them.

Well a group of jocks, also from our school, sees the whole situation and a few of them start verbally harassing us that you don't snitch. Some of them knew us from our AP courses as they had classes with us and ask the guys to stop bothering us, but one of my friends plays along and starts throwing back insults and snappy comebacks at one of the jocks who wouldn't let it go. I remember it reaching a point the guy threatened, very passive aggressively, that he shouldn't be surprised if my friends car is keyed on the way out and my friend responded he'd know who the culprit is and sue his ass.

It made the whole evening awkward as shit. I was cringing so hard from fear and embarrassment I wanted to disappear. I think my friend told me he saw the guy some time later in school and he tried to start shit again, but it went nowhere.

That whole situation could have ended up escalating much worse. I don't blame my friend for instigating the guy as he was being an ass, but mother of God there were so many points on that back and forth he could have stopped it but I guess as most arguments go you need to have the last word to feel like you won lol.

One time I ordered a medium-rare steak and got a rare instead. One mistake in food prep wouldn't normally fall under "most unpleasant time", but it was so disgusting that it put me off ordering medium rare entirely.

Every time I get steak at a restaurant now, I order medium and die a little inside. I'll never enjoy a good steak out again.

edit: I still left a good tip. I'm not an animal.

One time I ordered a medium-rare steak and got a rare instead. One mistake in food prep wouldn't normally fall under "most unpleasant time", but it was so disgusting that it put me off ordering medium rare entirely.

Every time I get steak at a restaurant now, I order medium and die a little inside. I'll never enjoy a good steak out again.

edit: I still left a good tip. I'm not an animal.
Reminds me of my sister. Where if she doesn't get her steak well done she starts fucking gagging and pushes the food away, then complains to the whole family how she can't eat it, and eventually when the waiter comes back just asks politely
if they can cook it a big more. After having put us through that whole song and dance

At that point if you're so particular about steak and 7 times out of 10 they don't have it exactly how you want it and she needs to do that whole show, order some freaking chicken lol

Reminds me of my sister. Where if she doesn't get her steak well done she starts fucking gagging and pushes the food away, then complains to the whole family how she can't eat it, and eventually when the waiter comes back just asks politely
if they can cook it a big more. After having put us through that whole song and dance

At that point if you're so particular about steak and 7 times out of 10 they don't have it exactly how you want it and she needs to do that whole show, order some freaking chicken lol

:lol has she worked food service? I did for a few years, and that's why I never raise a fuss at restaurants. Mistakes are inevitable in that environment.

And I'm not even that picky. I just don't want to bite into raw meat!

Mendrox

I work in a restaurant. I could tell a lot of stories. Hospitality is truly entertaining.
Anyway this one is fairly recent.

We have two 'chicken' dishes.
One chicken parmigiana: Crumbed chicken topped with tomato, ham and cheese, served with a pile of chips and a salad.
One more expensive pan fried chicken dish. Topped with prawns and a creamy sauce, served with vegetables and house cut wedges.

We bring meals out to one table, a couple of the girls get the first option, and one gets the second. She instantly becomes upset that her more expensive meal is smaller than her friends meals. My supervisor tries to explain to her that the price is due to cost of ingredients and has no correlation to the size of the dish, and the girl just starts crying and makes take her meal back to the kitchen and recook her the other one.

Fuck people like this. How about they ask how big the dish will be beforehand? I hate such crybabies. I order food, I get my food, if I dont like it I wont come back or atleast try something else next time. If the food was good I will tell the restaurant. People remember this and you have a happy relationship. Easy as that.

A restaurant recently opened around here, so I went with my family to have lunch. We were a big(8-9 people) group, so the servers helped us get our tables and started taking orders.
After taking our orders most of the servers just... stood there, by our table.

When we got the food the servers kept being right by our side, looking at us and our food, constantly. As soon as my drink would finish one of them would instantly refill my cup(which is super damn weird around here), and as soon as we finished something they'd take the plates, intruding on our conversation.

The food wasn't bad but HOLY FUCK, having 7 strangers looking at you and the food you're eating, while intruding the table constantly, just put me off of that restaurant forever. I think the restaurant owner told them to work like that, as it was the opening week, to "better serve our customers".

The time I was not allowed into a restaurant lol.

It was in asakusa.

It was open, they had a sign outside that said "curry". I wanted to go in, a small japanese woman came out and told me I can't go inside.

I took the hint and left.

we once called a famous japanese restaurant for a reservation, they told us that they had no seats.
then i asked my japanese friend to call for us and they had tons of seats available. lol.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
-I went with my parents on a trip to Italy in 1999. We stayed at this bed and breakfast in the middle of nowhere, near a small town, because my brother was studying abroad there. One night we all went to dinner at a restaurant in the town. My parents ordered some kind of meat dish, which came out undercooked (although I think it was supposed to be like that), so my father sent it back. The waiter was pleading with my father not to do this, which was kind of weird. I can't remember if he had it sent back one more time, but after doing this, the chef came out and to our table. He was a HUGE, hulking, bald, angry looking man who looked like something out of a cartoon. He slams the dish down on the table, says something in Italian to the crowd, who laughs, and then storms off. The next day, my parents were both sick and on the toilet pretty much all day long. My brother a little bit too-- the chef definitely added something "extra" to the food. I was the only one who was fine, because I didn't eat any of that dish.

-When I was a lot younger, our family would sometimes go eat with my aunt's family at Ryan's, which is (was?) this shitty buffet place. One time I went to go get ice cream and watched a little girl pick her nose, and then shove her finger up the ice cream machine dispenser. I don't think I ever had ice cream again there.

-When I was 14, my dad had a business that was right near a Taco Bell. We'd frequently go there to get lunch. One day I went to pick up an order of 12 tacos. There was a new guy at the counter, and he called me a pig when I made the order. I just looked at him, kind of stunned, and said "dude, this is for three people." He goes "Sure they are" and laughed. Never saw him there again.

-Much less unpleasant, but one time I went with a group of friends to an Olive Garden before a movie. The waitress took everyone's orders without writing anything down and said that she could remember everything. Everyone got their food except for me. She completely forgot about my order and looked pretty embarrassed about it, apologizing profusely. We didn't have any time left for her to put my order in, but I was OK with it since I got my fill of the free salad and bread sticks.

Alszem

After a night of drinking, my friends and I went to a breakfast restaurant the following morning. We got to the restaurant and it was crowded, but we were assigned a nice table at the back of the restaurant next to an elderly couple and an empty table. It was perfect since we were slightly hungover.

We ordered our food and a family of 3 came in with a very young baby. Once we got our food, the baby started complaining and crying. The mother, to calm her child, took her phone out and played some videos at full volume and started singing over them. I was sitting right next to the baby. The mother kept looking at me with a smile on her face as if she wanted me to tell her that her baby's cute or something.

It went on and on until we left.

I know it's not her fault her baby's crying, but there are better ways to deal with the situation.

p2535748

Years ago I went out to dinner with my father, brother and my brother's wife. We went to a fairly nice/well known restaurant, one with an open kitchen, and got seated pretty near the kitchen.

So, things are fine for a while until our food comes out. My father's food never arrives. First, this is a nice enough restaurant that it's weird for them to deliver food separately anyway, but that's generally okay with us as long as it's not a huge gap. Despite assurances, though, his food isn't coming out quickly.

So, the rest of us are sitting there with our food, not wanting to be rude and eat, and 10 minutes pass. We get the waiter back and they apologize and say something about the kitchen. Now, again, the kitchen's right near us, so we can see as the waiter goes back and has a heated discussion with the person finishing plates. The waiter comes back and assures us it will just be a minute more.

5-10 more minutes pass, and now it's at the point where the rest of us have rapidly cooling food, and it's getting a little ridiculous, so my dad calls asks for the manager. The manager comes over, my dad explains the situation, complains that the rest of us are going to have cold food, and asks what's going on. The manager just explodes at my dad, saying he doesn't understand how to run things, don't tell him how to do his job, saying he's being unreasonable. It's super weird, because my dad was actually really calm and it had been at least 20 minutes since the rest of us got our food.

So the manager goes back to the kitchen, has another heated discussion. That turns into yelling that the whole restaurant can hear, with the guy finishing plates gesticulating wildly in our direction. Then, the manager grabs a plate, comes out and basically drops it in front of my dad, saying "here you go, happy?" Well, the thing was it wasn't even the right order, it was a completely different dish. My dad just bursts out laughing, which made the manager even more angry.

Finally, the waiter steps in, pulls the manager aside, and explains to him exactly what's happened, and it's like a switch flipped. The manager got super nice, very apologetic, fixed things, and was generally great after that.

It must have been that he got bad info from someone and thought we were being unreasonable, because otherwise his behavior just made no sense.

TLDR: One person ends up waiting 20+ minutes longer than everyone else for food only to be yelled at by the manager and given the wrong dish.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
One Mother's day my mom got stuck in a booth. They had to get several members of staff to help her out.

Actually everyone, including her, found it hilarious. Worst would have to be going to this Ninja themed restaurant last year - had heard for years about it being this super ridiculous place where the staff dress up as Ninja and attempt to scare you. Finally went and it was the lamest thing ever. The workers all had the emotional level of a disgruntled Gamestop employee. They did not want to be there and as result I didn't want to be there.

Crrriiiinge

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Of course, it all depends on the way you perceive the subject, the size of the fault you think is being commited, and the usual behavior in your community/familiar surrounding.

I've returned a dish just two times in my life. The reason? We clearly and explicitly ask specific ingredients to be removed, but those ingredients were finally there. There were no discussion to be had: we asked for something, we had an affirmative reply, the final product clearly did not match what we asked for.

Of course, there has been a LOT of times when I didn't like at all what I was eating.

Example 1 (the light one): we usually go to a steak house near our home, two or three times a month. Almost each time we order, among other dishes, pork ribs. We LOVE this place, but I have to admit that two or three times the ribs were not at its best. We were in our right to order a replacement? Well, maybe. And given that we are regular consumers, I'm sure that the staff would have made the change without even question it, to keep the good client happy. BUT: we know the hard work that means ruling a restaurant, we know their hard work at the kitchen and at the grill, we know that's just the exception, and we don't mind to not eat the-best-pork-ribs-ever each time we go there. So we just eat them, and after that we still were happy.

Example 2 (the heavy one): times where we go to a new found restaurant: a recommendation, an offer, an invitation, a meeting, a tourist place. And the food we order is plainly bad. But it's the food we order. Can we complain? Well, yes. But it's exactly the food we ordered. The chef is inexperienced? Had a bad day? Had a bad product? Ask for a change and taste something totally different? And what if the new dish is not of our liking, again? Ask for a new change? And then for other? Well, you could do that. I just prefer not.

I'm elaborating too much, and badly. The thing is that I'd only ask for a change if the product I receive is clearly not what I ordered (it's a completely different meal, has different ingredients, something is not eatable, something is dirty). In other case, if the product I receive is what I ordered, but I don't like how it tastes, I remain silent. If I left unsatisfied, I just don't come back.

What's exactly the satisfaction point in which you feel you should not ask for a change? The meal should be a 9/10? A 10/10? So you keep on asking for a change until the food is a 10/10? What if all people in the restaurant continuously do the same? Order a dish, taste it, 'I don't like it... I will not pay for it, bring me another dish and better satisfy me this time', and repeat forever?

I KNOW you sure would not do that, it's just an exageration; but, again, what's exactly the satisfaction point? All people should have a common satisfaction point? And how the restaurant staff could determine that point and meet it in each elaboration?

This is exactly how I feel about it as well.
Bad food is bland food. It just means I will avoid it next time. Can't always win.

And the only time I will say something is if something is egregiously wrong like you pointed out.

Years ago I went to a Romano's Macaroni Grill in the middle of the day with my girlfriend. It wasn't busy and there was not too many people there. No one else was sitting around us.

Our waitress was nice and was attending us. Then at some point her manager proceeds to berate her on the floor, like 10 feet away from us. We could hear every word as the manager was giving her the business.

Our waitress then leaves and no one is attending us. No one else checks on us. We are sitting there for some time. I finally see another waitress walk by and I yell out, "Excuse me!"

The waitress comes over and is like "Uh what do you need?". I proceed to tell her that our waitress left and no one has brought us our check or anything. The waitress apologizes and goes, "I'm sorry, she quit"

Nothing like the "one-two" combo of an unprofessional manager yelling at a employee on the floor where we could hear them but then to also forget about us afterwards.

daveo42

Banned
A group of friends and I got forgotten at a Hooter's once for about 45 minutes. Our waitress seemed to have disappeared after taking our order, so no drink refills during that time. Then she brings out our food and everything is ice cold. We decided not to even touch the food and just walk out on the check. Personally, I haven't been back to a Hooter's since. It's also the only time I've ever walked out on a check before, and I've had shitty service several times at other restaurants. This includes waiting over an hour for an omelette at IHOP, only to have the wrong order sent out and needed to have the whole order remade. At least it was hot.

My guess is we were ignored because it was a busy Saturday night and we weren't old enough to buy alcohol at the time.

Griss

Back in March I went to dinner with my sister and her husband and one of their female acquaintances. Didn't really want to go but thought I'd be polite and social for once. Hoped it would be an 'in and out' situation. Instead they choose the 7 course tasting menu for like 100 euros each. We're locked into like a 3 hour gig. Fuck.

Anyway, two courses into this the acquaintance girl gets a phone call, runs outside and collapses. Her long term boyfriend has just died, 100% out of the blue. So we're all in a strange town, staying at different hotels, most people went back to their home countries the day before... no idea what to do or where to go, but she didn't want to be left alone. So we just sit there consoling this sobbing girl as they bring course after course for like 2 and a half hours. The rest of us had met him once or twice, but nothing more than that. So it was hard to find anything to say. It was 100% the worst.

Obviously worse for her than for us. And the bright side is that at least we'd taken her out to dinner - as she said later had she gotten that phone call while on her own, abroad, she might have done something stupid. On the other hand her boyfriend was supposed to go on the trip with her but couldn't due to work. Would he have lived had he been with us? Probably not but who knows.

But yikes, was I regretting being there at the time.

I was eating at a Ruby's Tuesday before catching a movie with my wife. We had a light dinner. Well the manager at various times kept looking at us with those shifty eyes and it bothered my wife. Well we got to the end and paid the server and signed the check and was about to leave. Well the manager came by and stopped us from leaving and asked to see the receipt. He thought we were gonna dine n dash. I was like dawg, if we were, why would we walk slowly to the door.

I didn't say that to him, but showed him the receipt and left. I was heated and wife was pissed. I didn't want to miss the movie so arguing with a bigot wasn't worth it. Never ate there again.

Alavard

i'm not telling you how to do anything. i wasn't being sarcastic, and was actually genuinely curious as my grandmother deals with diabetes and i hadn't seen her have to deal with insulin like that. you and the other dude don't need to be so defensive

As the other dude, I apologize for being defensive. It's hard to read intent through text sometimes, and I don't always get it right.

As the other dude, I apologize for being defensive. It's hard to read intent through text sometimes, and I don't always get it right.

no apology necessary. my last message was me being a little heated for it, and it wasn't even really a big deal. i'm sure you hear similar things to what i said all the time, so it's understandable looking back at my comment.

Tigress

Why would you wait 2 hours in Denny's when you could have easily left after 15 minutes of not getting your drink?

Something isn't right here lmao.

I've done it at a Denny's and an I hop (which was so bad about it that I started putting my foot down anytime people suggested it as a place to go. It was reliably slow). That was back I college when we would go out in a group and the rest of the group didn't want to leave. Now a days the people I hang out with are smaller in number and I'm sure they don't have the time for that shit so would be walking out way before that point.

Menome

Anyway, two courses into this the acquaintance girl gets a phone call, runs outside and collapses. Her long term boyfriend has just died, 100% out of the blue.

Well, shit. I don't think anything's topping that in here. Poor girl.

Tigress

One time my mom and I went to a Chinese restaurant on Christmas since it was only her and I and we didn't feel like cooking.

Place was near empty, but service was terrible and slow, and then my mom didn't like the food after the first bite. She waited for the server to ask to switch to something else, and dude pretty much told the manager we complained, he came out and snapped on us and told us he couldn't switch the meal. My mom said she wasn't going to pay for it, since she didn't like it and didn't eat it, and that we'd just leave. He further snapped saying we had to pay since they had to make it.

We ended up just walking out, and he berated us on our way out the door and told us we're not welcome to come back ever again.

LOL. On Christmas.

Expecting the restaurant to make a new meal if you don't like the one you ordered (and not cause it wasn't made like it was described)? I think you are the sucky customer. It's nice and going above and beyond if the restuarant is willing to comp you a different meal instead but it's really entitled of you to expect them to do so especially expect not to pay for your meal.

When I order something new I realize that I may not like it. I either don't order it again or don't come back (particularly if I have been there before and still haven't found something I liked). If they are willing to change the meal for me, awesome, I might even go out of my way to give them a positive review for that. That's really nice of them. But to expect them to do so and refuse to pay for the meal they gave you? I am on their side and I think you look like the sucky customer tbh.

The only time I'd expect that kind of service is if it is a really expensive restaurant where you expect that they are catering to you hand and foot. Not some chinese restuarant that isn't trying to cater to the elite or people wanting a premium experience (the kind I don't really go to anyways cause I don't want to pay that much for a meal and I don't have a job that I can make it a business expense). And honestly even then I'd probably only complain if I felt it was cause the food was prepared badly, not cause it was not the type of dish I usually like (like this high end place my family wanted to go to that the sword fish was literally inedible, it tasted really salty and for me not to eat it except for one bite that is pretty bad. And I wasn't the only one complaining about it, the fish was just not good. Yeah, then I admit we were annoyed they didn't at least comp the meal. And yet we still paid, we didn't pull some attempt to force them to accept us not paying. Though they got bad reviews from us and I'd tell anyone who mentioned them to stay away).

(now the slow service I'd say is worthy of complaining about and the manager probably could have been more professional about refusing you that request)

Top Bottom