• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: These Days It Makes More Sense For Batman To Be A Villain

Gin-Shiio

Batman is a pretty terrible superhero anyway. Seriously instead of actually spending his billions and trying to help the poor out of poverty (and thus preventing people from turning to crime), he puts on a costume to punch people in the face. Not only do they eventually break out again and again, but he refuses to kill them and thus a never ending cycle ensues. The character needs to be retired, he is just awful.

He is so American.

Looks like a Will Eisner rip-off.

Ironic.

How does his art look like an Eisner rip off?
H5zUpDq.jpg

Oddish1

Seems like a solid premise. Someone going "hey, someone dressing up in a costume to punch poor people in order to solve crime is actually kind of stupid" isn't really a novel concept, but it always seems like Batman never really gets the villain treatment that often. Superman does all the time even though it always made more sense for Batman to be a villainous character.

Not

Banned
I agree. Tired of edgy butthead writers making Superman into the villain all the time. Batman is the problem in the world

It's promised be a lot more deeper than that. Owlman is nowhere near what Bruce Wayne is.

Jorge Zaffino I can see. Bill Waterson..............not really.

I'm pretty sure Sean had cited Waterson as a major influence.

The book sounds great and SGM is one of the greatest artists in the medium. Haven't bought anything from DC proper in years, but I'll be all over this.

gabbo

Batman is a pretty terrible superhero anyway. Seriously instead of actually spending his billions and trying to help the poor out of poverty (and thus preventing people from turning to crime), he puts on a costume to punch people in the face. Not only do they eventually break out again and again, but he refuses to kill them and thus a never ending cycle ensues. The character needs to be retired, he is just awful.

This book sounds like it's going to try and tackle that very idea. I'm intrigued because the conservative vigilantism that Batman often represents and most cape comics in general can't be used to tackle underlying social issues that cause crime and strife, but do present a very narrow, right-leaning worldview and how to best deal with it (Outside the boundaries of the law and society).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Batman might be the villain is not a new idea.

It doesn't have to be, does it? It's how the idea is handled, how it is voiced, and what it is used to say that needs to be fresh.

Batman is a pretty terrible superhero anyway. Seriously instead of actually spending his billions and trying to help the poor out of poverty (and thus preventing people from turning to crime), he puts on a costume to punch people in the face.

I think he does both, doesn't he? He's always working on improving Gotham.

Not only do they eventually break out again and again, but he refuses to kill them and thus a never ending cycle ensues. The character needs to be retired, he is just awful.

The refusing to kill people thing is a very useful narrative conceit for an on-going comic. It's a comic about a dude dressing up like a bat, so some suspension of disbelief is in order.

Not that this doesn't sound interesting, but a modern real batman would hang republicans out to dry and expose their shit.

You can almost see a TAS style Trump cowering for his life, throwing money in Batman's direction as Batman slowly steps closer to grab and hold him over a building by the collar.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I love when you know who hasn't read a Batman comic recently, possibly ever, by what they post.

I think a more original take would be to pull Batman out of the cycle of comic storytelling and fit him as a hero in a modern day liberal worldview. Making Batman into a psychotic vigilante has already been done. Face to heel turns of classic characters has been done to death.

Not

Banned
Not that this doesn't sound interesting, but a modern real batman would hang republicans out to dry and expose their shit.

You can almost see a TAS style Trump cowering for his life, throwing money in Batman's direction as Batman slowly steps closer to grab and hold him over a building by the collar.

Oh come on, when does Batman go after billionaire criminals in the comics? Lex excluded.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh come on, when does Batman go after billionaire criminals in the comics? Lex excluded.

I'd argue that Talia and Ra's Al Ghul are minted, what with their incredibly well resourced international crime syndicate, and access to cloning tech. I think The Black Glove count too. The Court of Owls are entirely run by rich weirdos who look like they actually fuck owls. There are probably more, but I'm not at my bookshelf at the mo.

Going down the scale, Penguin has cash (as the other poster pointed out). Batman has taken down a number of Mayors and Commissioners during his time though too; they may not be super rich a la Trump, by they represent upper-class and corrupt government.

ReiGun

Turning Batman into the villain is a concept that should be explored more. Personally, I've always found it a little tough to swallow the idea that he's always the champion of the "everyman" and the relatable normal guy considering what he is and some of the shit we've seen him do in different incarnations.

My only issue with this particular story is making the Joker the good guy. Would rather a villain like Anarky or even another hero like Green Arrow.

MartyStu

Batman is a pretty terrible superhero anyway. Seriously instead of actually spending his billions and trying to help the poor out of poverty (and thus preventing people from turning to crime), he puts on a costume to punch people in the face.

He does this. A large part of what Bruce Wayne does during the day is helping Gotham legit.

Not only do they eventually break out again and again, but he refuses to kill them and thus a never ending cycle ensues. The character needs to be retired, he is just awful.

This is not a Batman problem. All well-known supervillains break out of jail/come back eventually.

Batman stops plenty of villains that never escape. The ones that inevitably do are the ones that are popular and thus MANDATED by the audience to come back. This and the no-kill thing are not Batman specific issues.

lazygecko

I would actually like to see a modern alternate version of Spider-Man where he's an alt-reich redpill douchebag. Peter Parker being an awkward young white nerd shunned by his peers makes him a prime candidate for being groomed by those groups.

He does this. A large part of what Bruce Wayne does during the day is helping Gotham legit.

This is not a Batman problem. All well-known supervillains break out of jail/come back eventually.

Batman stops plenty of villains that never escape. The ones that inevitably do are the ones that are popular and thus MANDATED by the audience to come back. This and the no-kill thing are not Batman specific issues.

To be honest, most longterm problems of the Batman mythos boil down 'because the writers don't let it work'. Gotham isn't allowed to be anything better than the absolute worst hellhole on Earth (ironic, as the silver age it was actually one of the safest cities in the DCU). Villains never make any progress towards becoming better people, certainly not from the facilities intended to actually help them - Harley and Ivy may hover between anti-villains and anti-heroes, but that's not because of the Arkham staff. Bruce's various donations and galas will never provide substantial benefits to the city. And because of comicbook time compression, it won't ever be treated, either in universe or by fans, as though it's been it's been years since a given villain's last crime, but months at best, leaving the question of 'Why even bother arresting them?' up in the air, particularly as the decades have simply made the villains more and more lethal.

Still, book has potential I'd say. Only hope it doesn't fall into the trap of the Joker not really reforming after all. Both because it's been done - hi Frank Miller - and because it would likely undermine the premise they're going for. We'll see.

I would actually like to see a modern alternate version of Spider-Man where he's an alt-reich redpill douchebag. Peter Parker being an awkward young white nerd shunned by his peers makes him a prime candidate for being groomed by those groups.
In the Spider-Gwen universe Peter was the petty nerd that wanted power so he could deal with his bullies and not feel inferior. When Gwen got spider powers he wanted powers so badly he turned himself into the Lizard.

Turning Batman into the villain is a concept that should be explored more. Personally, I've always found it a little tough to swallow the idea that he's always the champion of the "everyman" and the relatable normal guy considering what he is and some of the shit we've seen him do in different incarnations.

My only issue with this particular story is making the Joker the good guy. Would rather a villain like Anarky or even another hero like Green Arrow.

I actually think the reason Batman sees few villain stories compared to, say, Superman is specifically because of how many writers cast him as an unrelateable nut. Even a lot of the lighter-and-softer incarnations like TAS tend to play this up occasionally.

NeonZ

So... Owlman? What a waste of time.

I doubt this Batman wants revenge against the police. It seems like he's still going after criminals, just doing it in a worse way than the mainstream one. Owlman always suffered from the general refusal to make Bruce a villain. He isn't even Bruce himself but a brother that only existed in that world.

Goodstyle

Fuck, I'm so ready for this. People who are sneering at the idea of villain Batman have no god damn clue how rare that actually is in comics. They never really let that scenario play it out throughout a story, it's always Batman as the protagonist grappling with his flaws. And who better to face him down than his greatest enemy? Even when he's not chalk white and insane, he's still his biggest threat.

Also, finally a Joker story where he's actually with Harley. Harley by herself is garbage, but Joker is always better when he has her by his side.

I really loved the episode of Brave and the Bold where Bateman visits an opposite world where heroes are villains and vice versa

In that universe, Joker doesn't go completely insane after his dip in chemicals, but he's disgusted by his grotesque appearance, and instead picks up the mantra of the Red Hood. He uses playing card style gadgets and fights against Owlman.

I thought having Red Hood be Joker's "good" persona was a really cool way of handling it.

MogCakes

I've mever been fond of Batman as a superhero for 'normal' people. Nothing about him is normal. He doesn't have super powers, but he does have superhuman stamina and endurance. His money and material resources are seemingly limitless. He is no normal man by any means.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wonderful. I've always loved Sean's work (both art and his budding new writing). Very excited for this.

Wake me up when Flash goes evil.
Evil Flash is game over for the whole D.C. Universe. The only reason Eobard Thawne hasn't killed everyone in Barry's timeline is because of his obsession with Barry. Evil Flash could wipe out most of Earths heroes in a hour with speedforce

Sounds cool. Kind of fell off superhero comics lately but I'll buy this if I hear it's decent. I'm all for subversions right now. Batmans my GOAT and a shakeup like this could be interesting to read

Keym

Evil Flash is game over for the whole D.C. Universe. The only reason Eobard Thawne hasn't killed everyone in Barry's timeline is because of his obsession with Barry. Evil Flash could wipe out most of Earths heroes in a hour with speedforce
That's exactly why it would be mroe interesting. That, plus I don't rememeber him ever going evil.

Meanwhile, we have like 5 or 6 evil Batmen this year alone! (But it looks like a good event comic).

jett

D-Member
Kinda wish the comic book would just like that, in black and white. Unless it does, which would be awesome. :p

DeathyBoy

Banned
I've mever been fond of Batman as a superhero for 'normal' people. Nothing about him is normal. He doesn't have super powers, but he does have superhuman stamina and endurance. His money and material resources are seemingly limitless. He is no normal man by any means.

We still get people saying Hawkeye is useless, when he'd be the most dangerous man on our planet with ease if he was real.

Besides, guys with no super powers are the scariest. Batman has literally challenged Gods and got them to bluff.

Top Bottom