• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

1.00/1.50 is not that much. They have to cover the additional cost of rewriting the per title emulators to work with the pad.

Except buying the games directly from the Wii U Virtual Console costs exactly the same as buying them on the Wii Virtual Console. That is with Gamepad support.

Previous owners are being charged for the transfer while people who held out are being charged nothing extra for the new features.

The question isn't sincere because it focuses on a nitpicking of my words rather than honestly thinking about my intention, so I don't need to answer it sincerely.

No, i honestly want to know why you (or anyone) would be so fussed over truly owning a digital version of a game when you already have a physical one. There are the benefits, say a newer system being more reliable than an older one, cleaner graphics (in the case of N64) and for Wii U now, gamepad support. But you spoke as if your only concern is truly owning it, and you already do, so why is it such a bother?

Tiu Neo

If I buy Portal 2 on Steam do I have to rebuy it on PS3?

If I buy a PSP UMD do I have to rebuy it on Vita or PSP Go?

If I buy a PC Steam game do I have to rebuy it on Mac? Does it even work on Mac at all?

If I buy Bastion on XBLA do I have to rebuy it on iOS or Steam?

If I buy XBLA / PSN games will they run on Durango/Orbis at all?

So many questions!

Actually, if you buy PS3 Portal 2, you get the PC version. Also, yes, if the game has a MAC version on steam, you can get it if you bought the PC version.

PSP UMD to digital is another case. I don't see a lot of people complaining about buying VC games, if they had the game on it's original system. Also, Sony messed up quite a bit on this one, since there are some games that aren't available digitally.

Also, why would Apple or Google honor the sale made by Microsoft?

This last question, actually, is a good one. I hope it works, or people WILL complain.

...that said, I think $1 or $1.5 for the upgraded emulator is a very good deal, with the new features. I'll probably upgrade some of my games, but not all of them.

Lothars

I can't believe anyone is defending nintendo for charging again for the virtual console games that you already own.

This is not acceptable at all.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd also add that most of us re-bought a lot of physical games on VC. I mean, I own SMB on NES. I rebought it on VC. Nintendo is now reselling it on 3DS VC. Can I have an option, even if it costs more, to just buy SMB once and for all?

I think it gets a little more problematic when you look at the big picture. I have maybe 1500 games right now, across all platforms--and probably almost 1000 of them are digital. That ratio is going to keep getting more lopsided. So I'm extremely nervous about trends in digital content which require me to spend more to "maintain" the games I own.

I re-purchased a few things to, and you know, it really doesn't bother me. I still have the original systems the original games were on. I still got what I paid for there, and probably got much more than it's monetary value out of it.

Even if you think of the big picture... what is there to be scared of? The idea that 4 or 5 years down the line, you might have to re-buy a new license to play an old game on a new system?

One good thing to keep in mind with trends, is that some of the worse will weed themselves out, and won't be able to survive, due to poor implimentation.

The best will go stronger, and be copied by many until the cows come home.

The only thing that matters, with the WiiU case now, is if the value being paid out is worth it for the features being gained now.

Yeah Stump, it's come to the point where we shouldn't trust Nintendo's digital commerce policy. Sony offers much more value when you purchase old games from them, you can be confident that those purchases will stay with you across new consoles and Nintendo is giving us the middle finger in that regard.

Sony offers "more value"... at their second attempt attempt at backwards compatability with the system.

As a 360 owner for most of this gen (with a new Vita and PSGirll purchased last year), the fact that the more-expensive PS3 took AWAY it's backards compat, was probably one of the worse things to me. I still cherish my 360's always-available backward compat more, in some ways.

However, what Sony has now with Crossplay and 1-title purchase on 2 or 3 current systems is really nice/ Some of the best ideas currently out there... but who'se to say this'll carry on PS4? So far, I see Sony making some good decisions to support some secondary-to-Nintendo popularity handheld systems (such as the 1 title purchase for all plats stuff, and Crossbuy) and then some HORRIBLE ones (like the expense of Vita memory cards, and refusal to lower prices on them).

Looking at Vita Card prices for anything worthwhile, VS the prices I'll end up paying to convert a large amount of VC games (At least I can play those bit-by-bit!), I feel like I'm looking at the same money, just distributed in different ways. And I'm actually happier if Nintendo's method gives money to a variety of developers, than Sony just getting more money from their proprietary memory system.

Often times, companies that have ground to gain, will offer some solid deals... it's part of catching up. But I think it's kind of naive to think 1 good deal states "this is the way everyone will do it!"

Personally, for all you can speak of how positive Sony is by saving a few dollars with cross-platform functionality, I'd gladly play a few dollars per title, in order to see the online universe style implimentation of Miiverse adapted to the games I like.

It sucks that most small PSN releases are give out with little fanfare, and generate almost no community buzz. At least Nintendo's screenshots and conversation features are 1 step closer to leaderboards and an archive to collect your gameplay achievements! Vita can take screenshots, but... that's about it. No built-in ways to share them!

For 4 to 6 quaters, I get to have my Wii VC titles upgraded to Wii U ones. I'd spend more than that in 10 minutes on a hard arcade machine. For now, this "Upgrade" means I'll have these games on access, as full "TV" or "Gamepad" games, surely, for the next few years. I'll be posting screenshots from my game, engaging in a fresh community of players, old a new, who show interest... all for a few quaters.

That's more than worth the meager price of admission.

I'd pay that 'extra fee' for 3DS downloadable version too if they could somehow link them.

Like I don't want to have to chose Mario 3 on 3DS or Wii U cause I don't want to pay full price twice (again lol).

But I wouldn't mind buy it on Wii U then have access to the 3DS one for $1 extra.

I know Sony do it for free and obviously that would be preferable but meh, some Nintendo games would be worth it IMO to have at home on TV and handheld.

Hero

I do agree that once you purchase a game like Super Mario Bros. you should be able to access and play it on every Nintendo device you own, Wii/3DS/Wii U, etc.

Again, I think the "Wii Mode" argument is very thin, because it is significantly less convenient (requires a lengthy reboot process, requires a separate controller) than any other form of BC. Even rebooting from W95 into Pure DOS was quicker and required less, and that was a nightmare.

It's not the most elegant solution but it's available to everyone for free. It's also possible that the boot process will be addressed in a system update. Also what's the issue with needing a controller? Why would you own Wii Virtual Console titles if you didn't own a Wii?

rjc571

Banned
The fact that GBA Virtual Console games are coming to the Wii U rather than the 3DS seems to suggest that the 3DS is having trouble running a GBA emulator that works up to Nintendo's emulation standards. I really wish that Nintendo didn't stick such a gimped CPU into the 3DS.

I guess I'm just not as mad as everyone else because frankly I was expecting we'd have to pay full price for the Wii U "upgraded" versions :lol

I totally sympathize that it sucks for a lot of people though, especially those who have most strongly supposed the original Wii Virtual Console. I didn't buy *that* many games. Maybe about 15-20 in total.

25 bucks to play them all on the GamePad with Miiverse support? Yeah I can deal with that.

I agree, more or less. There's a hint of dispiritedness though in being glad Nintendo was willing to offer the discount at all.

I don't think people asking for a more uniform approach to the VC are being unreasonable. Nintendo needs to at least get on bringing the NNID to the 3DS.

olimpia84

Prices are ridiculous. $8-10 or so to play snes rom dumps... Fuck off Nintendo. Thank goodness their other announcements weren't bad cuz the prices are way too much and to have people pay again to "own" it on Wii u is absurd

So much confusion here. The thing is you don't have to pay anything. The transfer from Wii to Wii U is free. You only pay if you want the additional features such as online Miiverse integration and off-TV gamepad play.

serplux

So...will we ever see Atari on Nintendo's VC? I know they had this big fight in the past, but it's free money (although I don't know how well their games hold up nowadays, even digitally, plus the pricing questions).

Also, why GBA titles for the Wii U instead of 3DS? They better not be doing this solely for the ambassadors, 'cause that's pretty weird not to have your classic portable systems on your current portable system. I sorta expect GB/GBC games on the Wii U as well (with possibly a lower price for purchasing them on the 3DS, at least in my dreams).

Finally, I fully expect that Dreamcast games will turn up when Gamecube games do, and Saturn games when the N64 arrives.

Shoyz

So much confusion here. The thing is you don't have to pay anything. The transfer from Wii to Wii U is free. You only pay if you want the additional features such as online Miiverse integration and off-TV gamepad play.

Pay more to run the roms you bought on the new emulator which should be given for free.

Its annoying to pay but bat 99p and £1.50 its hard to complain especially when factoring in off TV screen support and miiverse integration. I'm soooooo happy with my early Wii purchase right now

evanmisha

* After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price.

Boom.

If I buy a PC Steam game do I have to rebuy it on Mac? Does it even work on Mac at all?

So many questions!

So you really think this is the same as software being released on 2 completely different pieces of hardware made by 2 completely different companies? Keep reaching there.

As for the UMD thing, Sony did catch a lot of shit for that, and that was a physical medium. This is digital to digital. People want their VC games to transfer to..VC. Its crazy that you would even have to ask, but like SmokeyDave said, that's Nintndo. Should expected at this point.

So many questions!
That portal 2 example is poor considering they gave away the PC version with the PS3 game. Not to mention Valve gave it away on a number of occurrences.
If you buy a Steam PC game, you don't have to pay a single penny the day it's released on Mac.

But yeah, you're right, when moving between media (digital/physical) and platform holders, the rule is to make people pay. Which is sadly not what is being discussed here. Keep on trucking and we should reach the fabled land of car and pizza analogies pretty soon.

Dave hit it earlier with the retina upgrade example: we've been bitching for years whenever a game didn't get a universal version or update.

serplux

The fact that GBA Virtual Console games are coming to the Wii U rather than the 3DS seems to suggest that the 3DS is having trouble running a GBA emulator that works up to Nintendo's emulation standards. I really wish that Nintendo didn't stick such a gimped CPU into the 3DS.

The DS could already run the GBA, and the 3DS still has some of the hardware that supported GBA BC from the DS, so I can't see that the fact that it is too hard to do the reason why it's not appearing yet.

Somnid

It suggests they didn't talk about 3DS at all. 3DS can naively run GBA code, and they never said they weren't doing it, just no plans outside of Ambassador games.

dock

The 30c promotion is really interesting. I'll pick up Balloon Fight tonight.

its a buck you cheap fucks. Its free. In exchange for Miiverse integration and off tv play. Seems more than fair
I have dozens of Wii virtual console games.
It will cost more than $100 to transfer them all to my Wii U.

I'm glad that there's some solution, but Nintendo's account system is a complete mess.

I'd pay $1 just to have them on my Wii U home menu screen and (HOPEFULLY) proper Activity Log. :p

Miiverse/gamepad screen support is an awesome icing on the cake.

The way they implemented Wii stuff, like hid it away in its own little corner not associated with anything Wii U was annoying to me. Have to boot up the whole different OS each time, no records or anything.

At least 3DS counts your DS stuff individually not just 'played some old shit on Monday'.

I guess I'm just not as mad as everyone else because frankly I was expecting we'd have to pay full price for the Wii U "upgraded" versions :lol

I totally sympathize that it sucks for a lot of people though, especially those who have most strongly supposed the original Wii Virtual Console. I didn't buy *that* many games. Maybe about 15-20 in total.

25 bucks to play them all on the GamePad with Miiverse support? Yeah I can deal with that.

This is pretty much me exactly.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Do I actually have to have done the Wii > Wii U transfer process in order to rebuy them with the discount?

Jazzem

I just.. FFS. Basically that means I will never, ever buy a VC game until they eventually get to PAL60 support GC games. SNES and N64 miss out AGAIN.

It's absolutely ridiculous...I wish the media would create a stink about it, but they probably won't as it doesn't affect the US...I can't believe 50Hz is still an issue in 2013

If I buy Portal 2 on Steam I can play it on the next PC I build as well.

If I buy any Wii U eShop games they're tied to that console. If my console dies, those purchases die with it. Shitty policy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Well that kinda blows. So the only way to get the discount is if you already have the VC games on Wii U, and you really are just paying to "free" them from the Wii mode.

I want to keep my Wii around and and play my old games on another TV, but Nintendo clearly doesn't allow for this "wild" scenario. :p

Well.... homebrewed Wii, so I'll get what I want anyway .... :/ (by backing up my NAND before transfer process, and restoring)

serplux

I can't believe anyone is defending nintendo for charging again for the virtual console games that you already own.

This is not acceptable at all.

You know, there are some people who didn't purchase a ton of VC games (making the cost insignificant), and the people who did purchase 50+ VC games may only want to upgrade their some of their VC library, so it's really not all that much for Miiverse + customizable controls + Gamepad only support.

switching wii mode is that big of a deal to you people really?
I don't like the black border around the screen in Wii mode that doesn't exist when I'm using an actual Wii. I also don't like the improper aspect ratio when I'm playing VC games in Wii mode on the Wii U.

So yes, this is a big deal, the VC games are fucking gimped.
You know, there are some people who didn't purchase a ton of VC games (making the cost insignificant), and the people who did purchase 50+ VC games may only want to upgrade their some of their VC library, so it's really not all that much for Miiverse + customizable controls + Gamepad only support.
And there are some people who have invested a significant amount of money in a large VC library and they don't want to pay for those games all over again, and then again when the next console comes out. It's bad business.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
People have already reported that Balloon Fight is the slow bordered 50Hz version, even though the 3DS version runs perfectly in 60Hz...

Plus Balloon Fight is in their supposed brand new fangled Virtual Console emulator. It suggests how it is going to be going forward.

Except buying the games directly from the Wii U Virtual Console costs exactly the same as buying them on the Wii Virtual Console. That is with Gamepad support.

Previous owners are being charged for the transfer while people who held out are being charged nothing extra for the new features.
The same as with early adoption of anything, only with much less downside than normal.

Though until/unless they offer better scaling options for the sprite-based game, updating from Wii isn't even very attractive.

evanmisha

Well that kinda blows. So the only way to get the discount is if you already have the VC games on Wii U, and you really are just paying to "free" them from the Wii mode.

I want to keep my Wii around and and play my old games on another TV, but Nintendo clearly doesn't allow for this "wild" scenario. :p

Well.... homebrewed Wii, so I'll get what I want anyway .... :/ (by backing up my NAND before transfer process, and restoring)

I'm curious if people who injected VC WADs onto the Wii mode in their Wii U will end up getting discounts. I'm sure Nintendo sees it coming, and it's an obvious concern, but oh man, the GAF threads that will pop up if it does happen.

And how would they even fix that if it did happen? Would they just ban the people? Brick them? Speculation overload

Margalis

Banned
As for the UMD thing, Sony did catch a lot of shit for that, and that was a physical medium.

If you own a UMD you also own a unique identifier for the digital copy. There's no reason you can't get a digital version if you own a UMD. Except money. The fact that UMD is a physical mechanism for delivering digital data that you can also get digitally is a distinction without a difference.

Might fire an email off to Nintendo UK, it seems unbelievable that we can't choose 60hz (even at the expense of only receiving English as a result (US ver)).

Define "look worse"
1. Black border around the edge of the screen in Wii mode that doesn't exist when you use an actual Wii

2. Stretched and maybe cropped aspect ratio when playing VC games in Wii mode. I can change the aspect ratio to 4:3 on my original Wii since it's SD and the VC games play in full 4:3 like they are supposed to be. Not so with the same VC games in Wii mode.

How many fucking times do I have to say this in this thread, even on this one page?

Pociask

While at first I thought the upgrade price was pretty low, after giving it more thought, I'm not happy about it. The upgrade offers Gamepad play - that should be one line of code in the emulator, already written. The upgrade bullet says access a Miiverse Community, it doesn't say Miiverse integration - and I'm not going to pay money to access a forum. And then what? I already got a quicksave on games in progress, except for 64 games, which aren't even available yet.

Paying to upgrade, the only thing I might bite at would be for Nintendo to explicitly announce that they are going to individual accounts, and that your digital library is good for life, and playable on every Nintendo platform that has enough real or virtual buttons to play the game.

JaseMath

Exactly my problem. I've already payed the premium once. Having to pony up more, even though it isn't that much comparatively, is a slap in the face to those of us who did spend hundreds of dollars on a VC library. It's shameful business practice.

Jazzem

Might fire an email off to Nintendo UK, it seems unbelievable that we can't choose 60hz (even at the expense of only receiving English as a result (US ver)).

I'm going to as well, and I suggest everyone else in PAL regions do the same. This is far more egregious than having to pay a small fee for added Wii U features.

I'm OK with the $1 -$1.50 charge, makes sense.

Also, I think it's dumb that they are trickling out the titles again, but I don't know the amount of work put into these WiiU conversions.

Top Bottom