• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

Remember how I said that Youtube wasn't "draino swilling incompetent enough to not have worked out some of the kinks" in the thread about how this was going to be a thing? Looks like I was wrong.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you believe your Fair Use rights are not respected, you are free to go to court like some people have done in the past (cf. that Universal case with the Prince dancing video). But then it seems the same people who earn thousands of dollars per month of YouTube ad revenue don't want to.

Most small businesses do not need to spend the bulk of their time and resources dealing with quasi-regulatory challenges to their right to operate a business. Moreover, these specific small businesses have not historically had to spend quite so much time and resources to do so. As a result, it is harder for them to do business today and the future of their revenue stream is less certain. In any other sector of business, looking at a structural shift in the regulatory environment and arguing that it negatively impacts you and you want to work with regulators to come up with a better solution is not considered "whining for money".

I still don't understand what publishers end game is for this. Do they feel they are losing money from these channels or something?

In this case, I think they see LPs as people making money off their content. I don't think they have an end game outside of the misguided desire to protect their IP.

onQ123

Welcome to our world!

Youtube flagged & removed my video soon as it hit 1 million views & it only showed you how to hack some android game & the game wasn't really showed in the game only the menu.

it wasn't even a copyright thing they just removed it & said it violated something.

Orayn

Worth mentioning that most publishers already had policies about monetizing videos of their games.

YouTube had just turned a blind eye to it before if you were in a partner network, but now they're getting more stringent about enforcing rules that were technically in place already.

Controlling the PR message.

Indirectly, maybe. The videos aren't going away.

Hedja

Pretty much any gameplay footage I upload of popular/mainstream games gets flagged on YouTube within a day of uploading. Has been like that for a few years.

I guess Google's clearing their backlog or something.

I remember the good old days when publisher's problem was with pirates. Apparently they were everywhere and were causing pubs to lose MILLIONS of dollars.

Now is the war on Youtube streamers, who deny publishers MILLIONS of sales by playing video games on their channel. UGHHH

Omega

Banned
It sucks that TotalBiscuit hasn't been affected by this.

It would have been amazingly ironic (and hilarious) that some guy who defends DRM to the end of the world would end up losing his livelihood because of the same people he defended.

but of course, nothing good can happen in this world.

Pretty much any gameplay footage I upload of popular/mainstream games gets flagged on YouTube within a day of uploading. Has been like that for a few years.

I guess Google's clearing their backlog or something.

You must be using Youtubes monetization then and not partnered. Being partnered usually prevented this from happening. Not anymore.

patapuf

Id love to see channels rise up against this in some way. Would make for some interesting discussion at least.. :/

The best way to "rise up" is to just leave youtube.

It's probably not feasible, since you'd loose too much audience but it would be nice if it was.

Oh, publishers and their insecure need for control at every level.

I feel really sorry for those who made a living doing this.

Had a video I did flagged today. Still up, but no longer monetized. Thankfully I don't have to care about money.

I'll be interested to see which outlets get "allowed" to showcase games on YouTube, and what limitations/agreements will be in case for that allowance to happen.

patapuf

It would have been amazingly ironic (and hilarious) that some guy who defends DRM to the end of the world would end up losing his livelihood because of the same people he defended.

PC devs know the value of a strong community. Console devs obviously don't.

The same has applied for films and music for a long time, and these rules have technically always existed for gaming. I'm actually surprised it's taken them this long to get around to enforcing this for gaming.

heyf00L

1. Allow gamers to produce a ton of content
2. Wait until that content becomes its own huge industry
3. Take it from them
4. Profit

no revenue = less incentive to stream / talk about the game = less free marketing for publishers

I just want to point out its not always "free marketing" because some of the videos take on a negative critique about the product, while also giving an extended, unedited look at the product, ie. giving everything away.

Doran902

Sucks but using other people's content is a slippery slope. I can't say I didn't see this coming.

I'm shocked it has gone on this long. I don't want anyone to lose their livelyhood but every other industry has been way more strict. Some people should be thankful they have done as well as they have.

In a perfect world this wouldnt be happening but I figured years ago publishers would be dropping the axe.

AppleMIX

Do even watch his video? He was simply making a argument that used games are bad for developers. He said several times that he doesn't support Xbox One's DRM. He often calls himself a consumer advocate and stood up against things like Sim City's shitty DRM. Please actually watch his videos before you spit out this drivel.

Here is his reaction to the whole DRM reversal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDpOKP3WFHQ

Chojin

I wonder if this is going to hit MTGO draft videos. I put myself to bed by watching LSV pun his way through drafts, or watch Marshal Sutcliffe constantly beg for forgiveness when he opens a chase rare and take it even if it does nothing for his draft deck.

Oh, publishers and their insecure need for control at every level.

I feel really sorry for those who made a living doing this.

Had a video I did flagged today. Still up, but no longer monetized. Thankfully I don't have to care about money.

I'll be interested to see which outlets get "allowed" to showcase games on YouTube, and what limitations/agreements will be in case for that allowance to happen.

That last bit is why they're doing this, isn't it...
so they can decide who gets paid and have them eating out of their hands to not fall out of favor...
Kind of like the gaming press today, but then with the community...

mavs

Remember how I said that Youtube wasn't "draino swilling incompetent enough to not have worked out some of the kinks" in the thread about how this was going to be a thing? Looks like I was wrong.

So this looks bad, and on a subjective scale to the people affected it is really bad. But the risks for Youtube on the other end of this are so huge that even an apocalypse for their users is acceptable if it might help them in court.

Chabbles

Iv lost count of the amount of times iv bought a game directly from watching a couple of walkthrough vids of whatever game on youtube. Its a win win for the game makers and the streamers if they just leave it be.

joe2187

Banned
are 2 best friends okay? i live my life vicariously through woolie and would be devastated if they get taken down.

Orayn

How much longer until youtube makes it impossible for all of the general public to monetize videos?

Monetization is still pretty damn easy if your video doesn't have copyrighted content in it. Vlogging, skits, general video content of people/places/things, etc.

are 2 best friends okay? i live my life vicariously through woolie and would be devastated if they get taken down.

Nobody's getting taken down AFAIK.

besada

Banned
And another nail in the fair use coffin.

How are most of these fair use? While fair use is a reasonable defense to copyright violation in some circumstances, and ultimately has to be arbitrated, many of these videos don't really fit into any of the accepted definitions of fair use. A Let's Play isn't a limited use for commentary/criticism purposes, it's a complete play through of the game. The same goes for the one doing cut-scenes rearranged into little movies.

And if they're making money off the videos, that's a pretty good indication that no reasonable court is going to find these videos a fair use of copyrighted work.

mrdark

Banned
Fucking disgusting.

We're quit literally talking peoples livelihoods here. People think that is it easy to edit videos and provide commentary but it really isn't. For every good monetized letsplayer there are about 10 bad unmonetized ones.

Where does it end? Are Giantbomb not allowed to do quicklooks anymore? What about REV3 games?

lol. Livelihoods. Okay.

It was a bubble. Anyone who thinks you could make a profit off of playing a developers game forever was daft. Take those goofy voices and ridiculous personas and head to Hollywood if you're that obsessed with being on camera.

You don't need/aren't entitled to the game footage to talk about or have a monetized video about gaming. If you want to monetize then there should be an option to license the content for a percentage from the developer.

patapuf

That's how it was from 2006 to 2010 and there was already quality video game content. No YouTuber was complaining about not getting paid for “work”.

But now, only publisher approved content makers get money.. you know a bit of pocket money for the good work..

If you are critical however....

Mesoian

Before the thread goes completely insane, it bears repeating that content ID does not mean the video is getting taken down, nor does it put a copyright strike on your account.

Videos are not being removed en masse. It's still pretty shitty, but we should at least be clear on what's actually happening.

What it means you can't monetize the video unless you supply proof that you're allowed to. Some people have also successfully argued fair use, but that's on a case by case basis and not guaranteed.

While true, the easy of which it's possible to essentially shut down someone's site for nothing is alarming. I have a Content ID dispute that expires on tuesday from Beyond 2 Souls, not from Quantic Dream or Sony, but through some random Arab broadcasting company because a 20 second piece of background arabic over gunfire sounds very similar to something they produced with background arabic over gunfire. It killed my ability to upload videos longer than 10 minutes and destroyed whatever schedule I had for the lets play.

This is going to get way worse before it gets better.

They partner with Machinima, so they're under the gun just as much as everyone else.

We're quit literally talking peoples livelihoods here. People think that is it easy to edit videos and provide commentary but it really isn't. For every good monetized letsplayer there are about 10 bad unmonetized ones.

Where does it end? Are Giantbomb not allowed to do quicklooks anymore? What about REV3 games?

It means that people who have the ability to host and serve files locally will have to. Hell, Videogamer.com can't put up their event spoof videos because of copyright issues from TV affiliates.

All this stuff is about to get way more expensive and difficult to get into.

Doesn't seem like anyone partnered with Polaris has been affected. Wonder why that is.

From what someone who I know is under Polaris.... from what he said on twitter, he is fine and he is smaller then other channels. So all their people are automatically managed state it seems aka.... good to go.

That's how it was from 2006 to 2010 and there was already quality video game content. No YouTuber was complaining about not getting paid for “work”.

Pretty sure monetization started well before 2010. And gaming content, to me, has only seemed to have been improving on YT, and I don't think that's coincidental

KoopaTheCasual

If you believe your Fair Use rights are not respected, you are free to go to court like some people have done in the past (cf. that Universal case with the Prince dancing video). But then it seems the same people who earn thousands of dollars per month of YouTube ad revenue don't want to.

...I don't think you grasp the commitment associated with following through on a lawsuit, and the associated expenses and time that go with it, do you?

ElFly

Does anyone else think this will push people away from youtube and on to another site?

Depends on how good the monetization options are on other sites; youtube seems to be the king on this.

Then again, other sites still have to obey the DMCA in america; it's just that youtube took the dmca and added their own systems to make publishers control of their work easier.

Top Bottom