• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ: 'Humongous change' in graphics not the focus for next-gen, business models are

You're being unrealistic. If you think that Microsoft &/or Sony are going to give their next gen consoles another huge jump in power & graphics like they did with PS3 & 360, you're going to be disappointed.

Rather expect a minimum and be disappointed and give sony and ms a signal.
Then just keep quite and let them think its oke to bring out something 2~4 times out while the tech is there to bring out something in the range of 8~10 times in 2013~2014.

Triple U

Banned
I think his comment is being focused on too much. I mean is everybody just gonna forget the comment a few weeks ago one of the Sony execs(tretton I think) said about not revealing PS4 until the graphics jump is obvious..

Why are you guys expecting 1080p when its much more resource intensive and developers can get away with 720p with better graphics

Orayn

A change to business is exciting to me. As I see it, PC is ahead of the curve, with low budget titles such as Amnesia, top tier games such as The Witcher 2, extremely popular titles with no graphical focus whatsoever such as Minecraft, free to play MMOs such as LOTRO. The console games business model is simply no longer viable for the majority of projects. The console gaming infrastructure cannot sustain several dozen 30+ million dollar projects per year...it's a money losing proposition for the vast majority of development houses.

Short summary of my feelings: the PC gaming business model is much more attractive to me, as a consumer, than it was 5 years ago, and I hope that the console business model follows suite.

This is what people should be getting legitimately excited about. Instead, we've got the grumps in the old guard demanding more grafics and an exclusive focus on retail AAA games, dismissing anything else as pay2win, Facebook casual garbage, etc. Never change, dudes - I'm sure you don't want to.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Better not be. No excuse. Games don't cost near as much to make as people think because of graphics. It's more of the shift towards celebrity voice acting and better emphasis on sound(and thank god for that).

It's been how many years? Shit can't be 'slightly better'. It needs to be much better. And to people citing Amnesia, and other amazing PC downloads. That's what XBLA and PSN's store are. There are tons of great games coming out on the downloadable service, and there still will be, but they're not going to replace the big budget titles. Hopefully xbox and ps make their downloadable market more appealing though.

Rather expect a minimum and be disappointed and give sony and ms a signal.
Then just keep quiet and let them think its oke to bring out something 2~4 times out while the tech is there to bring out something in the range of 8~10 times in 2013~2014.

They'll be committing suicide if they do that, considering that software development costs for PS4 & 720 may increase even more so than the development costs for PS3 & 360 for publishers/developers due to another huge jump in power & graphics. We certainly don't need to be hearing more bad news about more studios going under because of it.

Why are you guys expecting 1080p when its much more resource intensive and developers can get away with 720p with better graphics

I definitely agree with you on that.

Herb

Banned
I wonder if Microsoft's policy on their LIVE services changes for the better next-gen, to allow companies to do more MMOs and bring their own services to the platform (aka, everything Gabe Newell says is wrong with Xbox, is actually fixed with their new system)?

I predict the next-gen games will fall under the "Crysis" effect. Great graphics and physics along with lackluster gameplay. It's like they're trying to make the technology work for them rather than design brand new game mechanics to compliment the tech. Expect more auto-based gameplay from now on. Ugh.

Well, throwing better graphics and archaic, myopic business models into the ring certainly hasn't worked for a number of companies this gen, so I can't see this as bad news for the industry.

Whether or not they are going to start making smarter budgeting decisions or just trying to find new ways to milk consumers is the real question.

Eideka

Banned
I predict the next-gen games will fall under the "Crysis" effect. Great graphics and physics along with lackluster gameplay. It's like they're trying to make the technology work for them rather than design brand new game mechanics to compliment the tech. Expect more auto-based gameplay from now on. Ugh.

Crysis's gameplay was excellent, in my opinion. Clearly not the example I would have chosen, the combination of good presentation and weak gameplay makes me think of Uncharted.

The way the quote is worded it sounds like he means there won't be a huge game-changing jump like going from 2D to 3D but he doesn't say that the power won't be a proper leap, it sounds like he's just referring to that type of revolutionary 2D to 3D polygons jump, which of course no one expected.

The way the quote is worded it sounds like he means there won't be a huge game-changing jump like going from 2D to 3D but he doesn't say that the power won't be a proper leap, it sounds like he's just referring to that type of revolutionary 2D to 3D polygons jump, which of course no one expected.

Considering later he says not a huge change in 3D graphics and refers to cost, you should he assume he means not a PS2 -> PS3 jump.

Considering later he says not a huge change in 3D graphics and refers to cost, you should he assume he means not a PS2 -> PS3 jump.

"not a humongous change in the foundation of 3D graphics"... to me he's clearly referencing the 2D to 3D jump he mentioned earlier. Doesn't say that there won't be a proper leap, just nothing earth-shattering like 2D to 3D.

Before everyone freaks out he's not suggesting there won't be a nice jump, it just won't be as big as the jump into this generation (which was pretty obvious with how big this gen's jump was) and it won't be the focus (graphics are not going to be the focus going forward in generations).
Exactly what I was thinking but this thread is a runaway freight train now. Oh well.

TheOddOne

Crytek: ‘Next gen consoles are overdue, tablets catching up’
Crytek founder Cevat Yerli has explained to VG247 why he feels that the next generation of console hardware is long overdue, and that the rise of advanced tablet devices could start overtaking current hardware if the industry doesn’t take action.

Speaking with VG247, Yerli revealed, “We can’t comment on or even speculate as to when, or if, the next generation will be announced. But we think that it’s time for the next generation and we think that it’s overdue already.”

The Crytek CEO also painted tablet devices as a very real threat to console specs, “The current generations are drying out and the longer we wait for the next generation of consoles, the higher the likelihood that they could fall behind tablets in terms of being the first thing people reach for when the time comes to play games.”

“Tablets are putting pressure on the gaming industry, and taking over in some ways, so that should be kept in mind.”
‘Timesplitters 4 interest isn’t high enough yet, surprises may come soon’ – Crytek
Crytek’s Cevat Yerli has revealed to VG247 that, although the studio is aware that many people want the series to return, it simply isn’t high enough to justify the project yet. But it is high enough to get the developer thinking about it.

Speaking with VG247, Yerli revealed, “I tested through my official blog to see how big the Timesplitters community is, and while the volume of responses was quite high, we feel it’s not high enough yet.”

“That being said, it did indeed trigger a deeper evaluation of what we do with Timesplitters, and I can only say this for now; we might have some surprises coming soon.”

Crysis's gameplay was excellent, in my opinion. Clearly not the example I would have chosen, the combination of good presentation and weak gameplay makes me think of Uncharted.

I disagree, Crysis gave you this suit that didn't exactly work the way I thought it would. I felt less powerful then standard human enemies, despite the "open" nature of the environment, I always end up spamming the stealth mode just to keep my energy in reserve not to mention the ridiculous"AI" hive-awareness they all have. The suit mechanics was like a jumping-jack sequence just to get it to work: stealth/off/shield/off/speed/off, etc etc. simply because they lose energy too fast. Need I also mention that the sprint whether suit activated or not depletes your energy. Ridiculous.

Uncharted at least gets it consistent, the mechanics do work to the design although I wished they would've expanded the formula than kept it context-based.

vg260

Isn't it the standard resolution for HDTVs? This wasn't the case when last gen started, but it pretty much is now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's the kind of change I'd like to see. The $60 model simply doesn't work anymore. Too many games don't fit it, and too many are going unsold as a result.

Rather than just keep the same archaic business model and increasing the graphics, companies really do need to start looking at how they price different types of games. Not everything needs to be a $60 AAA million seller.

Eideka

Banned
I disagree, Crysis gave you this suit that didn't exactly work the way I thought it would. I felt less powerful then standard human enemies, despite the "open" nature of the environment, I always end up spamming the stealth mode just to keep my energy in reserve not to mention the ridiculous"AI" hive-awareness they all have. The suit mechanics was like a jumping-jack sequence just to get it to work: stealth/off/shield/off/speed/off, etc etc. simply because they lose energy too fast. Need I also mention that the sprint whether suit activated or not depletes your energy. Ridiculous.
To each his own. For my part Crysis managed to offer the player many options as to how to tackle a given situation, while putting clear barriers. Great level design as well.

The best FPS I've played this generation, regardless of platforms.

ironcreed

Banned
Can't wait until I can pick up a nice gaming rig. I am no graphics whore or anything, but I would be lying if I said that I did not care about having something more powerful. I have gamed on consoles all my life and will still continue to do so. But it's high time I moved beyond them as well, like I should have long ago.

Except the joke will be on you. You really can't stand that the Nextbox and PS4 will be much more powerful than the WiiU.

OK, enjoy those $70 games & more of that On-Disc DLC, Day One DLC, Online passes, etc. & other ways for publishers to milk more money out of you in order to try to make back all of the money that they spent on making the games look prettier. LOL.

Fantasmo

My problem with gaming is the lack of gameplay and the tutorial overload and all the filler. I want some no brainer purchases which just doesn't happen enough. If I have to constantly keep my eye out for sales, you've just defeated the purpose of proper price tiering.

Stop charging $60 and use online stores better.

I want more Super Meat Boy, more Limbo, more Hard Corps: Uprising, more Bionic Commando Rearmed, more Metroidvanias. I've paid $15 for a few games of this caliber and type but I think the sweet spot is $10.

I want completely new $5 platformers, NES style games. The graphics don't have to be good at all, but the game has to be fun. $2 - 3 for actual old rereleased games.

I want games with good gameplay, little to no cutscenes, that takes a weekend to beat, like when I was a kid.

I want new, old school style adventure games for $5 a pop. Or old adventure games for $2 - $5 a pop.

If the price is right and the game is halfway decent, I'd buy much more frequently.
When I was a kid, I used to play games. Now I watch them for no good reason. I want to turn off my brain and play.

OK, enjoy those $70 games & more of that On-Disc DLC, Day One DLC, Online passes, etc. & other ways for publishers to milk more money out of you in order to try to make back all of the money that they spent on making the games look prettier. LOL.

As if The WiiU will not follow the same trend. There´s already DLC on the 3DS. Expect the WiiU to get in line, if they want third party developers support. The WiiU will most definitely have DLC and even on disk DLC because it´s not Nintendo´s call, it´s the publishers call. And if the games will become $70 except the same thing from the WiiU.

+Aliken+

Which is an absolute myth.

What's most likely, on the other hand...
More constraint in hardware power = less room to experimentation and more focus (and efforts) invested in the attempt of topping visuals of previous games.

I didn't say "more constraints in HW power" though I was talking about graphics.
Very often HW power is focused on getting uber realistic graphics, this increases development costs and then forces the developers to cut in other areas including innovation.

As if The WiiU will not follow the same trend. There´s already DLC on the 3DS. Expect the WiiU to get in line, if they want third party developers support. The WiiU will most definitely have DLC and even on disk DLC because it´s not Nintendo´s call, it´s the publishers call. And if the games will become $70 except the same thing from the WiiU.

Just saying, you want more better graphics? Then be prepared to pay up. Plus I can imagine that it's going to be a lot worse for PS4 & 720 than it'll be for the Wii U, due to another large increase in power & graphics. Heck, they'll probably even be less games happening on those two consoles than it would be for Wii U, because not many publishers/studios can even afford more huge software development costs (& they're already bad enough on PS3/360 as it is).

I didn't say "more constraints in HW power" though I was talking about graphics.
Very often HW power is focused on getting uber realistic graphics, this increases development costs and then forces the developers to cut in other areas including innovation.

Exactly what I've been saying.

hiryu

So the next consoles will probably be the last consoles? If there isn't a big graphical jump I just don't see the point and I suspect the overall market will shrink with many people going to their computers, tablets, and phones for their gaming fix.

+Aliken+

So the next consoles will probably be the last consoles? If there isn't a big graphical jump I just don't see the point and I suspect the overall market will shrink with many people going to their computers, tablets, and phones for their gaming fix.

Is that the only reason you play games, for the graphics?

hiryu

Is that the only reason you play games, for the graphics?

Of course not. I barely even play consoles anymore. I almost play exclusively on my PC, ipad or iphone. What's the point of a console if it doesn't get me really good graphics for cheap? You know that nextgen is going to be sony and microsoft trying to get me to give them money for services I don't want on a super closed system. What's the point?

Sentenza

I read very clearly what you said, and I stand my point.
You, like many others on GAF, are implying that with more powerful hardware developers would be focused just on improving graphics and that giving them less powerful hardware is good cause it will force them to focus on design.
Which is bullshit.

Well, here's an uncomfortable truth for you guys: developers in the mainstream market will *always* be focused on improving graphics, because that's what help sales the most, and if new consoles aren't going to give them enough additional hardware power, they aren't going to change philosophy, they are just going to improve graphics at expenses of other stuff.

"not a humongous change in the foundation of 3D graphics"... to me he's clearly referencing the 2D to 3D jump he mentioned earlier. Doesn't say that there won't be a proper leap, just nothing earth-shattering like 2D to 3D.
The fact that he's referencing costs says not a jump like this gen. This gen increased costs many times more than the cost of 2D to 3D jump.

Give it up, Heavy... desperation isn't a pretty sight.

Derrick01

Banned
This is what people should be getting legitimately excited about. Instead, we've got the grumps in the old guard demanding more grafics and an exclusive focus on retail AAA games, dismissing anything else as pay2win, Facebook casual garbage, etc. Never change, dudes - I'm sure you don't want to.

Because that's where the creative quality is in this industry (granted not as much as before but that can be solved with more budget control). Not F2P or Facebook.

njean777

Just saying, you want more better graphics? Then be prepared to pay up. Plus I can imagine that it's going to be a lot worse for PS4 & 720 than it'll be for the Wii U, due to another large increase in power & graphics. Heck, they'll probably even be less games happening on those two consoles than it would be for Wii U, because not many publishers/studios can even afford more huge software development costs (& they're already bad enough on PS3/360 as it is).

Exactly what I've been saying.

Care to explain 60/50$ games on pc that look/run a lot better then console games?

Top Bottom