• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ: 'Humongous change' in graphics not the focus for next-gen, business models are

Sentenza

Why PC has beautiful games with awesome graphics and small budget? why only in consoles if graphics get better than game got expensive???
Something something, texture are expensive.
Because you really need to keep the hardware weak to save developers.

Meanwhile, in PC gaming-related threads, people start talking about gaming at 2560x1440, 120hz, SSD and so on, as the next things almost at everyone's reach.

I thought it was mismanagement.
No, wait, I still think it's mismanagement.

No, it was bad strategic decisions. Well, only bad for Sony, because they competed with MS in a way that was clearly advantageous for MS. It was a bad strategic decision to focus so much on graphics because it increased development costs to a point that put the entire industry in the red for years.

You're just waving deep, systemic problems away with using the word "mismanagement". It was bad strategy which couldn't have been managed away.

You clearly didn't get a single word of what I wrote, anyway. So I'm not sure why you are pretending otherwise.

You wrote this:

"Well, here's an uncomfortable truth for you guys: developers in the mainstream market will *always* be focused on improving graphics, because that's what help sales the most, and if new consoles aren't going to give them enough additional hardware power, they aren't going to change philosophy, they are just going to improve graphics at expenses of other stuff."

This is what you wrote. What exactly did I misunderstand?

Please, feel free to spread even more bullshit. Don't mind the truth.

I addressed the substance of your post, you are just throwing shit around.

I never claimed I want graphics above everything else (even if-unlike you- I'm not childish enough to pretend it doesn't add to the quality of the experience), I simply argued that depriving developers of more powerful hardware isn't going to stop them from looking to ways to improve graphics.

You explicitly claimed it was what helped sales the most. It is bullshit, developers were (and still are) making a huge mistake by focusing on graphics and they need to stop doing that.

So here's the catch: if they have good hardware they are improving the graphics and then eventually using the additional power in other ways.

"Focusing on graphics", and everything else, costs money. It's not about developers' free time or whatever "possibility" the hardware holds. Your basic argument that even without increasing power, developers would still focus on graphics doesn't mean anything: it would still not lead to a big increase in development costs.

If the hardware is just barely better than the previous gen, on the other hand, they are simply going to use that additional power on better graphics, ignoring pretty much anything else.

But the money and resources that it makes sense to spend on technical quality would stay mostly the same, which is the important part, because that's what allows a developer to make money on lower sales which increases competition which leads to better quality products. The most importand budget is not "power" but "money".

If you don't agree, I don't know what game industry are following in these years.
Maybe pvpness "statistics" (about WHAT, I have NO IDEA) can help us all to see the truth.

The truth is that the games industry fucked itself good in this generation, mainly because of developers' focus on graphics. They do not understand that production quality costs money and all it does is basically increases costs of entry to market, thus limiting competition and forming an oligopoly market which is pretty much where gaming's going. Mid range and independent developers should not have focused on HD stuff.

Momentary

Banned
What games have you been playing?

Apparently not the same games you've been playing. Don't know if you know this, but getting upscaled to 720p and 1080p isn't the same thing. And last time I last time I checked graphic heavy console games like to have their frame rate dip down into the teens.

Lol, no one is looking forward to any of those things he listed. Seriously, how out of touch with the gaming community can you get? No wonder you're going under.

Yes, it´s ridiculous. All those things he mentioned benefits only the industry, not the gamer/consumer. It´s like "wow, look at our new next gen features to nickel and dime the gamers even more and our new next gen anti consumer methods like our brand new online DRM."

If the new consoles won`t meet my quality expections and i don`t see a significant leap i won´t join the party and that industry won`t get one cent from me.

On one hand, changing business models to allow for all types of games to be made would help gaming more than anything else. On the other hand, this is just going to be about soaking consumers and not increasing game variety.

Sentenza

You wrote this:

"Well, here's an uncomfortable truth for you guys: developers in the mainstream market will *always* be focused on improving graphics, because that's what help sales the most, and if new consoles aren't going to give them enough additional hardware power, they aren't going to change philosophy, they are just going to improve graphics at expenses of other stuff."

This is what you wrote. What exactly did I misunderstand?
The main point.

"Focusing on graphics", and everything else, costs money. It's not about developers' free time or whatever "possibility" the hardware holds. Your basic argument that even without increasing power, developers would still focus on graphics doesn't mean anything: it would still not lead to a big increase in development costs.
I don't really care about what it means for you, it's just an objective observation. That's what they do usually. You won't find anyone willing to publish a sequel on a "next gen console" who isn't going to try the impossible to make it look significantly better than the previous title.

But the money and resources that it makes sense to spend on technical quality would stay mostly the same, which is the important part, because that's what allows a developer to make money on lower sales which increases competition which leads to better quality products. The most importand budget is not "power" but "money".
Ok, first: I don't give a giant flying fuck about what allows developers to make money. I care about the quality of my experience, their business is their problem.
Second: that increasing quality of graphics means necessarily increasing the budget is a gargantuan bullshit. Especially when we are talking about increases mostly focused in performances.

In fact, there are plenty of small developers on tight budgets that occasionally outperformed big companies.
There are plenty of mid budget PC games developed with far less restrictions in terms of hardware that simply put in shame most of the console triple A titles.
Running the same game at 1280x720 at 30fps or at 1920x1080 at 60 fps doesn't have any significant difference in development cost, it just requires better hardware.
And that's why claiming that we absolutely need poor hardware performances to save developers from bankruptcy is just an embarrassing idiocy,

The truth is that the games industry fucked itself good in this generation, mainly because of developers' focus on graphics.
Bullshit.

Of course not. I barely even play consoles anymore. I almost play exclusively on my PC, ipad or iphone. What's the point of a console if it doesn't get me really good graphics for cheap? You know that nextgen is going to be sony and microsoft trying to get me to give them money for services I don't want on a super closed system. What's the point?

I fully agree.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Broke company not interested in spending what it takes to push technical envelopes. Film at 11.

Speak for yourself THQ.

You say that to me after reading Loghorn150's posts in this thread? Try to be a little less transparent.

You're saying that my posts are desperate? Just because I'm using logic? LMAO! You're funny.

It's amazing. I actually understand why the term "cool bro, wanna cookie" was coined. I literary don't have the mental age to comprehend, process or give a decent reply to this.

I would just ignore him.

The main point.

Details, please, not just general accusations.

I don't really care about what it means for you, it's just an objective observation.

What the hell are you talking about? What "objective observation"?

That's what they do usually. You won't find anyone willing to publish a sequel on a "next gen console" who isn't going to try the impossible to make it look significantly better than the previous title.
Err, the whole thread is about a goddamn publisher saying it's not true ffs. The entire point is that a publisher is now realising that graphics aren't that important. And objectively, the success of phone games, Wii and DS has proved that it is NOT the most important thing. That developers and publishers didn't realise this sooner was their mistake. There is nothing subjective about this.

Ok, first: I don't give a giant flying fuck about what allows developers to make money. I care about the quality of my experience, their business is their problem.

So why *exactly* did you say this:

""Well, here's an uncomfortable truth for you guys: developers in the mainstream market will *always* be focused on improving graphics, because that's what help sales the most, and if new consoles aren't going to give them enough additional hardware power, they aren't going to change philosophy, they are just going to improve graphics at expenses of other stuff.""

This is the exact quote from your post I was originally replying to. YOU were the one who originally made the business argument - and now you claim you do not care. It's just two posts back ffs.

Second: that increasing quality of graphics means necessarily increasing the budget is a gargantuan bullshit. Especially when we are talking about increases mostly focused in performances.

And of course I never said it was a technical necessity, in fact, in my post to ShockingAlberto, I explicitly said it was *not*. But the historical *fact* is that this is always what happened, regardless of what people thought "should" happen and what principles and ideas they held. Game development costs have increased with power to fully "fill out" the technical possibilities. Like a gas fills a vessel :)

In fact, there are plenty of small developers on tight budgets that occasionally outperformed big companies.
There are plenty of mid budget PC games developed with far less restrictions in terms of hardware that simply put in shame most of the console triple A titles.
Running the same game at 1280x720 at 30fps or at 1920x1080 at 60 fps doesn't have any significant difference in development cost, it just requires better hardware.
And that's why claiming that we absolutely need poor hardware performances to save developers from bankruptcy is just an embarrassing idiocy,

First, it's about keeping the market competitive. Increasing general production costs (and necessary marketing costs) is a way to keep markets closed off and not competitive.

Second, your technical arguments are obviously right, just irrelevant - I never ever said increasing costs were an unavoidable *technical* consequence of more power. I explicitly stated that it was not the case. But in actual fact, this is what *always* happened. The reason for this is that it's worth it for the bigger players and the coercive power of competition spreads this to all others.

Third, a competitive marketplace where you cannot simply "buy" quality by just investing more money than your competitors because of external limits would be, strangely, "freer" and more competitive than a market without such limits.

Bullshit.

Really now.

Sentenza

Err, the whole thread is about a goddamn publisher saying it's not true ffs.
No, the whole thread is about them claiming that they are not going to push that much on that side... And we have yet to see how that's going to work for them.

And objectively, the success of phone games, Wii and DS has proved that it is NOT the most important thing.
If anything, it just proved that when you are reaching new customers previously unused to gaming, they don't have any standard.
I wonder if that will be the case even when these people, now casual gamers, are going to consider the purchase of a second system after the first one.
Many of these customers that still don't care about graphics etc are also the kind of persons that will think "I don't need new videogames, I have already that Nintendo thing under my TV and it still works".
So why *exactly* did you say this:

""Well, here's an uncomfortable truth for you guys: developers in the mainstream market will *always* be focused on improving graphics, because that's what help sales the most, and if new consoles aren't going to give them enough additional hardware power, they aren't going to change philosophy, they are just going to improve graphics at expenses of other stuff.""
Because it's true. The next COD on PS4/Nextbox isn't going to expand maps, improve A.I. and offer longer single player campaigns. It's simply going to look a bit prettier, as much as hardware specification will consent.
That's what most developers are going to do, they are going to offer minor incremental improvements because it's way more easy to sell the idea of improvement with a prettier trailer than with substantial improvements in design, size, innovation.

And of course I never said it was a technical necessity, in fact, in my post to ShockingAlberto, I explicitly said it was *not*. But the historical *fact* is that this is always what happened, regardless of what people thought "should" happen and what principles and ideas they held. Game development costs have increased with power to fully "fill out" the technical possibilities. Like a gas fills a vessel :)
This is becoming boring.
If you know yourself that there isn't a direct, mandatory correlation between graphics and budget, that the increase in cost isn't intrinsecally unavoidable, just stop riding the same stupid attempt to advocate for cheaper hardware.
And for the record, this is what increases development costs more often than not: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484151

Second, your technical arguments are obviously right, just irrelevant
No, it's not irrelevant. It's the main point. It's what makes the whole "we need weaker hardware to save the industry" hilariously stupid.
You don't need weaker hardware. Weaker hardware doesn't make development cheaper. It can even make it more challenging and problematic at times.
You need to learn how to waste less of your budget in bad ways.

No, the whole thread is about them claiming that they are not going to push that much on that side... And we have yet to see how that's going to work for them.

Again, quoting from your previous post:

"You won't find anyone willing to publish a sequel on a "next gen console" who isn't going to try the impossible to make it look significantly better than the previous title."

I think I found one. This just means they may realise that graphics aren't the most important thing.

If anything, it just proved that when you are reaching new customers previously unused to gaming, they don't have any standard.

That's a value judgment, and besides being offensive and maybe allowing you to feel superior, it is completely unacceptable as an argument.

I wonder if that will be the case even when these people, now casual gamers, are going to consider the purchase of a second system after the first one.
Many of these customers that still don't care about graphics etc are also the kind of persons that will think "I don't need new videogames, I have already that Nintendo thing under my TV and it still works".

Sorry but this psychologising stuff is just baseless speculation. The reason is it's not really an argument is that it's easy to make these things up both for and against any point you want to make. You need to be able to support such an argument with actual data (polls or whatever) for it to make sense.

Because it's true. The next COD on PS4/Nextbox isn't going to expand maps, improve A.I. and offer longer single player campaigns. It's simply going to look a bit prettier, as much as hardware specification will consent.

And if it only does that, without anything else, it will fade as the "top" franchise and something else will take its place. It's not a bad thing really and it'll "just" become a "mature" major franchise (like maybe Madden or GTA I guess). But again: that someone will make decisions based on the principle of "graphics sells best" does NOT in ANY WAY mean it's true.

That's what most developers are going to do, they are going to minor incremental improvements because it's way more easy to sell the idea of improvement with a prettier trailer than with substantial improvements in design, size, innovation.

Your original claim was that they do it BECAUSE IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING SALES-WISE, not because it's easier or whatever. Should I quote you a third time?

This is becoming boring.

If you know yourself that isn't a direct, mandatory correlation between graphics and budget, that the increase in cost isn't intrinsecally unavoidable, just stop riding the same stupid attempt to advocate for cheaper hardware.

I know that it COULD IN THEORY happen otherwise but it NEVER HAS so far. Possibility vs reality. I know there is the theoretical possibility, it was always there, but it somehow never worked that way. I think the reason for this lies in the structure of the market, not in technology. Which is exactly why I'm saying it'd make more sense for developers to focus on lower production cost games, maybe on the Wii U, than compete in technology on the higher tech consoles.

And for the record, this is what increases development costs more often than not: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484151

The push for better hardware and its particular use stems from the same roots, I agree. And of course lower tech hardware is not the "ultimate" and best solution. It would limit the amount of money you could spend on games so it may make some sense.

No, it's not irrelevant. It's the main point. It's what makes the whole "we need weaker hardware to save the industry" hilariously stupid.

They are irrelevant because I NEVER CLAIMED that it was *theoretically* impossible to keep development costs down on better hardware for technical reasons. The reason "weaker hardware" could (or could have in the past generation) helped the industry stay more competitive is because it would have imposed limits and would have made competition more fair.

You don't need weaker hardware. Weaker hardware doesn't make development cheaper. It can even make it more challenging and problematic at times.
You need to learn how to waste less of your budget in bad ways.

If it competes, as a secondary port-machine, with stronger hardware. But if it simply limits the ultimate high-end costs, it could in theory make a market more competitive. The reason it will not work is because it's a cooperative strategy: both MS and Sony would need to release relatively lower powered platforms, and MS would imo gain a pretty large advantage in releasing better hardware. Sony may imo be "doomed" mostly for this reason. Whatever they do, MS can respond and gain a better position.

But anyway. I'm done. I'm way too old to argue with kids tbh.

Top Bottom