• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

SpotAnime

I do want NMS to be good. I love the promise and the potential. I just hated, hated, HATED the execution. I know there's a bigger story to be told (someone here mentioned Hello Games was running out of money so they had to release the game in haste to stay afloat) and it's easy to hate on HG but I'd love to see their redemption arch with this and subsequent updates.

I'm sure I'll play again. I hope this pulls me back in.

Overpromise.

Underdeliver.

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen anything they've done since launch. Both of the updates have delivered a lot of undocumented upgrades beyond their stated scope.

They also just got done with a 2 month long really well done ARG hyping this patch, so I'm definitely looking forward to whatever is in store.

I marked it alright but that was a system or two ago. May still try and backtrack.

I'm figuring that you will be able to scan for portals just like you can scan for bases and other points of interest with this new update, so that might not even be necessary!

night814

Tried playing this a few months ago once I got a PS4 and I couldn't stomach it past a few hours. Not a fan of these "make your own adventure" games.

paulogy

I wonder how much resource gathering it will take to activate a portal? Probably quite a bit.
And will it be powered forever at that point, or for only a certain period of time?
And what will happen if two people use portals to select the same location in space (and time).... ?

So many questions! :)

Every update released so far delivered in a big way and I've been pretty happy with them. Even features I thought went against the core focus of the game and wouldn't work (base building), worked.

For all the issues, negativity, and vitriol that have come the game and the developers' way, the post-launch support has been fantastic.

owlbeak

I loved launch NMS, played it a ton. I haven't really gone back since any of the content updates, but this sounds like a great time to check it out! Looking forward to it! :D

CHC

Sounds meaty. I also really appreciate you (the OP) putting bullet points of everything that's changed since launch. As someone that is generally positive about the game but hasn't actually played it since day 1 it's great to see what exactly has changed.

Looking forward to checking this thing out sometime in the future. Definitely appreciate all the work HG has done post launch, and also enjoy having a good laugh at the feeble shit posts that can't get over their year-old disappointments.

Happy to see that they are trying to make it right.

Sean's capacity to lie and Sony's marketing push kinda screwed these guys over. But they made a pretty bank so hopefully they stay on and make it better!

Protome

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.

You have to remember how small Hello Games are and how relatively small their previous games were. I'd be willing to wager that even losing the people who piled on the NMS "broken promise" bandwagon left them with a sizable userbase especially compared to their previous games.

Their reputation is only really tarnished will a small bit vocal subset of their community anyway, so I don't see why they'd care about that. These updates aren't for those people, they were never going to play NMS again anyway.

Meliora

I really enjoyed the ARG and also played the game a lot when it was released one year ago. I haven't played it much since the updates, but I'm really excited to get back to it now!

MrBS

Expanding the story eh? Not sure if its been addressed already if not I hope this addresses that part of the game you get locked out of if you don't hoard the atlus stones.

Saganator

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.

Think of it as trying to restore their brand reputation. It's also a passion project for them and they know they didn't deliver, so they're trying to make good on that.

Mathieran

Banned
Hmm I was expecting a bit more than that tbh. Oh well. I haven't played since launch, when I finally get back to playing this it will be a lot different.

Every. Fucking. Thread. 

Derailed by this bullshit.
Yeah but Sean lied and ruined our lives, we are never gonna let that go.

Not one person is allowed to go into a thread about no man's lie and not have Sean's transgressions and my eternal suffering violently shoved in their face.

Over my dead body!!1!1

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to checking out those new story bits. Hope they add even more story in the future.
Every. Fucking. Thread. 

Derailed by this bullshit.

I'm legit surprised that these posters slip by the mods for doing this in every NMS thread.

AR15mex

I just bought the game from ebay at 15 dlls was a steal. Lets hope its all good. I love being a LTTP gamer!!!

Hopeford

Hope they add more to base building. If base building got just a tiny bit closer to Fallout 4's settlement stuff I'd be so in. The current system feels very close to what I want buuuut not quite there yet.

OmegaDL50

Generally when I claim to not care about something. I usually ignore it with indifference and rather spend that time talking about a game or topic I enjoy.

I wonder what it is about NMS that causes folks to do the opposite in every single thread about the game without fail.

cwistofu

What are the essential mods for this game now? Just bought it on sale from Humble Bundle, and it looks like 1.2 broke a lot of early mods..

Saganator

It would be really neat if they slip MP in with out saying anything. Everyone finds out when two people finally meet up on accident.

Generally when I claim to not care about something. I usually ignore it with indifference and rather spend that time talking about a game or topic I enjoy.

I wonder what it is about NMS that causes folks to do the opposite in every single thread about the game without fail.

To read posts like these and all the others. That's why they do it.

Gestault

Looking forward to checking out those new story bits. Hope they add even more story in the future.

I'm legit surprised that these posters slip by the mods for doing this in every NMS thread.

Report them if you think it's worth their attention. Moderation relies on participation.

Lom1lo

I hope its possible to have more than one Base now and a ship type that can carry the Rover would be nice too.. Dont care that much about Portals, I think more mission types or biomes per planet are much more important.

Wait, so does that mean those portals that have been in the game since launch finally have a purpose?

It would be really neat if they slip MP in with out saying anything. Everyone finds out when two people finally meet up on accident.
The game had like 212k people playing on PC at the time that happened around launch (though I think it happened on PS4, so the population was even higher). The game's nowhere near that popular now, and even if they added multiplayer, I doubt anybody would ever actually be capable of meeting up again.

People who paid money for a game developed by a compulsive liar.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Was secretly hoping for a PSVR mode, even a limited "demo" version would've been cool, but I'll take a better story and hopefully more UI/QoL improvements. My hope is that them hyping the story through this email (and to some extent the ARG) that it really is a significant upgrade. But I won't hold my breath.

But I'm glad to have an excuse to play again. Been wanting to restart the game anyway since I didn't dig too deep into the first update and when I went to try the second, the game crashed almost immediately and I lost interest. I still follow Hello Games and Sean on Twitter so I see photos they post from the game and I'm always like "ugh, I want to get back in." Now seems like a good time.

People who paid money for a game developed by a compulsive liar.

xqGyd5q.gif

Zarth

Updates are cool but the mass market has moved on and all but the most loyal of fans aren't giving these guys the time of day anymore. I expected all this at launch with some form of asymmetric multiplayer.

The real truth here is the ARG was cooler than anything No Man's Sky contains or will ever contain.

They should quit what they are doing and go into ARG development cause they're much better at it...

c0Zm1c

Hopefully the story expansion is more than just more text. Something more tangible in terms of gameplay would be great, like specific missions (and not just fetch quests!) with NPCs but I fear that's hoping for a little too much.

I'm wondering if it's even worth subbing to this thread, given we're only on the second page and it's already shit up. :\

This game would benefit so much by having even some rudimentary systems in place, working and giving you fair rewards. But that's what it needs the most - simulated systems, emergent gameplay, that sense of mystery and exploration.

Now, "improving the central story" might actually mean plenty of things, like actually adding or fleshing out existing systems so that the "central story" revolves around new/better ways of making money, doing missions, having greater/any impact on NPCs/factions and having better tools for exploration, all for the purpose of doing whatever is necessary to finish this new questline. How it's worded though, sounds like it might be much more similar to the "builders questlines", which is probably more realistic (and disappointing). One thing to add to that though is that I don't really think we'll just get a new rudimentary story without adding some new gameplay elements, because the two previous updates took a few months as well and added a bunch of other content as well, so there's something to be hopeful in there.

Same thing with the portals, the wording in the email sounds like they're just the teleporters we have on space stations, but on ground, which is beyond pointless. So at the very least I'm sure we'll get a way of learning the new glyphs/language, and then having at least some other purpose for activating those portals apart from a quick travel reason which, again, is completely pointless, because traveling to anywhere in this game has almost no incentive, because anywhere is just like anywhere else and there's almost no uniqueness to planets (in terms of gameplay incentives).

This used to be so much worse before the big patches, because I could basically upgrade a third of my suit's slots, learn maybe a tenth of a language and get a pretty considerable chunk of blueprints on a single planet. And the most drastic changes they've done to alleviate that problem is to drastically reduce the occurrence of those elements, so basically making it more grindy by relying on randomization even more.

Anyway, I'm sure there's more good stuff in the patch, and it's commendable that they've been supporting the game for free for a year now, but I can't imagine them doing it for free for much longer, because whatever the public may think of them, they're still game developers bleeding money. And if they keep adding more filler material (with some neat cool stuff inbetween) without fundamentally improving the core systems, I can't really see people giving them money for any larger future updates either (not to mention the whole public image thing either).

I'm sure I'll play through whatever they've added in this update, but I'm not hoping for too much. At least I'll either be alright with whatever's in there, or be pleasantly surprised if there are fundamental gameplay improvements.

It's $24 right now on ps store... Should I?

If you like games like Minecraft, I'd recommend giving it a go! It shares a lot with MC since one of your main activities is gathering resources to come back to and build a base, constantly improving your tools and even getting vehicles to make the process faster and more rewarding. You can even share your co-ordinates in the world with someone on Neogaf for example and they can try to visit your base!

Top Bottom