• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100k(40hr/week) vs 300k(55hr/week) salary

I don't know why people really want to sell off their youth just so they can sit around in their old age.

At an extra 200K annually, as long as you don't let your expenses blow up along with the extra income, you could retire very young depending on how old you are now and how the markets move.

Some Nobody

That's such a drastic increase in pay. You're getting triple the salary for not even double the hours. In this imaginary situation, tell you what--shave five hours off that and let me work 50 hours for 200k and my answer is yes. Ten hours a day at work until I'm debt-free and have enough money to buy a car in cash and live in whatever city I wanted.

Then I'd probably drop back down to 40 hours a week for 100k because working more than 40 hours a week better be for your passion or for millions if you're not in debt.

Three hours more M-F? Or adding bits of time during the weekend for triple my money?

I'm taking the $300K option, every time.

MastAndo

If you don't take the latter, you're a madman. A few extra hours a day for 200 extra K a year? There are people working 70-80 hour weeks who won't sniff that salary. Don't be an idiot. Tripling an already decent salary IS a lifechanger.

I make the earlier amount, and I'm fine financially, but it's no cakewalk especially when you start looking into buying property - and I'm a single guy. Then again, I do live in NYC.

Nipo

I don't know why people really want to sell off their youth just so they can sit around in their old age.

In a ridiculous scenario like this where someone will pay you an extra 200K just for working an extra 3-4 hours per day it might make sense, but that's never going to happen.

You can retire fairly comfortably on 1.5 million cash assets. (1,500,000*.04 = 60,000 annual salary). You're looking at a little more than 4 years working to reach that level.

Jarmel

Banned
300k and you’re not really stressed about meeting ends meet barring owning a Ferrari.

This is stupidly easy.

I already work 55+ hours a week and only make less than $24k/year.

So if my career offered that pay bump, you bet your ass I'd still work the hours I do now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Triple pay for 15 hours more a week would be nuts. So, that.

If the 300K was way more hours per week I wouldn't do it though.

Roubjon

I'd do what someone else already said. 50K for 20 hours a week. Who needs that much money? Time is way more valuable. I live pretty comfortably at 20K a year so having another 30K to play around with would rule. And I'd be working half as much!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Breaking into tripple digits made my life a lot easier. Would trippling my salary make my life dramatically better? I dont know. Probably, I think I would do it. but if my marriage suffered from it then I wouldnt consider it worth it.

The idea of working 40 hours a week alone is depressing to me.... But 200K extra for 15 more hours a week? Could use that extra money to speed my way towards retirement.

Plumbob

Breaking into tripple digits made my life a lot easier. Would trippling my salary make my life dramatically better? I dont know. Probably, I think I would do it. but if my marriage suffered from it then I wouldnt consider it worth it.

What about kid's college?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You'd rather continue working up to the day that you croak?

No thanks.

my parents are in their 60s which if you made through 40s and 50s without getting cancer you're already ahead of your peers. But i've seen several of their friends get cancer in their 60s, one of their good friends was just diagnosed with ALS like literally last week.
outside of other tragic shit i cant think of anything more sad than working till your 65 and then dying. You never know when you're going to go, enjoy life while you can.

What?

Assuming someone had the decision to triple an already extremely well off salary, people would fucking kill themselves to be paid $300,000 dollars a year and clocking in 55 hours/ week?

It’s a no brainer.

Depends on the job, 55 hrs a week of making power point presentations or fucking off on a forum isn’t bad, but 55 hr a week as a construction worker could kill you.

mackattk

What?

Assuming someone had the decision to triple an already extremely well off salary, people would fucking kill themselves to be paid $300,000 dollars a year and clocking in 55 hours/ week?

It’s a no brainer.

People are working 55 hours a week for around $40k with a ton of stress.

Yeah I could suck it up for $300k for a few years.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
A lot of people have not worked 55hrs. It is fucking killer. I measure my time and on weeks I am around the 60hr mark, I am fucking going nuts. The one thing that helps is a strict sleep schedule. I cannot do it for more than two weeks straight without a decline in productivity.

It is worth it for the money though.

Plumbob

Think about it this way.

If you were a double income household you could go to a single income household.

Going from 80 hours a week total to 55 hours a week is a net win, and you make more money.

wrowa

The difference is huge, so I probably wouldn‘t be able to decline.

However, if you want to raise a family, the difference between working 8 hours a day and 11 hours a day can be the difference between seeing your kid every day and seeing your kid only during the weekends. I don‘t know if the monetary gain is really worth losing that.

KHarvey16

I'd do the $300k until I paid off all my debts, then switch to $100k. The difference between $100k and $300k is negligible in terms of happiness, unless you have a bunch of money sinks in your life.

Depends where you live. Lots of places being alone with $100k is ok but $300k would be a dramatic difference. Like night and day difference.

Jag

What about kid's college?

This. College savings is a huge % of my overall savings. My oldest graduates HS next year and I'm pretty close to having enough for 4 years. Same with my younger. Been saving since they were born.

You also tend to live at your income level. So a little nicer car, roomier house, better neighborhood, more trips, eat out more, etc. Initially you think you would be as frugal as you were when you could barely pay the rent (I was), but after time, it is so easy to fall into the spending money trap. Even if you are not buying huge ticket items.

I would do that 300k a year for a couple years, bank as much as I can, invest them all in index funds then retire early so I'm free to do whatever I want afterwards.

mhayes86

I wouldn't mind the 55 hours a week at least temporarily to pay off student debt, but I'd like a better work/life balance.

100k, no question. That's an exceptional amount of money for the average single person and 40hrs would allow time to actually do things with your life and money. And have energy and motivation to do them.

If you're really desperate for that extra cash, set aside part of your salary for smart investing and a few years down the line you'll be making even more for the same hours a week.

Severance

55 hours a week is no joke. I work to live, I don't live to work. I want to enjoy life now, not save it all for when I'm 50 or 60. As it is, 40 hours a week is a drag. I understand that some people don't mind and thrive on working 55-60+ hours a week... But they are some of the most boring people I've met in my life. No thanks, 100k and free time? Yes please!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Would Go for 55/wk in a heartbeat.

About $200k a year

That's not near enough money for that type of sacrifice to me, especially when our lives are good and happy at my current salary. If i was making like 50/60k a year, than yeah, the sacrifice is worth it, but not how life is now.

300k? Maybe... It really depends how good/shitty the job was. It's not as clear cut in either direction as people are making it out to be...

mackattk

55 hours a week is no joke. I work to live, I don't live to work. I want to enjoy life now, not save it all for when I'm 50 or 60. As it is, 40 hours a week is a drag. I understand that some people don't mind and thrive on working 55-60+ hours a week... But they are some of the most boring people I've met in my life. No thanks, 100k and free time? Yes please!

IF you are making an extra 300% a year you can retire three times faster. If you play your cards right you dont have to retire at 50 or 60. You can retire in 5-6 years.

You know what?

This is actually a brilliant hypothetical, OP.

Your answer and reasoning says so much about you.

It's like the Invisibility vs. Flight one.

With 300k, I could do more investing and retire early. Easily 300k. I would live on the 100k and use the other 200k for investing. Max out 401k, IRA, etc.

Samy

Neo Member
Depends where. If it were NYC or SF, almost everyone would pick the 300k easily.
If you live in Boise, Idaho; i'm sure you'd do well enough without the 200k/yr

Top Bottom