• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to loose tummy fat is the worst

Taiser

I went from 188 lbs at the start of the year to 174 in June just through changing diet, cutting carbs and doing cardio. But since June, I've plateaued and am not losing any weight. I've noticed that my waist, legs and neck/face shrunk, but the tummy fat is still there just as rotund. I am unable to lose this fat for the past 3 months. Do I have to do crunches and other exercises? Is cardio not enough?

your body found a loophole and has acclimated to your bullshit.
increase your workout intensity and slash 1/4 to 1/2 off of your meals.

Charcoal

It's been said already, but it all starts in the kitchen!

lMjxwrz.jpg

Deviousx

Yeah, losing that stomach fat can be a fucking bitch. I used to do a lot of cardio but it became boring after a while. So I got into weight lifting (Squats & Deadlifts were money) and then mixed in cardio in between. I had a friend who played wide receiver in college and we would do what he called "explosive" or "burst" cardio which was a complete slay-fest but the results were great.

Stick to it fam. Diet and exercise. :)

Yeah, losing that stomach fat can be a fucking bitch. I used to do a lot of cardio but it became boring after a while. So I got into weight lifting (Squats & Deadlifts were money) and then mixed in cardio in between. I had a friend who played wide receiver in college and we would do what he called "explosive" or "burst" cardio which was a complete slay-fest but the results were great.

Stick to it fam. Diet and exercise. :)

100% agree with the explosive cardio. Sure fire way to get shredded if you work hard enough

Aizo

Banned
Where will you put it once it is loose, OP? I suggest putting up a fence prior to that so it doesn't cause trouble for your neighbors.

Jeffrey

Feel similar. Been working out hard the past 2 years doing weights and cardio. Nice shoulders and arms and legs,but feels like my gut has gotten bigger.

Wonder if it's due to my ab muscles around there getting larger? Stomach area definitely feels a bit tight when I'm full.

Wonder if this is normal? Like when I huff in fully and expand the gut it got that tightness feeling I've not felt before in the past.

I eat out daily due to work though. What options should I be picking to help? Feel like every item on your standard restaurant in America is a trap lol, especially the salads.

lMjxwrz.jpg

This prep stuff of eating cloned meals is some bodybuilder shit that just makes normal people give up because it makes life sad.

Just count calories there is no need for meal prep. If you feel hungry increase your fat and protein intake.

Also: think of basic hunger (which is NORMAL and people have felt it forever but we are spoiled and fat and think it is wrong) as your body burning fat and getting healthier. Just like thinking of muscle soreness as normal when lifting and exercising.

Feel similar. Been working out hard the past 2 years doing weights and cardio. Nice shoulders and arms and legs,but feels like my gut has gotten bigger.

Wonder if it's due to my ab muscles around there getting larger? Stomach area definitely feels a bit tight when I'm full.

Wonder if this is normal? Like when I huff in fully and expand the gut it got that tightness feeling I've not felt before in the past.

I eat out daily due to work though. What options should I be picking to help? Feel like every item on your standard restaurant in America is a trap lol, especially the salads.

You don't count calories. I guarantee it.

How are you guys measuring body fat %? I don't think I've ever had mine measured.

Want it done legit? Get a DEXA scan or similar tech.

Hoo-doo

Banned

lMjxwrz.jpg

Damn, I need to start doing this more. My work schedule impacts my meal decisions a bit.

Does it being frozen and then re-heated impact much of the nutritional value of the meal or is that just a myth?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I lift 4 times a week, run 10 miles, do martial arts, and also do intense plyometric training. Every damn week.

And yet it's my yoga sessions (1-2 times per week) that are absolutely the most productive of the bunch. There is no better, more intense, or rejuvenative workout than yoga. It supports all my other physical activities. I'd go so far as to say it's essential to any person who wants to be in good shape.

And if you don't do it, you're shortchanging yourself.

I’d agree with this. Nothing I have ever tried has had more impactful results than yoga in my experience.

theofficefan99

There are some days where I eat like 5000+ calories in a row and then I look in the mirror and my abs are more noticeable... makes no sense lol

Anyways, it really is all about your diet. I have no doubt that if I fixed my binge eating I would have abs rn (well, no shit)

Keto knocks your appetite way down.

But all of my friends who have done Keto gained the weight back because they didn't want to do Keto forever.

One friend's mom has done Keto for 30 years, though. She's thin.

It's hard to not increase your calories when you add exercise, though. Cardio drives your appetite through the roof. The solution? Count your calories.

Keto got me down from 300 to 195 doing it on and off the last few years. I maintain pretty decently without being in ketosis all the time. It's just made me a lot more mindful of all the carbs I eat throughout the week.

Jeffrey

It's confusing when ppl post in this thread that counting calories is outdated. Not eating carbs is outdated.

So...what is the latest hot fad on eating that I should be doing?

Chinbo37

I went from 93 kg to 81 kg.

I'm boxing 1 to 2x a week, karate 1x a week, lifting 2x a week and home rehab and stretching.

Stomach fat is still there but less obviously.

It's a bitch, I want to go down to 77 kg bit these last 4 to 5 kg are fucking tough to lose.

grumble

It's probably where your body stores most of it's fat. You're probably losing weight still but offsetting losses with muscle gains and burning all of the other fat in your body first.

Targeted workouts don't really work. Some abs a d pilates might get it tighter and held in better, but you just gotta keep burning calories and it'll go eventually.

Ive got the same issue. I'm 15% body fat, more muscle than I've ever had and still have a little gut that won't go away.

Considering the OP is only doing cardio, and not doing any resistance training while cutting weight, it's likely that they've lost muscle mass. Part of the weight loss will be from that instead of fat, which could leave him with a higher BF% than he'd desire.

If you wan to lose FAT instead of just lose weight you always have to resistance train. That means virtually everyone should resistance train. If you have to pick between cardio and weights to lean out, choose weights.

Theonik

You are better off doing strength training than cardio for burning fat, cardio is nice for burning calories but what you actually want is to boost your muscle mass early on so the energy goes there. That usually increases your metabolism that will help with burning the fat off quicker. Otherwise what you end up doing is the caloric deficit translates in muscle loss that reverses any progress you've made.

Lego Boss

I have cut out a lot of carbs (e.g. bread, crisps) processed sugars (chocolate, alcohol) and moved to exercising 5x times a week (2x runs; 2 xHIIT and 1x weights) and I have lost seven pounds (three kilos) in two months.

Anything that makes you feel hungry is burning something (could be muscle though, so you might need more protein), but it's working for me.

Not all calories are the same. Cut out the shit and watch your exercise regime double in effectiveness - I thought I was fit, I was but the fat was retarding my real ability. Last night I sliced three minutes off my personal best 10K.

When it happens it's awesome, but it takes time and cut the shit out!

Lego Boss

I'm boxing 1 to 2x a week, karate 1x a week, lifting 2x a week and home rehab and stretching.

It's a bitch, I want to go down to 77 kg bit these last 4 to 5 kg are fucking tough to lose.

Wow. I want to to get from 97KG to 90KG. Your target is huge. Better get translating all those saved calories into money for your new wardrobe because your clothes won't fit you any more!

Chinbo37

Wow. I want to to get from 97KG to 90KG. Your target is huge. Better get translating all those saved calories into money for your new wardrobe because your clothes won't fit you any more!

Ya it's already like that. All my clothes were xl before and size 36 pants. Now I need large and size 34.

Right now I bought a couple smaller things but I'm just mostly tightening my belts literally. Need to go shopping.

Shadybiz

Man I miss boxing so much. The gym I went to had to close because the students weren't paying the fees...can't really stay open when that happens. No other places near me. Some of the best exercise you can get.

Bladenic

Man I miss boxing so much. The gym I went to had to close because the students weren't paying the fees...can't really stay open when that happens. No other places near me. Some of the best exercise you can get.

I wanna do boxing but the gym is 75 bucks a month. Really pricey.

Lego Boss

I wanna do boxing but the gym is 75 bucks a month. Really pricey.

Do it. It's worth it. I don't think there is any better exercise. I would enrol at my local club but I have along commute and can't always get there in time.

But if you can (and you will keep it up) go for it. Nothing beats the sweet science.

Chinbo37

I'm pretty lucky my local gym is 50 a month for 2 classes a week. They have boxing and Muai Thai.

Also I do private courses with my coach 1 hour is 35 bucks (he gives me a discount).

Roubjon

Man, I just don't get it. I worked out and probably ate around 1200 Calories yesterday, maybe. I wake up and weigh myself and I'm 2 pounds heavier. I have the worst metabolism. I'l have this tummy forever :(

Bolivar687

Banned
Man, I just don't get it. I worked out and probably ate around 1200 Calories yesterday, maybe. I wake up and weigh myself and I'm 2 pounds heavier. I have the worst metabolism. I'l have this tummy forever :(

You can weigh yourself five times a day and get five different numbers. The key is to eat at a consistent caloric deficit so as to make real progress over the long term. Do away with cheat days or try to at least scale them down a bit.

Roubjon

You can weigh yourself five times a day and get five different numbers. The key is to eat at a consistent caloric deficit so as to make real progress over the long term. Do away with cheat days or try to at least scale them down a bit.

My diet has been turkey salad, low carb pita wrap turkey sandwhiches, an apple, and cottage cheese for weeks. The worst thing I"ll do is eat a few tortilla chips with hummus or something. There's also the half serving of almonds with a half serving of dark chocolate chips. Maybe the chocolate chips is making this harder. I'm just venting really.

It can just be frustrating when I count my calories and carbs and results don't show at all.

My diet has been turkey salad, low carb pita wrap turkey sandwhiches, an apple, and cottage cheese for weeks. The worst thing I"ll do is eat a few tortilla chips with hummus or something. There's also the half serving of almonds with a half serving of dark chocolate chips. Maybe the chocolate chips is making this harder. I'm just venting really.

It can just be frustrating when I count my calories and carbs and results don't show at all.

All kinds of stuff can impact your weight at any one instance. You shouldn't be saying to yourself, "I ate X calories yesterday, I should weigh Y pounds less today". You've got to be consistent at look for results over time instead. I use an app (Libra on Android) that tracks my weight and graphs a smoothed trend line. This helps me forget about the day to day fluctuations and just look for the consistently downward sloping line.

1. You can't spot reduce fat unless you are literally going surgical.

2. Properly lifting weights (aka heavy, not "let me do 60 curls of 10 pounds!") is a great calorie burner compared to the same amount of time doing cardio.

3. Some fiber/some protein/multivitamin + Calories in calories out matters more than any gimmicky diet unless you have a genetic issue with salt or gluten etc.

Roubjon

All kinds of stuff can impact your weight at any one instance. You shouldn't be saying to yourself, "I ate X calories yesterday, I should weigh Y pounds less today". You've got to be consistent at look for results over time instead. I use an app (Libra on Android) that tracks my weight and graphs a smoothed trend line. This helps me forget about the day to day fluctuations and just look for the consistently downward sloping line.

I'll try installing that.

Damn, I need to start doing this more. My work schedule impacts my meal decisions a bit.

Does it being frozen and then re-heated impact much of the nutritional value of the meal or is that just a myth?

Eww, don't freeze. It'll keep for 4 days or so, so just plan to do meal prep twice a week for an hour or two. Sunday night and Wednesday night, for instance.

Peltz

How much Yoga is necessary to go along with a 4 days workout?

Once a week for at least an hour.

Of course more is always better. Yoga should basically be an entire workout by itself. Just like chest day or leg day, there should be a yoga day which hits everything. If you lift 4 days a week (I do too by the way) then yoga should be an additional 5th day somewhere in there, not necessarily at the end. A good "place" to put yoga is one day before whatever day you intend to workout your legs. But there is no wrong place in your schedule to place it.

I can't speak about all foods, but for vegetables, freezing and nuking them definitely ruins some nutritional value.... as does steaming or burning them.

Raw, nutrient dense veggies are incredibly important.

You need to diversify your diet and shock your metabolism a bit more. Less turkey in general too - that shit is so sodium laced it will keep on water weight. Plus, you don't want all those preservatives in your system. The cottage cheese also isn't doing you too many favors (although it's certainly not too bad either).

Vegetables dude. Eat them.

Wild salmon or cod every couple of days couldn't hurt either.

Get rid of the sandwiches and start eating quinoa for carbs. Try sticking to unprocessed whole foods in general. Bread (even most whole wheat breads) are just enriched white bread flour which doesn't have the stuff you really need. True whole grains contain endosperm, germ, and bran, in contrast to refined grains, which retain only the endosperm.

If you're eating whole wheat bread from a package and the first ingredient is anything other than "Whole wheat flour," then you're eating garbage.

RDreamer

That's just how weight works. It fluctuates a lot. If you want to actually see what progress is happening you need to weigh yourself consistently every day at about the same time and look at trends over time. Otherwise you'll just keep frustrating yourself when you randomly pop on the scale. You can sometimes eat very little and pop on the scale the next day and weigh more. You can eat a ton and hop on the next day and it did nothing or even dropped. You can't look so closely, though. You need a broader picture.

Fledz

2. Properly lifting weights (aka heavy, not "let me do 60 curls of 10 pounds!") is a great calorie burner compared to the same amount of time doing cardio.

It isn't though. The benefit is actually in building additional muscle mass in a caloric surplus or maintaining the same level of muscle on a calorie deficit. When people cut, the mistake they make is lowering their weight training and continuing with cardio. What you actually want is the opposite which seems counter-intuitive but it works.

You want to still lift heavy (at maintenance, don't increase) to preserve muscle mass and eliminate general cardio while on the deficit. Light cardio like walking is fine.

I did this earlier in the year and managed to go from around 15% to around 11-12%. That's when you start to see really see lower ab definition but also just general definition all over your body due to the drop in body fat.

I've personally found intermittent fasting works the best for me in terms of caloric restriction, but it took me a long time to build up to long fasts. Also I counted absolutely everything I ate on a cut too, with MyFitnessPal. You have to, it's basically critical to measure out everything.

I can't speak about all foods, but for vegetables, freezing and nuking them definitely ruins some nutritional value.... as does steaming or burning them.

Raw, nutrient dense veggies are incredibly important.

"Fresh" produce at the grocery store is picked before it is ripe which reduces the overall nutrients. Frozen produce is more likely to be picked ripe, and freezing locks in the nutrients.

Because of this some frozen vegetables may actually be higher in nutrients than fresh.

If you get something from a farmer's market, and it's local (not everything at a farmer's market is local these days) it was probably picked fresh. Of course it's not feasible to eat all or even mostly local produce, nor should most produce be grown locally, but that's another subject.

Peltz

"Fresh" produce at the grocery store is picked before it is ripe which reduces the overall nutrients. Frozen produce is more likely to be picked ripe, and freezing locks in the nutrients.

Because of this some frozen vegetables may actually be higher in nutrients than fresh.

If you get something from a farmer's market, and it's local (not everything at a farmer's market is local these days) it was probably picked fresh. Of course it's not feasible to eat all or even mostly local produce, nor should most produce be grown locally, but that's another subject.

Good to know.

Shadybiz

Don't use the tape measure, or the scale; use the mirror. It takes time, and the weight is going to have slight fluctuations. If you stick to your diet and stick to your exercise routine, you will see results in time.

Top Bottom