• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

Yeah I have nearly 30,000 rupees from selling gems and I am still drowning in them, really no need to farm anything else. Luminous stones fetch a good amount and are very common all over the map.

Ottaro

Am I pretty much out of luck if I want to finish the compendium but didnt take any pictures of the main bosses before beating them?

J3ffro

I've done some random digging, but haven't found a definitive answer. Perhaps you folks can help me.

I've finished BotW, but I'm not done done with it. I've still got 60 or so shrines to go back to at some point, not to mention like 800 more korok seeds (yeah, that's never going to happen), but I'm trying to share the love.

I'm going to let a buddy of mine borrow my Wii U for a month or so, to play BotW, but I'd like my save game not to go away. I can ask him not to manually save, and hope that he remembers, so when I get it back I can go back to my game, but that's kinda risky.

Is there anything I can do on my end to save a copy locally (on an external hard drive or...something) to ensure that when I want to get back into my version of the game, it is mine and not his?

My understanding of the Wii U file structure and limitations is...well...limited. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Anteo

Talk to the folks at Purah's place.

Afaik only after you beat the game.

I've done some random digging, but haven't found a definitive answer. Perhaps you folks can help me.

I've finished BotW, but I'm not done done with it. I've still got 60 or so shrines to go back to at some point, not to mention like 800 more korok seeds (yeah, that's never going to happen), but I'm trying to share the love.

I'm going to let a buddy of mine borrow my Wii U for a month or so, to play BotW, but I'd like my save game not to go away. I can ask him not to manually save, and hope that he remembers, so when I get it back I can go back to my game, but that's kinda risky.

Is there anything I can do on my end to save a copy locally (on an external hard drive or...something) to ensure that when I want to get back into my version of the game, it is mine and not his?

My understanding of the Wii U file structure and limitations is...well...limited. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Your friend has to have his own profile as the autosaves will override your saves if he plays on the same profile.

Also I remmeber that you cold make it so in order to log into your profile you have to put yout nnid password. I think I tried that when I got the wii u but I may be missremebering.

J3ffro

Your friend has to have his own profile as the autosaves will override your saves if he plays on the same profile.

Also I remmeber that you cold make it so in order to log into your profile you have to put yout nnid password. I think I tried that when I got the wii u but I may be missremebering.

No kidding? I will test that out when I get home. That's great, thanks for the info.

I think I have to just beat the game. I've put 70 hours in. There is so much left to do but I want to leave some meat on the bone for when the dlc comes.

ReBirFh

~150h, 120 shrines, 303 Koroks, missing only
Ancient helmet, Knight saddle, Hinox medal and Talus medal
and...

I just discovered a footrace minigame.

Red

~150h, 120 shrines, 303 Koroks, missing only
Ancient helmet, Knight saddle, Hinox medal and Talus medal
and...

I just discovered a footrace minigame.
There is a conspicuous air vent on a hill in that race, and I have no idea what it's for.

WarAdept

Finally finished the game. Fully upgraded inventory full of Savage Lynel gear and all Shrines done...

...made Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon way too easy.
That being said, I love full upgraded Beserker gear + 2H. Spin2Win.

I'm going to do another play through with just the main story with no deviation whatsoever.

Anyone got a non spoiler hint for memory number 8 with the eagles statues and the mountain?

Edit: nvm

There is a conspicuous air vent on a hill in that race, and I have no idea what it's for.

I always thought it was for cheating the foot race. There is a chest at the bottom of the lake/waterfall there too which I could never figure out cause it seemed too deep for magnesis.

Pokemaniac

The problem was there's no way to re-center, and if you need a couple of shots you'll end up with the console flipped like 90 degrees haha

Canceling out of the motion control bit then starting it again recenters it (same for every other gyro thing, too).

I really need a developer diary or documentary of this game's creation from start to finish. I really don't get how it's possible, especially on WiiU hardware. Unless I'm really scrutinizing the details or bemoaning the frame rate, I never really feel like I'm playing a game on 2010 hardware.

This game is doing a lot for me in terms of sparking my dormant inner child/curiosity. I almost hate that I love this game so much because I really don't like Nintendo as a company.

Red

Anyone got a non spoiler hint for memory number 8 with the eagles statues and the mountain?

Edit: nvm

I always thought it was for cheating the foot race. There is a chest at the bottom of the lake/waterfall there too which I could never figure out cause it seemed too deep for magnesis.
I got the chest no problem. Weird.

Smellycat

Finally beat the game after 200 hours!! lol

the ending sucks

What an amazing journey though. Now to find the remaining 16 shrines.

Edit: ok, there is some closure after the credits lol

Codeblue

125 hours. I didn't think games could surprise me or blow me away like this anymore.

My favorite Zelda, easily. Maybe the best game of all time.

Dalek

Finished it tonight. The ending sequence and final fight are incredible and epic in every sense of the word.

then Zelda is just like "what's up." And the game ends.

I really need a developer diary or documentary of this game's creation from start to finish. I really don't get how it's possible, especially on WiiU hardware. Unless I'm really scrutinizing the details or bemoaning the frame rate, I never really feel like I'm playing a game on 2010 hardware.

This game is doing a lot for me in terms of sparking my dormant inner child/curiosity. I almost hate that I love this game so much because I really don't like Nintendo as a company.

It's all in the grass, it makes the game look so much better than if it had the regular static prop grass most games have.
Well that and the water effects, and the weather, and the lighting. Actually now I'm even questioning how they pulled it all off.

watershed

Banned
I loved the start of BoTW but I just felt like the game just kept dragging on and on..

How many hours have you put in and how much of the main quest have you done? The game can be beaten comfortably as a very compact 20 hour amazing gaming experience. Personally I beat the game around the 75 hour mark and at no point was I bored. I have since put in another 60 hours or so and have only been bored a few times.

Well I hope for your sake you don't play any more of their games then because they're mostly stellar

I actually hope you do and just re-evaluate why you feel the way you do about Nintendo

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the foot race a sidequest? I have two left and no idea what they are, but I don't remember a foot race.

Is there a good list of all sidequest locations online somewhere?

Maengun1

Is it just me or
is your house still pretty much empty even after being fully upgraded?

Nah I agree. I wanted way more
weapon displays
than that. I was expecting it to let you get up to like ~10 of each type. And I would have liked a few more customization options...like let us paint it various colors or something.

jariw

I kept selling the vast majority of my monster loot. It's so prolific and easy to get that even at low rupees per item, in the aggregate sense, it was easy to rack up thousands upon thousands in cash. I don't remember even needing much money late-game either, but it did come in handy in rounding out my inventory outfit-wise. I also sold less precious gemstones, since those were relatively common as well. You can also do the snow bowling trick (if you've gotten there) for guaranteed gold rupees for days.

However, if you want to transfer parts to mons, you'll need a lot of monster parts for the more expensive stuff.

Nah I agree. I wanted way more
weapon displays
than that. I was expecting it to let you get up to like ~10 of each type. And I would have liked a few more customization options...like let us paint it various colors or something.

I get the impression there's a design reason why there are so few. You get a few rewards along the way, and I think the intention is that you should put those rewards there as memories of your adventures.

Man this
Blood Moon
Shrine Quest can fuck off.
I just wasted 30 pieces of flint camping to try and get it to appear, is it really supposed to be this fucking random? I have 35 fire arrows to spare for my fire I guess...
And of course this just had to be the very last Shrine Quest left.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can't seem to find the Hebra Mountains one. Have gone through the area twice now. Plenty of shrines though :). My guess is
that it is underground or beneath an overhanging cliff

it's
under the mountain
, indeed. I actually find that first, by mistake. There are some
stone doors that you need to demolish

jariw

Man this
Blood Moon
Shrine Quest can fuck off.
I just wasted 30 pieces of flint camping to try and get it to appear, is it really supposed to be this fucking random? I have 35 fire arrows to spare for my fire I guess...
And of course this just had to be the very last Shrine Quest left.

You'll not trigger it unless you remove resources (such as enemies) from the overworld.

TLZ

Banned
Finally finished the game. Took me 260 hrs to do so :D

Managed to find 115/120 shrines. 291 korok seeds, more than enough.

Not sure if this is considered spoilers but,
Ganon was stupid easy. But maybe he was after 260 hrs of killing enemies and easily finishing off guardians and Lynels in the end. I knew it was time to face Ganon. I climbed straight to the top from the outside walls. Didn't even bother going in.

I really enjoyed the ride. Thank you Nintendo.

This is the longest I've ever played a game on a single play-through.

Burny

About 97 shrines, 130 Korok seeds (are we not looking thoroughly enough? o_O), all four DBs and every memory. It feels like we're coming to an end.

The game's been a hell of a ride so far, although I suspect the last boss will be almost a pushover, after the last DB's boss already didn't pose much of a challenge anymore. At least we should get to beat up the guardians in the castle pretty good with the upgraded guardian armour.

The recent play sessions have mostly been spend teleporting around the place to finish up quests and get to areas we knew we hadn't explored too well. The shrines doubling as "heart piece" puzzles and teleport points are great. It makes backtracking in the game so much less of a hassle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally finished the game. Took me 260 hrs to do so :D

Managed to find 115/120 shrines. 291 korok seeds, more than enough.

Not sure if this is considered spoilers but,
Ganon was stupid easy. But maybe he was after 260 hrs of killing enemies and easily finishing off guardians and Lynels in the end. I knew it was time to face Ganon. I climbed straight to the top from the outside walls. Didn't even bother going in.

I really enjoyed the ride. Thank you Nintendo.

This is the longest I've ever played a game on a single play-through.

You can't leave it there - you should clean up those last 5 shrines..

Red

Is the foot race a sidequest? I have two left and no idea what they are, but I don't remember a foot race.

I don't remember it being tied to a quest. It's just a minigame.

Ossom

Did it this week and it doesn't seem to a side quest. I am not sure if the rewards change based on time or if it is a set reward just for winning.

sazzy

I took these 3 pics from the top of Death Mountain, looking northwards. Everything across the canyon is off limits. But its surprisingly detailed for something so far away and inaccessible.

I hope it unlocks in the DLC or maybe an expansion of sorts??

dzN8irx.jpg

wibpZfx.jpg

2bFZzmB.jpg

TLZ

Banned
You can't leave it there - you should clean up those last 5 shrines..

I'd love to of course but I really can't be bothered looking for them anymore. I've been everywhere I think and to look for 5 all over the map would be tedious.

EDIT: I've done 41/42 of the shrine quests. The remaining 4 God knows where they are hidden.

Slightly off topic, but any recommendations on other 3D Zelda games to play and any particular order? I want to get into them after I finish BotW.

I've already got Wind Waker HD but haven't played it.
I've tried playing OoT a couple times but I just found it too dated.
Skyward Sword I've played a bit of but I've miss placed it. If it's worth it I might get the digital version for £18.
Majora's Mask and Twighlight Princess I've never played or owned, but I've only ever heard good things about MM.

Monumma

Just passing by to ask a question:

Is the 8th memory in the album (12th where they are listed to watch them again) in the castle?

I finally got in front of it after 130hours. This music. Oh god. I'm going to cry. I still have 20ish shrines and some quest to go but this music is pulling me in. I think I will finish the game and do the remaining stuff after.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just passing by to ask a question:

Is the 8th memory in the album (12th where they are listed to watch them again) in the castle?

I finally got in front of it after 130hours. This music. Oh god. I'm going to cry. I still have 20ish shrines and some quest to go but this music is pulling me in. I think I will finish the game and do the remaining stuff after.
yes ,:;.,;,,,,:;,.,;,

TLZ

Banned
Slightly off topic, but any recommendations on other 3D Zelda games to play and any particular order? I want to get into them after I finish BotW.

Skyward Sword I've played a bit of but I've miss placed it. If it's worth it I might get the digital version for £18.
Majora's Mask and Twighlight Princess I've never played or owned, but I've only ever heard good things about MM.

I'm thinking of starting WWHD now too :)

Ossom

I would go for ALBW on 3ds first. It is a great game and different enough to not allow any burn out from BOTW to affect your play through.

Wind Waker is a charming game and the HD remake gets rid of a few issues from the Gamecube version. I had a good time with Skyward Sword and enjoyed the motion controls. Twilight Princess is a darker entry, but the world can feel a little sparse. Imo they are all worth playing. OOT and MM are classics.

I would play through one other zelda and then give your feedback and people will guide you towards the best one for you.

Top Bottom