• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Cairnsay

Banned
I saw this thread start up last week and knew I wanted to get involved, as you can probably tell from the avatar I’m a pretty huge Shenmue fan. I was 15 when it came out here in the UK , and whilst I’d been playing video games since the Mega Drive era I think this was the first one that I can say truly shaped my tastes as a gamer. It seems like yesterday I was sitting on the edge of my bed, in my tiny bedroom at the back of the house exploring Dobuita, or powering about the docks on my forklift truck. I don’t think there is any other game that have put the player in the kind of mindset where you just want live in the world, at the start of each day I’d have a sort of vague plan for the day, got to walk down through Yamanose and Sakuragaoka into Dobuita, dig further into whatever leads I was investigating at that stage of the game, go visit Nozomi, play some arcade games, talk to Tom, train in the parking lot. It really was awesome both in telling its revenge story, and conveying an amazing sense of place and atmosphere.

I bought the second the day it came out and at first was actually a little apprehensive about just how large the world seemed. In Shenmue I knew the street layouts (and later warehouse layouts) from memory, probably still do, Wan Chai, with all its different quarters, streets, back alleys, parks and people seemed like it would be impossible to ever know by memory. However that’s what I grew to love about it, it felt like a bustling metropolis, and as it turned out I ended up knowing the layout by memory anyway after countless playthroughs. Kowloon still ranks as one of my favorite locations in any videogame, I remember it being so seedy and threatening. I really felt like I was closing in on Lan Di, culminating in the showdown with Dou Niu on the rooftop where, after almost two full games and maybe for the last time) we finally see Lan Di in person again, tantalizingly close, yet unreachable. I know these are not the most eloquent couple of paragraphs, but there’s I wanted to convey just how much I loved these two games without writing 2000 words!

In terms of this GDC talk, I really can’t see anything being announced, it is after all a post-mortem on the first 2 games. The eternal optimist in me thinks we may get something in the coming years, especially with Adam Boyes and a few other Sony people mentioning it has topped ‘the list’ of most requested games. I think it’s far more likely that this will lead (finally) to the HD releases of the first two games, rather than an outright 3rd game. I just can’t see a company (other than maybe Sony) willing to put up the kind of money making Shenmue 3 PROPERLY would take. I stress the word properly as I’m of the mind where if they were to do a Shenmue 3 I’d want it to be like the first two games, huge game worlds, lots of people on the screen going about their daily lives, a sprawling story that spans numerous locations etc. I am not interested in playing Shenmue 3 in say tight episodes with no exploration, or have it be like an interactive novel. Also ignoring the money side of it, building a game as big as Shenmue 3 would need to be would surely mean even if it was announced that they were going to be starting work on it after GDC, we’d be looking at mid 2016 at the very earliest, meaning that if I am to ever a reach the end of my favorite gaming series, one that I started when I was 15, I would be in my early 30’s, which seems pretty crazy!

Synth

I would be happy with it going to absolutely any platform. Hopefully on as many platforms as possible.

Although I would be happy with it on any platform (within reason... I don't want it for N-Gage), it would definitely put my mind at ease if it were announced as a PS4 exclusive with Sony backing it. That would ensure that it can be as technically sound as possible, whilst also making it more likely to be given a sufficient budget. It would almost certainly hold more value to a platform owner as a distinguishing piece of software, than it would for a publisher as a means of making money (Shenmue would have never happened if Sega didn't need a flagship for its console).

I know I am in the wrong thread, but i figure Dcast is Dcast. Does anyone know of a good guide for Skies of Arcadia? I dont plan on buying the $70 used guide if i could even get my hands on one. Possibly a PDF or something?

I know I am in the wrong thread, but i figure Dcast is Dcast. Does anyone know of a good guide for Skies of Arcadia? I dont plan on buying the $70 used guide if i could even get my hands on one. Possibly a PDF or something?

Id prob say check out gamefaqs, or watch a let's play on youtube. Im sure a google search will give you all the resources you need.

Id prob say check out gamefaqs, or watch a let's play on youtube. Im sure a google search will give you all the resources you need.

Thanks, I looked online and all I found was the typical notepad text style guide. I was looking for a more updated format. But hey I used a text based guide for Windwaker, I can do it for this. Thanks again.

Thanks, I looked online and all I found was the typical notepad text style guide. I was looking for a more updated format. But hey I used a text based guide for Windwaker, I can do it for this. Thanks again.

No problem. I still need to play skies, but i was holding off for an hd release. Since Sega have screwed us over yet again, I might aswell get the old dreamcast out of the cupboard.

No problem. I still need to play skies, but i was holding off for an hd release. Since Sega have screwed us over yet again, I might aswell get the old dreamcast out of the cupboard.

Thats what I did. It was quite tough to get a good copy of Skies for under 60$ I was able to get the whole thing is near mint condition for 63 and even had to order manual separately

I've re-bought Shenmue (since original way back) about three times in the past few years. My first copy I lost when moving, my second was the result of broken discs, and the third, is now cherished and barely cracked (except on my annual Winter playthrough).

I fucking love Shenmue.

Honestly - This has to be the year - I feel there is so much pointing to this next week.

I mean like this tweet from last year: https://twitter.com/megganpez/status/317526010922954753

From the GM of Game Developers Conference.

I really, really have a fond place in my heart for Shenmue, and would love to see it breath new life once again. Time will tell people,,, time will tell.

I have to say it is a hopeful year. If we hear nothing at GDC, E3, or TGS, then i will cry a river. I really want a Shenmue 3 with Suzuki and Cerny involved

Midou

If this postmortem comes and goes with nothing, then I give up all hope forever, and I have always held a lot of hope. If all they do is Shenmue 1&2 HD, I'd still be excited, cause that would certainly be good to gauge interest, as long as they re-dubbed and re-did the controls.

Would buy any platform it comes to, currently only thing I don't have is an XB1, would buy.

If this postmortem comes and goes with nothing, then I give up all hope forever, and I have always held a lot of hope. If all they do is Shenmue 1&2 HD, I'd still be excited, cause that would certainly be good to gauge interest, as long as they re-dubbed and re-did the controls.

Would buy any platform it comes to, currently only thing I don't have is an XB1, would buy.

I doubt they would do a re-dub. If they did, I would like them to keep Ryo, Fuku-san, Gui Zhang, Tom, and maybe Goro's voices. I've sorta got attached to them.

One thing that ruined Shenmue 2x for me was Shenhua's voice. It was perfect in Shenmue 1, Dont know why they changed it.

Midou

I doubt they would do a re-dub. If they did, I would like them to keep Ryo, Fuku-san, Gui Zhang, Tom, and maybe Goro's voices. I've sorta got attached to them.

One thing that ruined Shenmue 2x for me was Shenhua's voice. It was perfect in Shenmue 1, Dont know why they changed it.

I also got attached to a lot of those voices, I mean moreso for like random NPCs, but I guess it would be awkward to only re-dub part of it. I do think it may be necessary for the average joe to take it a bit more seriously though. If a Shenmue 1&2 HD-make could capture new fans and old, it may just give enough justification for a Shenmue 3, but I doubt they will even try that.

Fuck SEGA so much, no PSO2, no Yakuza 5 and Ishin, One day I may just learn Japanese...

Hopefully, this is the end result of GDC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqVqQtWv7NE

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

Trojan X

Banned

I see you using my Avatar. :)

I've been using my Avatar since it was first released as a wallpaper by SEGA, which was over 15 years ago, so you should change.

Back to the thread. You know what else should happen for Shenmue 3? THey should let Donnie Yen do the fight choreography, especially in focus for Lan Di. It would be frigging awesome!! The last fight choreography he did was the onimusha III intro and that was pretty godly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tki5y2Llyp8

Donnie Yen on set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3jp3iwT97o

Only Donnie Yen can make Lan Di even more badass than he can ever be.

Omikaru

Hopefully, this is the end result of GDC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqVqQtWv7NE

This is pretty amusing, but should we really be getting hyped for the GDC postmortem?

I'm interested in the talk, but I have no expectations of game announcements. Anything that does get announced will be a legitimate surprise for me.

Sorry to be a killjoy if I have been, but I've been through this too many times, and I don't want to be disappointed. I'd rather gain some fascinating insights into the process of making the first two games rather than hope for anything new in terms of announcements.

Batt1eRatt1e

Neo Member
I regret to inform fellow Shenmue fans that last month's Official Playstation Magazine UK "series of massive significance" that would be revealed in the March issue have in fact not been related to Shenmue. Rumors were swirling that it had to be either Shenmue or Crash Bandicoot and I know a lot of Shenmue resources that were believing, myself included, that this was concerning Shenmue. It's actually concerning Batman: Arkham Knight. They overstated the historic level of significance by far, as by the time the magazine released this was old news. Also, I don't think people feel that the Batman gaming series is that significant in the terms they were talking about.

The story is on N4G and the original source is from dualshocker.com. I can't link it as I'm at work and the sites are blocked. Hold your heads high Shenmue fans, GDC is around the corner and if we are blessed we will receive the news we have all been waiting for.

Just give me a downloadable title where I visit Lan Di's House and I stab him in this throat while he sleeps and I'll be satisfied. The end.

Nander

I think something Shenmue related could very well be announced, but I won't get my hopes up for a proper Shenmue 3. It just hurts too much. :(

I think something Shenmue related could very well be announced, but I won't get my hopes up for a proper Shenmue 3. It just hurts too much. :(

I understand that, but I gotta be honest: I haven't been this excited over Shenmue since I found out part 2 was coming out for Xbox. Can't help myself. :)

- Sony sets up a third-party division dedicated to working with other publishers in order to make sought-after localisations and ports become a reality.
- Sony asks via Twitter what Playstation owners want most to come to their consoles, the most popular answer being Shenmue.
- Architect of PS4 Mark Cerny set to translate Yu Suzuki at a GDC presentation revolving around Shenmue.

Come on, this has to go somewhere.

Top Bottom