• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

TrutaS

I just hope Arya and Sansa's plot gets resolved in a satisfying way, rather than have them end the year on a stupid betrayal/feud cliffhanger.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Gregor didn't die

Went into a deep coma if anything, suffered Necrosis, then was revived by force through Qyburns means.

He's 'undead' in the sense that he's kinda mindless after the poison.

Yeah I don't take Cersei as the kind of person to look too deeply into how exactly Gregor was healed. He is obedient, that is perfect.

SteveWD40

What.

She has the mountain at her side. She already has the proof she needs that people people can be brought back to life.

Jon and The Mountain can be written off as "healing" (or some variant of that).

A Wight, with missing skin, organs and glowing blue eyes is a little more definitive.

I just hope Arya and Sansa's plot gets resolved in a satisfying way, rather than have them end the year on a stupid betrayal/feud cliffhanger.

Yeah.

I dislike their plotline this season but if its resolved in a way that shows how they've grown and evolved as characters (like say them flipping the situation around on Littlefinger) it'd be...not worth it, per se, but as good as we could hope for.

Some cliffhanger of the Stark kids conflicting with each other would be so boring and unnecessary. Also what the hell is Bran doing now. I think he's been sitting in the Godswood for most of the season...

Yeah I don't take Cersei as the kind of person to look too deeply into how exactly Gregor was healed. He is obedient, that is perfect.

Jon and The Mountain can be written off as "healing" (or some variant of that).

A Wight, with missing skin, organs and glowing blue eyes is a little more definitive.

Yup

Cersei might be thinking of planning to backstab everyone, the thought of knowing there is a force out there that is uncontrollable and that cannot be reasoned nor controlled might shake her. Cerseis whole thing is control, and killing things that take away that control. If the White Walkers attack, and Cersei manages to backstab and kill Jon+Dany, then she is smart enough to know that their corpses will comeback and bolster the Night Kings army, and she will be fucked badly.

So I feel two end games-
One, she helps Jon and Dany repeal and defeat the Night King(Unlikely)

Two, she will proceed to try and backstab Jon and Dany, she might successfully kill one, and Jamie will backstab and kill her before possibly killing himself. Because if Cersei isn't smart enough to realize that killing her allies will lead to suicide, Jamie will.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Of course, Littlefinger went from starting wars, assassinating kings, taking over huge realms to, uh, getting sisters to bicker? "Chaos is a ladder. Nothing starts more chaos than if two sisters who aren't even players in the game of thrones are sort of mean to each other!"

If Littlefinger gets killed in the season finale it's going to be a terrible disservice to his character - because this is what he is up to at the time. For a while I thought he might end up sitting on the Iron Throne through a 'last man standing' kind of scenario, but the way the show has taken his character is making that look incredibly unlikely.

They did Doran Martell dirty as well - another master planner who was reduced to man in wheelchair getting stabbed.

Massa

Yeah, book Sansa is learning from Littlefinger how to gather power and manipulate people. D&D must have thought that was boring, so instead they had her get raped a bunch of times.

This season Sansa has spent it arguing with/being jealous of her cousin and having some kind of pointless rivalry with her sister.

Of course, Littlefinger went from starting wars, assassinating kings, taking over huge realms to, uh, getting sisters to bicker? "Chaos is a ladder. Nothing starts more chaos than if two sisters who aren't even players in the game of thrones are sort of mean to each other!"

Come on now, Littlefinger is just turning the lords of the north against the King in the North.

If Littlefinger gets killed in the season finale it's going to be a terrible disservice to his character - because this is what he is up to at the time. For a while I thought he might end up sitting on the Iron Throne through a 'last man standing' kind of scenario, but the way the show has taken his character is making that look incredibly unlikely.

They did Doran Martell dirty as well - another master planner who was reduced to man in wheelchair getting stabbed.

His character has been in the trash since season 4/5. It's time to put the guy out to pasture (well, that time was 2 seasons ago but better late than never).

Montresor

Please let DopeyFish be wrong. I don't want Arya to be the Waif.

Why do we think Nymeria was the direwolf that Arya met earlier in the season?

My interpretation of the scene was:

1) Arya gets surrounded by a pack of wolves, whose leader happens to be a big direwolf

2) Arya stares down the direwolf, thinking it's Nymeria

3) The direwolf is NOT Nymeria. The direwolf doesn't recognize Arya, because it doesn't know who Arya is. The direwolf retreats with the rest of its wolves, not because it has an affinity for Arya, but because it respects/fears Arya (which I think is fair, as Arya is one of Ned Stark's children, was a recipient of one of seven direwolves each assigned to protect Ned Stark's children, and the sigil of her house is the direwolf, etc...).

If the direwolf actually was Nymeria, my argument is that Nymeria would have embraced Arya. And I don't think Arya would let Nymeria go that easily either.

1) Arya gets surrounded by a pack of wolves, whose leader happens to be a big direwolf

3) The direwolf is NOT Nymeria. The direwolf doesn't recognize Arya, because it doesn't know who Arya is. The direwolf retreats with the rest of its wolves, not because it has an affinity for Arya, but because it respects/fears Arya (which I think is fair, as Arya is one of Ned Stark's children, was a recipient of one of seven direwolves each assigned to protect Ned Stark's children, and the sigil of her house is the direwolf, etc...).

If the direwolf actually was Nymeria, my argument is that Nymeria would have embraced Arya. And I don't think Arya would let Nymeria go that easily either.
No, it was Nymeria. That was pretty clear. But the scene showed how they had both changed and weren't the same anymore. Nymeria wasn't the same direwolf as earlier, she didn't wait around years for Arya to return but went on and has her own pack now.

It was a scene meant to close that part of the story. Just how they brought Benjen back to finish up that part.

Or maybe they'll bring her back later to fight White Walkers with Ghost.

KHlover

Banned
Why would the waif slaughter all the Freys? Why would she head for Winterfell? Why would she just stay there without making any real moves? She has zero reason to do so. Assuming some "dying wish" scenario is laughable, Jaquen gave Arya three kills back when she saved him, which is already equivalent to a mind-boggling amount of money if he werr hired the usual way. Wiping out an entire house (of such a big size!) would probably be completely unaffordable for anyone, even aftee taking the faceless men's pricing model intp account. Certainly not something that can be bought with a single life. Not to mention that the waif has zero reason to fulfill Arya any last wishes.

That entire "theory" is mind-numbingly dumb.

MudoSkills

Someone correct me but there's a lot of parts in Arya's PoV chapters when they're leaving Harrenhal where she 'dreams' about being a wolf, gathering a pack, feeding and attacking stray Lannister soldiers.

With that in mind, it's pretty clear that she was warging into Nymeria at the time, and that this wolf pack has carried on while she was in Bravos, and are who she came across.

Maybe if you actually hears what she said and understood it you'd know that it was nymeria.

She's still warging into nymeria in bravos.

Yeah.

I dislike their plotline this season but if its resolved in a way that shows how they've grown and evolved as characters (like say them flipping the situation around on Littlefinger) it'd be...not worth it, per se, but as good as we could hope for.

Some cliffhanger of the Stark kids conflicting with each other would be so boring and unnecessary. Also what the hell is Bran doing now. I think he's been sitting in the Godswood for most of the season...

It seems to me that Littlefinger has a good chance of dying in this season's finale. Sansa has already acknowledged in this season that she learnt a few life lessons from Cersei's more ruthless approach to foes. Foreshadowing perhaps.

I'm guessing that Sansa will trace the source of Arya's recent anger and revelations back to Littlefinger and take him out somehow.

It's difficult to see how else Littlefinger's story is going to progress from here if he doesn't die. He doesn't really have much contact with others at the moment. Other characters are or soon will be in direct contact making him surplus to requirements.

Bran could also be a catalyst to this by dropping a few truth bombs to the other Starks about Littlefinger to edge the story towards Littlefinger's death.

Currently in Winterfell there's all the characters and motive to kill Littlefinger off now. His death will at least give some reason to all the time that Winterfell has had wasted on it this season because other than that this story thread has gone no where.

Why would the waif slaughter all the Freys? Why would she head for Winterfell? Why would she just stay there without making any real moves? She has zero reason to do so. Assuming some "dying wish" scenario is laughable, Jaquen gave Arya three kills back when she saved him, which is already equivalent to a mind-boggling amount of money if he werr hired the usual way. Wiping out an entire house (of such a big size!) would probably be completely unaffordable for anyone, even aftee taking the faceless men's pricing model intp account. Certainly not something that can be bought with a single life. Not to mention that the waif has zero reason to fulfill Arya any last wishes.

Agreed. What you just posted is all it takes to debunk this braindead theory.

Forkball

Littlefinger is among those totally useless characters this season whose only role is to distract from the more important story arcs.

I can't stand the way he speaks. I hope he dies.

which one of his dialects do you have a problem with exactly?

giphy.gif

Moff

I love littlefinger and loved Gillen playing him. But D&D can't write him, he was trash this and last season.

jfkgoblue

Someone correct me but there's a lot of parts in Arya's PoV chapters when they're leaving Harrenhal where she 'dreams' about being a wolf, gathering a pack, feeding and attacking stray Lannister soldiers.

With that in mind, it's pretty clear that she was warging into Nymeria at the time, and that this wolf pack has carried on while she was in Bravos, and are who she came across.
Yeah the show dropped Arya and Jon's warging ability

Littlefinger is so worthless on the show. He has obviously been done for like 2 seasons but they need to do something with the guy who was behind so much of the events

And no matter what happens in a show with Daenerys he's not threatening as she could burn him immediately

Littlefinger is so worthless on the show. He has obviously been done for like 2 seasons but they need to do something with the guy who was behind so much of the events

And no matter what happens in a show with Daenerys he's not threatening as she could burn him immediately

I had some hope when he showed up in Winterfell that Littlefinger would be forced to acknowledge the threat of the Night King, dealing with chaos that even he can't turn to his advantage. Seemed like an interesting turn for such a ruthlessly pragmatic character.

But yeah, I keep giving D&D too much credit.

Tripon

The director commentary said it was Nymeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZB-bxAHv4s

Littlefinger and Varys' reactions to the white walkers threat would have been a fantastic thing to see. It should have shaken two men, who pride themselves on their knowledge, to the core.

But instead we get Ed Sheeran and boneless sex.

You can pretty easily shoot the theory down without going to all that trouble. Arya brings the Waif's face to the temple with her and places it with all the other faces in the hall. Therefore, some really quick, simple face arithmetic tells me there's no way Arya can be the Waif.

Also- how in the hell was anyone confused by the Nymeria scene? How could it have possibly played out any more clearly without involving a closeup of a dog collar with a nametag and address on it? It's fucking Nymeria, people. Arya literally says, "Nymeria?" right away upon seeing her.

KHlover

Banned
You can pretty easily shoot the theory down without going to all that trouble. Arya brings the Waif's face to the temple with her and places it with all the other faces in the hall. Therefore, some really quick, simple face arithmetic tells me there's no way Arya can be the Waif.

Also- how in the hell was anyone confused by the Nymeria scene? How could it have possibly played out any more clearly without involving a closeup of a dog collar with a nametag and address on it? It's fucking Nymeria, people. Arya literally says, "Nymeria?" right away upon seeing her.
Yeah but what if the waif cut off both of their faces, brought her own face back to the temple of the many-faced god and wore multiple masks whenever we saw "Arya" imitate someone? 🤔

Just typing this out hurt my brain. The fact some people seriously argue in favor of the waif thoery is astonishing

Gigglepoo

This season exemplifies why spoilers don't really bother me. Plot points in and of themselves matter very little. It's all about the execution.

I still remember hearing, before Half-Blood Prince was released, that
Snape killed Dumbledore
. And that moment was still incredible and came as a shock because JK Rowling is a great writer.

An incredible plot development delivered poorly lands like a wet fart no matter if you knew it was coming or not.

Littlefinger really wants to get all up in Sansa as a consolation prize. Once he got pussy on the mind he lost all of his scheming skills.

Finding out the faces work as actual masks and not "tokens" which i still think they do in some way was a bit boring. Arya said she would know all of her secrets is she wore the mask. There is a magical element to them.

MudoSkills

Arya said she would know all of her secrets is she wore the mask. There is a magical element to them.

Definitely, when she first wears someone else's face she talks about feeling their pain/knowing their memories.

Just to underline what other people have said, this doesn't make the waif theory any less unlikely. Yes, if she had her face she could know about the Frey's etc, but she wouldn't be motivated to do anything about it.

mantidor

Definitely, when she first wears someone else's face she talks about feeling their pain/knowing their memories.

Just to underline what other people have said, this doesn't make the waif theory any less unlikely. Yes, if she had her face she could know about the Frey's etc, but she wouldn't be motivated to do anything about it.

I was half disappointed with the show, at least Arya does say that you literally live the life of the person so it is indeed magical, but when they showed the masks they just looked like cheap Halloween props made of rubber.

Gigglepoo

I mean if Dany ignored Tyrion and sacked kings landing day one we could've skipped through a lot. It probably wouldn't be too bad.

Very true. I think D&D don't want to go into next season without a human adversary, but if it's just one season they could have removed Cercei without any worries. And then Jon wouldn't have to capture a wight either.

Stupid Tyrion ruins everything.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dany and Jon will both be dead with the baby being taken care of by LF who is running everything in the baby's stead.

Top Bottom