• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Red

Any examples? All the ones I've done so far have been a case of just climbing to the top, sometimes there's an obstacle at the bottom, in which case I've found something high up nearby to glide from to bypass said obstacle. Or there'll be enemies at the bottom.

Admittedly, I'm not incredibly creative however what other approach to towers is there besides climbing to the top of them?
I've landed on a few of them from elevated places nearby.

JoeNut

So i finished the game (as in defeated the final boss anyway)

i haven't really scratched the surface though, only 41 shrines completed and 70 or so korok seeds, 15% of the map completed apparently.

Mario Kart on friday so presumably i'll be having a break from Zelda but good to know i can go back and explore more.

my opinion on the ending
was that it was quite underwhelming really, beat ganon and then blam you're done, zelda appears and said "do you really remember me" presumably as i didn't get all the memories. and then that's it? you just reload to before he was defeated and carry on? seems bizarre

GRW810

Has anyone identified the starting location of the E3 reveal video, when the Guardian starts chasing Link? It ended up around a corner with a bridge destroyed by the Guardian's flailing limbs. The field had people in Japanese-style pointy hats in the field.

I'm guessing the game was overhauled since, because as far as I'm aware Guardians cannot destroy bridges or any structures.

Mistle

Has anyone identified the starting location of the E3 reveal video, when the Guardian starts chasing Link? It ended up around a corner with a bridge destroyed by the Guardian's flailing limbs. The field had people in Japanese-style pointy hats in the field.

I'm guessing the game was overhauled since, because as far as I'm aware Guardians cannot destroy bridges or any structures.

don't think it's in the game exactly but it's very similar to the Zonai Ruins/Damel Forest area

Ushay

Anyone know?

- Are there any weapons that can be enhanced, also are there any weapons that don't break or can be repaired. I hate having to switch out all the time. Same question for bows and shields?
- What are the best horses to collect or are these random? Also what does horse gear do for stats? What does the strength stat mean for horses?
- Why is this game so awesome, what will I play when I eventually finish? :(

Red

There is one weapon that doesn't break, but it must still be swapped out. You can't upgrade weapons. Broken weapons can be recovered somewhere in the world.

Embrace the breakage.

If you think that's a swear then wait until you hear what he says at the end.

well I'll be plucked

Beat Medoh (enjoyed it thoroughly and is my #1 Divine Beast boss now), and saw that line

Revali is a potty mouth confirmed

All four divine beasts down, I guess it's time to collect the rest of the memories before I beat Ganon. I started playing this with a friend who I haven't seen in a bit, but I plan on beating Ganon with him as my sendoff to this game. I'll still have a decent number of shrines, seeds, armor upgrades, and map locations to get.

Oh, that reminds me:

I'm gonna break down and ask for a hint on South Lomei Labyrinth. I have wandered around that thing for ages and cannot figure out how to solve it. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

_Clash_

Beat Medoh (enjoyed it thoroughly and is my #1 Divine Beast boss now), and saw that line

Revali is a potty mouth confirmed

All four divine beasts down, I guess it's time to collect the rest of the memories before I beat Ganon. I started playing this with a friend who I haven't seen in a bit, but I plan on beating Ganon with him as my sendoff to this game. I'll still have a decent number of shrines, seeds, armor upgrades, and map locations to get.

Oh, that reminds me:

I'm gonna break down and ask for a hint on South Lomei Labyrinth. I have wandered around that thing for ages and cannot figure out how to solve it. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

Is that the one with no clear entrance?

In which case my tip to you is think about and investigate how the room may be entered, reverse engineer it and explore accordingly

Edit. Looked it up. It's not

I solved south lomei by working through the quadrants, as I believe it's set up into four rough areas.

One area is not a dead end and progresses to the shrine

Looked up my final three shrines. One was hidden behind a bombable wall above the canyon that leads to the Forgotten Temple, one was with Loone and her ball (I could've sworn I had been to this area but left because I thought there was nothing), and the final one was the Goron brothers in the desert. Not sure how anyone is supposed to find them haha.

I still have one memory to get that I might look up as well. It's just a nondescript forest with no real discernible features.

Is that the one with no clear entrance?

In which case my tip to you is think about and investigate how the room may be entered, reverse engineer it and explore accordingly

Edit. Looked it up. It's not

I solved south lomei by working through the quadrants, as I believe it's set up into four rough areas.

One area is not a dead end and progresses to the shrine

Literally just solved it wow

Thank you for the hint! It was actually super helpful. I was so close to the solution so many times in previous attempts but kept managing to miss it haha.

Red

Literally just solved it wow

Thank you for the hint! It was actually super helpful. I was so close to the solution so many times but kept managing to miss it haha.
The south labyrinth is the easiest. You can climb to the top and drop right into the center. I did this completely by accident the first time I found the place. It was the first labyrinth I encountered. Had no idea what it was, or that it had a shrine attached. Flew over, dropped down, landed two steps away from the shrine entrance.

Still went back through to look for treasure. Found a few good items.

The northeast labyrinth is the best. It is the most complex to explore, the most dangerous to climb, and features the best reward. I wish they were all a little more involved though. I really like them overall. Could use a little more variety in their appearance. Kind of boring to look at.

The south labyrinth is the easiest. You can climb to the top and drop right into the center. I did this completely by accident the first time I found the place. It was the first labyrinth I encountered. Had no idea what it was, or that it had a shrine attached. Flew over, dropped down, landed two steps away from the shrine entrance.

I climbed to the top and dropped toward the center a lot but sill couldn't find the entrance to the shrine :/ I think it was one of those situations where I just needed to leave for a bit and come back later.

Still cannot find the goddang Rubber torso piece. I received a hint that it was in the west of the map, which I kind of assumed since that's where I found the other two pieces. I looked all over the Gerudo Highlands because I thought maybe it would be there, but no luck.

Which reminds me I need to return there to finish the "Eighth Heroine" quest because I cannot figure that one out for the life of me. It says someone in Gerudo town might know more about it but I cannot find them. I tried the archaeologist, but she keeps talking about a quest I already finished.

I climbed to the top and dropped toward the center a lot but sill couldn't find the entrance to the shrine :/ I think it was one of those situations where I just needed to leave for a bit and come back later.

Still cannot find the goddang Rubber torso piece. I received a hint that it was in the west of the map, which I kind of assumed since that's where I found the other two pieces. I looked all over the Gerudo Highlands because I thought maybe it would be there, but no luck.

Which reminds me I need to return there to finish the "Eighth Heroine" quest because I cannot figure that one out for the life of me. It says someone in Gerudo town might know more about it but I cannot find them. I tried the archaeologist, but she keeps talking about a quest I already finished.

Only the rubber helm is outside of a shrine. So if you're going for all 120, don't stress. You'll get it eventually.

Anteo

Anyone know?

- the champions signature weapon can be recrafted after they break but nothing can be repaired. Evwrything breaks even the master sword.

- horses of one full color will have better stats but its still random. No idea about attack or the gear.

jotun?

- horses of one full color will have better stats but its still random. No idea about attack or the gear.
It's not entirely random. Each group of horses has just a few different specific stat combinations that you can find in it

There are a couple of groups that have stats of 5/3/5, 2/5/3, and 4/4/5

Zakalwe

Banned
I got to an area where the land gradually became more snowy, I had no spicy food, so I looked for any way I could make fire to light my torch to keep warm.

So I shot a Bokoblin riding a horse with a fire arrow, killed him and set his weapon on fire, then lit my torch with his burning weapon and continued on my way.

sogood.gif

Oh, and so far I'm really enjoying the weapon degrade system. It feels like a kind of puzzle working out the most efficient way to spend your durability.

jiiikoo

Banned
I got a Switch yesterday as a graduation present and downloaded BotW on to it and I have to say, I cant remember the last time I had as much fun playing a open world game as this. I'm not too far into it, got to the first big village. The world feels alive and the horsies, the horsies... love em and how they look. Only thing im struggling with is parrying, the timing feels like it has to be timed to the nano second.

Think im gonna go play some more!

Anson225

about the Eighth Heroine... my vague hint would be
it is impossible to miss
and you don't need extra info beyond the info give by the running dude

Zakalwe

Banned
Is there anyway to quick switch your current weapon by picking up a new one?

Or is the only way to discard an item to force it to break or do it from inside the menu?

I'd love to be able to hold A over a weapon and have it switch with my current one or something.

I got a Switch yesterday as a graduation present and downloaded BotW on to it and I have to say, I cant remember the last time I had as much fun playing a open world game as this. I'm not too far into it, got to the first big village. The world feels alive and the horsies, the horsies... love em and how they look. Only thing im struggling with is parrying, the timing feels like it has to be timed to the nano second.

Think im gonna go play some more!

I got one yesterday too. Had some pay I was owed from a while ago come in and figured what the hell!

I don't know how I'm going to have any free time left between this and Persona 5....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How many people have weapons in your inventory that you never use? You hold on to them when you get them as they're a bit too good for normal fights, and then just never get around to actually using them

mrklaw

MrArseFace
about the Eighth Heroine... my vague hint would be
it is impossible to miss
and you don't need extra info beyond the info give by the running dude

It is quite easy to miss if you're just exploring. Especially as you find something that seems very related to it in an area but the actual location is not nearby.

More specific hint without completely giving it away

use the map

Red

How many people have weapons in your inventory that you never use? You hold on to them when you get them as they're a bit too good for normal fights, and then just never get around to actually using them
I've had a couple of +strength enchanted elemental weapons for at least ten hours, but I haven't engaged in combat where they would be useful. I use them to hit multiple enemies at once but I haven't been in a situation recently where that would benefit me.

I haven't upgraded my inventory slots so I cycle through different tools regularly. The drill shaft is one of my favorite weapons. Not super powerful, but long range and great for farming Talus/breaking ore. Good durability as well.

I use arrows all the time. Getting headshots on stal enemies saves me from degrading my melee weapons.

I have a Lynel sword I haven't used much yet. It's single handed and has 58 attack power. It's not the strongest weapon I've found (a few dragonbone moblin weapons go for 70+ attack), but it seems like the overall best. Good damage output plus preserves the ability to use a shield. I just haven't had a reason to use it. Ditto a couple of Lynel bows. The only time I use these things is when I'm fighting Lynels. And since mounted attacks don't count toward weapon degradation, with two Lynels down my Lynel sword is still sparkly and new.

Is there anyway to quick switch your current weapon by picking up a new one?

Or is the only way to discard an item to force it to break or do it from inside the menu?

I'd love to be able to hold A over a weapon and have it switch with my current one or something.

I got one yesterday too. Had some pay I was owed from a while ago come in and figured what the hell!

I don't know how I'm going to have any free time left between this and Persona 5....

If you weapon slots are full, then you have to toss it using R or drop it from in the menu. You can't auto-equip to my knowledge. Not sure if the game tells you this, but you can hit Right on the D-Pad to bring up a quick switch menu for your weapons. Left will bring up shields. Pressing RT to bring out your bow will allow you to hit Right to switch your bow and Left to switch your arrows.

Zakalwe

Banned
If you weapon slots are full, then you have to toss it using R or drop it from in the menu. You can't auto-equip to my knowledge. Not sure if the game tells you this, but you can hit Right on the D-Pad to bring up a quick switch menu for your weapons. Left will bring up shields. Pressing RT to bring out your bow will allow you to hit Right to switch your bow and Left to switch your arrows.

Ha, tossing it with R does exactly what I need it to, completely overlooked that. Thank you!

I know about the quick switch yeh, with the standard UI it's always shown top left.

Ushay

- the champions signature weapon can be recrafted after they break but nothing can be repaired. Evwrything breaks even the master sword.

No to the enhancements, though the Master Sword self-repairs in 10 minutes when it "breaks." The closest thing to enhancements is that those vacuum Octoroks can suck in rusted weapons/shields, clean the rust off, then spit back useful equipment.

2. IIRC the best non-amiibo horse is available in a quest you get at a stable
near the south end of Hyrule Field
. It's
a descendant of Zelda's horse.
It's fast but not gamebreakingly so. Outside of quests, an NPC at a different stable says horses with solid colors tend to be stronger than spotted horses, though the stronger horses are also more wild. I THINK the strength stat means speed, but I'm not sure.

3. I'm done the game, but I've still spent another 20-30 hours just exploring semi-aimlessly. It's weird.

Nice, thanks for the responses.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's not entirely random. Each group of horses has just a few different specific stat combinations that you can find in it

There are a couple of groups that have stats of 5/3/5, 2/5/3, and 4/4/5

I've found two horse locations that have these "max" horses. One is where you find the big horse, which I won't spoil, and the other is Upland Lindor.

Also, the white horse is not especially good - only 4/3/5. There are better generic horses in a few locations. Only the big horse is really worth going out of your way for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never really used the horses

I had an emotional journey with my horse. Was definitely worth having one.

Horses are good for later exploration if you're needing to get from A-B quickly but need to check things on the way - like scanning for NPCs on the roads or something. I spent most of the game walking, climbing and fast travelling, but horses still have their place too.

Horse related spoiler question
what happens at the end of the game if you don't have a horse?

Horses are great for exploring the roads. And the roads should be explored. Lots of discoverables are just off to the side. Follow the roads and you will find all the stables.

Ha, tossing it with R does exactly what I need it to, completely overlooked that. Thank you!

I know about the quick switch yeh, with the standard UI it's always shown top left.

A weapon that breaks deals double damage, so keep that in mind when throwing.

I had an emotional journey with my horse. Was definitely worth having one.

Horses are good for later exploration if you're needing to get from A-B quickly but need to check things on the way - like scanning for NPCs on the roads or something. I spent most of the game walking, climbing and fast travelling, but horses still have their place too.

Horse related spoiler question
what happens at the end of the game if you don't have a horse?

The game gives you a specific horse. I know this because I had a generic blue horse and a special white one showed up.

This describes me during the first 50 hours of my playthrough. Now I'm closer to 220 hours (still have one divine beast and Ganon left) and I have upgraded my melee inventory to be exactly one screen large, which really makes my method of holding/using weapons way easier.

What I do is basically keeping a minimum of 2 weapons from each basic variety, an axe of some kind and some variety of Gordon weapon for smashin' stones - plus at least 1 flame enhanced weapon for quickly re-starting campfires (makes horn shard farming waaaay faster in the long run when you can just jab your flame spear one time and immediately sit til morning)

So basically I always have around 4 or 5 different one handed swords, two handed swords and spear-type weapons (with various guardian weapons sprinkled in each category) each on me at all times, meaning I can always choose the best tool for the job no matter what situation I find myself in.

For me, this isn't a pain or a negative thing that I "have to" worry about managing all these weapons that are constantly wearing out or needing to be replaced - it's a fun part of playing the game!

Anyone else do this and love the obsessive organizing and preparation??

Coketruck

Has anyone else had the issue where a blood moon disappears nearly as soon as it appears? I'm trying to complete the shrine quest that requires standing on a pedestal during a blood moon. Every time one starts (which seems to be happening fewer and few times recently), I warp to a nearby shrine, only for the blood moon to have turned back to a normal moon. I've tried just camping out at a fire, but I wound up going two in-game weeks without a blood moon.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Has anyone else had the issue where a blood moon disappears nearly as soon as it appears? I'm trying to complete the shrine quest that requires standing on a pedestal during a blood moon. Every time one starts (which seems to be happening fewer and few times recently), I warp to a nearby shrine, only for the blood moon to have turned back to a normal moon. I've tried just camping out at a fire, but I wound up going two in-game weeks without a blood moon.

when are you warping? when the blood moon music actually starts or as soon as you see the red moon in the sky at like 9?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
when are you warping? when the blood moon music actually starts or as soon as you see the red moon in the sky at like 9?

If he's too far away he could be warping when he first sees it and still wouldn't make it.

Go kill some Lynel, Hinox, and Taluses then camp out at the spot. Killing two or three should be enough to trigger a blood moon (at least it was for me).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
135 hours in, mind blown, 90 shrines, all memories, 130 Korok seeds, Divine Beasts completed. Now I'm just procrastinating finishing the game because I know I'll probably not pick it up again for a long time if I do -- really don't want the magic to end.

jariw

Any examples? All the ones I've done so far have been a case of just climbing to the top, sometimes there's an obstacle at the bottom, in which case I've found something high up nearby to glide from to bypass said obstacle. Or there'll be enemies at the bottom.

Admittedly, I'm not incredibly creative however what other approach to towers is there besides climbing to the top of them?

Lots of towers can be approached
from above. Sometimes, the higher point is really far away, but surprisingly many can be approached that way.

atr0cious

So, I had a bugged blood moon happen at noon, and I'm on wii u. Was shocking as I had just had one. Also, can someone please check the hinox, I think one of the patches removed the ability to climb on his hand and chest.

Okay, the puzzle to get through the
Lost Woods
was fucking cool. I expected something like a maze that'd just loop back to the start at every wrong turn.
I didn't expect them to use the
particle effects
as a gameplay mechanic to solve the puzzle. Colour me impressed. I've played a lot of games, but I don't recall ever seeing that done before.

Lots of towers can be approached
from above. Sometimes, the higher point is really far away, but surprisingly many can be approached that way.
Okay, that's fine and all however I think you missed the point I was making about the towers.
I said that there was no puzzle to climbing them, something I see as a missed opportunity for Nintendo because there's definitely a lot of potential in the game for climbing puzzles.

Effectively skipping the tower by gliding straight on to the top is good, but not exactly a puzzle.

Kaban

Okay, the puzzle to get through the
Lost Woods
was fucking cool. I expected something like a maze that'd just loop back to the start at every wrong turn.
I didn't expect them to use the
particle effects
as a gameplay mechanic to solve the puzzle. Colour me impressed. I've played a lot of games, but I don't recall ever seeing that done before.

Was it
particle effects
? I thought the trick was to
follow the animals
. That's how I did it anyway. Is there more than one way to navigate
Lost Woods
, then?

Caelus

Was it
particle effects
? I thought the trick was to
follow the animals
. That's how I did it anyway. Is there more than one way to navigate
Lost Woods
, then?

Yes.
I used both animal movements and the movement of embers from my torch as guides.

Top Bottom