• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

I would go for ALBW on 3ds first. It is a great game and different enough to not allow any burn out from BOTW to affect your play through.

Wind Waker is a charming game and the HD remake gets rid of a few issues from the Gamecube version. I had a good time with Skyward Sword and enjoyed the motion controls. Twilight Princess is a darker entry, but the world can feel a little sparse. Imo they are all worth playing. OOT and MM are classics.

I would play through one other zelda and then give your feedback and people will guide you towards the best one for you.

In that case, I'll probably go with Wind Waker since it's the most easily available to me.
I was close to buying ALBW on release but never got round to it, I'll definitely consider that at some point.

It's all in the grass, it makes the game look so much better than if it had the regular static prop grass most games have.
Well that and the water effects, and the weather, and the lighting. Actually now I'm even questioning how they pulled it all off.

Yeah, the synergy of all this stuff is ridiculous to me. It's an artistic vision so remarkably realized that I can't imagine that there's as many cooks in the kitchen as there are and I can't believe this is the same hardware that's been compared to an Xbox 360. For me, the frame drops are more than tolerable in consideration of everything.

Literally some of the best dynamic lighting I've ever seen. How? Literally some of the best particle effects I've seen. How? The first time I've ever seen dynamic wind used as a persistent means of creating mood and atmosphere. How?

I can get caught up mowing down grass for 10s of minutes at a time. At certain angles, when the light hits the plains, and a breath of wind gets to them, they look so alluringly voluminous I can't help myself. How?

I just don't associate this technical prowess with Nintendo anymore. Especially, with their hands chained to the WiiU. They were still struggling with HD assets just some years ago. I have to know how this was done.

Well I hope for your sake you don't play any more of their games then because they're mostly stellar

I actually hope you do and just re-evaluate why you feel the way you do about Nintendo

Eh, we'll see. Every time I see something like the NES Classic fiasco, it only serves to remind me why I stopped supporting the company.
I considered BoTW to be the ultimate swan song to the ending of our relationship, but that could change because I'm so enamored with it.

Ossom

In that case, I'll probably go with Wind Waker since it's the most easily available to me.
I was close to buying ALBW on release but never got round to it, I'll definitely consider that at some point.

Good idea. ALBW is cheap now too. In the UK you can get it for £10 new.

They need to get some of these old zelda games on the switch eshop. I bought DK64 and Metroid Prime trilogy on my Wii U and haven't touched any. Would be far more likely to play them if they were on the switch.

Yeah, the synergy of all this stuff is ridiculous to me. It's an artistic vision so remarkably realized that I can't imagine that there's as many cooks in the kitchen as there seems to be and I can't believe this is the same hardware that's been compared to an Xbox 360. For me, the frame drops are more than tolerable in consideration of everything.

Literally some of the best dynamic lighting I've ever seen. How? Literally some of the best particle effects I've seen. How? The first time I've ever seen dynamic wind used as a persistent means of creating mood and atmosphere. How?

I can get caught up mowing down grass for 10s of minutes at time, because at certain angles, when the light hits plains, and a breath of wind gets to them, they look so alluringly voluminous I can't help myself. How?

I just don't associate this technical prowess with Nintendo anymore. Especially, with their hands chained to the WiiU. I need to know how this was done.

I really recommend you check out Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3. It's truly astounding seeing what Nintendo can't do with "weak" hardware. The lighting in SM3DW is better than most PS4/XB1 games and the water in Pikmin 3 (and the textures in general too) look incredible. Both technically impressive games in other ways too.

I have SM3DW. Game looks good, but it's nothing impressive to me. It looks like how it should considering the hardware. BotW is on another level.

Not a Pikmin fan, but I've seen the screenshots. A lot of it just looks like high-resolution scanned imagery (correct me if I'm wrong). The method produces a somewhat desirable result, but it's nothing interesting or impressive and has been used for decades now. I feel BotW has to be using development techniques I've never heard of before.

And my 3 heart run is complete. It's honestly not that difficult once you have a firm grasp on the game's many mechanics.
Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-Ny2WzUwAA1ICX.jpg:large[/img]
Bonus, every set of Hero's Garb (Amiibo) obtained.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-NydmxUMAAUG87.jpg:large
I really love the design of the Wild set. It's a shame there's no real incentive to use or upgrade it (especially because it involves grinding (dragons) since it's given at the very end of the game. Here's hoping I can transfer it to Hard mode or something.

Just passing by to ask a question:

Is the 8th memory in the album (12th where they are listed to watch them again) in the castle?

I finally got in front of it after 130hours. This music. Oh god. I'm going to cry. I still have 20ish shrines and some quest to go but this music is pulling me in. I think I will finish the game and do the remaining stuff after.

If you wait to do all the shrines before entering the castle, the 120th will be in the castle, so don't freak out that you can't find it outside.

TLZ

Banned
Bonus, every set of Hero's Garb obtained.
Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-NydmxUMAAUG87.jpg:large[/img]
I really love the design of the Wild set. It's a shame there's no real incentive to use or upgrade it (especially because it involves grinding
dragons
) since it's given at the very end of the game. Here's hoping I can transfer it to Hard mode or something.

Where do you get all these from? I don't have any of them.

Slightly off topic, but any recommendations on other 3D Zelda games to play and any particular order? I want to get into them after I finish BotW.

I've already got Wind Waker HD but haven't played it.
I've tried playing OoT a couple times but I just found it too dated.
Skyward Sword I've played a bit of but I've miss placed it. If it's worth it I might get the digital version for £18.
Majora's Mask and Twighlight Princess I've never played or owned, but I've only ever heard good things about MM.
Twilight Princess will feel like shit after BotW, especially if you find OoT dated. Majora is great, but is also more or less a standalone expansion to OoT, so it plays similarly despite the novel structure and mechanics. Certainly one of the best in terms of world building and side quests/stories though. I adore Skyward but it starts slow and many folks don't like the controls.

I'd personally recommend Wind Waker.

If you want to play them all, there's no best order except perhaps release order, just so you can experience the development of the series.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
And my 3 heart run is complete. It's honestly not that difficult once you have a firm grasp on the game's many mechanics.
Code:
Code:
I really love the design of the Wild set. It's a shame there's no real incentive to use or upgrade it (especially because it involves grinding
dragons
) since it's given at the very end of the game. Here's hoping I can transfer it to Hard mode or something.
Whoa how'd yo get what you are wearing?

Anteo

Wind waker is shit. Worst $60 ive ever spend. Not only has the worst difficulty curve ever even in hero mode (starts easy and it only gets easier) but it clearly lacks content comparrd to other zelda games and tried to pad it with the triforce hunt which even if was adjusted on the HD version it still felt like an insult and a waste of time. I quit thr game right there and I was already pushing myself to try to finish it.

Maybe if they bundled it with sunshine hd I would have gotten enough content for a full game.

Wind waker is shit. Worst $60 ive ever spend. Not only has the worst difficulty curve ever even in hero mode (starts easy and it only gets easier) but it clearly lacks content comparrd to other zelda games and tried to pad it with the triforce hunt which even if was adjusted on the HD version it still felt like an insult and a waste of time. I quit thr game right there and I was already pushing myself to try to finish it.

Maybe if they bundled it with sunshine hd I would have gotten enough content for a full game.

Easy there, tiger. WW has a lot of cut content that they couldn't finish in time, but it certainly doesn't lack content. The Triforce quest had obvious padding, but the HD version shortens it up a great deal. Also, the Swift Sail makes getting around a hell of a lot faster since you don't have to play the Wind Waker every time you want to change the wind direction.

Monumma

I finished it. No game will ever come close to this in my life. Perfect game at the perfect moment.

If you wait to do all the shrines before entering the castle, the 120th will be in the castle, so don't freak out that you can't find it outside.

Thanks anyway. I played without sensors up until now and I have 99 shrines (including the one in the castle). I wanted to go over 100 but the castle pulled me in before that. I will go back to do the remaining 21 shrines and 16 quests for sure, in the mean time I can end my blackout and go over a playlist of 27 videos and 10ish articles I set apart since march. Actually let me put them in a post, maybe someone can recommend me something more.

I had a marked spoiler here but maybe it isn't the best place to put it so I edited it out. I'll look to see if the spoiler thread says something, I can enter it now XD

TheJoRu

Slightly off topic, but any recommendations on other 3D Zelda games to play and any particular order? I want to get into them after I finish BotW.

I've already got Wind Waker HD but haven't played it.
I've tried playing OoT a couple times but I just found it too dated.
Skyward Sword I've played a bit of but I've miss placed it. If it's worth it I might get the digital version for £18.
Majora's Mask and Twighlight Princess I've never played or owned, but I've only ever heard good things about MM.

I would find it very hard to play an old 3D Zelda game right after BotW, but I would definitely try out MM. Amazing game, and very different from BotW, so there won't be as much of an immediate comparison. TP is a well-made game with great dungeons and really solid music, but the linearity would drive me crazy now. ALBW is a must-have; I like it more than ALttP which it is based on; it has a lot of the openness of BotW but it has a very fast pacing, it's super good and energetic.

Skyward Sword is my least favorite Zelda game. I found the controls to be awkward, the linearity and hand holding is extremely obnoxious and frankly it's quite barebones in terms of content. I feel like the art style shows promise, but on the Wii it looks muddy and apart from Zelda I think the character designs are sub-par for the series. It has its moments (Ancient Cistern is an awesome dungeon), and some of the orchestral music is nice, but overall I think it's lacking. The atmosphere in particular suffers a lot because of the restricted and gamey world. I used to say that I consider it to be "a good game, but a bad Zelda-game", but thinking about it more I've come to terms with that I don't think it's a good game, period. Many others disagree with me and like it a lot, but I personally don't recommend it, at all.

I finished it. No game will ever come close to this in my life. Perfect game at the perfect moment.

Thanks anyway. I played without sensors up until now and I have 99 shrines (including the one in the castle). I wanted to go over 100 but the castle pulled me in before that. I will go back to do the remaining 21 shrines and 16 quests for sure, in the mean time I can end my blackout and go over a playlist of 27 videos and 10ish articles I set apart since march. Actually let me put them in a post, maybe someone can recommend me something more.

REAL SPOILER DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME
Why the hell is the Zelda still alive and has not at least aged? Have I missed something or is it just a "power of the golden bubble" kinda thing?

Hahaha np. I had the same problem as you. Figured I was powerful enough to explore the castle, but I severely underestimated my lack of self control. A part of me said "save and quit!" when I found Ganon, but I just wound up fighting him and finishing. I still have to do it again with all the memories (still missing 2 and 4 shrines), but damn if that wasn't a sick fight.

WWHD is vastly improved over the original release. But now with BotW every other Zelda game is definitely lacking content.

BFIB

Anyone get to where they just bypassed any of the test of strength shrines? They are becoming a grind, and I hate that I churn through weapons constantly.

Anyone get to where they just bypassed any of the test of strength shrines? They are becoming a grind, and I hate that I churn through weapons constantly.

I stopped doing the Major ones for a while. If you have upgraded the
ancient
armor and an ancient weapon or two, they become really easy, especially if you just dodge and flurry strike them. When they're charging the laser, just go nuts on them. You have a long time until they unleash it. You can also just use the environment to block them by creating ice blocks or pulling up the magnetic blocks.

Ushay

So I'm taking my time with this game (2-3 hours a night) and I decided to go for the Zora domains divine beast first.

So my next step was to ascend the waterfall and face a Lynel (sp?) and oooooof was I in for a surprise. That thing kicked my arse left and right until I got my tactics right (block and evade on time). I never thought a Zelda game would be so punishing.

My 4 year old son has no chance when he gets to this part, will have to help him.

RomanceDawn

Code:
Code:
dragons

Wow 3 hearts, thats crazy!

Hey do those classic Link tunics only come from the Amiibos? I have a few of them but if I scan them I only get one piece of clothing from a set right? Are the rest found in the game or do I scan the amiibos more than once?

- -

Also does anyone know where the rubber shirt/jacket is?

Chinbo37

Eh, we'll see. Every time I see something like the NES Classic fiasco, it only serves to remind me why I stopped supporting the company.
I considered BoTW to be the ultimate swan song to the ending of our relationship, but that could change because I'm so enamored with it.

Funny that is my exact stance. I decided that the Wii U and BOTW would be it for me and Nintendo. Switch doesnt interest me and I think I have played enough Mario games. Of course I know there is tons more than that but at this point with my limited time I am just a PC/PS4 gamer with some retro classics mixed in via emulation or digital.

The only thing that can change my mind really are new zelda games.

Anteo

So I'm taking my time with this game (2-3 hours a night) and I decided to go for the Zora domains divine beast first.

So my next step was to ascend the waterfall and face a Lynel (sp?) and oooooof was I in for a surprise. That thing kicked my arse left and right until I got my tactics right (block and evade on time). I never thought a Zelda game would be so punishing.

My 4 year old son has no chance when he gets to this part, will have to help him.

Thats actually the strongest monster type in the game arguably harder than the final boss, there are steonger variants of the same monster but no other harder monster will be introduced, thats why the npcs recommend to sneak around that area to pick up the arrows it drops by walking.

Edit:basically what im saying is if you managed to defeat the lynel, go to hyrule castle make food and defeat ganon, you are ready.

Monumma

Here's some of the stuff I found. I havent watch/seen and any of them and some I dont even remember why I saved, so everything below could be garbage.

Videos:
The making of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Video: The Beginning, Open-Air Concept, Story and Characters, Bonus Session - by Nintendo
Breaking Conventions with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by GDC
Legend of Zelda: Donkey Breath - by videogamedunkey
Quick Look and Video Game Afternoon: Bradth of the Wild - by Giant Bomb
Exploring 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' and Can We Beat 'Zelda: Breath of the Wild' With Only 3 Lives?: Part 1, 2, 3, 4 - by Waypoint
Finding Zelda Wii U in Breath of the Wild's World - What's Changed Since the 2014 Game Awards?, Zelda: Breath of the Wild Discussion - The Story, the Characters, & the Series' Narrative Future and Secrets of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Map Locations (Zelda NES, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening) - by GameXplain
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - An Open World Adventure | Game Maker's Toolkit and Bonus: The music of Breath of the Wild | Downloadable Comment - by Mark Brown
Developers Weigh In On The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild's Brilliance, A Nerdy Discussion About Zelda: Breath Of The Wild's Timeline Placement [Spoilers] and Miyamoto on Breath of the Wild's Innovations and Zelda's Future - by Game Informer
Zelda BotW Bird-Man Research 7615.8m(4.73mile) Landing on Eventide Island - by ゆきのさん
We Built a Crazy Go Kart in Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by IGN
Our Zelda: Breath of the Wild Spoilercast - by Nintendo Voice Chat
Breath of the Wild - Long Distance Parry 5 - by GirKart64
Breath of the Wild - Not Enough Zelda - by Joseph Anderson
The Iwata Tribute hidden in 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' - by Seaniccus

Writing:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Review Addendum / Companion Article - by Digital Chumps
How First-Step Failures Improved My Zelda Experiences and How I Learned to Love the DIY Map in 'Breath of the Wild' by Waypoint
Why Breath of the Wild is the Future of Blockbuster Games by Verge
100 Little Things in Zelda: Breath of the Wild that will Blow your Mind - by IGN
A Breath of fresh air, and a game I'm Wild about - by MooseyMcMan
Zelda Breath Of The Wild: How To Ride A Guardian and New Tales From The Making Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - by Gamespot
Hookshots, Wii U Maps, And Other Things Nintendo Cut From Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by Kotaku

Twitter:
Cool Details in Zelda: Breath of the Wild - by @TristanACooper
Talking to Hetsu after collecting all 900 Korok Seeds #hetsu #BreathoftheWild #botw - by @Fateawaits520

Neogaf:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]
Zelda's (the character) evolving role in her namesake series and her future.
-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread
Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Screenshot Thread of Adventure!
Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games
Gerudo Town and its diversity in age, body type, and skin is great (BOTW SPOILERS)
I love pretty much everything about the Gerudo in Breath of the Wild

Is there anything else I should see? I read on twitter that IGN was doing some split controller 2 players shenanigans but I can't find it? Was it just a joke?
How's the speedrun community going? What's the WR right now? Is Narcissa speedrunning?

Funny that is my exact stance. I decided that the Wii U and BOTW would be it for me and Nintendo. Switch doesnt interest me and I think I have played enough Mario games. Of course I know there is tons more than that but at this point with my limited time I am just a PC/PS4 gamer with some retro classics mixed in via emulation or digital.

The only thing that can change my mind really are new zelda games.

Yeah, we're in lockstep. Maybe this will dissipate 6 months from now, because like you, I can barely envision a scenario where Switch becomes appealing to me atm.

Where do you get all these from? I don't have any of them.
Been answered already, but mostly amiibo.
Whoa how'd yo get what you are wearing?
Spoofed amiibo until I get the real one.
Those are from the Majora Mask Link amiibo not released yet. He probably used a Power Save disc to unlock the amiibo content.
Nah, just got some NTAGs and used my Android NFC to write it. It's actually surprisingly easy.
Wow 3 hearts, thats crazy!

Hey do those classic Link tunics only come from the Amiibos? I have a few of them but if I scan them I only get one piece of clothing from a set right? Are the rest found in the game or do I scan the amiibos more than once?

- -

Also does anyone know where the rubber shirt/jacket is?
Yep, only from Amiibos sadly. You can scan them once per day, and you have to cross your fingers that you get a different piece each time. But if you don't get what you want, you can always reload until you do.

As for the rubber shirt, I think it was
the reward for completing the Thundara Plateau shrine

RomanceDawn

Been answered already, but mostly amiibo.

Spoofed amiibo until I get the real one.

Nah, just got some NTAGs and used my Android NFC to write it. It's actually surprisingly easy.

Yep, only from Amiibos sadly. You can scan them once per day, and you have to cross your fingers that you get a different piece each time. But if you don't get what you want, you can always reload until you do.

As for the rubber shirt, I think it was
the reward for completing the Thundara Plateau shrine

Ok, good tips, thank you sir/ma'am!

Guess I'll actually run out and get some of those other Link Amiibos beyond the smash ones. I don't mind either.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok that was annoying. The last two side quests I was missing turned out to be in kakariko village. I'd been ignoring that because I thought I'd done all the side quests there
you have to 'restore peace' to the village to get the orb in Impa's house
. Turns out I still needed to do some cooking. Argh.

So, now I've done all side quests, shrine quests and memories. If I do Ganon now, do I get any different ending than when I did him before? I had all memories then, but hadn't finished all quests/shrines.

Just an unrelated side note that it's crazy how this game still gets 100/100 reviews close to two months after the release. Four new in the past week alone.

Very surprising if Breath of the Wild doesn't end up being the best reviewed game of the year.

jariw

All this talk from NPCs about the events that happened 100 years ago... A day in Hyrule is 24 minutes in the real world. With all the hours I've played by now, and with all the skipping to morning/noon/night around campfires, it's more likely that it happened 120 years ago.

30ish hours in now. Have no idea how many shrines I've done, dunno how many towers I've climbed, saw one Lynel and NOPED right on out of it's way.
Killed a couple mini bosses, but still haven't found Hetsu to trade in my korok seads.

I still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface, and that's the most enjoyable thing about it for me. Every time I play, I discover something new, be it a new area or just a quirk in the game mechanics.
I've played a lot of open world games, but this so far is by far the best for genuinely feeling "open".

I've not been this wowed since I first played Oblivion back in 2007, which at the time was the first open world RPG I'd ever played.
Speaking of Bethesda RPGs, I feel like there's some influence from Fallout 3 in BotW.

Still hunting for the final three shrines. Gonna give it a couple more days before looking them up. That said, I found a Lynel with zebra stripes in the plains by the lake. Toughest one by far for me, I think. I thought I had seen them all but there he was with a gigantic fucking club trying to smash me to bits. The dodge/flurry timing on it was a little tough, but I got it eventually. Loved that fight.

Flamebreaker
armor looks like shit. Maybe if I pretend I'm in Bioshock it'll look cooler.

It looks like it was designed by Gorons for Hylians, without knowing exactly what they look like. I think it looks goofy but endearing. I kinda like it, especially with the helm.

---

Also, am I crazy or is there another dark swamp somewhere? I did the one near
The Lost Woods
, but I could've sworn there was one near the Tabantha or Ridgelands Tower that I got to and left at some point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just beat the game

what a ride

I feel empty now though. I did the last two side quests and then cleared out the coliseum for fun. Then teleported to Kakariko village.

The last thing I did before closing the game was talk to one of the kids running around. "I'm going home" he said. Then I realised I didn't really have a home to go to, and just stood in the middle of town in the rain, feeling strangely alone

Sigh.

Time for some short, super linear games for a change of scenery.

finally finished the story.

the boss fight was piss easy as I already had 120 shrines and fully upgraded soldier armor on

i really loved the game and I fear there will not be any game that will come close in the next years... its the first gmae which I think really unconditionally was better than ocarina or link to the past.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I feel empty now though. I did the last two side quests and then cleared out the coliseum for fun. Then teleported to Kakariko village.

The last thing I did before closing the game was talk to one of the kids running around. "I'm going home" he said. Then I realised I didn't really have a home to go to, and just stood in the middle of town in the rain, feeling strangely alone

Sigh.

Time for some short, super linear games for a change of scenery.
...then you warped to Hateno and chilled with Bolson?

Top Bottom