• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Wow, that looks amazing. I'm so glad that someone's finally done this.

The last I had read about this, this wasn't something planning to be done since the Nintendo DS using both 2D and 3D textures separately, and that can cause problems since they would both need to be upscaled at the same time and independently in a way that doesn't create glitches.

I remember several months back reading the blog of someone who had found a way to upscale the 3D of Nintendo DS games. But since the 2D textures weren't perfectly upscaled with it, it was glitchy and caused many games to be completely unplayable.

And many emulator developers seemed completely uninterested in improving textures at all. I think I remember reading one time that many developers for Nintendo DS emulators were completely against graphical enhancements being developed. Though I have no idea why. Perhaps they just didn't want to do it themselves and I heard wrong.

But I'm so glad that this has happened, because I've always wanted this. And I'm so glad it's being done. This looks much better to me. All of these screenshots look so great.

This kind of makes me want to go back and replay the English patched version of the Nintendo DS version of Tales of Innocence. I've played both the DS version and the Vita version a few times. And the Vita version is much better. But I feel like it would be fun to re-experience the English version of the game again this way.

This is so exciting!

PsionBolt

Ugh, how do I get screenshots of this thing? I've got it up and running, but the normal screenshot function only gets native res for some reason.

gngf123

Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
iOSIvdoXRh3jH.png

ibhqFnye3aqDaR.png

iZ5112Ld09VpK.png

iq6bKxCnEFtEf.png

ib21OGunj2q0dr.png

Damn that looks pretty.

Mashing

What does TWEWY look like? I imagine the framerate is nigh unplayable though, but it might look good in stills.

PsionBolt

You could use the Print Screen button on your keyboard or the Snipping Tool if you use Win7/8.

Okay. I'm using a toaster right now, so my screen resolution is actually lower than the max setting for this, but here're some print-screen comparisons of 3x rendering at least. From The Idolmaster Dearly Stars:

Looks pretty similar to the PSP game, actually!

Decided to give this a shot. Please let me know if these don't work.

Your images work fine on my end. How did you take them?

Moon doesn't look as nice as hunters does scaled up due to the textures.

iOS had a port of the DS sonic racing (so to speak) with better textures so that upscale looks rough to me.

I have been wondering for a while why nobody did that before, especially considering you can change the resolution in pretty much every other 3D emulator...

I love the look of some of the screens. The style of pixel art mixed with low poly 3D is really great. For example, the image from the OP:

I wish more games would have a style like that.

It also looks to work well on non-3D elements in games. Just look at Pokemon. Before, when sprites were scaled (zoomed in / out) and rotated, they would lose a lot of detail due to the DS screen's resolution. With the higher resolution, they remain sharp. See:

also this:

So yes, this is something I will totally play around with.

So how does one go from owning DS games to playing them on an emulator on their PC?

If you have a DS flash cartridge that allows you to hot swap (most do, IIRC), you can actually dump your DS games over wi-fi.

A good place to see how to do it, as well as other ways of dumping DS games, is here:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-dump-your-own-3ds-ds-games-saves.274290/

The link also mentions other methods which involve slot 2 devices (flash cards and storage that plug into your DS's GBA slot).

Okay. I'm using a toaster right now, so my screen resolution is actually lower than the max setting for this, but here're some print-screen comparisons of 3x rendering at least. From The Idolmaster Dearly Stars:

QAW96t4.png

The artists who worked on that must have cried themselves to sleep after seeing it in the DS resolution

Bricky

This is why I love emulation, for games with 3D assets and a good art direction it's essentially a way to stay beautiful forever. I have to try this myself once it gets more stable.

In other news, I just noticed this topic is now an article on Kotaku. Thought PGamer might like to know his screens are being shown there. :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Shit - I just realized that we will get this version on the Wii U first and most likely only instead of the N64 version...
Could be Yoshi's Island all over again.

If they added analog support (properly), it'd be the best version imo.

Foffy

Banned
To be fair the Wii U should be capable of doing so for DS games...

Should, could, but will it? How many Nintendo games have gotten boosts with their VC releases from Nintendo? Ocarina of Time's visual resolution seems to be the only one ringing in my mind.

deleted

If they added analog support (properly), it'd be the best version imo.

I'm not a fan of the specific character = specific moveset option. Some of the updates are nice, but there is a lot of stuff that made it worse than the original.

PsionBolt

Should, could, but will it? How many Nintendo games have gotten boosts with their VC releases from Nintendo? Ocarina of Time's visual resolution seems to be the only one ringing in my mind.

Aren't all of the N64 VC games 480p? The N64 is the only 3D system they've released VC games for, and the Wii's max output was 480p, so if anything, you can say that they've upgraded 100% of applicable VC games. (I may be misremembering, but I think it was all of them.)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm not a fan of the specific character = specific moveset option. Some of the updates are nice, but there is a lot of stuff that made it worse than the original.
Yeah, that's not that great, but it's not too intrusive, if you're playing as Yoshi (as I of course always did ^^), because there are the hats. I'd pay Nintendo some good money for a downloadable application allowing me to play my cart of MS64DS properly with the circle pad.

Ein Bear

Every single N64 game on the Wii Virtual Console was rendered at 480p, which was an upgrade over their original resolutions on the N64 itself. I'm really curious to see how they handle DS/N64 games when they eventually hit the VC on Wii U, I honestly don't know what to expect.

jackal27

Banned
Phantasy Star 0 and 4 Heroes of Light

(TToTT)

Those games were already gorgeous and now... Geeze man. The DS is my favorite console ever and this thread making me feel so very many things.

Anybody have some gameplay shots of Animal Crossing: Wild World? It looked terrible last time I loaded it up lol. Really curious to see how it'd look emulated.

Jamix012

How about COP the recruit? It was an open world DS game that actually looked pretty amazing for the hardware...wonder if it looks nicer at higher resolution.

jackal27

Banned
Hot damn, never heard of this game. Is it any good?

It's so good. If you loved the original Phantasy Star Online, you will love this. Same time-based combat, online and local multiplayer, tons of loot and classes/races. Good stuff. Even single player is pretty dang enjoyable.

DS games not being offered in a virtual console type arrangement is just another area in which Nintendo is dropping the ball with the Wii U. There could be a flood of games from bygone systems and generations that I'd love to play on the Wii U right now, but Nintendo isn't putting in the work to make it happen. It's a damn shame.

Hot damn, never heard of this game. Is it any good?

I liked it well enough. I put a couple hundred hours in to Phantasy Star Online, tried to get in to Phantasy Star Universe and couldn't stand it. Phantasy Star Zero is more like PSO than PSU, and I played it to the end of singleplayer.

Unfortunately me and my friends could never get our wifi set up properly to let us go questing online much, and all of the Nintendo Wifi Connection stuff is gonna be shut down soon anyway so it won't matter.

But as a singleplayer loot-based action RPG, it's enjoyable enough. A little bit repetitive, but I think that comes with the territory.

Edit: Actually, I wrote a more detailed review here, if you're interested.

Some of these look great, especially the Phantasy Star, Pokemon, and Idolm@ster screens. I wonder how Tales of Innocence looks on this with the outlines turned out? ToI looked great for a DS game.

jackal27

Banned
I liked it well enough. I put a couple hundred hours in to Phantasy Star Online, tried to get in to Phantasy Star Universe and couldn't stand it. Phantasy Star Zero is more like PSO than PSU, and I played it to the end of singleplayer.

Unfortunately me and my friends could never get our wifi set up properly to let us go questing online much, and all of the Nintendo Wifi Connection stuff is gonna be shut down soon anyway so it won't matter.

But as a singleplayer loot-based action RPG, it's enjoyable enough. A little bit repetitive, but I think that comes with the territory.

If you can find a buddy, local multiplayer is always an option as well. I would really love to see the fans find a way to keep the online connection going like they did with PSO.

Keyouta

Phantasy Star, Pokemon, and Idolm@ster look amazing.

Now I want to see 3DS games emulated at 720 or 1080p. It'll be a long while before that.

Can D's emulator support hd textures? I would like to see the D's pokemon gamed touched up to it's render resolution it would look sk gorgeous.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Would the DS4 be able to work for buttons and touch screen at the same time? If so, DS emulation is totally viable (outside of technical weirdness).

Top Bottom