• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Symtendo

I'm at 105 Shrines found without using a guide and would really like to find the last lot without also. Has anyone done this? If so do you have any tips on the best way to find them?

I've looked online but there doesn't appear to be much out there in terms of Shrine finding tips.

Red

Couple of my GAF friends on Switch have 275+ hours played
My switch says I'm close to 80 and I feel like I've been weekend binging an irresponsible amount. I have one married friend with a full time job who has 150 hours logged. Like how? That's crazy to me.

I am glad I still have so much left to play. I look forward to it at the end of each week.

My switch says I'm close to 80 and I feel like I've been weekend binging an irresponsible amount. I have one married friend with a full time job who has 150 hours logged. Like how? That's crazy to me.

I am glad I still have so much left to play. I look forward to it at the end of each week.
I dunno man assuming they got it on launch day that's a minimum of 3 hours every day consecutively.

Here's some of the stuff I found. I havent watch/seen and any of them and some I dont even remember why I saved, so everything below could be garbage.

Videos:
The making of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Video: The Beginning, Open-Air Concept, Story and Characters, Bonus Session - by Nintendo
Breaking Conventions with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by GDC
Legend of Zelda: Donkey Breath - by videogamedunkey
Quick Look and Video Game Afternoon: Bradth of the Wild - by Giant Bomb
Exploring 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' and Can We Beat 'Zelda: Breath of the Wild' With Only 3 Lives?: Part 1, 2, 3, 4 - by Waypoint
Finding Zelda Wii U in Breath of the Wild's World - What's Changed Since the 2014 Game Awards?, Zelda: Breath of the Wild Discussion - The Story, the Characters, & the Series' Narrative Future and Secrets of Zelda: Breath of the Wild’s Map Locations (Zelda NES, Link to the Past, Link’s Awakening) - by GameXplain
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - An Open World Adventure | Game Maker's Toolkit and Bonus: The music of Breath of the Wild | Downloadable Comment - by Mark Brown
Developers Weigh In On The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild's Brilliance, A Nerdy Discussion About Zelda: Breath Of The Wild's Timeline Placement [Spoilers] and Miyamoto on Breath of the Wild's Innovations and Zelda's Future - by Game Informer
Zelda BotW Bird-Man Research 7615.8m(4.73mile) Landing on Eventide Island - by ゆきのさん
We Built a Crazy Go Kart in Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by IGN
Our Zelda: Breath of the Wild Spoilercast - by Nintendo Voice Chat
Breath of the Wild - Long Distance Parry 5 - by GirKart64
Breath of the Wild - Not Enough Zelda - by Joseph Anderson
The Iwata Tribute hidden in 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' - by Seaniccus

Writing:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Review Addendum / Companion Article - by Digital Chumps
How First-Step Failures Improved My Zelda Experiences and How I Learned to Love the DIY Map in 'Breath of the Wild' by Waypoint
Why Breath of the Wild is the Future of Blockbuster Games by Verge
100 Little Things in Zelda: Breath of the Wild that will Blow your Mind - by IGN
A Breath of fresh air, and a game I'm Wild about - by MooseyMcMan
Zelda Breath Of The Wild: How To Ride A Guardian and New Tales From The Making Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - by Gamespot
Hookshots, Wii U Maps, And Other Things Nintendo Cut From Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by Kotaku

Twitter:
Cool Details in Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by @TristanACooper
Talking to Hetsu after collecting all 900 Korok Seeds #hetsu #BreathoftheWild #botw - by @Fateawaits520

Neogaf:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]
Zelda's (the character) evolving role in her namesake series and her future.
-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread
Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Screenshot Thread of Adventure!
Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games
Gerudo Town and its diversity in age, body type, and skin is great (BOTW SPOILERS)
I love pretty much everything about the Gerudo in Breath of the Wild

Is there anything else I should see? I read on twitter that IGN was doing some split controller 2 players shenanigans but I can't find it? Was it just a joke?
How's the speedrun community going? What's the WR right now? Is Narcissa speedrunning?

THANK YOU for this post. I've been also holding off from a lot of Zelda content and can't wait to watch it all once I'm finished with it. 120 hours in. 90 shrines. 6 memories left. Still afraid of Lynels.

Zakalwe

Banned
Bought a Switch today so my friend and I could play Zelda. I knew it was going to be good, but I'm actually a bit awestruck by the quality.

I love how open to interpretation it is, if you think you can do it there's a good chance you can.

It looks stunning in handheld mode, too.

Snogger_T

I'm at 105 Shrines found without using a guide and would really like to find the last lot without also. Has anyone done this? If so do you have any tips on the best way to find them?

I've looked online but there doesn't appear to be much out there in terms of Shrine finding tips.

- I'm down to my last 8 also not using any guides or help, and the only thing I have found that works is turning the sensor on and gliding around areas without many shrines on the map. It's getting a bit maddening since I'm spending a lot of hours just running around doing nothing.

jariw

Look at the thread title.

Well I beat it. Kind of sad to be honest. There is so much left for me to do but I'm leaving that for when the dlc hits. No point in new map features if I've 100%ed the game.

Symtendo

- I'm down to my last 8 also not using any guides or help, and the only thing I have found that works is turning the sensor on and gliding around areas without many shrines on the map. It's getting a bit maddening since I'm spending a lot of hours just running around doing nothing.

It's a bit like that isn't it? I did look at the numbers in each area last night but it's hard to work out the boundries of each area on the map.

Red

Me and my wife are playing two separate files at the same time... You learn to play while others sleep. :D
To play, I have to just not sleep. That's why I can only do weekends. I'm not willing to go to work without getting sleep, but on the weekend my wife and I are usually both home and since I have that extra set of hands it's less pressing that I am well rested. Weekends I have been getting 3 hours of sleep or so, that way I can put some time in to this game. I am sacrificing my health to play.

Mistle

I feel empty now though. I did the last two side quests and then cleared out the coliseum for fun. Then teleported to Kakariko village.

The last thing I did before closing the game was talk to one of the kids running around. "I'm going home" he said. Then I realised I didn't really have a home to go to, and just stood in the middle of town in the rain, feeling strangely alone

Sigh.

Time for some short, super linear games for a change of scenery.

Sure you've done all the sidequests? Sounds like you may have missed the game's best sidequest(s)?

Draper

I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot about the sensor thing, since I turned it off immediately at the beginning.

Kangi

Finally properly entering my last zone, Hebra.

Found the
Forgotten Temple
along the way. Screamed the whole way through.

Durden77

Is the ONLY way you can put kinetic energy into stuff by hitting it with weapons? I'm in Ruta right now and I think a puzzle requires it but I'm running low on weapons down to my good ones...

I know you can use bombs but it doesn't seem to be enough.

mernst23

I found 119 shrines with no guide and caved to find the last one. I'm using a guide to roughly map korok seeds I haven't gotten yet but still only have about 400ish. Once I finish those and do the kilton medals I'm pretty much done with this game until dlc hits. 130ish hours. Compendium done, all shrines, all armors fully upgraded.

Draper

The murals things littered throughout Zora...how do I fulfill that mission pertaining to them? Am I taking pictures or something?

watershed

Banned
I started a second playthrough and this time I'm seeing new things that I didn't fully appreciate the first time. Right now, I love how Link has such a close relationship with the Zora. The Zora remember him, many of them were friends with him 100 years ago, and of course the Prince is a Link fanboy and Mipha was in love with him. Going to Zora's Domain and meeting everyone feels like a homecoming for the player. I was learning about Link based on the Zora around him. And it helps that the game guides you to Zora's Domain for your first divine beast.

I started a second playthrough and this time I'm seeing new things that I didn't fully appreciate the first time. Right now, I love how Link has such a close relationship with the Zora. The Zora remember him, many of them were friends with him 100 years ago, and of course the Prince is a Link fanboy and Mipha was in love with him. Going to Zora's Domain and meeting everyone feels like a homecoming for the player. I was learning about Link based on the Zora around him. And it helps that the game guides you to Zora's Domain for your first divine beast.

Zora's Domain was the first of the major towns I visited and I was in LOVE. Spot on post. Kinda missed the feeling of hominess in other villages when nobody knew you and they were all kinda indifferent to you. The "win them over" bit with the Zora was quite good.

alf717

Played the whole game hording spirit orbs. Ended the game with just 13 hearts and no stamina wheel upgrades. Very fun game wonder if anyone has worked out any hard challenges for the game. Noticed people are already speed running the game.

watershed

Banned
Zora's Domain was the first of the major towns I visited and I was in LOVE. Spot on post. Kinda missed the feeling of hominess in other villages when nobody knew you and they were all kinda indifferent to you. The "win them over" bit with the Zora was quite good.

Yeah I am a little sad that Link is a complete stranger in all the other towns (outside of Kakariko Village where people have been expecting Link for decades and have some pretty cool reactions to him). I wanted more growth with the other towns.
I seriously thought that Link would become the first male in forever welcome
in Gerudo Town
after freeing the divine beast. It would feel like a fitting reward and something to streamline gameplay upon revisits.

I heartily agree. I just cleared Vah Rudania, and Zora's Domain is still my favorite of the Divine Beasts so far. That entire chapter: Reestablishing that relationship with the Zora like you mentioned, the treks up those stormy hills and peaks, that ambiance-generating endless rain, that awesome Divine Beast segment...

It definitely set the bar and hooked me with this game.

Zero²;234720431 said:
Maaaan Vah Rudania is just amazing, I legit screamed with awe when I first entered it :0
I was aware of it beforehand since it was one of the first things we saw in the leaks, but it doesn't take away from how ominous it is to see Rudania's silhouette stomping around Death Mountain.

Goddamn I love this game.

watershed

Banned
I heartily agree. I just cleared Vah Rudania, and Zora's Domain is still my favorite of the Divine Beasts so far. That entire chapter: Reestablishing that relationship with the Zora like you mentioned, the treks up those stormy hills and peaks, that ambiance-generating endless rain, that awesome Divine Beast segment...

It definitely set the bar and hooked me with this game.

I was aware of it beforehand since it was one of the first things we saw in the leaks, but it doesn't take away from how ominous it is to see Rudania's silhouette stomping around Death Mountain.

Goddamn I love this game.

Yeah the whole Zora's Domain and Divine Beast sequence was the best designed in the entire game. There was a narrative being told through some really beautiful geography and some seriously challenging gameplay on the journey to Zora's Domain. It made me think the storytelling and gameplay sequences throughout the whole game would have that kind of perfect pace and design but sadly the other towns and their related gameplay were not nearly as satisfying or complex.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
...then you warped to Hateno and chilled with Bolson?

Screw Bolson. Get away from my house bloody layabout. He wasn't there when I popped back to take photos of the stuff on the walls, and that made me happy. Then he came strolling over the bridge..

Although his face when I placed a bomb at his feet was a picture

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sure you've done all the sidequests? Sounds like you may have missed the game's best sidequest(s)?

No, all done.

Technically yes, I have a house. But it doesn't particularly feel like home and link feels generally like someone out of place. Also I was feeling a little melancholic about the game ending for me

Just finished the game. I'm empty inside. I loved it and didn't mean to beat it. Just kind of happens. Even though I have a Wii U I'm glad I bought the switch for this and I take back saying Zelda wasn't enough for launch. I have to say it's my favorite.

Whew, about 90 hours in and I just finished all of the shrines. Just 14 more side quests to go and I think I'll move on to other games (or rather, back to Persona 5 lol).

TLZ

Banned
I feel empty now though. I did the last two side quests and then cleared out the coliseum for fun. Then teleported to Kakariko village.

The last thing I did before closing the game was talk to one of the kids running around. "I'm going home" he said. Then I realised I didn't really have a home to go to, and just stood in the middle of town in the rain, feeling strangely alone

Sigh.

Time for some short, super linear games for a change of scenery.

You do have a home in
Korok city
;)

I got 115 without a guide, but can't find the last 4.

I know one's in Hyrule Castle but I can't be bothered now :p

Trying to tame
the Lord of the Mountain (aka Satori).

I've encountered it a number of times throughout my journey so far, but now that I've gotten the right strength for it, it hardly ever appears. And tonight, for the first time in awhile, it appears. So I warp there, head to the tree where it usually hides, and I see the blupees that usually surround it but Satori is nowhere to be seen. And then after a few seconds, the blupees and fog disappear.

Its the type of thing that really tests my patience.

Firenze1

Banned
Anyone else disappointed how basically every exploration needs to a new shrine, which means you'll get a spirit orb? I love the vast overworld, but it is pretty repetitive. Both Stables and Shrines are just copy paste.

Also sucks that monster gear isnt upgradable. Dark Link set looks so good.

Anyone else disappointed how basically every exploration needs to a new shrine, which means you'll get a spirit orb? I love the vast overworld, but it is pretty repetitive. Both Stables and Shrines are just copy paste.

The copy and pasted stables, shrines and towers are definitely a downside. One thing I was hoping for the towers after climbing the first one was that the following towers would have some puzzle to climbing them.
That's not really the case, there's some times an obstacle or enemies stopping you from climbing straight up it, but aside from that they're always exactly the same.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The best tower is the one in Akkala - they needed more like that.

Ossom

I think a lot of exploration leads to shrines, however the various NPCs, towns and side quests pad out the world nicely, imo. I enjoy the unexpected mini games that you stumble across from time to time. The weather helps to make exploration a little tougher, but also realistic, whether climbing is hindered by rain or your view is obscured by snow or fog.

Ushay

Thats actually the strongest monster type in the game arguably harder than the final boss, there are steonger variants of the same monster but no other harder monster will be introduced, thats why the npcs recommend to sneak around that area to pick up the arrows it drops by walking.

Edit:basically what im saying is if you managed to defeat the lynel, go to hyrule castle make food and defeat ganon, you are ready.

Oh wow there are stronger variants of that beast, looking forward to it this time.

Guys I have some questions.

- Are there any weapons that can be enhanced, also are there any weapons that don't break or can be repaired. I hate having to switch out all the time. Same question for bows and shields?
- What are the best horses to collect or are these random? Also what does horse gear do for stats? What does the strength stat mean for horses?
- Why is this game so awesome, what will I play when I eventually finish? :(

jariw

The copy and pasted stables, shrines and towers are definitely a downside. One thing I was hoping for the towers after climbing the first one was that the following towers would have some puzzle to climbing them.

They have? They have multiple solutions and for many towers
you can reach the top with almost no climbing.

That's not really the case, there's some times an obstacle or enemies stopping you from climbing straight up it, but aside from that they're always exactly the same.

Sounds more like your approach to the towers are the same.

The orb is optional for a shrine. You can still use it as a fast travel point without entering the shrine. And personally, I'd say that there is at least as much exploration finding korok seeds or parts for armor upgrades.

_Clash_

Just looking for a quick low spoiler chat about the number of shrine quests

42? I have counted on my quest page and have 27 quests with most completed. I also have about 85 shrines complete. So....talk to NPCs and chill with environment puzzles because there's 15 full blown shrine quests out there?

Firenze1

Banned

The orb is optional for a shrine. You can still use it as a fast travel point without entering the shrine. And personally, I'd say that there is at least as much exploration finding korok seeds or parts for armor upgrades.

Korok seeds does not excite me. And finding 900 of them are 800 too many

If Starfox and Zelda take place in the same universe does that make Falco a Rito?

If so Falco is probably a descendant of this smug asshole whom I love

To double down on my considering asinine a swear it's derived from ass so if ass is a swear then so is asinine

Watch yer beak

Any examples? All the ones I've done so far have been a case of just climbing to the top, sometimes there's an obstacle at the bottom, in which case I've found something high up nearby to glide from to bypass said obstacle. Or there'll be enemies at the bottom.

Admittedly, I'm not incredibly creative however what other approach to towers is there besides climbing to the top of them?

Top Bottom