• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World weapon demonstration videos

Syril

The pretty much all look great, especially liked the Insect Glaive, Dual Blades and most of all Switch Axe. Can't wait to try out my first Monster Hunter.

Curious how much freedom do you have with armour selection? Can you go full fashion-souls and mix and match as much as you like? Never really being at a disadvantage. Or should you really only wear a full set of a specific armour?

Going full fashion is more like giving up an advantage rather than putting yourself at a disadvantage. Armor skills won't make up for a lack of actual skill, but matching sets almost always end up giving a couple of skills for free, and skills can do things like save your life (become harder to stun for example) or allow for new play styles (increased evade distance for example).

Murkas

I used to believe that, and then I met Apex Zinogre.

Fuck that thing.

I wanna meet the people who designed Apex Zinogre and said "Yes, this is acceptable."

Apex Rajang/Savage Jho/Lv140 Elder Dragons are kittens compared to that thing.

Infinite

I bet your favourite position is missionary >:[
Haha chill

As someone who loves fighting games and have a competitive background there I love the SnS for its ability to allow me to play footsies with the monster. In fighting games I also favor versatile yet speedy characters like a Cammy for example and SnS in monster hunter fits that perfectly. It's also one of the more technical weapons in the game for the reasons I just explained. Anyone who shits on the SnS as a beginner weapon or some BS are basically admitting they don't have intimate knowledge of the game.

Sarcasm

Haha chill

As someone who loves fighting games and have a competitive background there I love the SnS for its ability to allow me to play footsies with the monster. In fighting games I also favor versatile yet speedy characters like a Cammy for example and SnS in monster hunter fits that perfectly. It's also one of the more technical weapons in the game for the reasons I just explained. Anyone who shits on the SnS as a beginner weapon or some BS are basically admitting they don't have intimate knowledge of the game.

Nobody shits on the SnS.

They all shit on the LS as the n00b weapon.

raven777

VacantHardtofindArcticfox.gif

RawAggravatingAnophelesmosquito.gif

Infinite

Because that was indeed the case back in the ps2. Terrible weapon with by far the slowest kill speed that was just there to make you learn the game. SnS got legit buffs since then and its a fine weapon now
Not really, it got nerfed as well as buffed in subsequent generations. It having the slowest kill speed in probably still true ruling out style bombing tactics. Doesn't necessarily make the weapon terrible

Kyoufu

CLOTH PHYSICS OH MY GODDDDDD

Capes that behave like capes and armour that isn't static plastic models oh my gooooooodddddddd

Alrus

Games looks great, can't wait. Glad to see no weapon was cut with the transition to HD since that happened last tame they reworked assets (with Tri).

Hope they post more videos with the blood splatter and the other impact visuals turned on. Hits look so weak without it. The sound on impact is a bit lacking too. Outside of that it looks more or less like what I'd expect.

Still not a fan of the new monsters, but hopefully they'll reveal a cool new one (and maybe a new biome) at Gamescom.

Kyoufu

Holy fucking CRAP Dual Blades look AMAZING.

Holy shit I want to use EVERY WEAPON

That new dash is a game changer holy shit

Syril

Not really, it got nerfed as well as buffed in subsequent generations. It having the slowest kill speed in probably still true ruling out style bombing tactics. Doesn't necessarily make the weapon terrible
It actually was underpowered in MH1. Like, instead of having a hidden sharpness bonus it had a hidden sharpness penalty and bounced off areas that other weapons didn't.

why did they take out the badass charging sounds from the charge axe ultra burst?

great sword charge sounds is weak too. what the heck is going on?

Kinsei

Banned
why did they take out the badass charging sounds from the charge axe ultra burst?

I'd like to know as well.

It's obviously not because they're toning down the over the top elements if the dual blades and insect glaive are anything to go by.

Wow this looks really fun. What are the dexterity levels associated with these games? Is it complex like say DMC games? I want to play Co-op with my wife but she's not the best at handling complex controls yet.

Is this more about strategy than learning combos is my question I guess?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

The game is still 8-10 months away from release they are more preoccupied with getting other things done right at the moment.

cheesekao

Wow this looks really fun. What are the dexterity levels associated with these games? Is it complex like say DMC games? I want to play Co-op with my wife but she's not the best at handling complex controls yet.

Is this more about strategy than learning combos is my question I guess?
The former. However, it's still worth noting that using sub-optimal moves can lead to longer kill times.

Isn't the LORE of Monster Hunter/ stated in all of the quest descriptions that these are unusually aggressive monsters who pose an active threat to settlements? Monster Hunter is such a lighthearted series so the villagers always get away, or else people getting eaten would be a real problem.

Syril

Isn't the LORE of Monster Hunter/ stated in all of the quest descriptions that these are unusually aggressive monsters who pose an active threat to settlements? Monster Hunter is such a lighthearted series so the villagers always get away, or else people getting eaten would be a real problem.
Some of them are and some of them are things like spoiled princesses putting up capture jobs because they want a pet Rathian.

Yeah it was underpowered. That doesn't have anything to do what the fuck I was talking about initially though
Huh? Youve said "saaaaaame" to "I've been an SnS user since PS2 and I used to get shit all the time for using a "noob weapon"." And I explained how the sns was indeed a noob trap weapon back then. What are you talking about?

Haha chill

Was just messing dude! Nothing wrong with liking any of the weapons and you don't have to justify it at all :D I mean, I like the Gunlance and even I consider it a little bit shit and badly thought out. I just think SnS is a little vanilla compared to all the other weapons.

Toxi

Banned
Oh my god, you can now command your Palico to heal you instead of just hoping.

Game of the forever.
No more getting Purrtuoso at full health or moments after I die
I wanna meet the people who designed Apex Zinogre and said "Yes, this is acceptable."

Apex Rajang/Savage Jho/Lv140 Elder Dragons are kittens compared to that thing.
Those fucking red lightning balls make Stiggy's look fair.

Top Bottom