• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Jcgamer60

had no idea there was an artbook, now i gotta see pics/scans!

ShenmueArtbook2.jpg

ShenmueArtbook3.jpg

ShenmueArtbook4.jpg

ShenmueArtbook6.jpg

ShenmueArtbook8.jpg

ShenmueArtbook9.jpg

ShenmueArtbook10.jpg

Jcgamer60

damn, thanks for this JC! if you don't mind my asking, about how much does this set you back when it shows up these days?

These images are from the collectors thread at the shenmue dojo forums. They are VERY rare and can sell anywhere between $700-$1200 on Ebay.

That artbook looks incredible. I must own it..........one day.

man im never gonna get that forklift statue, haha

Ha, I still need to get the Shenhua figure, forklift statue and the latest Ryo Hazuki statue.

I own a lot of shenmue stuff, but the collection just doesn't feel right without those items.

Man, I want that artbook. :)

Batt1eRatt1e

Neo Member
I just wanted to come and show my support for Shenmue. I played the original on DC and Shenmue 2 on XBOX. I post on the Playstation FB page #SaveShenmue stuff occasionally on their posts for games. I share Shenmue articles on my FB and different pages too. Here's hoping to Shenmue 1&2 HD remakes and Shenmue 3! Make our voices be heard!

I just wanted to come and show my support for Shenmue. I played the original on DC and Shenmue 2 on XBOX. I post on the Playstation FB page #SaveShenmue stuff occasionally on their posts for games. I share Shenmue articles on my FB and different pages too. Here's hoping to Shenmue 1&2 HD remakes and Shenmue 3! Make our voices be heard!

Welcome :D

Tailzo

Welcome :)

Got my Dreamcast hooked up and am about to start up the undub and see how it goes. As much as the English dub has an odd place in my heart, lord the Japanese is a lot less jarring. Ryo feels a hell of a lot less stiff in the little bit I have played so far.

Still, I want an HD collection so bad, Analog controls please!

Edit: So I tried the undub, pretty intereting, but it really feels like it's in Beta, a lot of the voices are missing (not compatible I guess) and a lot of the other ones are clearly incorrect. It seems to happen quite a lot when Ryo is asking about the black car, but it is still kinda jarring, especially when I know just enough Japanese to realize something is amiss. Might stay with it, or might just switch to a regular version.

Got my Dreamcast hooked up and am about to start up the undub and see how it goes. As much as the English dub has an odd place in my heart, lord the Japanese is a lot less jarring. Ryo feels a hell of a lot less stiff in the little bit I have played so far.

Still, I want an HD collection so bad, Analog controls please!

Edit: So I tried the undub, pretty intereting, but it really feels like it's in Beta, a lot of the voices are missing (not compatible I guess) and a lot of the other ones are clearly incorrect. It seems to happen quite a lot when Ryo is asking about the black car, but it is still kinda jarring, especially when I know just enough Japanese to realize something is amiss. Might stay with it, or might just switch to a regular version.

You've got the wrong undub. That was the first release by Sm1th. The one by Kogami is proper version. Completely translated with all voices

You've got the wrong undub. That was the first release by Sm1th. The one by Kogami is proper version. Completely translated with all voices

Yeah, just found out about that one, sigh, running out of my lightscribe discs. Not to mention it looks like I'll need 99-min discs to get that one running correctly. Still, pretty excited about that version. The game really does sound better in the Japanese.

Here's an question, and I'm not sure if anyone has an answer. In Shenmue 1, in the undubs, everyone calls Lan Di, well, Lan Di in Japanese. However I noticed when I played Shenmue 2 on DC back in the day that Lan Di was being called Soryuu, I'm speaking only about actual spoken dialogue, as all the Subs in Shenmue 2 still said Lan Di.

Yeah, just found out about that one, sigh, running out of my lightscribe discs. Not to mention it looks like I'll need 99-min discs to get that one running correctly. Still, pretty excited about that version. The game really does sound better in the Japanese.

Here's an question, and I'm not sure if anyone has an answer. In Shenmue 1, in the undubs, everyone calls Lan Di, well, Lan Di in Japanese. However I noticed when I played Shenmue 2 on DC back in the day that Lan Di was being called Soryuu, I'm speaking only about actual spoken dialogue, as all the Subs in Shenmue 2 still said Lan Di.

That's Lan Di's other name.

http://youtu.be/OgbkkLIT-Mo?t=11m25s

So do only certain people call him that? Or was there just a transfer from calling him Lan Di in Shenmue to Souryuu in Shenmue 2? If there was, it's another translation oddity with the game, it should have been mentioned. It would have been cool if gangsters and the like called him Blue Dragon or something similar, given it more of the classic Kung Fu film feel.

IrishNinja

Wait, Segata Sanshiro=Ryo's father?

and you thought he exploded in space

looks like i'm holding off on my replay for when you get those discs - i'll drop you a few bucks for a nice copy of that proper undub if you do 'em! also didn't really know that about Lan Di's name but yeah, kung-fu tropes being what they are it's cool to have multiple names/aliases. sometimes i like to think Soryuu translates to SHO NUFF.

So do only certain people call him that? Or was there just a transfer from calling him Lan Di in Shenmue to Souryuu in Shenmue 2? If there was, it's another translation oddity with the game, it should have been mentioned. It would have been cool if gangsters and the like called him Blue Dragon or something similar, given it more of the classic Kung Fu film feel.

I can't remember, I haven't play it in years. He actually has another name if you can believe it. I think it was Lung Sung? This is his real name however.

ajim

No worries!

I was thinking, with Shenmue, it's not just the desire to track down Lan Di and kick his ass and discover the secrets of the mirrors that makes me/us want the game so much. It's also the little things, like each characters' individual story.

One of my favourites and, one I'd love to learn more about is regarding Xiu Ying Hong and her brother Zi Ming Hong and their relationship and Zi Ming's straying onto the wrong path and ending up as a high ranking member of the Chi You Men.

Also the fact that she gave Ryo the other half of the stone that her brother has, assuming they will eventually cross paths.

So good and so depressing just thinking about it and knowing we probably will never, ever know about these kinds of things in Shenmue, let alone the bigger part of the story.

:(

I agree, everyone had an interesting untold story. Unfortunately, all the characters in the game remain a mystery, even those from the first game. I'm sure Suzuki's intentions were to gradually explain everyone's back story in Shenmue 3, etc.

Speaking of which, what is everyone's favorite part in the Shenmue series?

I personally have a personal attachment towards Shenmue 1, but my favorite moment is disk 4 of Shenmue 2. Strange, but true. I know Shenmue 2 is miles ahead of Shen1, but something about the first game and the last disk of Shen2 really got to me.

ajim

I agree, everyone had an interesting untold story. Unfortunately, all the characters in the game remain a mystery, even those from the first game. I'm sure Suzuki's intentions were to gradually explain everyone's back story in Shenmue 3, etc.

Speaking of which, what is everyone's favorite part in the Shenmue series?

I personally have a personal attachment towards Shenmue 1, but my favorite moment is disk 4 of Shenmue 2. Strange, but true. I know Shenmue 2 is miles ahead of Shen1, but something about the first game and the last disk of Shen2 really got to me.

I'm with you on the final disc of Shenmue II being my favourite part. Something about just walking through the forest/Guilin with Shenhua and whatnot was so beautiful, and a it just felt like we had accomplished so much in the past 2 games and it was only just going to begin and get better.

You won't find anything like disc 4 in any other game, especially when the first 3 discs preceding the fourth were entirely different paced.

Amazing stuff.

I really think that is what differentiates Shenmue fans from other fans of other games, we actually enjoyed parts of Shenmue like disc 4 that most would find 'boring' and 'dull'.

I enjoyed the leaf catching, the airing of the books and all those things because I feel like I was 'learning/developing' with Ryo in his quest.

I'm with you on the final disc of Shenmue II being my favourite part. Something about just walking through the forest/Guilin with Shenhua and whatnot was so beautiful, and a it just felt like we had accomplished so much in the past 2 games and it was only just going to begin and get better.

You won't find anything like disc 4 in any other game, especially when the first 3 discs preceding the fourth were entirely different paced.

Amazing stuff.

I really think that is what differentiates Shenmue fans from other fans of other games, we actually enjoyed parts of Shenmue like disc 4 that most would find 'boring' and 'dull'.

I enjoyed the leaf catching, the airing of the books and all those things because I feel like I was 'learning/developing' with Ryo in his quest.

I agree. I really liked how Ryo was full of vengence in the first game and didn't pay no attention to his friends. However, throughout Shenmue 2, his encounters with xiuying, the tai chi guy, the old lady, the leaf catching, the 4 wude, etc made him really grow as a person. I think this is strongly portrayed in disk 4 where he reflects on everything that he has been through, You really do get the sense that he does care deeply for his loved ones, and his once skewed perspective on vengeance is slowly starting to change. Or maybe it was just Shenhua's charm :)

All in all though, great character development that is rarely seen in videogames today. The only other game i can think of with such deep characters is the Persona series, but you already knew that. :D

Gasmeter

Banned

I remember talking those pictures, every time I hold it you honestly feel like your holding magic. Like owning Action Comics issue 1. Its well sealed and in the collection. But its one of the few serious rarities. It was only on sale at the Sega booth of TGS 1999. But a few people do have it outside Asia.

Maligna

Banned
Guys, I'm actually starting to think nothing new Shenmue related is going to come out of the GDC thing. For some reason I'm envisioning Suzuki pulling a Kenji Inafune move (Mighty No9) and announcing a spiritual Shenmue successor to be funded through Kickstarter.

Would you guys be into that sort of thing if Shenmue is officially off the table?

Guys, I'm actually starting to think nothing new Shenmue related is going to come out of the GDC thing. For some reason I'm envisioning Suzuki pulling a Kenji Inafune move (Mighty No9) and announcing a spiritual Shenmue successor to be funded through Kickstarter.

Would you guys be into that sort of thing if Shenmue is officially off the table?

I dont think we'll get any announcements, but i think we'll get some of our questions answered. For example, what's the deal with shenmue and the ps4; mark cerny and suzuki; #buildingthelist; sega losing the trademark, HD remake, Shenmue 3, etc, etc.

IrishNinja

massive & beautiful OP overhaul courtesy of JCgamer60), best community keeps on givin'

*edit is there anyway we can link to a legit file on the Undub in said OP? might go against the TOS, but i think it at least bears mentioning

IrishNinja

^agreed! i still think the ship you start part 2 in is one of the most iconic bits of that game, personally...but for character profiles, it came out really nice.

Top Bottom